Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How does everyone else store their LEGO instructions?

2»

Comments

• BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I use 1 gallon ziplock freezer bags.
  • tedwardtedward CanadaMember Posts: 163
    I stopped bothering and recycled a pile a while ago. I realized I was never going to need the multiples and then I realized I am never likely to build 90% of the models again so I pared down to a very few that have sentimental value or some particular section I think I may want to reproduce. If I need to look at instructions in general I come here to BrickSet and download the pdf file. You can store a lot of manuals in .pdf form in a very small space. :)
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Our brick storage is kind of unde control, but no idea what the best way to store instructions are. i dont keep boxes so this is the last issue for us. currently we just have a big box with all the instructions thrown in but thats clearly unacceptable.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Keep a look out, possibly at work during renovations etc for those Bisley filing cabinets with the drawers. Often they come in a stack of 15 and I've found them really useful. The often appear on ebay for local collection only so bargins can be had.
    ^ Thank you, suprised i missed that.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,991
    Box files are handy too.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,804
    I would recommend to sell duplicate instructions before throwing them out or recycling them. People ALWAYS need instruction book, and many go up in price, partly because people tend to lose them or throw them away :-)
    looking at that other thread im inclined to go with lever arch files and plastic pockets.
  • BustinBustin Member Posts: 286
    I went with heavy freezer bags with a zipper lock. They come in sizes that surprisingly match the standard and larger instruction manuals. Plus they are water proof.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,391
    Probably not the best solution but I keep mine in a giant Lego Store bag with all the posters and lego club magazines the kids get
  • licowboy74licowboy74 Member Posts: 12
    I have been placing sets in plastic bins, grouping them according to theme and how they relate to each other, the instructions I place with the sets in the bins. figure best to keep them al together. Place set numbers on outside face of box so i can access what I want later on, BIG project though
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    I've got separate lever arch files for City, Pirates & space, Friends, Techinc etc. Storing them flat stops everything getting creased and it's easy to find them when I want to.

I've also got a pile of loose instructions on a bookshelf over there, some under the telly, the instructions for a crane in my bedside table...
  • EKSamEKSam Member Posts: 349
    We use binders with sheet protectors, separate binder for each theme.
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 242
    Most of mine are stored back in the original boxes in the loft, instructions from polybag, duplo and the sets I have "loaned" to my kids are stored in box files. Looking at some of the previous posts I could have a much better system. I think a few days sorting may end up saving a lot of time in the future. I have tried using the instructions over the interweb but find the originals to be my preferred method.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    I store mine in Really Useful boxes.
  • littletokilittletoki Member Posts: 517
    @bmwlego ~ I think we were separated at birth. LOL. For the front covers, I used the Lego posters.

Here's my set up:

Lego Instructions

Lego Instruction Binders: Front page
    bluemodernmargotmessyBrickDancerAdeelZubairgmonkey76Bluefox1966Galactus
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 872
    Having only recently re-started collecting Lego I've found that board-backed envelopes work wonders for keeping instructions pristine. The binder idea looks great for larger collections though.
  • Big_Blue_WinkyBig_Blue_Winky Member Posts: 181
    I keep mine in their relevant boxes then have those boxes stored in my mahoosive Larini exhaust box, weird I know but keeps everything tidy.
  • TedLitTedLit Member Posts: 1
    Here's some more info about the protective pages BCW Supplies has for placing your LEGO books in a 3-ring binder:

http://blog.bcwsupplies.com/save-lego-books/
    gmonkey76
  • WoutStopmotionWoutStopmotion Member Posts: 33
    I just keep them piled up in a closet somewhere...
    I had them piled up, but now using binders and these for small instruction sheets:
    http://www.amazon.com/25-Pack-Disc-Sleeves-Binder-Pages/dp/B00B3B5VTU/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1410887857&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=25-Pack+8+Disc+CD+DVD+Poly+Sleeves+3+Ring+Binder+Pages+-+200+Disc+Capacity+(White)

Also these for the 5 1/2X5 1/2" instruction books: http://www.amazon.com/20-Twenty-Pages-2-Pocket-Postcards/dp/B003AOK3O6/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1410887805&sr=1-1&keywords=20+(Twenty+Pages)+-+BCW+Pro+2-Pocket+Page+(7-1/8"+x+5-1/2"+Cards,+Postcards+or+Photos)

As for the larger rectangular books and large instruction sheets, I use file cabinet folders (which have little hooks to hang them in a cabinet) for those.
    I just got tired of have to search and search for the instructions, and uneven piles of instructions sitting around looking messy. Now that I have them sorted by type and genre I plan to sort them by set numbers, but I know that will take time so I am putting it off..lol
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    It may be looked at as overkill but I now keep each instruction manual in a plastic sleeve and then place in a hanging file folder within a filing box. This way I can easily access each manual without messing with it too much and the separation is good for each manual. Space limitations will eventually limit this model but it works great for now.
    edited September 2014

It may be looked at as overkill but I now keep each instruction manual in a plastic sleeve and then place in a hanging file folder within a filing box. This way I can easily access each manual without messing with it too much and the separation is good for each manual. Space limitations will eventually limit this model but it works great for now.

I wanted to do that, but I have a lot of spare instructions, which is what I use the above pages linked that I have gotten. Spares for when I need them for sets, and I just did not have the space to individually place each into its own sleeve, nor the cost of having to buy that many sheets, I figure that for the most part being in an opaque and closed plastic bin, not in a flood prone area, should keep them OK for now.
    I should also add my instructions for the sets that are in my collection are in the containers that house my old sets, either in a folder in the plastic crate or in the ziploc baggie the parts for the set are in.
    I try not to separate them in case of misplacing them. At least if they are with the set and those get misplaced, everything does.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,840
    I just through them all in a bag. :P I have no need to use them again so why bother with sorting them out. If something breaks and I really need instructions I will use the wonderful website of BrickSet and download the PDF.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,593
    edited September 2014
    In plastic sheet protectors in 3" three ring binders sorted by theme and then subtheme in numeric order. I had my Star Wars broken down by movie/TV show but got tired of rearranging them when I got new sets now they are just labeled Star Wars 1-14. All told I probably have 30 binders full, but that doesn't include duplicate instructions which I keep in a box somewhere.
  • JdurgJdurg Member Posts: 18
    Being a former Comic Book collector, I had a bunch of spare cardboard backing sheets and acid-free plastic sleeves. For those that fit in there, I put them in the sleeves with the cardboard backing and have them in a filing cabinet in my home office. I store them by theme (which aside from my Simpsons House and Ghostbusters' Ecto-1 is all Star Wars) then by set number. For the large manuals, like set 10188 and 10221, I just have them flat in the bottom of the cabinet.

I just like going through the manuals and in my head re-living the building of the set. For something like the Sandcrawler that came out this year, seeing all the additional information in the manual about the vehicle is pretty nice.
    yys4u
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    I would really love to go the 3 ring binder way and use plastic sleeves. Some good ideas for smaller instructions too, I didn't know there were sleeves like some of you guys linked too. I'm afraid I'll end up like @gmonkey76‌ and have 30 binders. That's a lot of space to find for binders... If I can fit all my instructions into maybe 3 binders I'll do it. I probably don't have nearly as many sets as some of you guys