Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

21110 Research Institute

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,878
    edited September 2014
    knoose said:

However, when I was doing research elsewhere I could not get a definitive answer. I then stumbled upon this:

https://www.change.org/p/lego-lego-make-empowered-female-minifigs-permanent

Something that is still not clear to me, is a female firefighter or police officer any less empowered than a female astronomer or chemist? If they are not, then I'd prefer more female minifigs in normal city sets than a second run of RI.
    dougts
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ I just prefer my LEGO without the side helping of identity politics.
    pharmjodelectrobovine
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40
    As someone studying science, I am interested in the set for that reason. I might even purchase more RI if they become available.
  • jediami65jediami65 United StatesMember Posts: 474
    edited September 2014
    This is from the most recent Lego catalog, I guess they had this printed before the products went on sale and really shows TLG's short mindedness on both the ES and the RI especially. I understand that they may think that some Ideas sets have a limited following, but the buzz about both of these sets should have opened their eyes to what the demand was going to be like.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    They did the same with 41999
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,660
    [email protected] US now showing: "We apologize, but this item is no longer available on shop.LEGO.com. Limited quantities may be available in LEGO Stores."

First time I have seen this for a set...
    Interesting - defer customers to stores, rather than just putting "sold out".
  • BillybrownBillybrown UKMember Posts: 748

[email protected] US now showing: "We apologize, but this item is no longer available on shop.LEGO.com. Limited quantities may be available in LEGO Stores."

Will save them a lot of time answering calls about whether they are getting them in online again, thats for sure. They were probably sick of saying they were out of stock and not sure when they were getting anymore in.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    my backorder from Aug 2 arrived today.
    dmg111Lordmoral
  • legogallegogal USMember Posts: 755
    The Raleigh store said they did not expect to receive any more RI. I missed the original shipment by a day, and they were completely sold out after that. It is not a heart breaker, but I do hope that they will bring it back soon so those of us who missed out can buy it for the list price. No way I will go anywhere and pay three times that much.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,901

[email protected] also shows that for the new UCS Tumbler, but with the "will ship in 30 days". They really need to have that in stock for Xmas.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    I was on the phone to Manchester Arndale mid week for a HH which incidentally was limited to 1p/p and casually asked if they had any RI's to which I was told they were getting some next Wednesday. Take it for what it's worth, I had the same conversation when it was the 41999's and when the day arrived they turned up with the goods.
  • dmg111dmg111 Member Posts: 40
    wagnerml2 said:

Mine arrived today as well.

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,124
    I'll lay full disclosure to this fact that I have yet to have the ability to purchase this set. I also will admit I should have stayed up late on August 1 to purchase this set. But I gotta admit it is awfully disappointing it has come to this. A regular ol joe needs to pay 3 times retail to get their hands on this. And to TLG how is this when only the best is good enough? The best would be if everyone big and small, large and tiny had an opportunity to purchase this set in a normal manner.
    NatebwbluemodernmadforLEGOBlueTaconivam
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 981
    I agree with @piratemania7. As a scientist, I was really looking forward to this set. I would hate to feed the resellers, but this set is a "must-have" for my collection. I will try and wait it out for a little while longer, but it sure would be nice to have some kind of resolution here. If anyone is interested, I will gladly trade just about anything in my collection for this!
    Natebw
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    I still am scratching my head at how they did not manage to better determine inventory for these two sets. You can't on one hand try to nix resellers, and then on the otherhand create sets with such limited inventory that they are basically impossible for the average person to find after one day of being out.
    mathewmadforLEGO
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    I think that we will still see limited runs of RI thru Christmas. With that said it's idiotic for Lego on one hand to ban resellers and then release a desireable set in such limited numbers. I'm not sure who is making these decisions (probably a boardroom full of wankers just like every other corporation) but they should be fired.
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 659
    When I spoke to uk customer services they said to keep checking after 1st sept as they were expecting more in !!!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    Both stores in my area indicated more are coming. I would just be patient.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    Looking at the completed listings on eBay, there is not a very big discrepancy between the selling prices of the Curiosity Rover and the RI (at a quick glance at least). While the supply issue over the RI is uncertain, would it be far off an equal trade? I haven't opened mine yet and missed out on the Rover.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,348
    ^ Where at ? In the UK Rover is well ahead of RI on sold prices.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    roxio said:

^ Where at ? In the UK Rover is well ahead of RI on sold prices.

I was looking at UK listings. RI seemed to be floating at €45-50 whereas Rover seemed to be 55-60 (with the exception of two spikes at 85-90). Been contemplating trying to sell RI if the balance towards the Rover wasn't going to be too much.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,348
    ^ I'd say it was more like £60 for Rovers / £40 for RI.
    If anyone wants to swap 1:1 their Rovers for my RI I'm in as well :)
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    I got shot of 3 Rovers for £70 each in a very short space of time to fund my Tumbler, I was the cheapest on ebay for them. I'd put a current value on the Rover of at least £70.

I got shot of 3 Rovers for £70 each in a very short space of time to fund my Tumbler, I was the cheapest on ebay for them. I'd put a current value on the Rover of at least £70.

£70 sounds about right, seen 1 go for £100 on ebay but that was a one off

• timttimt Member Posts: 33
    There is a petition now to have LEGO make this set more available https://www.change.org/p/lego-lego-make-empowered-female-minifigs-permanent
    timt said:

There is a petition now to have LEGO make this set more available https://www.change.org/p/lego-lego-make-empowered-female-minifigs-permanent

If you go back, you'll notice that this was posted almost three weeks ago, so nothing really new.

You also seem to have misread the petition. It is not to make more of them or to make it more available, but to be a permanent fixture, a mainstay, in LEGO's product line. Why should one set be PERMANENT? That is what the petition is calling for.

A much better argument can be made for making sets with a higher ratio of female minifigures a permanent fixture in the LEGO line-up, not just one particular set.
    madforLEGOTXLegoguy
  • timttimt Member Posts: 33
    I didn't sign the petition expecting the set or a series of sets to be made forever indefinitely, I just hoped LEGO would have made enough to keep them on the shelves longer than a few days or "permanent" versus limited?
    That is not what that particular petition is calling for.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,409
    ^I noticed we will be getting female criminals in the next City Police release. I also noticed a female minifigure with a large sledgehammer in the Construction theme.
    TXLegoguy
    ^I think it is great that they are putting more female minifigures into their sets, but I wouldn't want to see a female wielding a large sledgehammer ;)
    matticus_bricksdougtsTXLegoguy
    Pitfall69 said:

^I think it is great that they are putting more female minifigures into their sets, but I wouldn't want to see a female wielding a large sledgehammer ;)

They wouldn't be able to lift a large sledgehammer ;-)
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^^ in plain clothes it would've been great for a Misery MOC.
    hoyatablesPitfall69
  • 111ins111ins Member Posts: 265
    aaaah not the "E"
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,963
    I have not done the calculation, but first glance, yes, it did feel like more female minifigs in the upcoming city sets. I noted this in the swamp sets as well.

Pitfall69 said:

I'm not so sure. I know a female blacksmith that can lift heavier pieces of metal than me.
    margottamamahmSirKevbags
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    So I had an email from Lego and my order has been packed and will hopefully be shipped today. My order was originally on backorder!
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    My order has changed from backordered to in process, and my card has been debited today. Looks like some of the orders will be fulfilled at last. And when I spoke to CS a few days ago she told be the expected date was Oct 7th. There may be some more in store shortly.
  • LordmoralLordmoral Puerto RicoMember Posts: 704
    dmg111 said:

wagnerml2 said:

Mine arrived today as well.

Mine arrived last week.
    CCC said:

Pitfall69 said:

I'm not so sure. I know a female blacksmith that can lift heavier pieces of metal than me.
    I wouldn't want to see her either.
  • TheBrickLaddTheBrickLadd Chippenham, Wilts, UK.Member Posts: 844
    Mine has shipped!
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,048
    ^Likewise :-)
    TheBrickLadd
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited September 2014
    Both the ones arriving in stores now and those being sent from [email protected] (thanks @teamladd) have a new batch code showing they were made in September.The second production run has arrived, presumably they'll become available at [email protected] soon and as with the exo suit stay in stock for a decent time. People can get back to paying the more sensible £16 for it now!
  • koozkooz Connecticut, USAMember Posts: 158
    Any reason to think these won't also sell out immediately?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,777
    j
    kooz said:

Any reason to think these won't also sell out immediately?

Well if LEGO are complete tools then yes. If LEGO learned its lesson, made double of what it made for the first round, and limit them to one per household- and monitor sales on their site to stop multiple orders, then they should last longer. Also they are likely to arrive at TRU and other retailers as well if they really are making more.
    Again It all depends if LEGO learned its lesson.
    Never mind that more being released should hopefully slow down the resellers a bit, it probably will not stop them (especially with Christmas rolling around) but I think more people will have an opportunity to get one IF LEGO did their homework and release these better.

Seeing these sets released botched like this reminds me of the Minecraft set fiasco though, where it was one of the most difficult sets to find when it was released.
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    RI back in stock at glasgow store, limit 5 , only about 10 left!
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 868
    I'm hoping patience is rewarded. Latest report from my local store is that they expect them in early October, which jives with what everyone else is saying. Not thrilled about having to leave the office in the middle of a work day in order to try to pick one up but if that is what it takes . . .
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,777
    Milne44 said:

RI back in stock at glasgow store, limit 5 , only about 10 left!

Limit 5... Gee I Wonder why they keep selling out to resellers?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,460
    ^ Yeah, really. It annoys me how many anti-reselling policies they come up with and even ban buyers from online and in-store purchases and then at the same time they do something as naive as this.
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    Yeah I know it's crazy too limit to 5, lego will never change! I would get down there quick as the guy said there selling fast