Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Old Lego? Unusual pieces...

blade_guyblade_guy ManchesterMember Posts: 219
I acquired a bag of older Lego with some unusual bits and pieces I'd not seen before. Wondered if anyone knew much about them? Some clear boxy things with like a door on, almost like a garage and these 4x8's with a curved end to them. They have a weird square pattern underneath too. And a trailer tow bar.

Comments

• adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    The top curved plates are known as waffle plates due to the square pattern on the base. This was the norm back then and the square plates would have the same waffle base.
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 279
    The garage often came with the HO scale diecast model cars in the 1960s. Nice find!
  • TLGTLG Member Posts: 125
    Nice pieces, those garage pieces are pretty rare.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 563
    edited October 2014
    The red piece is a part of an old train coupler. The other half is plate with hole or this plate with hole. All of these parts a likely from the 60s.
  • blade_guyblade_guy ManchesterMember Posts: 219
    Cool, thank you! Now I need to clean them up then work out what to do with them...
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,352
    edited October 2014
    Those small garages were produced from 1962-66 under the numbers 261-268 (also 670 and 671 in the UK/AUS).... and they are quite valuable when they include the 1:87 vehicle and the paper banderole around them. These were sold by TLG to retailers in boxes of 5... for individual sales. In USA/Canada retailers had to buy a box of 72 of them (under the 472 number)... but the individual cars also had the 261-268 numbers....
    bluemodernslovakiasteph
    Those train couplings date from 1966-68 (in 1968 TLG introduced magnetic couplings with red/blue coupling ends)... Here's the way to tell the 1966 versus 1967 versus 1968 versions of these couplings....

bluemodern
    There were 5 sizes of the Waffle Bottom plates that were made from 1956-62 in Europe/Australia, and until 1971 in USA/Canada. These were replaced by the "circle bottom" plates that we know of today. The waffle bottom plates used 1/3 more plastic than Circle bottom plates... a 6x8 waffle bottom plate weighs 12 grams, a circle bottom 6x8 plate weighs 9 grams.

The reason that the waffle bottom plates were produced longer in USA/Canada is because when TLG Denmark switched over to the circle bottom plates, they shipped all the waffle bottom plate molds to Samsonite (USA/Canada)... where they continued production until the molds were worn out and replaced by circle bottom molds. So in USA/Canada you will find many 1963-71 Samsonite LEGO sets that contain both waffle and circle bottom plates.

The earliest waffle bottom plates of 1955-56 had no holes in the bottom of each waffle square, and were therefore even heavier than the later waffle bottom plates...

All the images of these 3 posts are from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide... chapters on 1:87 cars/trucks, 1966-79 Blue Track Era Trains and 1955-72 Early Plates.

edited October 2014
    Also.... those garages are known in several color combinations.... the rarest have the red doors with white base and trans-pink case, as seen below. These are also known with black doors, white base and trans-black case. More common than that are ones in dark gray door, dark gray base, and clear case. The most common of all is the one with gray door/base and clear case, which is what you have blade_guy.

The red and black door garages were early examples, likely prototypes... that were all put into production. Even though 99% of all of these garages are just gray with gray base.... the European catalogs of 1962-64 all showed the red garage door/clear base rare versions in the catalogs of all the European countries.

What is really weird... is that even though these cars were sold in the USA/Canada in these small garages.... they were never shown in the LEGO catalogs of the time....

Ironically in 1965 the 261-268 garage sets were replaced by 661-668 cardboard box sets... which were not quite as cool... Ironically the last of the garages in continental Europe were used up in 1966-67 6 Auto Multi-packs (695/696).... but in the USA these garages lingered for a few more years, finally disappearing in the 536 Designer Sets, the 842 Sears Town Plan, and the 157 4 Auto Transport sets, finally gone in 1971.

edited October 2014
    One interesting thing about those 1:87 cars and trucks that are so fabulously expensive today.... TLG never quite figured out how to have retailers sell those items.... just out of cardboard boxes for individual sales. These were supposed to be kept behind the counter at LEGO retailers... but then the kids couldn't see them...

The German marketing group back in the 1960s came up with a solution... which today seems horrible!!! They made wall display panels with each of the 1:87 cars/trucks as an individual display item, some with the plastic garage... and all as display items with a price. This recent (and extremely rare) addition to my collectors guide horrifies the 1:87 car/truck LEGO collectors.... because each of these display models was cut in half to create these displays!!! :-O

Thousands of dollars of rare 1:87 vehicles.... mutilated.... :-(
    Which chapter is on those 1/87 cars?
    That would be Chapter - 36.0 LEGO CARS & TRUCKS w/ METAL WHEELS (1953-70).
    Thanks, will read when I get home.
    Is the power back on Istokg?
    These are some brilliant responses - thank you so much everyone! The coupling I have is the 1967 version and sadly I don't have any of the cars. The parts came in a bag full of all sorts, blue rail tracks, many 2 by 4 bricks that are totally hollow underneath, no tubes or waffles... And a bigger clear box type thing.
    OK blade_guy.... assuming that these last items came from the country where you live... you live in either... Denmark, Norway Sweden, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg or Portugal (with Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg and Portugal being the least likely).

Those hollow bottom bricks were only sold in those countries from March 1956 until January 1958.

And that box with the crazy 8x11 gray plate on the bottom... those are Architectural sets (518, 519, 520 and 521) spare parts pack boxes (from 1963-65). These 4 packs were for small plates only (either in gray, black, white, red, blue, clear, or starting in late 1964... in yellow).

Here's the outer sleeve to one of those packs...

And those Architectural sets spare parts packs were only sold in Continental Europe, as supplemental sets to the 750, 751 and 752 Architectural sets..... here's the contents to a pair of those sets (the 751 and 752)....

Images from the chapter on LEGO bricks and on LEGO architectural sets from my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide.

bluemodern
    Thank you so much @Istokg. I got the bag of assorted bricks in Germany although I myself live in the UK. So the hollow bricks were never in the UK? There are also some 2x3 and 2x2 hollows. The 8x11 plate is indeed a strange shape. I also have 1 of those 2x8 hollows with 4 "dividers" underneath, and some yellow L-shaped pieces. It was certainly a weird bag of bits but I'm pleased I picked them up. There is also one 1x8 White brick with TABAK printed on it but in somewhat poor condition. @Istokg your knowledge is outstanding :-) you are the Miss Marple of the Lego world.
    Thanks blade_guy.... I'm also an expert on printed bricks.... ;-)

Your German 1x8 printed TABAK brick dates to a 226 Printed Bricks Spare Parts Pack of 1956-65. There were 7 printed bricks (8 from 1956-57) in each box... and they were country specific.

Here are 5 country packs.... the upper left is from a French 226 pack, the upper right is from an Italian 226 pack, the middle left is from a German 1950s era 226 pack, the middle right is from a German 1960s era 226 pack, and the bottom row is from a Danish 226 pack....

I have an entire chapter of my collectors guide devoted to these very interesting (and highly collectible... for the rarer ones)... LEGO collectibles....

http://www.1000steine.de/brickset/miscellaneous/Lego Chapter 48 Vol2.pdf
    Here's some of the rarer country sets.....

Sweden....

Very rare (and valuable) Finland....

Unique Norway (where you had to add the decals that they supplied you with)...

And USA/Canada.... where there were always duplicates in the group of 10 printed bricks in their parts pack...

• cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    Do the larger trucks fit in the garages made for the smaller ones?

I've finally now found some of the HO vehicles I can afford, but I've got to get one of the garages as an accessory.
    No.... none of the Bedford or Mercedes trucks fit into the car garages.
    The 1:87 cars are almost always more expensive than the trucks. The trucks can be gotten for a really great price if they have "issues". But there are some pretty cool ways to "refurbish" some of these that can be had for as little as $7-$10 on Bricklink. For building a 1960s Town Plan scene,there are ways to do it surprisingly cheap!! ;-)