Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Halloween Theme - What To Do?

koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
So I've been desperate to add sets to my Halloween display. Arkham Asylum makes a nice addition to HH and Vampires Castle, as does the HP Graveyard Duel, but otherwise, Lego offers slim pickins.

I ordered a set from Cobi, which came and was okay, decent quality, but nothing special. I also got the Kre-O Cityville Invasion castle set, which sucks because it isn't minifig scale and the only feature--some vibration thing--doesn't work.

So today I came across Lite Brix Zombie Manor. I'd never seen it before, and I had the feeling Lite Brix weren't very good, but at $29.99 I figured I'd risk a loss. Turns out retail is $69.99, so I got a steal. I'll say this, it isn't worth $70, but is probably okay for $30. The zombie minifigs are pretty decent. The lights blink and flash so it looks like there's a rockin' Halloween party going on. There are a ton of stickers and the instructions say to look at the box to learn where to place them! The bricks clutch fine, but are very difficult to get together, and the build is stupid--unsupported structures and the like.

But until TLG starts offering more than crappy bats and pumpkins for Halloween, I'm stuck with inferior clone brands. Has anyone found anything decent out there? Or can anyone think of the Lego builds that are compatible with a Halloween theme (haunted houses, graveyards, etc.)?

Comments

• koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Here are a couple pics of the Lite Brix thing, if anyone's curious.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,954
    We felt both of these will be great additions to our Halloween theme.
    Now, you may need to mod it a bit, but I think they definitely have potential with the webs and the spider. We already have the MF tree, and built our own swamp, so this will add on to that creepy swamp. I could see it also being used in the far corner of a graveyard.

Chima Spinlyn' cavern.
    http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Spinlyn-s-Cavern-70133

Chima Web Dash

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Web-Dash-70138
    Good points--these are welcome additions. I should have mentioned I added 3spider sets last year (something from HP with Aragog, Mirkwood from Hobbit, and something I can't recall from LOTR.

@tamamahm‌, I'd love to see some pictures of your display, especially your swamp, if you have some and don't mind posting.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    Is there a reason why you wouldn't build your own setups for Halloween out of LEGO? You can buy a few custom LEGO zombies and such, but other than that, LEGO has all the pieces to build whatever hounted castle, house or cemetery you can think of. This way you wouldn't end up with a bunch of low quality products.

If you need inspiration, I just did a quick search on Flickr for LEGO Halloween creations and there are plenty of examples; both large displays and funny/spooky little vignettes.
    ChrisbstmAdzbadboydougtsBumblepants
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,625
    You could build several LEGO Mixels type displays; or you could buy a couple of Mixels sets and other Halloween colour elements to have an interactive building station for children to build at the party while the other guests arrive and then put them on display.

You also have several LEGO Chima Spider-tribe sets as well as the LEGO Galaxy Squad sets to display.

This is Halloween By Chris McVeigh:
    This is Halloween

Hope this helps :)
    gelkstermnbvcChrisbstmMandalorian_Builder
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,094
    Lego Master Builder sets #20206, #20207, and #20208 have a nice Halloween feel to them.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,020
    The whole monster fighters range is pretty good for Halloween, especially The Zombies.

We bought a load on zombie heads and LBG hands and use them on regular city figures.
    Yeah, I've used all the MF theme pretty much, and would have used the MBA sets if I were able to buy them for a reasonable amount.

@Akunthita, I have some MOC for a cemetary and a few other small pieces, but I haven't all the parts for big pieces. Plus, I like official sets. There's something kind of cool about seeing the different approaches other companies use to make a haunted whatever. Obviously, TLG designs are the best on every level.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,407
    Can someone in the U.S. direct me to a site that has multiple custom zombie heads? Also, are DBG and LBG hands available on bricklink?
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    edited September 2014
    @Bosstone100‌

www.citizenbrick.com
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,954
    kooz said:

Good points--these are welcome additions. I should have mentioned I added 3spider sets last year (something from HP with Aragog, Mirkwood from Hobbit, and something I can't recall from LOTR.

@tamamahm‌, I'd love to see some pictures of your display, especially your swamp, if you have some and don't mind posting.

It will be about mid-October before I get it up, and then I can post. Mine will be a fairly small MOC, since we had to go with what was on hand.

I should also add, the CMFs have been a great source of trick or treater costumes for the HH.

One reason, @akunthita‌ , for not just building something oneself can be the lack of blocks or finding the necessary blocks one needs. I have often found that by starting with a set, that it makes it far easier to modify, since the set often gives me specialized parts.

As an example, it would have been difficult for me to make a holiday train from scratch. It was much easier for me to make it by started with TLR train.
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Here's my Halloween display, even monsters need a night off!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pricey73/sets/72157631635458003/
    Daraghricecake
    @pricey73‌ , that is fantastic! I love how you set up Ms. Vampire and the zombie bride--so clever!
    pricey73
  • InfinitymanInfinityman United StatesMember Posts: 110
    That is pretty sweet, @pricey73! Now I have to expand the stage I'd planned for my ghost band...

For this year's display, I thought I'd pay homage to #9464 Vampyre Hearse with old-school hearse carriage (Lord Vampyre had to get around before internal combustion engines):

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/+ZachConstan/albums/6064536930195129345

Should have taken a picture of them side-by-side... maybe next week!
    pricey73ricecakeemmtwosix
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    @Infinityman‌ loving that horse drawn hearse, it is very nice, with lots of nice details.
    I've got something planned along the lines of "putting the fun in funeral!"
    Infinityman