Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What is the best sort of paint for Lego modification?

BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,358
Just as the title says, I bought a minifigure with intentions of adding a bit of hair and other touch ups via paint. Any suggestions as to what type of paint to use and best methods for application? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,450
    Oh good someone got to this before me, I've got some custom parts heading my way some point soon that will need painting. I was thinking the same paint from airfix models but if anyone has advise its always welcome.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I'm sure different countries have different paint brands, but here in the USA Testors is an excellent choice. Many of their colors actually match LEGO's colors perfectly right out of the little bottles, so there is no need to mix. Then there is dying also, which is a whole different process alltogether, but it seems like you guys were looking for painting choices. So for that I would recommend Testors, or if you are not in the USA, some other paint used by modelers.
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,358
    Thanks @akunthia. Sounds good.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,728
    akunthita said:

Then there is dying also, which is a whole different process alltogether......

You're not wrong. A bit drastic, though....

Oh, you mean dyeing?

;-)

Sorry - couldn't resist!
    carlqTheBigLegoskiAanchir
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    Try Tamiya acrylic paints, I use them quite a bit and x-27 clear red is excellent as blood!

http://www.ontracks.co.uk/index.php?page=fromLibrary&guide=59
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    Does it work well on Lego minifig "rubber" headpieces too? I recently used a silver Sharpie to make Celeborn out of an extra Thranduil (cutting off the points of the crown.)
  • pricey73pricey73 UKMember Posts: 352
    @klatu003‌ , not really tried them on "rubber" headpieces, but don't see any reason they shouldn't work. Trial and error!
    Sharpies and other silver markers tend to rub off leaving a dull finish.
    klatu003
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    It is maybe somewhat more expensive (depending on which brand you take: Rembrandt; Van Gogh; or Amsterdam) then your average hobby paint which sometimes is of mediocre to outright poor quality, but if money is no issue, get your hands on Talens Acrylic paint. You could even buy modelling-paste and gel-medium too to sculpt your own (rubbery) headpiece for your minifigs etc. ( @klatuu003 e.g. if you want to try your luck at fashioning your own elven hairpiece creations ). There are of course also other brands which produce excellent professional paint etc. for fine art.
    talens.com/en-gb/products/acrylic-colours/#scroll
    amsterdam.royaltalens.com/en/hulpmiddelen
    klatu003