Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

First Lego Set

B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
I don't know if this thread was already created but it would be interesting to know where other people started their Lego collections
SuperTramp

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Bought my gf the #5891 Apple Tree House on a whimsy to act as a Doll House. Next thing you know...
    SuperTrampLegoboy
  • donutboydonutboy U.K.Member Posts: 680
    edited August 2014
    This was my first Lego set. Thanks to Look-In magazine I was obsessed with James Hunt, so my Dad bought me this when I was 7 years old.
    My life long (mostly) love of Lego started right there.

I've still got it. Lost one of the weird engine "taps" though.
    flowerpotgirlbobabrickspvp3020SuperTramp
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,263
    My LEGO addiction stems from a trip to John Lewis aged four. My parents decided that it might be a good idea to buy me #3041, and they have regretted it ever since!
    SuperTramp
  • imhotep85imhotep85 Southampton, UKMember Posts: 24
    Not sure what came first, but it's one of #6983 or #6898. I need to get them out of my parents attic but there is so much up there I know its several weeks of work sorting the stuff (which I will actually love I am sure).
    SuperTramp
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    I have no idea what my childhood first set was, but I remember them all as Benny's spaceship. :)

My first set as an AFOL was #3368, Space Center, which you can see here as a Christmas gift to my kids:

and here modded here on the left left of the shelf:

bobabricksSuperTramp
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    my first set I was given at the age of 1 (almost 2) it was 6503: Sprint Racer. I don't remember the build anymore, but that little car went everywhere with me (parents eventually kragled it so parts would stop falling off) I still have it and will never part with it (I might one day see about removing the glue if possible)

NatebwT_LarsbobabricksSuperTramp
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    @GallardoLU‌ That is an awesome story.
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 541
    The first LEGO set I bought myself was this one:

GBP 2 from what used to be Children's World, shortly before it closed.
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    I'm fairly certain my first set was #3669 Fire Station (Fabuland).
  • OmniusOmnius Member Posts: 42
    I already had a hand-me-down shoebox of parts from a variety of 70s sets (none of which were complete) from my older brother, but the first complete set I had myself was this:

There began a lifelong love affair!
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • flowerpotgirlflowerpotgirl ScotlandMember Posts: 147
    #263 Lego Kitchen. It was a gift for my 3rd birthday in 1975. I can remember opening it and spent hours playing with it. I do still have it, (no stickers, and definitely in a "played with" condition). I have loved Lego ever since. I also still have and cherish #695, bought for my by my late Father. Happy memories!
    NatebwdonutboySuperTramp
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    ^ Glad to know I'm not the only geezer here.

A big box of Samsonite Lego parts received for my January birthday 1974. Built tons of things with it! No idea if it had a set number but it was a 12x12x12 box with very little liturature.
    SuperTramp
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    I'm pretty young. #7888
    SuperTramp
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    As I am posting this I notice how I am probably one of the youngest here. :P Though I do remember getting a huge bucket of classic Lego before ever getting any sets.

These are my first sets, please don't laugh. ;P
    margotSuperTramp
  • T_LarsT_Lars USAMember Posts: 104
    edited August 2014
    Had some random Duplo pieces as a small child, but the earliest actual set I remember having was 520. I got it for Christmas when I was four.

Back in the 80s, yo.
    bobabricksNatebwSuperTramp
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 397
    As far as I know it was #6368, aged three, as a reward for not getting too upset that I had a baby brother instead of the baby sister I thought I had been promised... :)
    SuperTramp
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,389
    edited August 2014
    The first set I remember having was #6384, which I got for Christmas in about 1984 (or possibly 85) along with other smaller sets such as #6686 and #6623. I've recently got all of my old sets from my parents' house (except for #6623 for some reason... hmmm...) and, believe it or not, the box for #6384 is pretty much perfect. Seriously, not a dent or mark on it, except for some minor scuffs on the corners.

#6384:
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    I believe that it's either #375 or #928, but not sure which one I had first. I think that I may have had the castle first as I remember the purple used in the stickers as being darker than a later version of it.

The first set that I bought following my dark ages was also #7101 Light Sabre Duel.
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • MathiasMathias United StatesMember Posts: 94
    Still have it somewhere.
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited August 2014
    @bobabricks I'm not laughing, i'm crying! I feel so OLD... Lightsabre duel brought me out of my dark age! Lol. :oP

In another thread, i just recalled owning #617 as one of my earliest sets, though my most memorable early set was #1592 but not the first... i can't remember exactly what the very first was... I think it was a lump of volcanic rock fresh from the cooling earth's crust. :oD
    bobabricksSuperTramp
    @legomatt It's a fun little set, I still want to find the smooth Qui-Gon hair pictured on the box...
    SuperTramp
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,088
    Ugh.... this is going to date me right back to the Stone Age.... 700/1 Basic Set shipped from my Uncle in Germany to me in the USA... um..... Christmas 1960... a year before LEGO came to the USA... :-O
    T_LarsaugenmargotSuperTrampdonutboySirBen
    @bobabricks did you lose the hair piece, or did you mean yours came with a different - more detailed - hair piece? I can't remember what mine looks like. Was there two versions?
    SuperTramp
    @legomatt The hair on the box is kind of like the smooth Leia hair. The actual one has lines for detail.
    SuperTramp
    Ah right. I've heard of the leia one, but I don't know that a smooth Qui-Gon hair piece ever happened - even by accident. I've not heard of it, at least.
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    legomattbobabricksSuperTrampdonutboy
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    I seriously cannot remember what my very first set ever was but I do remeber that the first set I bought for myself was #928 Galaxy Explorer from Argos using Green Shield Stamps.

Mid dark ages I bought a couple of the first Star Wars sets #7101 Lightsaber Duel and #7128 Speeder Bikes.

My recent return began with #7965 Millennium Falcon in 2012...
    bobabricksSuperTramp
    @Jonn420 That is such a cool set to start you off on a life-long Lego adventure. Classic space in a nutshell. And look at the mobile-base's legs! How often lego surprises me, I'll think a piece is relatively new, only to suddenly spot it sitting happily in a set from 30 or 40 years back... and then see it in dozens more.
    Jonn420bobabricks
  • RomanticWarriorRomanticWarrior United StatesMember Posts: 248
    #6062 - Battering Ram :)
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    edited August 2014
    The first set, or at least I think it was my first set, was this fantastic set: #911-1

I may have had others and I definitely had a motor (#107-1 I think - remember the unusal plate).

I must've been about 6 when I got this as I don't really remember a time when I never had Lego. Besides this, #6801-1 was one of the other sets I had and one of the first I got coming out of my dark ages. I pretty much stopped playing with Lego around 11-12, occasionally with little cousins I would build stuff from the bricks I had. I know I also had a few other sets but this was the 911 is the one that I remember. My dad even built me a custom desk with compartments and slide-back lids that acted like leafs for building on - don't know what happened to that but I know at my mum's house there's loads of Lego there with teeth marks including parts from this set.

Long time ago...
    bobabricksSuperTramp
  • TheBrokenPlateTheBrokenPlate Member Posts: 28
    I think my very set was the Universal Basic set 3, around '75 or '76. I definitely remember getting 614 Digger and 613 Bi-Plane around the same time.
    My first Technic set was 850 Forklift, followed by 857 Motorbike & Sidecar the following xmas.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    edited August 2014
    Although i had Lego before, the first set i can remember having is the #6541 Intercoastal Seaport. Would have been around 8 or 9.

Im pretty sure i had a fire truck before the seaport but cant seem to find it atm.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    Just found the Fire Engine i had although its in a Fire Station set #6389 and i cant remember owning the the full set. that was released a year before the coastal set i had.
  • Jonn420Jonn420 Member Posts: 267
    thanks @legomatt , yea i think i couldnt have asked for a better first set, i got it for my 6th birthday, with two more sets to follow Christmas (space/lifeguard)....i loved how the old sets had alt. builds on the back....but the highlight of the set is the front of the box, where the Red spaceman is trying to fix the illegal connection on the front of the tenticle/arm.
    SuperTramplegomatt
  • Poisso3Poisso3 Member Posts: 196
    edited August 2014
    My first Lego set was the #4015 Freighter. image

I can still remember putting it together with my dad. :)
    bobabricksSuperTrampSilentMode
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,088
    In case anyone wonders what was the very first LEGO set that could have been your first LEGO set?? This is it.... the 700/1 basic set (in a wooden box) of 1949... only one known (not in Billund Archives)... estimated value? $10,000
    SuperTramplegomatt
  • TheBigGuyTheBigGuy New ZealandMember Posts: 69
    The first two sets I owned were #7128 Speeder Bikes & #7140 X-wing Fighter.
    SuperTramp
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    My first was a 3 diget set. Maybe fire station or #375. Mostly likely a tiny set to start off.
    Funny to see peoples first set being a 4 diget number.... makes one feel old.
    And this folks is how Lego fans tell there age, if you were born during 3 digit set numbers or 4 digit set numbers. :P
    beegeedeePeteM
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    edited August 2014
    I know I'm going to get slaughtered; although I'm sure I'm not the longest life-long fan. My first set - that I can remember - is #333-2 . This would not have been my very first Lego; but it is my first set I remember receiving - at age 3 or 4.
    I could still piece it together if I have to - I still have the grey tyres, 'transport' signs and blue 5x5 doors Probably the hardest pieces to come by are the steering wheel pieces (unbroken). These wheels had a stem right up through the cab, and you steered by turning the 'Lego' sign on top. The 5x6 plates with a hole in them have bedevilled me ever since - so damn hard to use productively in anything.
    bobabricksmargot
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    @bobabricks‌ we must be the same age, mine was #7101... will have to check his hair
    bobabricks
  • pugmompugmom Member Posts: 5
    I don't remember my first, but I loved, loved all the castle stuff. I still have (and build) the king's castle - 6080, and some of the other smaller castle sets.
  • jimmysnuffjimmysnuff Member Posts: 2
    First post of mine on the site and a fitting first thread. My obsession began with this one in '84
    legomattbobabricks
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    Going on the 3 digit sets I have found instructions to #580 Brickyard amongst the paperwork at my parents... I remember the conveyor and grabber crane on the rails well enough.
  • B_HollsB_Holls Member Posts: 41
    Great to here all the different stories, my first set was the Tie fighter from the original SW line ah memories