Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Value of a regular minifigure?

adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
Just a general question:

Now I know values of minifigures vary greatly but if/when buying joblots how do you work out the costs of minifigure lots?

I'm talking non-series or licensed. Stuff like pretty generic city figs or a couple of space or such that's nothing special?

£1? £2? Less?

We are assuming in this hypothetical scenario they are all in decent used condition

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    If you are looking to sell them on, then probably no more than 30p. If you are buying them to use, then maybe 50p.

Take a look at bricklink prices for used parts of minifigs, and that will give you an idea. Very rough prices are - legs 10p, torso 20p, head 10p, hair/hat 10p. Of course it varies on condition and what it actually is. But bear in mind job lots can often contain a lot of police, firemen and construction worker parts.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,038
    I would say it depends on if you are buying for yourself or for resale. If you are buying for yourself I would say $1 per used excellent condition minifigs is reasonable. If you are buying for resale, I wouldn't pay more than 50 cents for generic minifig.
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    50-75p per figure is a typical e-bay result for generic figure auctions in my experience. I built up the core of my minifig collection this way, avoiding sellers who clearly knew what was worth money and picking up some remarkably valuable figures in poorly photographed lots.

There's ususally a glut of 'Buy it nows' at higher prices, but they rarely sell.

The most common fail is people who see Star Wars figs selling for a high price, and then think their collection of crummy droids and stormtroopers are worth £££s.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    I'd agree with the above sentiment - for something decent that is pretty common but that I will keep for my personal collection or use to display in some sort of scene I would maybe pay max $1. This is because I am not going to buy just 1, and then pay shipping and handling on top of that, for a single minifigure thats insane, but I am sure is done all the time. I would grab say maybe 10 if I had too, after that the $$$'s just start adding up.

For something that I buy to resell, well I do not resell so cannot comment here.
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    Wow if any on you are willing to sell me a minifig for 30p I will buy them by the 100s!
    piratemania7
  • adventure_aladventure_al Scotland Member Posts: 243
    I've been buying lots on eBay at 60p-70p per fig. (I've gained a few decent figs this way.) I find it's better having the chance of the odd gem as opposed to other sites where savvy sellers have already left you with firemen and policemen. Unless someone can point me in the direction of these super cheap figs?

I even have a regular guy I buy from on eBay (his items are good and prices mostly fair) but even when I offered to buy in the hundreds he still wanted £1 a fig! (I want variety not those damn checked shirt and glasses dudes!)
    edited September 2014
    The super cheap lots are normally the ones made up out of firemen, police, construction, that plaid blue shirt, etc. Without seeing the contents first, I'd assume most job lots are like that on eBay. Many sellers cherry pick then sell off the crap as a mixed lot. Remember also not all figs are real figs, they may have had expensive bits swapped out or just bulk parts put together in a random fashion.

If you cannot buy in bulk, then postage is often a killer. I've often heard people saying they bought something for 99p, but really it was 99p plus postage. Even if you buy five figs and postage is £1 then that is an extra 20p per fig in postage costs.

I don't usually bother with job lot purchases on ebay, especially if the seller sells single figures too. Why buy someone else's crap that they know would not sell individually.

The same goes for the 100 random parts auctions, or 500g auctions.

You can often get job lots of figures (50-100) at boot fairs or charity shops. They tend to be slightly less cherry picked and at least you can see what you are getting.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    I feel like the average minifigure these days for me is about $20-$40. Why do I want the expensive ones? :P
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    CCC said:

You can often get job lots of figures (50-100) at boot fairs or charity shops. They tend to be slightly less cherry picked and at least you can see what you are getting.

I don't know which ones that you attend, but I rarely see Lego at a car boot and never see it in charity shops :(

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,062
    Depends on what you mean by 'common'? Do you mean common figures from the 80's? Common figures not licensed or what? Are the new or used?

I find myself paying ab out 2-3 dollars per figures, but that is because they have been 'rare' city figures, or Castle figures from the 80's for example.

Depends on what you mean by 'common'? Do you mean common figures from the 80's? Common figures not licensed or what? Are the new or used?

I find myself paying ab out 2-3 dollars per figures, but that is because they have been 'rare' city figures, or Castle figures from the 80's for example.

I think that is something completely different. If you are buying known figures where you can see them all and check the rough value then, well, you can check the value before bidding / buying. If you just see a bulk job-lot pile of figures and the seller says they are used but good condition, then there will be all sorts in there. The value is much harder to determine since you cannot see everything and there will no doubt be mixed up figures if they have been played with by kids.
  • CHERUBboyCHERUBboy Member Posts: 98
    One good ebay trick:

People in the know usually use the phrase minifig/minifigure. Random mums who scooped up all their kids old lego often don't. So searching for 'lego men,' or 'lego people,' can turn up good lots from time to time. Searching for theme names can also be good, since a lot of people searching just use 'lego minifig' as their search term. Doesn't work with Star Wars though!
    bobabricksyys4uAanchir
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    CHERUBboy said:

One good ebay trick:

People in the know usually use the phrase minifig/minifigure. Random mums who scooped up all their kids old lego often don't. So searching for 'lego men,' or 'lego people,' can turn up good lots from time to time. Searching for theme names can also be good, since a lot of people searching just use 'lego minifig' as their search term. Doesn't work with Star Wars though!

SHHH!! Don't tell everyone...
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
    augen said:

I don't know which ones that you attend, but I rarely see Lego at a car boot and never see it in charity shops :(

I buy loads of lego at car boot sales. Someone bought a small box with loads of figures for a fiver. They were in good nick with a couple of odd looking star wars figures.
    I have bought two 3181 for a total of £9. Obe complete the other not. Sold bothon for £55.
    Bought a complete squarebob set for £2.
    The problem is of course all cheap lego is sold before carboot opens...
    As for charity shops. Avoid mainstream ones. Use local ones. I have bought lego from remote charity shops.
    Try an ad in your local paper, i have seen so many dirt cheap lego slip pass my fingers....
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
    Forgot to mention. One week i bought the trailer 7994 and the next week the front bit. Complete set for £4.... that is life at car boot sales.