Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Related sets

HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
edited December 2011 in The Database
Something that came up in the survey, and which has been discussed here before, is recording relationships between sets. I've been giving it some thought and it should be fairly simple to implement in the database with a many-many relationship between records in the set list. Something like this:

ParentSetID, ChildSetID, RelationshipType

'Parent' and 'child' doesn't necessarily need to imply that kind of relationship, just a means of determining which is which, and which 'direction' the relationship is.

So, some examples,

66377-1 (parent) and 7869-1 (child). A product collection and a set included in the collection.

So, the relationship between parent and child is 'contains' and vice-versa it's 'included in'.

Between an unopened minifig pack and an identified one, the relationships would be 'might contain' and 'might be in'

Between 691-1 and 480-1 (a helicopter) it would be 'European version of' and 'US version of'

Between 1183-1 and 3021-1 (small Adventurers set) it would be 'Same as' in both directions.

Am I making sense? Are there any other kinds of relationships? Does this approach cater for all eventualities?

Let me know what you think and I'll get cracking on it in the new year...

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited December 2011
    10231-1 and 10213-1 - "replacement for" / "replaced by" ?

Not sure if there are other instances of this. Seems like service packs are the typical solution when problems arise with sets. That was the case with this one as well, but then they just flat out released a whole new set to replace it.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,208
    The tie/y-wing, King's Castle, Legoredo re-releases?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,914
    Exactly. Sounds as if there's a lot of data to collate. Implementing the feature will be the easy bit.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    if you can crowdsource collating the data, might be easier - not sure how though.
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    The only other relationship I can think of at the moment is a "combines with" relationship, in the way that the Action themes (and Bionicle) often have model ideas in the instructions that you can make from combined models, and sometimes even actual instructions for building them. Other examples might be the instructions in, say, the Emerald Night for fitting a motor, sensor, battery, etc. (not that different from the product collection, but there is a subtle difference).

Not sure about how to describe relationships like those between the Jabba's Palace/Jabba's Message/ Jabba's Prize; they were clearly designed to be combined for play purposes, and marketed as such. The Modular Buildings are designed to 'interoperate' with each other, but not sure how that relationship would be best captured (it's kind of implicit in the whole theme).

What about the SW Dropship working with the AT-TE as well as the AT-OT it comes with ... definitely a relationship between those sets :-)