Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Ninjago 2015

just2goodjust2good Member Posts: 247

What do y'all think about these?
BrickDancer

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,317
    I found them difficult to see as I cannot zoom in video, so what are the tan head wear? Are they snake heads?
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Not a fan of Ninjago, but it's always nice to see a playset like #70749 Enter the Serpent. It looks like a good parts pack, too, though I imagine it will be in the $60 USD range.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,037
    @CCC they look like a snake headwear. They are quite strange looking because they are open at the top, so the minifig's headstud shows through. An interesting design for sure. I think we really need to see this in person to see how useful it is for other applications.
  • mapimimapimi Member Posts: 10
    any news on the rumoured Detective Agency? Do you have pictures of it?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,265
    The box at 1:39 shows the plain tan head fairly well. Open mouth snake head. The other looks like a king cobra modification of it (with the purple).
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    that new snake skull helm is great, its a spitting image of "The Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw" from Elderscrolls lore. which is just one more convenient excuse to get some of these sets :P
  • thenosthenos Twin Cities, MNMember Posts: 436
    Some of them snakes remind me of Serpentor. Yo Joe.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,892
    The snake headgear seems to be actual Anacondrai skulls. In the story, Pythor devoured the rest of the Anacondrai tribe of Serpentine while they were imprisoned underground, becoming the tribe's only member. The fact that there are now other Anacondrai besides just Pythor, as well as red-eyed and snake-tattooed human followers of the Anacondrai, implies some kind of supernatural dealings are afoot. Spooky!

I love the way the new Anacondrai vehicles and ruins echo the Serpentine vehicles and ruins from the 2012 sets while still remaining unique in their aesthetic and color scheme. The use of Anacondrai bones as a defining motif helps considerably. I'm especially glad the Anacondrai Copter doesn't just feel like a rehash of the Rattlecopter from 2012.

Having two costumes for each Ninja is very reminiscent of the 2011 and 2012 sets. Only this time, one of the costumes has sleeves and a full Ninja hood, while the other is sleeveless with just a mask. It's great that there's finally a female Ninja, Skylar! I wonder where she comes from, and what kinds of powers she might have. The Dojo Showdown set might indicate that she comes from another ninja academy.

The Titanium Dragon is an awesome design, and I love its brick-built head! Its face reminds me a bit of Falkor from The Neverending Story. It definitely feels different than the previous Ninjago dragons, but not in a bad way! I wonder where it comes from. If it's from episodes 33 or 34 of the show, no spoilers, please! I haven't seen those episodes and am waiting for them to air in the United States!

Nya's truck is reminiscent of some early Ninjago concept art I've seen. It's great to see some more of those concepts find a place in the theme. I'm glad Nya is still remaining relevant to the story. That robot in the cab of the truck is interesting... I wonder if it might be an upgraded version of Joel, the robot she adopted in Episode 32 of the Ninjago TV series! I know a lot of people have been really divided about the love triangle in the current season, but it would actually be really interesting if instead of it being resolved by her choosing between Cole and Jay, it got resolved by her deciding she just wasn't ready for a relationship with either of them. Particularly if she gets a nifty robot sidekick out of the deal!

Overall, I'm glad to see Ninjago has really regained its momentum and can revisit older concepts without losing the creativity that makes it so compelling. A wider portfolio of sets, stories, and merchandise will be a great asset when the movie comes out in 2016!
    just2good
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^Exactly what I thought too! Cobra-lalala!!

And that's a nice new hair piece from the first set, a black tied back hair with pony tail.
  • jacklego5775jacklego5775 Member Posts: 8
    They look great! i can't wait for them to come out!

^^Exactly what I thought too! Cobra-lalala!!

And that's a nice new hair piece from the first set, a black tied back hair with pony tail.

Not actually new — @just2good pointed out on Eurobricks that it's the same hair piece as Kanan Jarrus from set #75053 The Ghost.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Ah good spot @Aanchir‌! I haven't picked up the Ghost yet, so didn't realize that hair piece existed.
  • AndorAndor United StatesMember Posts: 252
    These sets are amazing! I'll somehow have to watch those episodes.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I usually leave the Ninjago stuff for my kids to collect. I will say that I like the minifigures though. I'm sure I'll end up with some.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    I thought Lego is going to scale back and eventually cease the Ninjago theme?

The amount of sets here are evidence to the contrary.
    edited October 2014
    byolego said:

What ever made you think that? That would seem to run directly counter to the plans for a Ninjago movie that were announced nearly a year ago (it even already has a release date scheduled: September 23, 2016). Obviously, I'm sure Ninjago will end EVENTUALLY, but that's most definitely not a goal for the immediate future.

The LEGO Group DID at one point plan to end Ninjago... way back in 2012. They figured it would only have enough momentum for a three-year run like so many themes before (Knights' Kingdom II, Exo-Force, etc), so they designed a "Final Battle" wave for 2013 and expected to leave it at that. But once the sales numbers for that year started coming in they realized they had grossly underestimated its momentum and the dedication of its fanbase. So they immediately began planning sets for 2014 and beyond. Before the 2013 sets were even released, the theme was confirmed to be continuing into 2014 on all of the LEGO Group's social media channels.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    As with the original ninjago stuff (Fire temple, i'm looking at you), I must admit to again liking a couple of these too. Not for the actual ninjago story/theme, but for parts to use in various projects:

a: extending the faux historical lego temple i'm building
    b: figs for my growing dojo of karate people
    c: an alternative 'kurgan' to face off against the CMF highlander.

I was just counting the new minifigures and I came up with a total count of 25! That's pretty impressive. Not only is it more than the 19 we had this year, but also well over the 20 we had in the theme's debut year! And that's just from one wave! But of course, that still falls short of the 35 minifigures from 2012.

I might be over– or under-counting the human goons, though. There are definitely more of them than I expected!

Also, I wonder if the reason for seeing more Anacondrai might be that Pythor promised human followers the chance to become Anacondrai via some kind of dark magic. There are definitely two humans who bear an eerie resemblance to the two unidentified Anacondrai in terms of their costumes...

I am so excited about these sets! They're full of personality on every level. It's especially nice that there are so many settings, since that's an area in which a lot of Ninjago sets have been lacking.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,207
    legomatt said:

c: an alternative 'kurgan' to face off against the CMF highlander.

I knew that headgear was giving me 80's flashbacks but had been searching Thulsa Doom (Conan) to no avail!

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    @andhe Yeah, the snake temple type stuff definitely has a Thulsa Doom vibe to it, I thought that too.
  • byolegobyolego Member Posts: 114
    Aanchir said:

byolego said:

What ever made you think that? continuing into 2014 on all of the LEGO Group's social media channels.
    Thanks for the info. I don't mind Ninjago staying on.
    It's the best chance to get Japanese architecture-type sets.