Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Bi-Annual Dilemma of Double VIP Points vs. Free LEGO Sets

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
Always the dilemma for me this time of year...

Which is the better deal: the double VIP points to get discounts on the sets of my choice (including exclusives) OR the current free set(s) being offered by TLG?

Currently September deals are a free Chima set (meh!) and a free Space guy (D2C Retro) set after spending $100. Also going now is a free Chima set (still meh!), a free Space guy (D2C Retro) set, AND a free mini VW Camper when purchasing the large VW Camper set.

Alternatively, next month (October) will have double VIP points and a free Elf Christmas set. Additionally, the next series of CMFs will be available to help squeak past the $99 threshold if the need arises. For every $100 spent, an additional $5 in VIP points will be added to ones account.

If the Tumbler set was going to be available in October, it would be a no-brainer for me. I would go for the Tumbler and the (sure to arrive in crushed condition beneath the Tumbler) Elf set in a heartbeat.

Even without the Tumbler, my preference is still to wait for the double VIP points AND the free Elf set on any other large purchases. The Winter Village theme is pretty popular in our house and I can use the Elf set as a peace offering when the order arrives. That said, the Elf set may be more prevalent than the Retro Spaceman since the Elf deal runs all month.

If someone is waiting for the VW Camper set, I think it's about to sell out PLUS Lego is giving out a free mini-VW camper as additional incentive to move it. I would get it now.

As for this month, I took the opportunity to burn my VIP points to get a large set and a few smaller sets (along with a couple Retro Spacemen). The reason I did this is because one should never use VIP points during a double VIP points month since you don't receive VIP points on the VIP points you redeem.

There is really an art to managing ones VIP points... ;-)
LegoKip

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,594
    No dilemma in Europe. TLG doesn't love us this month :-(
    I think come 15th October there'll be a massive pile-on at [email protected] Europe.....
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,929
    I normally decide what the promos are worth to me, and go for what is the best offer for me. I doubt there is a single answer, as the value of a freebie promo will vary from person to person. I'm not a fan of the elf set, so if I get one it will be sold on.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 873
    I passed on the space freebie. (I did bite on the mini mini cooper last month.). Plan to go for double VIP and free Christmas set in October with winter village, and then hold out hope for triple VIP and second freebie on brick Friday. Probably for slave I.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    It all depends if you want the freebie or not. If you want it think about what it would cost on eBay ect. Most 10 to 20 bucks there then it is a lot easier to math out I think.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    edited September 2014
    This is the time of year when I'm always in a rush to buy soon-to-be-discontinued sets. I buy just enough to meet the September and Brick Friday promotions, but otherwise spend in October - I also use my Citicard Dividend which gives me 5% cashback at toy stores and my Disneyland Annual Pass which gives me 10% off at the Anaheim store, combined with double points. And then log everything into Citi price rewind to further match any Amazon sales that happen between October and the holidays. It will match the lowest online price within 60 days of purchase and give me a statement credit (but that credit will be from the 10% discounted price from the LEGO store, and of course not take into account free gifts, VIP points or the 5% cashback). A wonderful time of the year; I'm usually able to grab a bunch of stuff at 30-35% off.
    piratemania7
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    Ma1234 said:

This is the time of year when I'm always in a rush to buy soon-to-be-discontinued sets. I buy just enough to meet the September and Brick Friday promotions, but otherwise spend in October - I also use my Citicard Dividend which gives me 5% cashback at toy stores and my Disneyland Annual Pass which gives me 10% off at the Anaheim store, combined with double points. And then log everything into Citi price rewind to further match any Amazon sales that happen between October and the holidays. It will match the lowest online price within 60 days of purchase and give me a statement credit (but that credit will be from the 10% discounted price from the LEGO store, and of course not take into account free gifts, VIP points or the 5% cashback). A wonderful time of the year; I'm usually able to grab a bunch of stuff at 30-35% off.

The elusive 35% off!
    jasor
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,230
    Normally I buy during double points if it is an exclusive (I'm in the US) because it is something back, and I see it as 'better than nothing'. However, I do not consider that a discount the same way I do not consider eBates or any other 'cash back' offers as a discount. To me it is a discount if I have a coupon or some other way to reduce the price at the register at that time. Anything else to me is just pandering to one self to convince themselves to buy something they would otherwise not buy. Because are you really going to put that cash back into an account or something? No you will use it to then justify another purchase you probably should not buy, and around and around you go, But that is just my take on it.

Never mind that Amazon still is still free shipping and, aside from exclusives (again in the US), they tend to have better discounts then LEGO can flat out offer (again I do not consider the cash back this and that or VIP points as a 'discount').

With This case with the VW, I bought now. Mainly because a set with 3 giveaways is rare, and who knows how long LEGO will have stock to send out, especially with how popular the VW giveaway is (also who knows how many they have of those to give out either). Seeing as many giveaways last a typical 3-4 days tops, less if it is really a sought after promo, I decided to buy it now.
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    Free Star Wars figs and stuff like the mini camper van often go for £15 and upwards on BrickLink so they're well worth having if you want them. And you still get single points.

I usually buy any really big Exclusive sets I want during double points using Quidco and a cashback card, but leave smaller purchases so that there's always something I can get in return for the figure.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,230
    CHERUBboy said:

Free Star Wars figs and stuff like the mini camper van often go for £15 and upwards on BrickLink so they're well worth having if you want them. And you still get single points.

I usually buy any really big Exclusive sets I want during double points using Quidco and a cashback card, but leave smaller purchases so that there's always something I can get in return for the figure.

that is a good point, in regards to the VW van now vs later, for all the ballyhoo the difference is about 5 USD if you do not get the double points vs regular point back.
    And I know it sounds pompous but if you have to worry about 5 USD then you probably should not be making that purchase.
    CoraHarrison
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    As has been said, its an easier decision in Europe as there are no freebies this month :(. Come the 15th though, I will be joining the mass ordering to get the free elf set and double VIP points. I'll get Santa's Workshop at least, then spend all my VIP points in November to get the other holiday set! (Slave 1 maybe?...)

All planned out!
    Andor
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    ^Yep...I like the two holiday sets they generally release in October and November. Last year it seemed that the first holiday set was available for a lot longer than the second holiday set her in the States. I would love to get a UCS Tumbler in October with the double VIP points and elf set, so that's my Plan A. I do like your idea of Slave 1 with the second holiday set, but I still need to get the UCS X-Wing before it goes away. If only TLG would quit coming out with so many tempting sets...
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    ^ In the UK at least, the first set was available through October, but the second was only available for a single weekend at the end of November.

UCS Tumbler doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I bought the X-Wing in the May 4th discounts, and it's got me hooked! Looking at Bricklink a lot for the others.

I know what you mean about the releases they do. I think I need a bigger house and a better paid job!
  • CalvCalv Central EnglandMember Posts: 895

^ In the UK at least, the first set was available through October, but the second was only available for a single weekend at the end of November.

UCS Tumbler doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I bought the X-Wing in the May 4th discounts, and it's got me hooked! Looking at Bricklink a lot for the others.

I know what you mean about the releases they do. I think I need a bigger house and a better paid job!

That last quote applies to all of us I think!!

I have more than enough to keep me going until October 15.

HangedSanchez
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404

In the UK at least, the first set was available through October, but the second was only available for a single weekend at the end of November.

I think it was the same thing here in North America.

I have the UCS X-Wing high on my list to get this Fall. I also want to pick up a Tumbler, the Parisian Restaurant, the Santa's Workshop, and perhaps the Ewok Village.

Yep...that should do it.
    HangedSanchez
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,591
    Perhaps this topic should be called "USA Dilemma, The Bi-Annual Dilemma of Double VIP Points vs. Free LEGO Sets"
    We have no free Lego in the UK shops and European [email protected]
    ^Think of it as the USA version of wonderful Daily Mail promotions you get in the UK...
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,591
    Well if you want daily mail promos. :)
    Maybe we could swap some of your wonderful Walmart, TRU promo polys that never visit the UK?
    Venunder said:

Maybe we could swap some of your wonderful Walmart, TRU promo polys that never visit the UK?

Now you're talkin'.
    edited September 2014

Venunder said:

Now you're talkin'.
    I agree...

I have ordered several polys from across the pond (mainly the UK) through BL that were unavailable in the USA. The poly prices were actually reasonable; it's the shipping and handling that's the killer.
    With the November Lego Calendar being released, I think the double VIP points and holiday set in October are looking better and better all the time!
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,089
    With Slave I supposed to be delayed to next Jan (was going to be my birthday present in October), I will be looking to get both Xmas freebies with a purchase of Santa's workshop and the Christmas winter market (it's back in my local Lego store) spread over Oct and Nov. The missus is quite keen on Lego Christmas decorations by way of the winter themed sets.
    ^Same in our house. The problem now is that there are so many WV sets to build each year that she can't get them all completed. So it's usually the newest one and some other random pick from the previous years.
  • edgarallanpoe1422edgarallanpoe1422 AustraliaMember Posts: 131
    Does anyone know what the Double VIP situation is outside of the US?
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Double points are applying here in Australia, no free Christmas set though (I'm not sure the start date, or if it is even going to be offered here this year.)
    Some strange stuff showing on the USA [email protected] site. A bunch of the Christmas sets (baubles and small Santa sets) show for sale, but when you add them to your cart they show at regular price. I'm sure the sets are likely regular price since we are early in the season; however, TLG needs to get this fixed to avoid confusion.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,070
    I went ahead with getting my Town Hall at 2x points. If anyone is interested in the Christmas set send me a PM as I do not collect the Christmas series.
  • ACWWGal2011ACWWGal2011 Member Posts: 534

Some strange stuff showing on the USA [email protected] site. A bunch of the Christmas sets (baubles and small Santa sets) show for sale, but when you add them to your cart they show at regular price. I'm sure the sets are likely regular price since we are early in the season; however, TLG needs to get this fixed to avoid confusion.

Sounds like the sites going a little nutty since they show series 5 and 6 friends animals on the site but one series five is already sold out and 2 others are call to check availabity. Series 6, when clicked on, says not available in the states yet.
  • Faedian7Faedian7 Member Posts: 50

I went ahead with getting my Town Hall at 2x points. If anyone is interested in the Christmas set send me a PM as I do not collect the Christmas series.

I did the same thing! I almost pulled the trigger on a Palace Cinema but am holding out hope for triple vip points in November. If that doesn't happen, I figure I will just wait until double points roll around in March.

• knooseknoose Member Posts: 45
    Does anyone have any idea what the freebie set will be in November?
  • Thanos75Thanos75 Member Posts: 1,120
    edited October 2014
    I went to put my order in tonight and when I looked at my total it didn't seem right. For the first time they had tax added. My order last month didn't have it added so I'm wondering if they are adding it to all orders now.
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,031
    edited October 2014
    ^^
    Tax is for the Devils' sins. Welcome!
    I saw in the pricing policy where they have louisiana listed as a state that they add sales tax to but since we don't have a store here they have never added it before. This will certainly be changing the amount I buy from them. Thank goodness Amazon is still tax free...at least for now.
    Double VIP points give it and tax takes it away. You never know how good you have it till it is gone.
    A quick call to customer service and they have indeed added 5 states to the sales tax list starting today. They said it could be an indication of a store being planned for the state but she couldn't confirm it.
    Thanos75 said:

I saw in the pricing policy where they have louisiana listed as a state that they add sales tax to but since we don't have a store here they have never added it before. This will certainly be changing the amount I buy from them. Thank goodness Amazon is still tax free...at least for now.

*almost jumps out chair*

Wait a second! Louisiana now is getting a tax charge??? I wonder if just maybe we could be getting a store here!!!! I am pretty sure I've heard of that happening b4. Come on Lego, cough up a store in Louisiana!
    I never wanted a store here because it was nice not having the tax. But now that we got the tax the store would be nice.
    Farmer_John
    Thanos75 said:

I never wanted a store here because it was nice not having the tax. But now that we got the tax the store would be nice.

I've been wanting one here for years! I first got to go to one about 3.5 years ago(it was when series 4 cmfs hit the shelves but they still had wave three stock) when we were on a vacation in Texas and it was beyond amazing! A LA Lego store would finally mean a decent hot spot for Lego stuff and I could actually go to one more often! Been at least a year and a half since the last trip and not sure when I will get a chance to go again.
    Thanos75 said:

I went to put my order in tonight and when I looked at my total it didn't seem right. For the first time they had tax added. My order last month didn't have it added so I'm wondering if they are adding it to all orders now.

Here in Maine I noticed that maybe 6 months ago; I couldn't believe sales tax was added to my order! I also find it hard to believe they are planning a store in this state so who knows what the logic behind this was.
    From the research I have done the state of Louisiana is not requiring the tax. LEGO is adding the tax on their own accord. I'm sure I'm wrong but I just can't see a company charging a tax when the state isn't asking for it . It's not like LEGO is just going to hand them a check at the end of the year if the state isn't asking for it.