Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Set 5512

Comments

• snaliensnalien Member Posts: 2
    sad I never even got 1 box for my 5 yr old. not sure what I'm going to tell him Xmas morning.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
  • bluelion3bluelion3 Member Posts: 156
    I ordered 4 sets of 5512, one for a gift and the rest for me. The box arrived yesterday and, surprise!, it contained only one set. I read the invoice and it said it should have had 4. I was charged for 4 sets. I sent an email to Walmart and they said "Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience." Also: "Due to the item being out of stock online unfortunately we can only offer you a full refund. Please reply to this email to let us know whether you would like a full refund of your item." (Shouldn't they have just refunded me immediately? I have to ask for a refund? Is there any chance they will get it back in stock?)
    Grumble... Their mistake = my loss.
    My son saw the box and said, "Let's open it!" and I had to tell him it was for a gift.
    That sucks that you didn't get what you ordered... Hopefully by a "full refund", they mean for all 4, giving you the one you did get for free for the trouble.
    ^ I would be surprised if they did that! But pleasantly surprised this time. I replied to see if they planned to get it back in stock... even if it isn't at the sale price, they still should provide it at the price I paid.
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    Why not give it to your son and find another gift..?
    ^ Well, my son is two years old, so this one is mine, but he plays with most of my LEGO anyway. (He bent the dragon sword from the Ninjago Fire Temple, but that's another story.) The gift is for my four year old nephew who only has Duplo so far. I am considering the 6166 Large Brick Box or the 6194 My LEGO Town for him. But 5512 would have been a nice way to start for my nephew. Sure, I feel bad for my nephew, but there were supposed to be three 5512's in the order for me!
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    I just stopped by my Walmart and they had three 5512 XXL and about twelve 5511 XXL Duplo, $30 each. Interesting since my Walmart did not have any of these on Black Friday.

Yes, I bought all 3 of the 5512 and one of the 5511.
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    @andystar - they likely left the pallet in the stock room on Black Friday.

All the Walmarts in my area had these items out (and shrink wrapped) well in advance of Black Friday, and they are all now out of stock, according to the online item finder.

I only wish I had bought more than 4 of them.

Brent
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    they had a whole pallet of them at the $30 black friday price.. I say had because I bought all 35 (28 + 7 duplo) of them
    Holy... what?

Then again I would have bought a couple myself, if I ever would come across them at that price. Still... thirty?
    @MrBerre - Sure, why not? 35 of them is $1,136.63 with tax, but they are selling for twice that on eBay and Amazon right now.

Why not keep a few, gift a few, and pay for some of it by selling a few?
  • andystarandystar Member Posts: 275
    @MrBerre - Sure, why not? 35 of them is $1,136.63 with tax, but they are selling for twice that on eBay and Amazon right now.

Absolutely, look at set 6177 at Amazon, its 650pcs and sells for $30. Figure 1600 pieces should sell for at least 2x. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039PUTZY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p21_d0_g21_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1NTAMR85KWPYJEW1HZAM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Actually the truth of the matter is I bought 20 on BF, and the next day i thought i should have gotten more so i went to Walmart.com and bought 5 more since that's all they would sell me. When I went to Walmart a few days later and saw the pallet I just figured I'd stop playing around and bought them all. That makes 60 total, and I wish I would have gotten more. It's a sickness I know.
    Actually, while Walmart will only let you do 5 at a time, you can keep placing orders over and over...

To be honest, I've got 15 more coming from Walmart.com that way. ;)

5 just showed up today, but interestingly enough, 1 of the 5 did not have the strap holding the lid on, it was just loose. All 14 bags were there, so I really don't care.
    edited November 2011
    Keep checking your local Walmarts for the next few days/weeks... I visited two local stores today. The first one didn't have any, but the second store had 4 of 5511 (Duplo) and 1 of 5512 (LEGO).

There were a couple people in the area, and I don't think they were going toward it anyway, but I literally rushed over and grabbed the 5512. LOL It felt kinda like Black Friday all over again ;)

I'm not sure if these were returns OR if the stores got "partial pallets" of Black Friday stock, with a bunch of stuff all together on one pallet. I used to work retail and it was pretty common to miss a Black Friday mixed pallet up in the high racks in the stockroom. If these are indeed from partial pallets, it is quite likely we'll see these small groups of 5-10 of these boxes show up randomly for the next couple weeks.

Brent
    Are they selling current store stock for $30 or $39?
    $30.

$39 was never a store price. That was an online-only price for Cyber Monday. Since the stores don't normally sell this item, I wouldn't expect the price to change, unless some store has a ton of stock and ends up putting it on clearance.

Brent
    Nice...

If I had more assurance of getting them, I'd go hunting, but there isn't anything else at Wally World worth buying to make it worth the trouble.

Oh well...
    edited November 2011
    Well, there's also the chance of $1 S5 Minifigs....

Also, if you look for the item online, you can check local store inventory.
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246

Sure, but you'd also need to be able to pay for 30 boxes like that, transport them, store them, and then go through the hassle of selling them online.
    Transporting them is a problem, I had to leave 20 boxes in SC at my in-laws where I was for Thanksgiving. Also all of my BF B&N 50% off haul. I will bring it all up to NY on my next trip there. They think I am COMPLETELY bonkers btw.
    And you weren't completely bonkers before? ;)

I just picked up 8 more 5512 and 7 more 5511 at Wally World today, filled up the back of the truck, they are now stacked in our master bedroom... My wife loves that part of it... :)

But I keep telling her how good a deal it is, and she is happy that I'm not off drinking with the boys, and this is a cheaper addiction than drugs or beer, so what can you do, right? :)
    Haha, I had mine stacked in my den (for a few hours) and she had a fit when she walked in so i moved them to the warehouse. I mean basement.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @LegoFanTexas it all depends on what you're drinking :)
    @LegoFanTexas - I wish I could find them in any decent quantity in my area. Went back to my Walmart today, and they actually brought out a couple more of the Duplo, so now they have about a dozen of those sets. Wondering if I should buy some of those, although I have no family *that* young, so they'd be strictly for resale, and frankly my luck reselling Duplo has been minimal.

Do you plan to resell the Duplo?

Brent
    @BTHodgeman Duplo works great when making a large mountain MOC as the foundation
    Hmm - perhaps I should pick up some. I will also claim ignorance... how does one attach LEGO to Duplo? I know that Duplo can be attached to LEGO, but not sure how to do it the other way around?

Brent
    ^Gravity
    Arggh - not a fan of that method :P
    Yes, I do plan to resell the duplo, but it probably will go slower than the lego.

Then again, I have two kids of duplo age, and they have friends with birthdays, so if I sell none of it, I have a use for it.

If you have no use but for resale, then it becomes less interesting...
    @BTHodgeman you should be able to connect a 2x4 Brick to a Duplo Brick. I'll get a picture tonight with my sons' Duplos.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    ^ yes, the tubes from the 2x? bricks fit into the holes of the Duplo bricks - as long as there aren't cross supports.
    I just tried it and they fit together very nicely - even nicer than duplo on Lego, never knew it. Those Lego people are geniuses.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Duplo fits on Quatro as well. :)
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    I finally was able to get 1 of the 5512 box! Wal-Mart's website reported that all stores around me ran out of the 5512, but today I went grocery shopping at my nearest store in Coral Springs, FL and gave the classic look at the LEGO section, and there it was, with the other "Bricks 'n More" sets, the single 5512 box. I must say I feel that now my Black Friday haul was completely satisfying, because I can say I have at least one of these wonderful boxes to tell the story, despite the fact that it was a few days late, but it was at Black Friday price!
    @coolpix - same experience here. All of the Walmarts are showing "out of stock" online, but there are boxes in some stores.

I think the computer says out of stock automatically if the stock is low. I did see one store (couple hours away, of course) that said "limited availability," which presumably is more than one, but I'm not willing to drive that far for them.

Brent
    ^ Yep. It probably is that. With that in mind, I will look at other Wal-Mart stores nearby tomorrow (I have a total of 5 stores in a 15 mile radius from my home), and see if I can grab at least 2 more of these XXL boxes, one for the kids, and one for parts for my new Bricklink store!
  • dehnehsudehnehsu Bay Area, Calif.Member Posts: 197
    Anyone near the Mountain View, Calif. Walmart there are 3 XXL Duplo's and 2 XXL Lego boxes on a table by the Bikes near toys close to the price scanner. They still scan at $30. (1 Lego box is opened. FYI, there should be 14 poly bags total)
    edited December 2011
    Found another box today at the same store! This time it was on a top shelf at the clearance area. Probably a clueless employee placed it there after a return, because this box was not there yesterday. I have 2 XXL now. Only one to go to meet my goal... then again.... I think I suffer from LEGO-itis.... so I may end up getting more.... if I can find them....
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    so i moved them to the warehouse. I mean basement.
    I'm just loving this line...
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    I found one lone one in the Lego aisle at my local Walmart. Of course I had to buy it!
    They will probably keep trickling in as customers return them for whatever reason. Right after Christmas there will probably be a bunch.
  • DanskatDanskat Member Posts: 6
    I never realized there was such a vast interest in Legos, I think I will learn a lot here. My 9 year old son just started loving Legos and said that's all he wants for Christmas. He has a few Ninjago sets and is quite creative in making other things with them, he even made a mini Lego DS. I was at Walmart on BF and saw these. I didn't know if it was a good price....i know, I'm such a newbie...so I passed on them. Now I could just kick myself. I have since checked all 4 area WM and no luck. I get the mom fail award, lol. Can anyone suggest another good value basic set. Santa is getting him the big Lego head shape sorter so he needs Legos to sort. Or, if anyone knows of any WM near Bakersfield, CA that may still have the 5512 in stock I'd love to know. I called WM online and they didn't even have them on their website anymore. Thanks fellow brick builders.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ You could get him a Basic set, but you might want to consider more detailed sets from other lineups, like City, that match his interests. Or even the Creator line, which sticks to the fundamentals in the spirit of Basic but with a lot more details. In terms of value, pay attention to price per piece. And this time of year there are lots of sales around, so it really is a matter of paying attention if you want a good deal.
    Thanks for the tips brickmatic. I appreciate it.
    @Danskat - the item description is still available on the website. The bad thing is the "check store inventory" feature has been disabled for this item, so it's hard to look for store inventory.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17133548

(I've had the link saved as a favorite since before the Black Friday sale. It is not searchable anymore.)

I'd continue checking stores if I were you. I saw some of the Duplo sets in stores last week. I haven't seen the LEGO box for a few weeks, but I wouldn't be surprised if some pop up, especially before this weekend.

Brent
    Thanks BT, I also saved the link from the BF posts. I had to give the WM online associate the info because she could not find the page through a search either. I will keep checking back but my closest stores are a 35 minute drive so I don't get there often. I did ask at one of them and she said she just got them in that morning and they were in the garden center because she had no room for them. I was so, so excited but she came back and said they were all the Duplo sets. Then when I checked another store at the service desk she said if they had any it would only be returns but I knew this wasn't the case since the other store had just received the Duplos. So, I will continue my search and keep kicking myself for not getting it when I could, or as my husband likes to keep reminding me..ya snooze, ya lose, lol. Oh, and I call the stores but they are never able to connect me to the toy dept. Nobody picks up the phones there at any of the 4 stores. Gotta love WM, lol.
    @Danskat - do you have the UPC? You can ask for the Service Desk and they can look up the inventory.

Here's the 5512 UPC: 67341916384

Brent
    I have one for you, pm me.
    They can also be purchased on Amazon, the price is higher to be sure, but the value for the number of bricks is still good.