Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mixels and X-Pod

KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973
Just found the old X-Pod sets (that I had never seen before) after a random browse around the sets database and a lot of them look just like Mixels sets.

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Creator/subtheme-X-Pod

#4338 and #4349 in particular could be Mixels easy. Does anyone know if the X-Pod range sold well at the time, they look really good to me now.

Comments

• pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    X-pod's sold reasonably well I think, but nothing spectacular. I honestly don't think they made a ton of them then. I found a number on clearance back in the day.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 618
    Just goes to show what a cartoon tie-in and the addition of some new ball-joints can do for both the kid and adult markets!
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,059
    They were very popular at the time and sold well. However I think the case was expensive to produce and I know there were design flaws with it that the designers didn't have an opportunity to fix.

I know this because I met them at the time and at their request developed a website to enable creations to be shared. This was in 2004, before Facebook and the like made it much easier.

The red one is one of my favourite sets of all time and, like MIxels, has loads of potential for making cool models.
    KingDaveaimlesspursuits
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,357
    ^ Your photography was not so good back in the day was it @Huw? :o)

The X-Pods are some of the earliest sets I remember seeing in stores and considering buying, but I ignored them at the time as I preferred more substantial sets.
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 973
    They are a kind of prequel hybrid of Mixels/Star Wars Planets . No bargains on flebay at the moment, but I have now made a mental note to keep an eye out in future.
  • ChrisbstmChrisbstm USAMember Posts: 151
    I've picked up a couple of the x-pods at the swap meet, and they're pretty sweet. The loop to attach them to a belt is a clever idea
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 878
    They were released during my dark ages, so I discovered them when sourcing parts for the Arvo Brothers's Kaneda's Bike. I think I have 3 or 4 sets of the red #4349 Wild Pod, and one of those came in a lot with #4339 Aqua Pod and #4337 Dragon Pod.
    Pocketone23
  • VenunderVenunder Grimsby, UK.Member Posts: 2,645
    I had forgotten about these.
    I have a few of them, but need to search my stores to find them. :)