Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What does everyone do with the spare bricks that come in every lego set?

B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
I tend to bag up the spares and throw em back in the box with the instructions (yes, sadly I am a box hoarder !)

Just wondered what others do!
Oldfan

Comments

• BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 764
    Straight in the spares. Box in recycle, but I keep the instructions.
    DrmnezMrs_Wobblehead
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    I Just throw em in with my bulk pieces. I am bit of a box hoarder myself. It a good thing all the set I buy aren't the same size #10237 Tower of Orthanc.
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 920
    In the spares... unless I can stick them on the set (all the random 1x1 cheese slopes and studs in the LOTR sets usually went straight onto the set with no discernable difference!
  • B0SSKB0SSK In the PubMember Posts: 175
    I had loads of pieces left after building the mos eisley cantina. Maybe I missed a step!
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,638
  • talostalos Member Posts: 49
    I started to just pour them in a container, kind of like a loose change bowl of Lego. That got filled up, and now I have a few cabinets of parts, and now put the parts in their respective drawers. I am deep into MOC building, so most stuff gets used eventually.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,659
    Special drawer, of course :)
    MiniFigHunter
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    For sets that come with very unique extra parts (like for example the Minecraft printed pieces) I put them in a ziplock bag and either put them in the original box, or if I don't keep the box, in a special drawer.The rest just merge them in the appropriate storage drawers with other loose pieces.
  • ClumsybumsyClumsybumsy Member Posts: 16
    I have them in a small container and they get used when i need them. When I dismantle my buildings I put them in their parts type bin.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited October 2014
    Leave them in the box they came out of.
    Oldfan
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    B0SSK said:

I tend to bag up the spares and throw em back in the box with the instructions (yes, sadly I am a box hoarder !)

Just wondered what others do!

Never kept a box in my life and maybe 1% of the sets I have bought are still together. All parts end up sorted for use in builds. Who has room to keep sets in boxes? ;)
    Drmnez
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    I like to do things like bellow (my R2 Server droid) any that I don't have an immediate use for go into trays based on what they are.

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,550
    I melt the top of the studs smooth, then brand them with tiny MegaBlocks logos.
    GreenArrow5752scoobydooKevin_HyattRedbullgivesuwindCaptainClutch
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    When I would accrue enough, I used to put them in shoeboxes, photograph them with instructions of expensive sets, and sell them on eBay.

I ran out of shoeboxes so now I put them into back into the empty LEGO boxes, carefully reseal them, and exchange them as new. Rinse and repeat.

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,357
    I hide them in strangers shoes at the gym.
    DoubleDelectrobovineBrickmanGothamConstructionCodimefieldRedbullgivesuwindstarfailurekor
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    I sneak into people's homes in the middle of the night and sprinkle them on the floor between the bed and the bathroom. Nothing gets your day going like stepping on a LEGO first thing in the morning.
  • NikaliptusNikaliptus AustraliaMember Posts: 27
    I'm with the OP; I put them in a little ziploc bag, and store them in the box for the set they came with, along with the instructions (and purchase receipt)...OCD much?!? ;-)
    B0SSK said:

I had loads of pieces left after building the mos eisley cantina. Maybe I missed a step!

That happened to me with Falling Water, haha! I couldn't be bothered dismantling and rebuilding it, but I trawled the instructions several times, looking for the missed step, but couldn't find it. Oh well, next time I get the urge to build it, I guess I'll find out...

Andor
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 947
    ^Not too OCD. Considering I've had to send faxes of my receipts to LEGO multiple times because they were missing pieces. I've kept all of my receipts since then because I have so many issues with them. Hmm, no wonder I haven't purchased 1/4 of what I used to..

As far as extras, they go into the rest of the pieces. Might as well use them, until they break that is. I'm looking at you cheese slopes.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    Add them to my LEGO parts collection to build MOC's
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,565
    I used to add them to my spare parts bins, but because I do not want to confuse new gray and old gray I tend not to do that anymore. I usually just add them into a 'to be determined' pile that I have for parts I really do not categorize easily.
    Usually if it is a part that I know I have a ton of (from pic a brick) Ill throw them in one of those cups.
  • BrickmanBrickman Ol' Brick SquareMember Posts: 42
    I eat them. Adds to my imagination. Nah lol. Add them to my parts collection.
  • iplanteiplante USMember Posts: 164
    If it's a set for which im keeping the box, the the extras go back in the box. Those are usually architecture and things like the Mini Cooper.

Other sets, especially polys and smaller creator sets go in a small tote and I toss the boxes.
  • The_Sly_FoxThe_Sly_Fox Member Posts: 42
    I just assumed everybody listed them on BrickLink for $10 a piece
    starfailure
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,967
    Mine get to spend time with all the other spare parts in a Really Useful Box (I'm surely not alone there?!)
  • BlakstoneBlakstone Member Posts: 11
    My spare parts go on a pile on my dresser for a few days or weeks. Then the pile gets moved to my lab (aka Hobby Room). Whenever I get the bug, I sort it by function into a Stack On or by color into one of numerous containers.

I build every set to assimilate the knowledge and distinctiveness of each build. But most sets are scrapped and turned into raw brick for MOCs.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    edited October 2014
    mine usually go into the unsorted random crap bin until a sorting run happens which moves the part to the boxes they belong to
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 726
    Mine go into a ziplock with label and into the extra part box, so when I build it again I can find the part that wasn't actually extra that I missed the first time. "Oh, that's why it didn't attach/look right."
  • ObserverObserver Member Posts: 60
    I eat them to consume their power.
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 444
    If it's a normal set, the spares go in big box, from which the cats remove random pieces, then bat them around the floor until they go under the furniture. If it's a 2 or 3 in 1 set the leftover pieces (which might be used in the alternate builds) go in a bag marked with the set number.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    edited October 2014
    Brickman said:

I eat them. Adds to my imagination.

Observer said:

Surprised by the number of people who do this.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    Put them with the other parts. Sometimes, I might combine them with the parts I have to add something to the model I just built.
  • The_Mad_VulcanThe_Mad_Vulcan SeattleMember Posts: 162
    The same thing that i do with all the other parts in the set -> build MOCs.
    Blakstone
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163

Brickman said:

I eat them. Adds to my imagination.

Observer said:

Surprised by the number of people who do this.

Is this where one of the British tabloids writes a headline: "Adults Addicted to Eating LEGO"?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,078
    I've convinced two people if they eat them it boasts certain powers like imagination.

So I never have spares.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,146
    I've just recently decided to bag in one of those tiny baggies all the spares from a set. That way I can keep a "complete" inventory of every set.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 764
    Surprised nobody use them for seeding their Lego fields! The harvest provides an abundance of pieces and it's a lot cheaper than the PAB...
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 651
    ^Great idea! I'd never thought of eating them raw either. I usually bake them into a pie or melt them down to use as cookie dough.

But in actually, I have one of those three-drawer sorters with removable tray dividers that I use brand new parts for building. I have one little cup reserved for "I really don't know what to do with this right now nor do I feel like remembering where it belongs in my convoluted system" pieces, and then I sort them into my building parts at a later time.
  • jockosjunglejockosjungle Member Posts: 701
    I build using six plastic tubs to sort the pieces, so I just leave them in there for the next build, starting to get ridiculous now