Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What was your most memorable MOC as a child?

LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
edited December 2011 in Building and Techniques
I have noticed that most of the topics of late have been aimed at the financial side of LEGO which is obviously due to all the sales and the time of year, but I thought it would be good to hear some good ol' LEGO stories about your best ever LEGO creation as a kid, the one where you made every body who came to your house and check it out and were/are so proud of it.

Mine was a 9 story resort hotel built on the 6270 set base plate that was just under 1 meter high. Every floor had bedrooms and tvs built in. There was a pool, pool bars, jet ski hire, sail boats and a helicopter pad but the most fantastic part was the working elevator (manually powered by a winch). The elevator shaft was so perfect that if never got caught. I had it built and sitting in the lounge room for about 6 months much to the dismay of my mum. I had to protect it from my brother as a daily ritual since it had all of the 'best pieces'.

That is one of my favourite memories with LEGO and would love to hear others stories.

Comments

• bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    When I was 9 or 10 I built a random spaceship for a local toy shop contest just with classic space and space police pieces and won the contest. I won myself the old pirates eldorado fort 6276 and my moc ship was placed in the shops window for about 2 months to the envy of all my friends.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,878
    Message Intercept Base for sure; and had a special place in my heart for Main Street. Although I look at the recent Town Plan - and there just isn't a comparison.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    It is important to note that this forum was created with the intent to fill a gap in the community with regards to Collecting. While we don't forbid MOC-centric topics, they are strongly discouraged as there are already a number of great places to discuss those. Please don't hesitate to PM any of the moderators if you have questions on this. Thanks
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    I do understand why the forum was created @yellowcastle, but personally I don't visit other lego sites, and I like reading these stories. And sometimes it's becomes a discussion about collecting as people get reminded of sets they wanted as a kid etc...
    Also, don't you feel the forum has evolved now, so there is a community spirit that includes saying what we've created recently/desired as kid etc?
  • Rollo_TomassiRollo_Tomassi Member Posts: 113
    I built an attack helicopter which I called 'Airwolf' but which looked nothing like the copter from the show. Mine was white and blue and had a blue tinted canopy from a Space set.
    I also built a very futuristic looking dune buggy/ATV that I was quite proud of, because it was very sturdy as far as LEGO goes.
    Great Topic!!
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    edited December 2011
    I do love the collecting and investment focus of this site, and in no way was trying to detract from it. I only started the thread as I feel that brickset is the place I come to feel part of the community. The 'what brought you out of your dark period' and the thread about what people do outside of LEGO are a great read to break up all the LEGO number crunching and deal searching I spend most of my work day trying to disguise.

Feel free to close the thread if it is out of place.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    edited December 2011
    I'm with @Savage_Steel on this one. This forum has grown & evolved since it's conception and has a good community spirit. I don't agree or have interest with everything that is gets posted but it's my choice not to follow those discussions (I wish this part would be easier, but due to the Vanilla Forums set-up I guess it isn't).

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority as I collect and build for my own personal pleasure. I have no interest what-so-ever in all the investment, reselling, profit making talk that has been going on recently. I'm not creative enough, talented enough, or have the time to do MOCs, but I do enjoy reading about them. I think there is a balance we all must make in what we choose to read or not read. I hope Brickset can continue to offer something for all it's members.

BTW, Sorry for going off topic...

• Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited December 2011
    I'm with @Savage_Steel on this one.
    Me too. A community's a community and Im most interested in what people on _here_ have to say about stuff, because I know the characters.
    ==

Back on topic, my favourite MoC as a kid was a large truck, with technics underpinnings and a body made of normal lego. i remember making several variations of it in different styles, getting more and more unimog_like, and including a version which action man could ride in (a kind of GI joe to people in the US - dont think you had those) and a 'giant' version which a whole army of minifigures controlled and drove around in.

Of course it was in all finished in a classic 'kiddy raindow' colour scheme.

I still remember the day my sister dropped it and I decided I couldnt be bothered to rebuild it _again_ .... that was pretty much the time I entered my dark ages.

It was technics (8297 to be precise) which brought me back out of my dark ages.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 500
    One winter (possibly 1983), to the dismay of my sisters, my mom allowed me to spread all my lego (all about 1,000 pieces) on the living room floor for about two weeks. In the process (I was into Classic Space) I built what seemed like a mile-long spaceship :)

So, the ship was probably only 14 inches long, but I was young! To this day, my mom still talks about that ship, and how she thought I would become an archetect after she saw how well it held together. In reality, it normally broke into two pieces. Still, it was quite balanced (visually), mostly grey, and was not built for mini-figures. I loved watching the original Battlestar Gallactica, and Buck Rogers too... which often aired in my neighborhood over the holidays. To say the least, I'd love to try to rebuild that ship today... though locating those cool "wings," with the small corner cutout, can be a challenge. I always liked that piece the most.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I loved building castles as a kid. The more bricks I would get for birthdays or Christmas, the larger my castles would become. I remember I built one that I kept together for around 6 months. It took almost all the pieces/parts I had but it was to nice to take apart.
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    @krklint I was a fan of the wings with the cut out corner aswell! I had totally forgotten about those until you mentioned it, classic space was (is) awesome. I too filled the living room floor but with a huge space city that my neighbour and I build together using our combined collections, oh the memories!
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    My childhood MOCs were houses and towns, I can't remember building much more. I recently found this picture of me and my sister, I have no idea where this lego came from, as neither of us remember getting fabuland and basic, but we started getting town after this and still kept building towns and streets (we had a post office, houses and a phone booth and not much more!)
  • charles_hcharles_h Member Posts: 3
    Transforming SDF-1 from Macross .....

Those were the times
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I think this thread's been relegated .... last post time on thread = 10:50PM, last post time on thread listing = 2:53PM, hence its right at the bottom of the list
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I think this thread's been relegated .... last post time on thread = 10:50PM, last post time on thread listing = 2:53PM, hence its right at the bottom of the list
    Was wondering about that too....

I noticed that on other discussions I've followed in the past.

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Nice one @charles_h! Robotech FTW!!
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I once built what was supposed to be a battleship out of red bricks, which anatomically looked like a frigate or gunboat. I also built Votron lions. I didn't have much green bricks to make the green one. So instead, I used black ones.
    Too bad they looked so darn crude with lack of varying parts. Ah, those were the days.
  • LuciusMalfoy7LuciusMalfoy7 Member Posts: 107
    I once pooled together all my sets to build an enormous mansion - there was every room you could think of, from laundry rooms to artistically designed outdoor firepits and excercise rooms.