Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

TRU 2014 Bricktober Micro Builds

While searching for something else, I discovered the instructions for the TRU 2014 Bricktober Micro Builds on the Lego website. Four neat little micro builds you can try now: 40180, 40181, 40182 and 40183
Poisso3chuckpbinaryeyeRonyariamterrycarlqlego007Angel_Cklatu003

Comments

• ChgoMattChgoMatt USAMember Posts: 108
    Micro modulars!imageimage
    BrickDancer
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I can't find them on their site, do you have a link?
  • bmwlegobmwlego Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 793
    Nice find! These look cute and thanks to the links I might not have to go out and spend X amount of $ at TRU!
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    Oh those are awesome little builds! Thanks to the instructions I won't have to order them!
  • iplanteiplante USMember Posts: 164
    How do the TRU builds work? Do you just but the sets? Or are they in-store builds? If so, is there an age limit?
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,393
    I would bet these are the free with purchase sets this year...better than the minifigure set last year (with the hodgepodge of pieces). I wonder what their free build for the kids will be. They usually do something.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,905
    Really, really nice. However, the green cheese slopes on the Town Hall look strange.
  • jwsmartjwsmart Member Posts: 298
    It looks like the scale is way off to fit with the previously released Mini Modulars. These are more like Micro Modulars...
    I made #40180 in LDD, and stuck it in the middle of 10230. The technic pins do not line up, they're in very different spots...
    Poisso3
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    jwsmart said:

It looks like the scale is way off to fit with the previously released Mini Modulars. These are more like Micro Modulars...
    I made #40180 in LDD, and stuck it in the middle of 10230. The technic pins do not line up, they're in very different spots...

Dang...I was hoping they were close to the same size as the Mini Modulars! I wonder what the other sets would look like next to the Minis.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,905
    So does someone need to create GG, CC, MS and the others in micro form? That would be sweet.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Until I saw the vehicles, I thought these were relatively close to the Micropolis standard.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    Come on Lego. Y'all are better than this. They should have modeled it to fit w/ the mini-modular. Like jw said, the pins don't match up. As they're on two plates in the TRU versions versus on the baseplate w/ the mini modular. Plus the pins are one stud in from the back versus two studs in for the mini modular.

I mean, if you have some spare parts, you can definitely adjust the height of where the technic pins are supposed to fit in. You don't need two pins on each side, as one will do. It doesn't seem like a tough fix, but Lego could have planned that a bit better.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    It's lame that they aren't to scale with the Mini Modulars set, but these are promotional freebies, so it saves cost to do smaller scale. At least the promo sets look to be in scale with each other.
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 497
    Mini-modulars would run $15 to $20 per building--not exactly the price point I'm sure TRU had in mind for a seasonal promotion, as GIR3691 already pointed out. I suspect these micro-modulars are connected differently to make it clear they're not meant to go with the mini-modular series! They look more like miniature versions of other famous City sets--the theater from the 2008 Town Plan, for example. I love them all, and might even spend some money at TRU (a place I despise) to get them!
    What is the typical hook to get these? I never paid much attention to Bricktober in the past.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    prevere said:

What is the typical hook to get these? I never paid much attention to Bricktober in the past.

If it follows past years, each set will be available for a week. If you spend a certain amount, you get that week's promotion. The last couple years, the threshold was $60.
  • GIR3691GIR3691 Member Posts: 668
    sklamb said:

I love them all, and might even spend some money at TRU (a place I despise) to get them!

Probably more cost-effective to source the parts yourself.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,601
    Looks it i won't have to over pay for Lego at toys r us this October.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/275458822663344/ the free build for Bricktober is a Bat signal...hope it lights up.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^I really like the Bat-Signal, but not enough to go to TRU. Bad prices in a hard-to-get-to location...isn't worth the gas.
    madforLEGO
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    Add me to the list of those who think these should match the mini scale of 10230.

Anyway our TRU never seems to have the promo items or anything decent on sale, so it is not a regular stop; only visit there when I need to compare brands of items for the new grandchild. We usually buy only when we don't receive a hand me down, and tend to stay out of stores these days. Much easier on the wallet.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    The fire station mini modular was found in the local TRU today.

There is no stipulation that one has to purchase any LEGO set to get it.
    One just has to be willing to pay $19.99 (which was a steep price).

(Since this is only Sept. I wonder if this is a mistake release? I have no doubt that the price is correct but I wonder if they should've put it on the shelf this early).
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    $20????? Ouch!!!
    bobabricks
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    Gooker1 said:

$20????? Ouch!!!

Precisely.
  • iplanteiplante USMember Posts: 164
    That's a bummer. I would love to own these sets. :(
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 982
    Not shocked at all by $20 price tag. Their Bricktober minifigure sets were priced at $25, ridiculous.
    Love a fire hydrant that's the same size as a fire truck. Dogs would love that fire station.
    bobabricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,862
    iplante said:

That's a bummer. I would love to own these sets. :(

Just wait til someone inventories it at bricklink or brick owl and then buy the parts. I would imagine it should be less than 19.99 USD
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,731
    LEGO has already provided inventories: http://brickset.com/sets/40182-1/Bricktober-Fire-Station
  • nychromastonenychromastone The Empire StateMember Posts: 160
    in previous years, the Bricktober promotional items were originally priced at 0.01 in their system. at the end of the promotion, the items would be available for purchase at that price. the execs have since realized the value and appeal of Lego. this is something a manager at TRU shared with me and it makes sense. it was great to get the promos for "FREE" and while it lasted.
    Our TRU (Cary, NC) had the micro theater on the shelf...by mistake yesterday. I saw it and tried to buy one, but at the register it said they could not be sold before Oct. 5. So they would not sell me one. I guess that they put them away until the fifth, when they will be part of some special. Will see what the "special" is on Sunday. Ugh!
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    The actual promotion is get one free with a $75.00 Lego purchase. A different set each week. My local TRU also mistaken put the theater on the shelf for sale last week and did allow me to buy 2 before removing the other 8 (yes only 10 total) until 5 Oct. I think that it's very possible that there is not that many of them around and will be gone very quickly.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,664
    The Mini Modulars #10230 work out £12 each. These work out be roughly £11.99 each so they so they should be less than than £10 as they are smaller builds.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    Ya, each set is free after a purchase of $75, First up is the Theater 10/5-10/11, then Pizza Place 10/12-10/18, Fire Station 10/19-10/25, and last is Town Hall 10/26-11/1
    I did pick up the theatre 40180 yesterday, and it is a cute build. Will enlarge it to match the other Mini-modulars this week because it makes no sense having two scales so similar. I bought Friends sets at retail after waiting a few months for October to arrive.

These are much nicer than the minifigs (I did not collect) that they offered last year.