Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

21110 Research Institute

Comments

• NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    I will probably never be able to get this at the store, as I can only go on weekends in the next town over. As I look at it, it will be a good lesson for my daughter in getting the parts for the dino and tools and building without a set.... But it is frustrating.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited September 2014
    In the UK at least once the second production ran came in the exo suit has never been out of stock.
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    my personal opinion says that lego and resellers have symbiotic relationship. there is no way lego is going to cut off resellers completely.

if they do that then i am pretty sure half of their sales will be gone. otherwise really how hard is it to force the limit for online purchase if they really want to.

amazon has done it for last so many years. its not really difficult but they don't want to do that why? because its not in their best interest. they can enforce that during the signup process and/or later when the credit-card etc are used. not really really impossible thing to do.

they are trying to discourage resellers but not really enforcing.

i think more than 50% of their production are going to resellers for future/later selling.

monkeyhanger
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,517
    edited September 2014

my personal opinion says that lego and resellers have symbiotic relationship. there is no way lego is going to cut off resellers completely.

if they do that then i am pretty sure half of their sales will be gone. otherwise really how hard is it to force the limit for online purchase if they really want to.

amazon has done it for last so many years. its not really difficult but they don't want to do that why? because its not in their best interest. they can enforce that during the signup process and/or later when the credit-card etc are used. not really really impossible thing to do.

they are trying to discourage resellers but not really enforcing.

i think more than 50% of their production are going to resellers for future/later selling.

Ok, but a limit of 5? 2 I can understand, as 1 is a bit restrictive, but I can see if someone has two daughters/kids or whatnot.. but 'limit' of 5... on a set you KNOW is sought after?
    I mean if you are going to limit then you can enforce it, or at least should. As you say Amazon has no problem with this. I think this is more of LEGO wants to be cheap and not update their systems to stop this kind of activity. It is not in their best interest to let it go on either, as plenty of people want these.
    Will resellers always find a way to buy? Probably and they likely do already to avoid the possible ban that LEGO already does to those they think are resellers based on their purchasing habits. However, as a company, they cannot say 'we are going to block those with think are resellers', but endorse this activity by making 'only' a limit of 5 at a store,which is just silly IMO.
    Consistency is all I think people want to see here. Either take steps to stop it, or do not, and stop banning people from buying if they appear to be a reseller.
    I just wish Amazon got these as well in the US, then I actually have a chance to get one because they enforce their limits at least.
    Bumblepantsdougts
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,359
    Maybe they have large stocks coming and they need resellers to stock up to get rid of them! :-)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,980
    I think people make too big a deal of the LEGO Group's activities to discourage resellers. Sure, they don't like resellers taking advantage of certain promotions that are intended for the end user, like the damaged-box sales that the LEGO Group used to have during fan events like Brickfair. And they don't like how resellers contribute to the public perception that LEGO is overpriced by jacking up prices. But that doesn't mean they're committed to destroying the resellers' market or anything like that. On a certain level, independent resellers are not much different from LEGO retailers in that they can help get the product from the assembly line to its audience. At the end of the day, the sets are still being sold.

I have a hard time imagining that in cases like this more sets end up in the hands of resellers than in the hands of actual end users. That kind of situation is not really any more advantageous or sustainable for resellers than it is for the LEGO Group, because the goal of both parties is to get the product into the hands of customers.
    rocao
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    edited October 2014
    I was able to snag one of these on September 30th, it was the only item in the order and I used VIP points. Just received the following email:

"We're sorry! A system error on September 30 caused 30265 Chima Worriz' Fire Bike, a free LEGO® gift with purchase, to be cancelled from your order. We no longer have the 30265 Chima Worriz' Fire Bike to send out.

Since we'd like to make sure you get something to replace the missing gift, we'll be sending the current free gift, 40106 Toy Workshop. It'll be sent separately and should arrive in the next 2-3 weeks."

I really wanted that Chima polybag but will have to settle for the Workshop:) It will likely be squashed in a bubble mailer but I need one to open anyway!
    CupIsHalfEmptymargot
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Wow. Very generous swap
    Pitfall69
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,359
    I think you got the better deal there!
    binaryeyemadforLEGO
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    Imagine what the post would have been with a substitution the other way around!
    madforLEGO
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    Just a heads up that the Lego store in Charlotte NC got a new shipment of #21110 Research Institute in today. Not sure if other stores are on the same restocking schedule, but worth a call to your local store to ask if more have arrived. I picked up one, didn't even ask if I could buy two. They weren't on the floor, but were being held in back for people who had signed up to be called when more came into stock. Good luck!
    madforLEGO
    Thanks @Ronyar‌ One of the stores by me had them in stock. Just have to run over there and pick it up!
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    My store (Costa Mesa, CA) got 7 of #21110 Research Institute for sale this morning -- a strict limit of one per person. The manager passed out tickets to those of us waiting in line (we queued up before the store opened), and you had to have the ticket to make the purchase.

FYI, she informed us that her store, and possibly other locations in So. California, will be getting a small amount of R.I.s each week during the remainder of October -- so YMMV but check your local LEGO store!
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,017
    The whole Research institute availability is a complete fiasco. It was all over the papers and news at the time of release but no-one could buy it. Lego have now missed out on all of the potential sales that this publicity gave them. Absolutely crazy....
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    None in STL
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    ^Is there a Lego store in Ferguson?
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Ronyar said:

Just a heads up that the Lego store in Charlotte NC got a new shipment of #21110 Research Institute in today. Not sure if other stores are on the same restocking schedule, but worth a call to your local store to ask if more have arrived. I picked up one, didn't even ask if I could buy two. They weren't on the floor, but were being held in back for people who had signed up to be called when more came into stock. Good luck!

Dad blam it! I was just there yesterday!
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    Yeah I got one today. How strict are they with the only one per house. Can they see if I got one already with my VIP card
    @ecmo47‌ I was there yesterday too! I stopped in and asked about availability, and they put me on a list for them to call if they came in. They also said they got trucks on Tuesdays, so I just proactively called today and they happened to get them in. Would have been much more convenient not to drive there twice! (Although if I remember correctly, you live much further away than I do. ). I'm curious to see if this is all they get, or if more will be showing up over time. No idea if they are checking VIP rewards to see if you've gotten more than one, but they were certainly checking off names from the list they had of people who were interested in a set.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    I wasn't on a list I just called I am going in the morning there was two left after I got mine and the mall was had a hour till close I guess I will pay in cash just in case
  • IanCambridgeIanCambridge Cambridge, EnglandMember Posts: 9
    I bought one at the weekend from the brand store in Westfield, Shepherd's Bush (London). They had a fair few on the shelves.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Ronyar: I asked about it but was not offered to be but on a list. I did pick up 1 Tumbler which was on a 1-per-family restriction. When I went to check-out, the lady took my VIP card in the back to verify that I had not already pruchased one. I dont know what system them had but it did not detect that I had grabbed one off Lego.com when they first came out.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    I called a couple store in southern california and they said they had no idea when they were coming in. Wasn't offered to be on a list or anything. They pretty much said to call again next month.
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 543
    Plenty of these still at Westfield Shepherds Bush.
    I was calling once a week and they never mentioned a list. It wasn't until I went into the store that anyone brought up a list, and that seemed to be an afterthought on their part. Could completely have been something just this store was doing.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    Went to Metrocentre branch to pick up a winter village market set and get the Christmas Elves freebie. No RI in and the lad on the till doesn't reckon they'll be getting any more.

• NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2014
    @‌LegoKip

It is my understanding that the line for the South Coast store began forming 2 hours prior to opening. I phoned in 1 hour before opening and was told I was too late to get a ticket even if I was there in person.
    While I know more are being released, I have officially given up hope that I will ever own a new new RI, because I am not paying $70 for this set. So last night I introduced my daughter to the concept of BrickLinking the set so that she could have the dinosaur and other tools. I actually think it is a good thing, because it shows her how to creatively deal with disappointment.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,156
    Natebw: It prolongs the build too - bricklinking a #10179 was quite an experience.
    @monkeyhanger‌ Holy cow! I don't think we are ready for that yet.... :)
    ^ I would happily ship you one at cost. An RI that is, not a UCS MF.
    lego007NatebwTheBrickLaddEKSamSirBenhoyatables
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    Alderwood, WA got some this morning. Unfortunately I didn't get one, all sold out.
    edited October 2014
    I would say to keep checking LEGO store every day through the end of the month, as the note says on LEGO.com they may be available in stores in October (US [email protected] anyway).
    If you have a good rapport with the manager I would suggest asking if they will hold on for you if it comes in. Some may, others may not, but it cannot hurt to ask.
    I was lucky in the sense that the store by me must have gotten a decent number because I called and they allowed me to hold one until I got to the store last night and they were all accounted for by the time I got there.
    So I would say keep checking with your local store(s) to see if they get them in.
    @madforLEGO‌ My issue is that the store is over an hour away, and, being a business owner, I really can go on the weekend. So they tell me they get shipments on Thursday. But you are right, building up a relationship is a good idea for future reference.
    lol, @cheshirecat‌ I don't think at UCS MF is too much to ask! :)
    Natebw said:

@madforLEGO‌ My issue is that the store is over an hour away, and, being a business owner, I really can go on the weekend. So they tell me they get shipments on Thursday. But you are right, building up a relationship is a good idea for future reference.

I hear you, my closest store is about 30-40 minutes away, so not much better (plus it was dreary with periods of hard rain driving up to the store). I was a bit lucky in that they held a copy until closing. I would say the least you can do is call and ask to hold one for you.. It is really on how bad you want it unfortunately.
    I did not want to drive up to the store last night (I'm sick as well) but could not leave what will be my GFs Christmas present up there.
    Also found out they have the articulated horses as well in their PaB wall so that helped cushion the blow.
    Natebw
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    Do we know if this is something thay may reappear on the [email protected] site or is the general belief any new copies will be at a retail store?
    ^ I called customer service a few days ago and was told only the stores will get them.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    Well the closest one is about a two hour drive for me; so I likely will have to call and see if they will hold one for me without question before I venture out.
    Natebw

Well the closest one is about a two hour drive for me; so I likely will have to call and see if they will hold one for me without question before I venture out.

I wish you well and hope they can hold one for you. The nice thing is if the store Limits them to one. It is bad if you happen to have a couple of kids or whoever that want them, but it is good in the sense that a lot of people should get a chance to get one.
    I think if you explain it to them they should hold it for you, because I can agree making any kind of drive 30 minutes or up is a lot for a 'maybe'
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    edited October 2014
    If someone could purchase one for me in Westfield Shepherd's Bush or somewhere in England, and send to me in Galway, Ireland at a reasonable price I would be forever grateful @IanCambridge‌ @brickedin‌ :D
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    After a long, long wait, the Raleigh LEGO store finally received some RI sets yesterday, but all 15 quickly old out. Unfortunately I am out of town this week, but did find it in the Nashville store where they are limiting customers to one set each. It doesn't look as if many folks will get a copy with supply being so limited in numbers produced and being sold only in US LEGO stores.
    Natebw
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 543
    @LukeSkywalker‌ , its unlikely I'll be back to the store in next couple of weeks. If it changes I will let you know.
    edited October 2014
    For anyone interested - I've Just checked Royal Mail and it seems it would cost £7.45 to send 1 RI to the US (1st class, not signed). I've got one for @Natebw and could perhaps do some others but can't get very many - theres only one store near me and i don't want to take the piss.
    ShibNatebwEKSam
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    That is a wonderful offer because it looks like most folks who want an RI will not be able to get one in the US. I would have bought a couple to share with others at cost if they had allowed it yesterday in the Nashville store. Lucky I was in here to buy one.
    Natebw
    @chesirecat, that's pretty nice of you.
    I picked up mine this morning from the Bellevue, WA Lego store. They also had a few copies of the Exo Suit.
    klatu003
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited October 2014
    I know I'm late to the party and I should probably put this in the Marketplace, but if anyone can get a Research Institute for me (Wife actually), I'd be appreciative.

I'm happy to pay, but would also be open to a trade (I'm located in Australia though). I have a sealed #21104 Mars Rover and was thinking due to the £9 RRP difference that whoever did the trade could throw in a few of the Sun polybags or similar. Thanks
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    @Basta
    Pm'd you just a bit ago.
  • ThirdBuckEyeThirdBuckEye Member Posts: 44
    Pm sent