Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

November Calendar is Up!

Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
Brickfan just posted the November store calendar. And if you look closely, you'll notice there is a glaring omission for a freebie we have been receiving the past few years. No PAB boxes w/ $75 purchase anymore. Instead, they're giving away a free wall calendar. Umm...pass. Those PAB boxes were a great giveaway, but I can see my spending at the Lego store will be less this holiday w/o that PAB box.
FollowsClosely

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,357
    Terrible. But I guess I can quit using Google Calendar next year and use this slick one instead
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,770
    madforLEGOLostInTranslation
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
    Thanks for posting the calendar. :)
    madforLEGOdougts
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    Soooo...no November Mini Build?
    hmm. The calendar touts 'exclusive offers inside'. Somehow I doubt the offers will involve exclusive sets. Could be interesting though.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,403
    If it is a nice calendar, then it might be good for a stocking filler. If it is just an advertising brochure, with money off coupons, then maybe not.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,783
    ^It looks like their usual branded wall calendar. Ie the one you see in WHSmiths etc.
    madforLEGO
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 947
    I was hoping to see the mini skating scene for Brick Friday. I need to know if I should put my eggs in the workshop basket or the skating scene basket...
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 1,006
    Exclusive offers = 10% off any set besides the modulars/large exclusives? :P
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    Is that the final version? It looks really...bare on most days. I'm not complaining about the lack of promotions; I'm jsut saying they normally do more to dress it up.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,701
    Surprisingly still no UCS Slave I...
    Sethro3 said:

I was hoping to see the mini skating scene for Brick Friday. I need to know if I should put my eggs in the workshop basket or the skating scene basket...

LEGO wants you to put your money in both baskets, thus no image of the skating scene. ;)

• Any clue on the UCS Slave I, anyone?
  • parsomparsom Member Posts: 46
    But we have new snowman set - 40093
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,566
    Disappointing to say the least about the apparent lack of PaB gift boxes. It was the only reason I was buying at LEGO at LEGO stores instead of amazon.com or even LEGO.com (as you can get the promo set online, and I pay much cheaper sales tax at [email protected] than the LEGO store) during the holidays. I think this is going to really mess with the physical store profits this holiday season.

Disappointing to say the least about the apparent lack of PaB gift boxes. It was the only reason I was buying at LEGO at LEGO stores instead of amazon.com or even LEGO.com (as you can get the promo set online, and I pay much cheaper sales tax at [email protected] than the LEGO store) during the holidays. I think this is going to really mess with the physical store profits this holiday season.

Couldn't agree more
  • romdamromdam Member Posts: 136
    I see no triple points for Brick Friday. I'm sure tho they wouldn't want to announce triple points when they are doing double in October? When did they announce triple points last year?
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,310
    Poisso3 said:

November monthly build.
    http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-november-2014-monthly-mini-build-revealed/
    Poisso3
    romdam said:

When did they announce triple points last year?

I don't think it was official until the day it happened, though it had been rumored for a week or so. Note that triple points last year were not on Black Friday but the Saturday before.
    madforLEGOdougts
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196

Poisso3 said:

November monthly build.
    http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-november-2014-monthly-mini-build-revealed/
    Thank you! That will look great next to the airplane from September.
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91

I can see Lego's thinking here. Their core customers (especially just before Christmas) - children and parents/grandparents - looking for presents are much more likely to be attracted by a free calendar rather than a pot of random bricks. Yes, it might turn a few AFOLs away but I think overall it will attract more trade.
    edited September 2014
    yuffie said:

I can see Lego's thinking here. Their core customers (especially just before Christmas) - children and parents/grandparents - looking for presents are much more likely to be attracted by a free calendar rather than a pot of random bricks. Yes, it might turn a few AFOLs away but I think overall it will attract more trade.
    A free calendar? What is this? The 1960's?
    How many kids use a calendar at all, or one that is not on a computer, tablet, or phone anyway? Same with many adults. And Grandparents may, but I would hazard they are in the minority here.
    I think that the PaB boxes would generate far more activity than the calendar, even for those who do not hit up the stores regularly. I doubt someone is going to buy more LEGO for a calendar. They are going to either buy that much, or not. I think the box for more of their product, for free, would be more of an incentive to buy. I mean how many calendars do you need (if you happen to make multiple purchases)? Whereas even casual customers can see the need for multiple PaB boxes, OR to provide those to the same grand kids as a bonus to their regular gift as you can use those boxes at any LEGO store, and for 3 months, after Christmas. So it is not like someone cannot get to the store (or in your argument go to grandma and pa's to go to the LEGO store to fill up their boxes).

All in all this looks like LEGO being cheap. Now I will add that this could be due to some legal thing where they cannot do this anymore as well, but I dunno about that.
    This combined with the lack of exclusive discounts in the states just smacks of LEGO hating on their customers (at least in the US), resellers or casual buyers alike.
    hleonffu
  • parsomparsom Member Posts: 46
    Come on, guys. Do you know what european LEGO prices are? And that aside from UK and Germany we have only few stores? And you say that LEGO hates US customers? Or maybe I misunderstand something?
    Andor
  • yuffieyuffie Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2014
    ^^ Well, given the number of shops (in the UK, at least) that stock (and therefore, I assume, sell) calendars I guess there is still a considerable demand for them.

For what it is worth I am trying to think like a parent (not difficult as I am one) rather than an AFOL, which is still a bigger part of Lego's target audience. And from this perspective seeing a free calendar rather than a small box with a few more bricks in is a bigger incentive to spend money in a Lego Store.

Equally I can understand why AFOLs are only interested in offers that get them free or cheaper bricks, but that doesn't mean deals that aren't aimed at them are wrong.

And, as a side issue, if you really think that Lego are 'hating' on their customers by doing this it suggests you aren't taking a particularly balanced view of this offer.
  • DedgeckoDedgecko Seattle, WAMember Posts: 798
    This just means that the pick a brick wall is going bye bye. They will replace it with Simpsons CMF's.
    jasor
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    Last year the pick a brick wall at my local store was less than a third full for a long time after the holiday, many months... I think more people came to fill up those free boxes than they expected. They even went as far as telling people they can fill them up whenever they actually had bricks in stock. They are avoiding this problem this year it would seem so far. They may still bring them back it is only the end of September
    madforLEGO
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    If they are indeed killing off the holiday PAB boxes, I wonder how much business they'll loose from it. Legos are a popular Christmas gift, but I feel like a lot of shoppers only got Lego from the actual store for the holidays because of the box. I can already tell you my shopping habits have changed at the Lego store this past year, and this will make me shop less. I really could see thrm doing away with the whole wall in a year or two.
    madforLEGO
    Theyre forgetting that they are also missing out on more buyears during the redemption period. I would go in, fill up a box or two and make some more purchases. Now, I am not as inclined to go in during those months for a set I can probably find cheaper online. Two birds w one stone...pab boxes and an impulse set or two.
    madforLEGOVaderXBlueTacojuggles7
    Gooker1 said:

Theyre forgetting that they are also missing out on more buyears during the redemption period. I would go in, fill up a box or two and make some more purchases. Now, I am not as inclined to go in during those months for a set I can probably find cheaper online. Two birds w one stone...pab boxes and an impulse set or two.

I imagine they expect whatever coupons and offers are in the calendar will have the same draw as the pab boxes to lure customers back to the store. Except printing a lousy calendar is probably cheaper on their end. I guess it will really come down to what the offers are. It is possible there will be 'free pab cup' for March. That could be worthwhile. Or it might end up being '10% off sets you could get on amazon for 30% off' and then it will go in the trash.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    Wow... I must be in the severe minority.

The box is a nice add-on, but it seems my LEGO store always has a terribly under-stocked and plain PAB selection during the redemption period. While it is nice to get a handful of basic bricks for *free*, I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'd much rather have the well-stocked PAB with different elements year-round.

To me, it hinges on the calendar "exclusive offers". Give me a 10% off anything coupon 2-4x per year? Awesome. Give me a coupon for 2X VIP on a purchase of my choice? Awesome. Give me two week early access to a set? Meh.
  • obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 607
    everyone is bemoaning the lack of PaB box, but does anyone know what the vouchers in the calendar are? maybe one is a PaB box!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,228
    ^ I was just about to say, what if one of the offers in the calendar is a free small PAB cup? I doubt it, but until we see what offers are in it, you never know...
    edited September 2014
    Great.. except I would go to a LEGO store multiple times to get a pab box, then go back to fill them, and usually buy more. Not anymore, not for a calendar, and I'm guessing I'm not in the minority with that way of thinking. Unless that calendar has 30% of any item (and not stopping people from getting an exclusive at that price in the US) and has multiple of those coupons, or multiple free cups in there or something and not specific to a month. Or being something you have to redeem at a store (which still hurts the stores).
    But I'm guessing LEGO would not do this unless they would make out on the plus side, which means they felt they were losing money with the PaB boxes.
    Again, there could be some other legal reason they have to stop these giveaways, but right now it just seems like they are being cheap.
    I just know that with this change, my LEGO store is going to keep getting less visits from me. My guess is that others will feel the same way. If so, this just hurts sales at the stores IMO AND does so for more than the holiday season because those boxes also bring in people in the 1st 3 months of the year as well (when sales are usually lower after the holidays). I also presume those people are like I am and buy something else and not just go all that way to fill up a box.
    I guess time will tell if the sales are down at stores this holiday season and also in the 1st 3-4 months of the new year when people could have redeemed their boxes. If not, then they will stay gone. If so, my guess is they will be back next season.
    But after hearing this, I'm waiting for LEGO to stop the pre BF event now too.
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    ^^^ My son is disappointed over the lack of PAB holiday boxes too. My hope is their disappearance serves as a trial for this season only.
    I agree -- I think it will hurt in-store sales rather then save LEGO on PAB elements (and their shortages).
    juggles7
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    A company that does well only does one thing.... Raise the prices.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,003
    ^wrong. They also reduce freebies.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I'm not in the least bit being flip, but what possible legal reason could there be for LEGO not doing giveaways?
    edited September 2014
    pharmjod said:

I'm not in the least bit being flip, but what possible legal reason could there be for LEGO not doing giveaways?

Some weird issue where they cannot provide a PaB box as a giveaway.
    I doubt it, as I think it is just a cost cutting move by LEGO, but again you never know.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I've never once gotten the free box and the offer of the same was never a draw to me.

pharmjod said:

Some weird issue where they cannot provide a PaB box as a giveaway.
    I doubt it, as I think it is just a cost cutting move by LEGO, but again you never know.
    You probably hit it on the head that it's a cost cutting measure w the elimination of the boxes.

• jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    I had 8 Boxes last year I think, I spent well over 2k in Nov/Dec time at best the PaB boxes were worth $20-30 in value, I can't see how that's a dent on TLGs bottom line based on my overall expenditure in that period. My thinking is TLG figures folks will spend the money with or without the boxes. I for one would have probably spent what I did without the boxes.
    jediami65 said:

I had 8 Boxes last year I think, I spent well over 2k in Nov/Dec time at best the PaB boxes were worth $20-30 in value, I can't see how that's a dent on TLGs bottom line based on my overall expenditure in that period. My thinking is TLG figures folks will spend the money with or without the boxes. I for one would have probably spent what I did without the boxes.

Yes, no clue why LEGO is seemingly shooting themselves in the foot.. Maybe they saw too many people selling the 'free box' on sites like eBay and I'm sure in forums.
    Maybe people were trying to reuse boxes that were used, and then making scenes when stopped. Maybe LEGO was upset that for the first 3 months PaB walls were fairly empty due to free boxes being filled causing a drain in resources at the factory.
    Who knows. There is a reason why LEGO does things, usually based on the almighty currency of the land.

I know though this could backfire on LEGO for their stores as I know I'm not buying as much at the stores, and I'm guessing others will not either, not for a calendar. I only will need one calendar, and I'm not handing those out as presents.
    While I will likely buy LEGO online, especially for Bf online sales and also for their end of year clearance sales they have, I will not be at the store much which just hurts the stores. One has to wonder if LEGO really wants their stores when they make moves like this.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    Maybe the PAB box starts on 1st December so that you can't stack it with the second holiday set
  • Kevin_HyattKevin_Hyatt UKMember Posts: 778
    I've not been in the store this month because of the lack of a promo, Oct looks like I'll not be in while the back end of the month and if this calendar is same as UK I probably won't bother much in November.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    So I don't have much experience with lego stores. I know about PaB cups, but what are boxes?
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    They're little cardboard boxes that LEGO stores have given away free with purchases in the run up to Christmas. Then between Jan and March you can fill them up (once) for free with anything from the PAB box. They're smaller than a large PAB cup but because of their shape can store a lot of bricks.

However, to the cynic in me it seems the PAB walls are pretty poor through Jan - March and then get lots of good stuff in April (although it might just seem like that!)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,450
    ^Might be a mix of both - TLG are trying to run down stock of less popular PAB parts + lots of people using the boxes + paying more attention to wall in that time period will probably create a negative appearance.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Interesting. I'm not sure if that box would make much of a difference for me visiting the closest store anyway....

• ZeyaZeya Member Posts: 36
    I suspect TLG is trying to improve the overall quality of the PAB wall. They have had other changes too. Remember how they did away with the grab bags a year or two ago? That was because of quality differences between bags. They also once had a PAB promo for something like 30% or 50% off a PAB cup, something like 3 years back. That has never returned. Perhaps now they've seen the quality impact the holiday box has had on the wall and don't wish to solve it by hurrying in more boxes of elements at that time of year. There's also that news of shortages to Canadian retailers. Maybe they thought it best to stop the promo for this year. Although the best point I've read about this is that TLG is doing well and is raising prices. They pumped up the CMF prices too.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 502
    Seems Lego cannot keep up with demand worldwide. So, moving away from the PAB holiday box makes sense (for now).

I'm not crazy about santa and a kid on a cheap stand as being one of the holiday sets (shown on Nov 1 and 2), though. I've fallen in love with these seasonal give-away sets that started in 2011. I do like the little ice skater at the end of the calendar :) and I hope he comes with a nice 6X10 light trans-blue plate for the "ice rink."