Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Discover Card 5% Cashback for Lego

Hello -- I was looking to leverage ShopDiscover for 5% cashback but notice that Lego is not listed as a ShopDiscover retailer anymore. Anyone else notice this and any idea what happened please?

Comments

• ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    It is gone, see these comments in another thread.
  • sramsram Member Posts: 60
    Thank you. I certainly missed the comment in the other thread.

Was looking to see if I could leverage the two 5% options we get this quarter from Discover :-(
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^Actually, I was getting 2% cash back on my visa card and just noticed that was gone too. I guess Lego just isn't making enough money...first the discounts on exclusives, now the cash back is gone. I figure the next thing to go will be discounts on any sets (including the small ones).
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    ^I wouldn't think discounts on non-exclusive sets would be stopped. Otherwise the next thing to go might be their customers!
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    LEGO is riding the wave of being the largest toy company, due to the success of their movie. And, is probably enjoying record sales (and maybe record net profits). They may have production to the max and unable to make some sets. So, why not increase price (by doing away with discounts, etc.). And, all of this when the world economy is sluggish. Who would a thunk? Will the popularity continue? The future will tell. What do you think?
    I have certainly cut back on purchases. There was a letter in the mail about not seeing me shop from Lego! I guess they notice when big spenders are not so keen anymore... but they must be getting enough demand that eliminating discounts and increasing prices will be the norm.

There has been cost increases in the last year or two for most sets. Considering that the material cost is negligible, TLG must be raking in cash.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    TLG made over a billion dollars in profit last year, that number will be higher this year...

Hard to look past all those dollar signs... :)
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,590
    TLG should not get complacent here.
    They may be having a Record Year?...... but.....
    Lego Shops could suffer a severe backlash from customers if they continue to raise prices. Because eventually even good customer service does not compare to a better more sensible price for Lego.
    All the sales of Lego will be made by companies like Amazon, Argos, Tesco, Smyth's, Walmart etc.
    Those who are prepared to cut the price of their lego sets to 66% RRP or even less.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,228
    edited October 2014
    eBates even is stopped, you used to get 2.5% back from eBates, not anymore.
    Venunder said:

TLG should not get complacent here.
    They may be having a Record Year?...... but.....
    Lego Shops could suffer a severe backlash from customers if they continue to raise prices. Because eventually even good customer service does not compare to a better more sensible price for Lego.
    All the sales of Lego will be made by companies like Amazon, Argos, Tesco, Smyth's, Walmart etc.
    Those who are prepared to cut the price of their lego sets to 66% RRP or even less.

I keep saying it, LEGO is getting too big for their britches with their decisions and this is starting to harken back to the late 90's.
    Uninspired designs and expensive sets, distribution all over the place, too many different parts for their factories to keep up with (apparently as it seems like there are always sets out of stock) or too many lines, branching out again into non LEGO stuff, and now tack on bad quality assurance in their part quality, Plus it seems like they want to kick the AFOLs in the privates..... All adds up to a bad look to LEGO IMO. They should be worried, and not saying 'look at us'. While they are doing well now, that can turn quick. It only takes a loss of a key license and they are in trouble.
    dougtsJP3804BrickDancer
    Oh yeah. Thinks can change quickly today, with pretty much any industry. Toys, unlike gas and food, are something people don't have to have.
  • Corwin12Corwin12 Member Posts: 30
    Just FYI - Discover Card's current 5% Cash Back promotion includes online shopping - now through December 31st. You just need to sign up for it to take advantage of it.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    ^Can anyone confirm that this is any online purchase or has TLG found a way to opt out?
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 824
    I know I've spent far less this year than previous years. Definitely hard to justify some of the prices they are asking. Plus, I haven't seen as many discounts in regular big box stores either. Too popular at full price I guess.
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    It's not any online purchase - it's online shopping only - and department stores. I'll find out soon if TLG has opted out.
    It used to be two 5% off that stacked. One you leverage ShopDiscover, second you sign up for the quarterly cash back promo for online purchases.
  • Corwin12Corwin12 Member Posts: 30
    This is what is posted on the Discover Website: "Online shopping is defined as: the purchase of goods at online merchants, and excludes: purchases made online for Government products, education providers, utilities or travel; and amounts not charged to your card during your online transaction." - It sure sounds like Lego.com purchases should count.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    5% cashback appears to be back for Lego on the Discover Website, now as Discover Deals(instead of shopdiscover), it is a little clunky to navigate but if you select the toys category you will see Lego. I knew about Walmart 5% but was surprised to see Kmart at 5% as well.
    brickupdate
    Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that it is back, even if under a different name.