Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

21110 Research Institute

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,322
    @Crowkillers‌ in the UK gravy refers to sauce made from the juices from roasted meats, rather than generally to sauces. So beef gravy and chocolate chip cookies is about what someone in the UK would picture when someone says Gravy and Biscuits.
    Incidentally I thoroughly enjoyed it when I had it.
    tamamahmricecake
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,866
    graphite said:

^^^ I don't know how many but I know there is that one beautiful blonde. Something she makes needs a designer video again soon.

I think you're thinking of Astrid Graabaek. She and Fenella Holden, two designers who have worked primarily on LEGO Creator and LEGO Friends, spoke at BrickFair Virginia 2012 about the process of designing the LEGO Friends sets and figures. It was incredibly informative.

There are a lot of female LEGO designers on the LEGO Friends design team (not surprising — I'm sure a lot of the LEGO Group's best female designers were among the first to become involved in its development). Another is Rosario Costa — there's an interview with her here where she talks about her design background. Megan Rothrock, who wrote The LEGO Adventure Book, is a former LEGO set designer.

Outside of the product design category, there are a lot of women involved in coming up with and promoting LEGO themes. Lena Dixen was BIONICLE's franchise manager, for instance. And Leah Weston Kaae is one of the LEGO Group's major web developers. Ewa Delgado is an art director for LEGO Friends and a concept developer for other themes (I think I remember also reading that she was involved with other themes like Exo-Force and Atlantis, but I can't remember where specifically I read that and I may be confusing her for somebody else whose name slips my mind). Outside of the LEGO Group, Anne Hofmann works for WilFilm as one of the production designers for the LEGO Ninjago cartoon.

However, I think men are probably the majority of the LEGO Group's design staff, which makes some sense since the LEGO Group often seeks out people who are experienced and proficient in working with LEGO bricks, and the adult LEGO fan community is very much male-dominated. Ever since LEGO Friends became wildly successful I have had hopes that this trend will start to change as a result, but it's a bit worrying that some segments of the AFOL community are so hostile towards LEGO Friends or girl-oriented themes in general, since that could discourage some fans of those themes from becoming involved in the wider fan community. Then again, the AFOL community was also fairly hostile towards BIONICLE in the early days, and nowadays fans of BIONICLE and similar themes have an ever-increasing presence in the AFOL community.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited August 2014
    You can say that again...
  • oceanangeloceanangel Member Posts: 149
    @legomatt‌ i think sometimes the tone fails online and even via text but more importantly did you say biscuits???
  • oceanangeloceanangel Member Posts: 149
    Biscuits here in the uk has meant erm, biscuits which are sweet little cookie like things, but with more varities than cookies and none woukd work with gravey
  • LegoManiaccLegoManiacc Member Posts: 116

Biscuits here in the uk has meant erm, biscuits which are sweet little cookie like things, but with more varities than cookies and none woukd work with gravey

I love it when someone says "None" and "never" "...ever". When you eventually have a biscuit (or the right cookies) with the perfect gravy you'll learn that whatever you might have thought prior will be proved invalid.
    vwong19legomattricecake
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    US here...

Let me get this straight
    Biscuits = cookies (UK), scones (US)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

For breakfast, I love having biscuits (US) & gravy (savory) or honey or jam.

My favorite biscuit (cookie) is Tim Tam, but they are hard to find in the US, imported from Australia.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    So basically Americans can't pull off the awesome British accent required for scones (sco-nnes) so called them biscuits instead.

Hehe.
    They aren't exactly the same as scones though, they aren't as dense.
    pharmjod
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    ^ depends who makes them. ;)
    pharmjod
    Very true.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    American scones and English scones are the same aren't they? I think a US biscuit is more like a UK dumpling.
    ^that's a good comparison, but I'd say a dumpling has less of a crust.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,310
    So basically Brits don't seem to have an equivalent for US biscuits. I tried to look up a KFC menu and couldn't find biscuits, they don't seem to sell them there.
    No they don't, KFC over here is very different. My American friends were very disappointed that you couldn't get mashed potatoes with a KFC over here.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,345
    UK KFC do a nice gravy
    Shib
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,962
    I did know biscuits were different, but I did not know there really are not american biscuits there.

When I think of a scone, I think of this fairly hard, and very dry thing.
    Biscuits I almost consider fluffy in the inside, but a light golden crust on the outside.

What flavor is the gravy..?

It really is more along the lines of a white sauce/bechamel sauce. Some will add sausage drippings, sausage and pepper in it.

The entire conconction of biscuits and gravy is not healthy, but tasty.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,911
    To throw a different wrench into the mix, you should try to find beaten biscuits or "beat" biscuits. Those are also found in the US but mostly only in rural communities. Denser than a regular biscuit, more like a scone, but nothing like a scone beyond the density.
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    Shib said:

I have some American friends who love here in the UK and once when we were staying with them they offered us biscuits and gravy for breakfast, my girlfriend looked really confused but I was vaguely aware what biscuits mean to an American.
    For those in the UK, they are somewhere between a scone and a break roll.
    For those in the US, biscuits to us are cookies...imagine cookies and gravy!

Go to any american fair, and I guarantee you can find cookies and gravy. It would somehow be deep fried too... 'Murica!

pharmjodricecake
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 867
    At a local LEGO store today. Employee told me they are getting more of both ideas sets this week.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited August 2014
    Hmm... hmm... yes... hmm... ahah... yes... *carefully considers the conversation*

See? This is where NATO, the UN, and the US have been getting it all wrong... instead of debating sanctions, wrestling with conflicted national interests versus humanitarian intervention, they should just send a consignment of biscuits to Gaza, Syria, Libya, Iraq, Ukraine, and Egypt. World peace achieved through the power of distraction, 'biscuits and boiled sweets anyone'? :oP

Obama: Boiled Sweets?!
    Cameron: Ah, what you might call 'candy'.
    Putin: Vot iz all tyuk of kyndi sveets?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,714
    There are many savory
    tamamahm said:

CCC, I get your argument, but I would disagree. Lego put out a fire truck because they were targeting their primary consumer... Boys. They were specifically creating and supplying an item for their target audience, boys. My son like some of their Friends jungle sets. That does not mean that they were targeting and catering to kids that like jungle animals and adventure, as opposed to targeting and catering to girls. Mindstorms. Look at the items they chose to create directions for... Creature predominantly historically boy-oriented, such as snake, scorpion, Dino, vehicles. They were not targeting kids that like snakes.they are not targeting kids that like engineering. They are targeting boys that like engineering with that set. If the creations in Lego Mindstorms were kitten, monkey, unicorn, gymnast, ice cream truck then I would be saying they are targeting and catering to girls that like engineering and not simply to all kids that like unicorns or all kids that like engineering. Such a set may appeal to some boys, but it does not mean boys are being catered to. Boys may be fans of Lego, but again, that does not mean that set is catering to them.

I think neither. It is being marketed towards those that enjoy engineering type hobbies. Now many more of those will be boys rather than girls, as engineering ends to be a more male hobby and career. There is nothing to say that girls cannot play with that type of set, and girls that are engineering minded and likely to go into engineering later on will more likely be interested in that set than a boy that doesn't like engineering.

I will also disagree. My kids are at a school that focuses on engineering, and I will say that many girls interested in engineering would have no desire for such a set. Agreed, some will be interested in the set. Now, I could argue that girls interested in engineering would have more desire for the set than girls not interested in engineering. I would not state more girls interested in engineering would desire this set over boys not interested in engineering. Big red truck. I think many boys would like, and that becomes the larger selling factor than whether it is technic or not.
    Of course, they created a big red truck. They did not create a technic kitten. They did not create a technic swing or carousel. They did not create a technic horse or unicorn. They went with an item that would appeal most to their target audience of boys. They catered the set towards boys. The set was not created simply to cater to the generic kid that likes engineering. Catering towards boys does not mean there are not some girls that would like the set.

I guess we will always disagree. I don't think fire engines are targeted at boys. I think they are targeted at children that like fire engines. Just because more boys than girls like fire engines, it doesn't mean that girls that also like fire engines are not being targeted too. The inclusion of female firefighters in the set goes to support this too. Why else include a female minifigure in a boys only playset?

As to technic, who would a technic kitten or unicorn really be aimed at. If a girl is interested in mechanical engineering, then for the most part I think they are covered. Trucks, cranes, etc are all useful applications of mechanical engineering that girls can be interested in. How would they market a technic unicorn? It would appeal to a subset of children that like mechanical toys, but don't like vehicles or any of the more practical mechanical applications (as those are already well catered for). I reckon that number is fairly small. Now what could they do to make it more widely appealing? Maybe girlie it up even more, make it a pink unicorn, or a pastel rainbow unicorn? If they did that, they would be accused of sexism. The could go as far as making pink technic kits. They would be hit with loads more accusations of sexism for taking a boys toy and making it girlie, and that girls should be allowed to play with the boys version and not have to have their own version for girls only.

It's something I still don't understand. There are often statements made that "girls should be allowed to play with boys toys". I think anyone saying that is part of the problem. Girls can play with boys toys, and anyone saying they should be allowed to play with them is implicitly implying that they currently cannot play with them.

How do you make a boys toys more accessible to girls? If you change it to make it appeal to girls, it is no longer necessarily a boys toy. You could take a fire engine and replace all the minifigs with female ones, keeping everything else the same. That is giving girls the message that they can do a "man's" job, a positive message. But it won't sell very well as the majority of girls are not interested in it. You can make small adjustments to a boys toy, such as make a shop instead of a police station. That might attract a few girls because of the subject and put off a few boys because of the lack of action. But it doesn't change much, most girls (and their parents) will still see it as primary colours lego and that it is a boys toy. Or you can find out what girls really want - more pastel colours, more detailed figures, more story based play. And give it to them. Completely adapt the boys toy to make it appeal to many girls, not just a few girls. And there you have Friends. The sexist girly Friends. The well selling Friends.

I don't think lego will ever win the argument about sexism and gender balance. They have taken what was seen as a boys toy, modified it to what a majority of what girls want and they get criticized. They could have done the same sets as in Friends, but kept the primary colours of the boys toy, kept the minifig design but gone for mainly female figures. I reckon sales would have been lower than Friends, as it just wouldn't appeal to as many girls. I also reckon it would have still been criticized due to the subject matter. They've made a shopping mall, why have they made a shopping mall and put females in it. Girls should be allowed to play with the boys toys, not have shopping malls. By giving the majority of girls what they want, the more feminist side will always say they are making things too girly and that the girls should be allowed to play with the boys range. Which of course they can, but the majority don't want to.

Friends also contains quite a few vehicles, and I believe they all sell well. Sets like sports car, beach buggy, cruiser, camper van, plane, convertable. For all of those the vehicle is the primary part of the set, and they still sell - I've purposely left out the horse trailer, as that is more a prop in a horse focused set. So girls in general do like vehicles, if you make them in pastels and mroe girlie than the boys cars. So it is not necessarily the car/vehicle that is the problem, it is the colour. Although it is of course sexist to some to make a car in girly colours, even though that is what (the majority of) girls want.

It always seems a strange argument that girls should be allowed to play with boys toys, but the boys toys must be changed to make them appeal to girls. They don't want to play with the boys toy, but it must be changed to make it more accessible to girls. As soon as that is done (and it has to be done to appeal to the majority of girls, not just the more tom-boyish girls, to make it viable), it is not a boys toy any more it is a girls toy, and people will complain.
    Bumblepantsdougts1265Schwallex
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    ^........server crashes from word overload.
    jasonord69atamamahmexciter1
  • PoMoPinkPoMoPink UKMember Posts: 275
    I'd buy a Technic unicorn please....
    Bumblepantsbluemodern
  • bricktuarybricktuary EuropeMember Posts: 476
    Isn't it cobbler (the biscuit scone thing on top of a stew) that is the UK equivalent of biscuit as in "and gravy".
  • kyrotekkyrotek Southampton, UKMember Posts: 212
    Doesn't all this come down to inferrring rather than implying? Opinion, if you'd prefer?

It depends on how you see the object of your desire or hatred. Lego is not gender specific to me but I can see how it would be construed as such by someone else (not easy for me to do). Friends look very like it is aimed a gender and stands apart because of that.

Is that really such a problem in our Pan-Sexual society of the future?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue :0
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    Pitfall69 said:

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue :0
    Shirley you must be kidding.
    Pitfall69
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited August 2014
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley
    Pitfall69
    Seriously, it has been an awful day so far. I went to the store to buy batteries and when I got home the container said that they weren't included. I also bought some powdered water, but I have no idea what to add. @CCC 's post pushed me over the edge; not because of the content, but because of all those words.
    dougtstamamahm
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,962
    LOL!! I thought I was the only one (and maybe Aanchir) that wrote volumes. ;-)
    Pitfall, ^ that was hilarious!
    I will try to respond later CCC, but yes, I think there will always be some elements where we disagree.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734

Isn't it cobbler (the biscuit scone thing on top of a stew) that is the UK equivalent of biscuit as in "and gravy".

It sounds like a cobbler in the UK has a topping of scones, whereas a cobbler in the US usually has a topping somewhere between a biscuit and pie crust. So I don't think a cobbler in the UK has a topping similar to US biscuits.

Is there really nothing in the UK similar to a US biscuit? Topped with a jam, they're so good I can't believe they've not been introduced. Then again, I don't know the UK definition of "jam", so maybe that doesn't sound so appetizing.
  • Captain_EyebrowCaptain_Eyebrow Test Valley, somewhere between Brickset Towers and Narnia . . . .Member Posts: 145
    Something like a cheese scone would be the equivalent of US biscuit in the UK. I made some earlier on in the summer when I smoked some ribs, it was awesome (everything is)!
  • logicstormlogicstorm UKMember Posts: 97
    Just grabbed the last Research Institute from the Lego Store in Leeds, 2 minutes later and I would have missed it! Asked if they would get more and was told it was a limited run and there probably won't be anymore.
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    They were available yesterday in the Metro Centre (near Newcastle).

I have no view on the set's longevity, or lack thereof.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,711
    edited August 2014

Just grabbed the last Research Institute from the Lego Store in Leeds, 2 minutes later and I would have missed it! Asked if they would get more and was told it was a limited run and there probably won't be anymore.

I take anything a LEGO Store employee says with a BIG grain of salt. When it shows as 'retired' on the site, that is when Ill believe it is truly gone.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Man, I am going to feel like an idiot if I don't get one of these. I looked at it several times, and thought "Cool, I will get a couple later this year." When my seven year old saw that lego.com listed them as "sold out" yesterday, she cried.
    ^You should just make your own.
    Pitfall69 said:

Yeah, thought about that as well. it will likely cost about the same in parts, maybe a bit more than retail but likely a lot less than resellers are charging on eBay.

Pitfall69 said:

Yeah, thought about that as well. it will likely cost about the same in parts, maybe a bit more than retail but likely a lot less than resellers are charging on eBay.
    This is assuming there aren't any exclusive Minifigures, but from what I have heard, they aren't exclusive to the set.

• david325david325 Member Posts: 138

I take anything a LEGO Store employee says with a BIG grain of salt. When it shows as 'retired' on the site, that is when Ill believe it is truly gone.
    Oh no! The Winter Village Market is listed as "Retired" :(
    edited August 2014
    david325 said:

Oh no! The Winter Village Market is listed as "Retired" :(
    Where is this? It appears as available in the US still. Also I think this is the wrong thread for reporting discontinued sets.
  • david325david325 Member Posts: 138
    I agree, wrong thread, but just vaguely relevant. Shop at home UK.
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 815
    binaryeye said:

It sounds like a cobbler in the UK has a topping of scones, whereas a cobbler in the US usually has a topping somewhere between a biscuit and pie crust. So I don't think a cobbler in the UK has a topping similar to US biscuits.

Is there really nothing in the UK similar to a US biscuit? Topped with a jam, they're so good I can't believe they've not been introduced. Then again, I don't know the UK definition of "jam", so maybe that doesn't sound so appetizing.
    I asked my Operations Director today who's from the US but has been here 4 years and he said he hasn't found anything in the UK that's like a US biscuit. And believe me, he likes his food, he's greedy!

• NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    Pitfall69 said:

That is probably what we will do. I don't think there is much attachment to the minifigs, but the astronomy blackboard looks good.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Dad said:

binaryeye said:

I asked my Operations Director today who's from the US but has been here 4 years and he said he hasn't found anything in the UK that's like a US biscuit. And believe me, he likes his food, he's greedy!

No doubt he has discovered the beauty that is a Yorkshire Pudding though. A more than adequate replacement.

Shib
    edited August 2014
    Natebw said:

Pitfall69 said:

That is probably what we will do. I don't think there is much attachment to the minifigs, but the astronomy blackboard looks good.
    That is actually a printed part. I'm guessing it might be $3-$4 on Bricklink at some point. You can see if someone can scan the part for you and make your own sticker as well :)

I'm still thinking there will be more available soon enough.

Natebw
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,898
    Has anyone received an email from Lego (like Exo) stating that they are replenishing their stock of the RI?
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    I've received a mail stating that due to more orders than sets my order got cancelled! To me it looks like it's gone for good (already)!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Pitfall69 said:

This is assuming there aren't any exclusive Minifigures, but from what I have heard, they aren't exclusive to the set.

The torso of the chemist is unique to the set.

According to the Brickset inventory, these are the other parts unique to the set:
    (1x) black 4x4 plate with 4 studs (printed)
    (1x) medium stone gray 3L rod
    (1x) white Chima spider leg
    (2x) white gas nozzle
    (6x) white 1x1 plate with clip

The last piece is an entirely new part and isn't available in any other set (though it's very similar to this).