Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2014

Comments

• BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @Russell‌844 I think you'll be overpaying by about 25% at that price. Long term prices should fall around $800 for the Lot, with a good current price of $1,000 - $1,200 at the moment. If you can be patient, you can shave a couple hundred off.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,430
    @Russell844‌ - I wouldn't. @margot‌ gave a pretty good breakdown. Prices right now are as follows:
    Batmobile- $225
    Rocket Warbird- $150
    Ghost- $95
    Batman-- $170
    Collector- $115
    Bard- $70
    Unikitty- $95

Totaling $920. So $1,500 is a vast, vast overpay.

Those are all average prices. For what's it is worth, I have been able to get everything, and for even less than those prices listed above.

If you're buying everything from one seller, they should be giving you a better bulk price. Not the other way around.
    margotyys4u
  • veign06veign06 USAMember Posts: 136
    Yeah, not to mention that if you go to resell on ebay, youll lose about !5-20% just in fees/shipping. $1500 is definitely overpriced, especially if its a complete lot...they should be giving a discount like samiam said, not charging you even more than you can get them individually.
  • kempo81kempo81 Wiltshire, UKMember Posts: 961
    @samiam391‌ Recent sold items on eBay shows not one Batman under $200?? And a lot some distance over $200!
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,310
    This is why I came to the people who know. :) I originally offered him $1200 but this is what he came back with. I will wait. I had someone offer me $95 for Unikitty. I think I'll start there.
  • margotmargot Member Posts: 2,308
    edited August 2014
    kempo81 said:

@samiam391‌ Recent sold items on eBay shows not one Batman under $200?? And a lot some distance over $200!

There's one for BIN listed for $175 right now.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMIC-CON-exclusive-DC-Superheroes-BATMAN-of-ZUR-EN-ARRH-minifig-SDCC-2014-/321482184797?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4ad9d4d85d
    edited August 2014
    kempo81 said:

Lol theres like 3-4 on ebay now unsold for under $200. On another note, ive noticed some custom print The Collector and ZUR-EN-ARRH Batman have started to surface on ebay now too.
    Thanks @Margot for kindly showing me I hadn't been looking properly! - guess it must be the way the eBay app orders sold items as the first 20+ were at $200 or more.

And @veign06 well thanks, for, errr, laughing...
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959

I have an opportunity via eBay to purchase all 3 sets and all 4 minifigs from the same guy for $1500 with free shipping. My plan would be to keep what I want and sell or maybe trade off what I don't want. Is this a good idea? Anyone want to go in on it with me?

I was watching this before I got what I was after...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SDCC-2014-LEGO-EXCLUSIVES-3-BOX-SETS-ALL-4-MINI-FIGURES-7-Exclusives-total-/221512570903?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item33932d9817
    kempo81 said:

Thanks @Margot for kindly showing me I hadn't been looking properly! - guess it must be the way the eBay app orders sold items as the first 20+ were at $200 or more.

@kempo81‌ - eBay completed auctions don't register new items until about 24 hours after they were sold. So it's no surprise you don't see any under $200. We just hit the $175 threshold about 16 hours ago.
    Thanks for the heads up @samiam391‌ :o)
    kempo81 said:

Haha, sorry...I just searched for ZUR-EN-ARRH lego and there were like 3-4 under 200 and another 3-4 at exactly or around 200, some that also had best offer. But yeah, what he said, the sold auctions have about a day delay. Hopefully prices keep going down.
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
    That's definitely OVER priced, and I would gladly sell you mine for that price, and buy them back for cheaper on eBay. :)

Kidding, yea, glad you stopped by to check, b/c that's a bit too much. Be patient. ;)
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984
    I definitely agree with the people who say they wouldn't buy a minifigure for more than $20. There are certain times I'd make an exception, like if I'm buying some minifigure I like more as a novelty, display piece, or souvenir than as a toy (for instance, certain custom minifigures that are really well-designed). But as I said before, I like to play with my minifigures, and even if I could afford to spend a high price on a minifigure, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable playing with it afterwards. Some of my regular minifigures have gotten into pretty bad shape over the years, and I wouldn't want that to happen to something rare and valuable.

But as other people have said, I respect the LEGO Group's right to make these and fans' rights to buy and sell them. It's always great when something desirable is available to everyone, but the existence of things that aren't shoudn't be an offensive notion. And we shouldn't assume that people buying or selling these figs aren't true fans. I will be a bit sad if I never get a Cutesykitty or Cheerykitty, but it's not anybody's fault in particular if I don't. Frankly, I think it's cool that these versions of the character exist in physical form, even if I don't get to own them.
    I was very surprised to find that my Batman had arrived today, so without further ado the last of the quick overviews.

Batman of Zur-En-Arrh:

1) Side of face 1 and front printing
    2) Side of face 2 and front printing
    3) Back w/ Cape
    4) Back Printing with cape off
    5) Batman on Inside of Insert
    6) Batman, Collector, and Bard on Inside of Insert

The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh is really well done, and has to be favorite right above The Collector. The clashing of vibrant colors on the front make this figure not only fun, but still reminiscent of the ferocity of Batman. The printing is well done on the front, and is typical of the standard DC Batman figure released in sets today. The difference, as already mentioned, is the colors as well as a few other minor details. The bat symbol is slightly different with sharper edges. One of the best parts is the two faces, with one as clean shaven with smile, and the other as stubble ridden with an angry sort of grimace, similar to that of Bard the Bowmans. The most disappointing aspect is the cape, which is a standard cape colored in purple as opposed to the jagged cape we've come to expect with our Batman figures. I'm no expert in comics, so perhaps this is the way that the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh came, with a standard, rounded cape. The back printing is excellent. When I took off the cape I wasn't actually expecting much, but just like the Collector there is an expert level of detail applied to even the places we typically don't see. The bat is standard, but a great touch of detail. Once again, the insert is a larger image of the figure and a neat touch by LEGO that I hope to see carried over to next years figures. It's very fun to place the figure on its insert.
    I also received the 3 mini sets today. I'm not going to go into much detail on these. Just like the Unikitty I'm to much of a wimp to open up the seals, but I did make a few observations just looking at the boxes that I think are worthwhile to pass on.

Rocket Raccoon's Warbird, Ghost Ship, Batmobile:

The boxes are very glossy and the art on the front of the boxes is great. There are 6 sides to the box and each one is different except for the sides where they show the same simple image. The SDCC icon in the top left is actually carried over the top of the box to the back side. A picture of the figures included in each of the sets is on the back, along with a little congratulatory statement that you have one of a limited number of that set. The most interesting observation I made was that the limited edition number is actually printed on a sticker. The sticker wraps halfway around the box, with the numbered end on the front, wrapping around the bottom, and then barely reaching over to the back where the number is once again displayed (as you can see in the pictures). I thought that this might cause some problems with peeling, but it looks like the sticker is really applied well and shouldn't fall off. Hopefully it won't, as this appears to be the only way to tell your edition number. On the bottom there is also a small circle seal, like last year. I know a lot of people complained that these seals didn't hold well last year, so the addition of the yellow stripe sticker (with the number printed on it) might have been LEGO's solution. Personally, I'd rather have the number printed directly on the box. Hopefully, they'll do that next year :o)
    edited August 2014
    ^Zur-en-Aarh source material is still a scalloped cape like other Batmen, but with a slight fraying effect like the Collector's. So this rendition of his cape is quite poor in terms of accuracy actually.

However, he does come with a Bat-radia in the back pocket as a nod, not to mention the obvious wooden bat. So bonus points on that for sure!
    Finally, here's the complete SDCC 2014 Collection. Minifigures only, and then Minifigures and sets together.

Overall, I think LEGO did an excellent job with everything for SDCC. Most importantly they increased the number of minifigures released to help kill most of the crazy aftermarket prices on eBay. I found all of my items at very reasonable prices and thought there was a very fair chance for everyone to do so as long as they remained patient and put a little time and effort in. I also thought the selection was great. I do hope they go back to 4 Super Hero minifigures as opposed to an odd mix, but that's just a personal request that might not be shared by many. I'm sure a lot of people found the variety refreshing. Hopefully, LEGO does a better job managing the sale of the mini sets better next year, and either keeps the number of minifigures released the same or increases them to 2,000. Another fun SDCC :o)

I have even more photos available on my flickr stream for those who want even more pictures:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    BrickDancerhleonffuAdeelZubairlegomattGothamConstructionCo

However, he does come with a Bat-radia in the back pocket as a nod, not to mention the obvious wooden bat. So bonus points on that for sure!

The Bat-radia in the back pocket was personally one of my favorite added details of all the SDCC figures. An excellent touch by LEGO. Agree with you on the cape, compared to the level of detail they put into The Collector's cape they really dropped the ball on Batmans.
    ^Agreed on every point. Lego was very merciful this year, praise the brick. May the SH Quartet be revived for 2015, Age of Ultron. (Unless we see SW: VII split the offerings again).
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    @samiam391 You spend so much trying to buy these figures and sets after comic con you should just spend that money on a ticket and go next year :)
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    @samiam391‌ my warbird and batmobile turned. So far im resisting the urge to open
    yys4u said:

@samiam391 You spend so much trying to buy these figures and sets after comic con you should just spend that money on a ticket and go next year :)

Seriously...experience the stupid lines and hunt in person! :) That's how I do it! LOL

I've been searching high and low, no luck on #150 yet. that's out of 1000, so I know it's a long shot...like a 0.1% chance. haha
    edited August 2014

This is why I came to the people who know. :) I originally offered him $1200 but this is what he came back with. I will wait. I had someone offer me $95 for Unikitty. I think I'll start there.

Was just checking for a warbird and there are now multiple full sets (the 3 exclusive sets + 4 minifigs) on ebay for $1200 and some with best offers willing to take less so they are still going down, just FYI.

This one is 1300 obo and includes the two from last year http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-2014-2013-LEGO-EXCLUSIVES-5-BOX-SETS-ALL-4-MINI-FIGUREs-Batman-9-total-/301269265201?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item46250c2b31
    I had one guy only willing to go down by $50. :(
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 855
    Just open them Sam. Totally worth it
    Shib
    ^^ I bit. I made an offer and was accepted. Guess I am impatient. :D
    @Russell844‌ - If you don't mind me asking, what was the damage? It may have been cheaper to buy them separately, although i can't blame you for wanting to go ahead and just grab them all at once. Congrats either way on getting the full set :o)
    $1201. It breaks down to $133 for each item, which I am ok with. ;)
    looking at it that way, it's not too bad since the sets offset the figs. :)

$1201. It breaks down to $133 for each item, which I am ok with. ;)

On the one I posted? If so, at least you got two of the sets from last year too.
    Hmm someone on ebay posted a pic of an opened and built rocket warbird but rockets pants are not printed like the pictures on the box and such

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Rocket-Racoons-Warbird-SDCC-2014-READ-DESCRIPTION-/331282423732?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item4d21f89fb4

It was only $130 and I nearly bought it but not sure if this is how its supposed to be? looks like the price was increased anyways tho.
    Yup the one you posted.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    Was in the lego store in manchester today and a staff member was on the phone with someone asking if they had any rocket warbirds and batmobiles in stock. He told them the batmobile was being released on the 18th august and that he was confused by the rocket warbird but there was a set in stock with rocket raccoon. The conversation went on for ages and I did think of telling him about the SDCC exclusives but figured he would just get more confused. Anyway, come the 18th August someone's going to be disappointed!
    margot
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,356
    @veign06 - Rocket should have printed legs, which even feature side printing, a first I believe other than on LEGO Club Max Minifigures!
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,984

@veign06 - Rocket should have printed legs, which even feature side printing, a first I believe other than on LEGO Club Max Minifigures!

As far as I have been able to tell from pictures, they are not printed at all but rather co-injected like some of the Simpsons minifigure legs (Bart, Lisa, etc). It's pretty amazing!
    @cheshirecat I can only hope that murmur comes true. But a regular release seems so unlikely. I'm patiently on the sidelines waiting for the pricing to hit bottom on the SDCC's, so another week won't kill me.
    Hmm, maybe he switched them out with a matching color pair from a Hobbit minifig or something then? It had a close up pic but they were not printed.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274

Was in the lego store in manchester today and a staff member was on the phone with someone asking if they had any rocket warbirds and batmobiles in stock. He told them the batmobile was being released on the 18th august and that he was confused by the rocket warbird but there was a set in stock with rocket raccoon. The conversation went on for ages and I did think of telling him about the SDCC exclusives but figured he would just get more confused. Anyway, come the 18th August someone's going to be disappointed!

It would really make sense for LEGO to provide stores with information about things that are out like the SDCC stuff to help the stores provide information about certain things. Doesn't matter if the stores or Discovery centers or Legoland are operated differently it is all in LEGO's responsibility to provide proper information. People probably get turned off to store employees not having correct or accurate information. Every time I'm in a store I hear someone ask something that they don't know anything about that is common knowledge if you are a *FOL.

Yesterday I heard an employee mentioning that he wasn't sure about Legoland but didn't think they were operated by LEGO and that maybe just the Florida one was. Availability of sets like the SDCC stuff would probably be good for them to get in a newsletter or something so they know that they arent available to the general public.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,567

My guess is the employee misunderstood and thought the caller was asking about the Tumbler. Yeah Im guessing there is going to be one steamed person out there, though I wish LEGo would just do a non SDCC classic batmobile. The one for SDCC looked junior-ized to begin with.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,274
    ^ I don't think the employee thinking it was the tumbler would be "misunderstanding" if the employee didn't know about the SDCC warbird set. The employee just connected "batman" to the "tumbler" because those were the extend of their knowledge. It was just not knowing and the employee did the best they could without the knowledge of other sets. But they could be so much better informed. Of course, the average person could learn to type a few words into google as well so...
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    ^ exactly he just had no idea and my thought was exactly the same - that they really should have at least some knowledge of these exclusive sets, surely there aren't that many a year.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,404

Loads of CMF have side printing on the legs.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,356
    @CCC - Is that not just shoe or sandal printing? Rocket has a holster design I believe which is unusually complicated.
    If not counting the GB, TLM and Simpsons, then there are 32 figs out of the 172 total with some sort of side leg printing/molding. Predominantly in sports for those figs needing to depict a skirt or shorts.

S1 - Cheerleader
    S2 - Surfer, Weight Lifter, Pharaoh, Spartan, Explorer
    S3 - Tennis player, Mummy
    S4 - Soccer player, Ice Skater
    S5 - Boxer, Cave girl, Gladiator, Zoo Keeper
    S6 - Roman, Highlander
    S7 - Rocker girl, Tennis Player, Aztec
    S8 - Conquistador, Cowgirl, Bavarian Boy, Cheerleader, Shakespeare, Skier
    S9 - Roman Emperor
    S10 - Roman Commander, Warrior Woman,
    S11 - Barbarian, Pretzel Girl, Tiki Warrior, Diner Waitress
    Officially made my last purchase today for SDCC 2014. Is it 2015 yet?

Interesting about the opened Warbird above. The back of my box clearly shows that Rocket Raccoon has some dark print on the "feet". Perhaps the detail was added on the box, but not the actual figure?

Considering that seller also has the box I don't really doubt that figure's authenticity.

Brickshow review clearly shows printed legs.

Or I guess we could just read the sellers short description:
    "Rocket has on printed legs. This box set came with regular dark red legs instead of the ones on the back of the box".

I could see LEGO making that kind of a mistake. Who knows though.
    edited August 2014
    samiam391 said:

Or I guess we could just read the sellers short description:
    "Rocket has on printed legs. This box set came with regular dark red legs instead of the ones on the back of the box".

I could see LEGO making that kind of a mistake. Who knows though.

Yeah, thats why I asked cause he says his came with unprinted legs but clearly other people have the proper printed legs, weird. That video shows the print on the side of the legs too. Man I want him since the other 3 characters have on this suit in the regular sets but that has me even more weary lol.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656

Has Lego ever mass produced numbered sets? Not to my knowledge. One could argue the #41999 because of the unique license plate, but there were only limited quantities made. I do not count the UCS Falcon as it was only a certificate in the box.

I cannot see them releasing Rockets Warbrid or the Batmobile as the boxes were numbered. Now, that does not mean that they will not change up the boxes and re-release them, but that takes out the whole "exclusive" pitch from Lego.

I highly doubt that you will see those two sets in Lego stores at any given time.