Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Moving from US to Germany - Differences between Lego Stores?

Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
So, I will be moving to Germany at the end of the month, and I got to wondering what the differences, if any, were between Lego Stores here in the States and over in Germany. Tonight is the Monthly Free Build here in the States; do they happen over in Germany/EU? Are their sets that are exclusive to Germany/EU? Do the new sets get released at the same time over there?

I should have asked the Lego Store person I was talking with on my brief trip over there last month, but I did not have the time to do more than ask if they had any Research Institute sets.

Also, are there any LUG groups around Wiesbaden?
piratemania7

Comments

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,038
    Poisso3 said:

So, I will be moving to Germany at the end of the month, and I got to wondering what the differences, if any, were between Lego Stores here in the States and over in Germany. Tonight is the Monthly Free Build here in the States; do they happen over in Germany/EU? Are their sets that are exclusive to Germany/EU? Do the new sets get released at the same time over there?

I should have asked the Lego Store person I was talking with on my brief trip over there last month, but I did not have the time to do more than ask if they had any Research Institute sets.

Also, are there any LUG groups around Wiesbaden?

Wow have fun! You are connected by land to Billund - aka LEGO Mecca, you should get there as soon as you can!
    Poisso3
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    Oh, believe me, we as a family have talked about making a visit up there! Looks to be a 7 hour drive so a perfect family trip on a weekend. :)
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Poisso3 said:

Tonight is the Monthly Free Build here in the States; do they happen over in Germany/EU?

The Monthly Free Builds in Germany tend to happen on Thursdays instead of Tuesdays. France seems to do them on Wednesdays, while the rest of the stores in the EU have them on Thursdays.

Sounds like a great adventure. Where in the US are you moving from?
    Poisso3
    ^Thanks for the info!

St Louis, MO to Wiesbaden/Ingelheim, Germany.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited September 2014
    As someone from the USA, the first thing you will go through about LEGO - and pretty much everything else - is sticker shock. Prices in Europe, especially Germany, are way over what we are used to here. So, if your move is temporary, I would hold off on LEGO purchases and just visit the stores, Billund, etc. If it is more permanent-ish, buy as much LEGO as you can BEFORE you go. You are going to deeply miss our prices...(c;
    akunthita said:

As someone from the USA, the first thing you will go through about LEGO - and pretty much everything else - is sticker shock. Prices in Europe, especially Germany, are way over what we are used to here. So, if your move is temporary, I would hold off on LEGO purchases. If it is more permanent-ish, buy as much LEGO as you can here before you go. You are going to deeply miss our prices...(c;

We are bringing over a lot of bricks as it is. When I was over there last month, I did notice that the price in Euros was higher than US dollars. The Research Institute was $19.99 Euro, and it is $19.99 US here. That works out to about $26 US, so yeah, a little high from what we've been spending, but when everything is in Euros, we'll be used to paying that as the normal price.
    What is taking you to Germany if you dont mind my asking?
    My wife accepted an offer for a new job over there.
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    Wow, I couldn't even imagine a move like that. I moved from the St. Louis area to DC metro area 2 years ago this Sunday, and that move was crazy. My wife, fiancee at the time got a residency in DC and moved in June of 2012, I moved that September, and those moves were killer. We'll be moving again in a little under two years when she finishes, but depends on where she lands work, so who knows. I do miss home though. Is this a permanent move? Good luck!
    ^Thanks! Yeah, having to delete a large majority of all of what we have accumulated over the years has been difficult.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    Well one advantage over here is that on the AFOL shopping days you'll get 15% off even on exclusives! Also damaged boxes will be available for reduced purchase (don't matter if exclusive or not)! Besides this,everything is way more expensive over here,some sets even ridiculisly (Lone Ranger Stage Coach was 50€/$65)!
    Poisso3
    Thats a good point you have about getting rid of stuff @Poisso3. It can very liberating to pare down and organize one's life.

My wife and I moved to Utah and took nothing but what we could fit into our cars back in the day - the next year we returned to the East Coast again with nothing but what was in our cars; puts into perspective what really matters.
    CircleK
    Diggydoes said:

Well one advantage over here is that on the AFOL shopping days you'll get 15% off even on exclusives! Also damaged boxes will be available for reduced purchase (don't matter if exclusive or not)! Besides this,everything is way more expensive over here,some sets even ridiculisly (Lone Ranger Stage Coach was 50€/$65)!

So, what is this AFOL Shopping Day? And what do they qualify as a damaged box? :-D
  • Lego91Lego91 GermanyMember Posts: 86
    edited September 2014
    Remember that our German price has already the taxes included. :)
    I'm from Stuttgart (approx. 2h away, further south) and we don't have a Lego store here, so I can't help with store questions.

I suggest taking a look at a Galeria Kaufhof store. They have some exclusives (like the Palace Cinema) and you can get it cheaper sometimes. You can also join the "Payback" customer card thing and you get points on your purchases (make sure to see if you have any coupons, sometimes you get up to 10 times more points). Same with Karstadt, they also have a customer card, also sometimes reduced prices. Supermarkets like Marktkauf and Real are also worth checking (also customer cards). Real sometimes has offers like buy more than three Mixel sets and get each of them around 23% cheaper. Marktkauf just had a 50% sale on old sets, so always walk trough the Lego line when you go shopping there.
    Poisso3
    I have a VIP card that apparently works in the EU as I was able to use it and get 10Euro off my purchase while I was in Germany.

I will look into those other store you mentioned. Thank you, @Lego91!
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,074
    Poisso3 said:

Diggydoes said:

So, what is this AFOL Shopping Day? And what do they qualify as a damaged box? :-D
    The first rule of the AFOL shopping day is "don´t talk about the shopping day" ;)
    It depends what the Store-Manager declares as "damaged" but usually those are minor defects on the Box, so if you buy to build def. interesting!
    Diggydoes said:

Poisso3 said:

Diggydoes said:

The first rule of the AFOL shopping day is "don´t talk about the shopping day" ;)
    It depends what the Store-Manager declares as "damaged" but usually those are minor defects on the Box, so if you buy to build def. interesting!
    Oh yeah, a set my stay boxed a couple days only because we don't have time to build it as soon as we get it. :-)
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    Poisso3 said:

Moving from US to Germany - Differences between Lego Stores

About 200%. :o)
    Poisso3
    Legoboy said:

Poisso3 said:

Moving from US to Germany - Differences between Lego Stores

About 200%. :o)
    The Wiesbaden Lego Store was very much better than the US Lego Stores I have been in. :-)