Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

The Brickset Builders Guild - Neo-Classic Space MOC Contest

Comments

• SyberionSyberion Member Posts: 1
    Introducing the new Starfire II
    125 Parts

The successor of Starfire I (Set 6820-1)
    34 Parts
    vitreolumslakcerintcarlqrancorbaitchuckp
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    My latest last entry: UCS Landspeeder. Please end this contest before I reach 10 entries and make a fool of myself. Please.

Classic Space UCS Landspeeder

legomattGothamConstructionCoAdzbadboycarlqrancorbaitKatzplayfuldrdavewatford
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    edited July 2014
    If anyone's stuck for Classic Space names for their ships, then try this:
    http://guide.lugnet.com/fun/namegen/
    Untick everything except "Space" and it will generate a list of generic names which all sound like they could have been real sets. :-)

I think it has a 'vocabulary' of past set names which it mashes up, but it kinda makes fun of the way Lego names it's sets - sometimes it feels as if Lego just mixes a noun and an adjective from a list of exciting nouns and adjectives to get their set names.
    legomattGothamConstructionCoslakcerintcarlqAdzbadboycaperberry
    edited July 2014
    Tri-Wheeled Transmitting Raider. Now I just have to build this. Or maybe Tri-Wheeled Ewok Stinger.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,384
    I remember that from back in the day. It comes up with some crackers, doesn't it :-)
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    edited July 2014
    ^^^ That link is definitely much more fun than it should be, :oP lol
    I had to drag myself away from it quickly, could feel I was about to lose hours of my life, sucked into a black hole of random name generation... (But i'll be back, so many ideas spring from it).

It could also make for the basis of another competition. Something like: Each participant selects 2 or 3 categories, the competition moderator then generates the names on their behalf and presents the full list of results, the participant must then create a moc based on any one of the names generated for them.
    vitreolumLegoKipcarlqmsandersJoseph
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,086

Untick everything except "Space" and it will generate a list of generic names which all sound like they could have been real sets. :-)

I think it has a 'vocabulary' of past set names which it mashes up, but it kinda makes fun of the way Lego names it's sets - sometimes it feels as if Lego just mixes a noun and an adjective from a list of exciting nouns and adjectives to get their set names.

That is an amazing link. Could be fun for future contests, whoever sets the contest generates a name for everyone to build. :-) you get some really fun ones when you put really random mix of themes.
    GothamConstructionCo
  • ProtProt Member Posts: 18
    Wow muggle, that´s a very nice mix of old and new pieces! love the old tr. yellow windshield, but most of all the cargo area with doors ´the old fashioned way´!
    Muggle
  • legoalbertlegoalbert Member Posts: 1
    Spy Trak Two

Sadly I didn't have any SP1 minifigures, I hope these two guys still qualify.
    AdzbadboyvitreolumGothamConstructionCorancorbaitcarlqLego_Starcaperberry
  • RyanardoDaVinciRyanardoDaVinci Member Posts: 4
    Ok, let's see if I can get it right this time.

My second entry, the Guardian Mech:

AdzbadboyvitreolumGothamConstructionCorancorbaitcarlqricecakePerijoveJoseph
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850

Nice find!

So should I call my exo-suit dropship the Sting-ray cloud curse?

:oP
  • DarthWalleDarthWalle Member Posts: 10
    Micro-Beta II:
    This is my first entry, a micro-scale version of a ship from one of my favorite sets from my youth, 1980's Beta I Command Base: http://brickset.com/sets/6970-1/Beta-I-Command-Base. Lots of fantastic entries so far! I appreciate the motivation to create this set - I'd been thinking of something like this, but hadn't gotten around to it until I saw the post about the contest. :-)
    vitreolumProt
  • kree123kree123 Member Posts: 3
    My first entry: Moon Hopper V 2.0

Here is a nice shot of the landing gear, which folds down.

Here is the bottom of the ship, with landing gear folded up.

And here is the back. The small grey circle disc near the bottom folds down to become the back landing gear.

Thanks! this is the first moc I've ever put online, I hope you like it! :)
    rancorbaitJenniLegoManiaccvitreolumGothamConstructionCocarlqcaperberry
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113
    The LDD spec sheet is now available on Rebrickable.

margotLegoKipvitreolumcarlq
  • LegoKipLegoKip A cottage by the sea, California, US Member Posts: 259
    edited July 2014
    @Perijove‌ Thank you for the specs to your design! You are one of my young son's best role models, and if ever we should meet in person, he'd gladly show you some of his custom sets (one of which was a Mars Rover he constructed before yours appeared on Cuusoo). He really admires your work, both in Lego and in Space Engineering -- a definite case of hero worship.

You are very kind to share the LDD instructions. If I know him, and I do, he will probably try to build the NCS Surface Scout from the photos provided here first, without looking at the step-by-step instructions, just for the challenge. If he gets stumped, he'll peek.
    Perijove
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    Who called it? All the good entries in the last few days of the contest :)
    edited July 2014
    @Prot Yeah!
  • PerijovePerijove Member Posts: 113
    LegoKip said:

@Perijove‌ Thank you for the specs to your design! You are one of my young son's best role models, and if ever we should meet in person, he'd gladly show you some of his custom sets (one of which was a Mars Rover he constructed before yours appeared on Cuusoo). He really admires your work, both in Lego and in Space Engineering -- a definite case of hero worship.

You are very kind to share the LDD instructions. If I know him, and I do, he will probably try to build the NCS Surface Scout from the photos provided here first, without looking at the step-by-step instructions, just for the challenge. If he gets stumped, he'll peek.

Thanks! I'd love to see your son's models sometime. I'll also be at Brickfair Virginia this week, if you happen to be going. Sounds like he's got a great start on becoming an engineer, if that is the profession he chooses to pursue.

This was a fun contest and I have really enjoyed seeing everyone's awesome entries. I've been a fan of Neo Classic Space for a long time, but this is my first MOC in this theme. I'm already thinking about ideas for other models in the future.

I'm glad I could share the LDD model. It also helped me keep track of the number of pieces I was using. I could easily have used twice as many. It was a fun challenge to include as many details as I could while keeping it within the part limit. Something I'm sure set designers have to deal with all the time.

(Note to the Mods: I was going over the rules again and realized I accidentally went over the four picture limit with my previous post. Would it be possible to remove the image or the post entirely?)

• TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    @Perijove Your second post shouldn't be a big problem, I will only create a link to the first post you made and it should only be that first post that Pete sees when it comes to judging, but if a mod wants to delete the second post, I have no objections to that either :-)
  • MiniTheFigMiniTheFig Member Posts: 10
    Classic Space Viper:

vitreolumcarlqjackybrickJoseph
  • FlanBrosIncFlanBrosInc USMember Posts: 37
    Some very awesome entries here! As others have said, there's usually some great ones right as the contest is ending so I'm sure there's more on the way. I've got an entry prepped but I decided on a last minute recolouring of mine so it's going to be a day or two.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,356
    An entry being posted on behalf of main site member Tom The Brik, this is the LER-ST (Lunar Exploration Rover-Snake Type):

GothamConstructionColegomattscrumperAdzbadboyvitreolumcarlqjackybrick
  • lokailokai Member Posts: 13
    WOW there some awesome builds coming through. Love the Rover!
    edited July 2014
    Damn; I'm currently trying to render more entries but it's taking hours for a polybag size build :/

2 Days Left...
  • jackybrickjackybrick Member Posts: 48
    Hi everyone, it is time for my second entry:
    Mission 29-07-14: Exploration of the Uncharted Surface.
    This MOC consists of three builds: the rover, the trailer and a bit of the planetary terrain with a fallen meteorite.

Notice the tiny Octan fuel barrels/trays on the sides of the rover. (I know there, wasn’t Octan fuel ivented yet in the LEGO Universe, in the times of the Classic Space, but this is the NEO- Classic Space, right? :-)
    As in the matter of my first entry, I had to use Galaxy Squad minifig, because I do not own any CS one.
    Piece count: 215- 225 pcs

So, I hope you like it! :-)
    vitreolumrancorbaitGothamConstructionCoJennicarlqJoseph
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    @Slakcerint - I would have thought #8708 was your inspiration for that model ;o)

Great job though!
    edited July 2014
    LEGO Neo-Classic Space - Mini AZ-96 Podracer:

This 'Neo-Classic Space' MOC is a mini model based on my 'Neo-Classic Space AZ-96 Podracer' which can be found here: https://flic.kr/p/otdA2Y

Fun Fact: 'AZ' is my initials and '96' is my year of birth: 1996.

LEGO Neo-Classic Space - Mini AZ-96 Podracer
    GothamConstructionColegomatt
  • HarryHarry Member Posts: 4
    Here's my MOC, a small scale scene of two space bases. I started off with a 48*48 base plate which gave me plenty of room to build on. The two bases have different colour themes which distinctly divides the board. There are also some moving features such as a missile that comes out of a mountain, a wind-up cart for transporting items and a cable car. Here are the pictures:
    The name for my MOC is 'Mini Space Scene' by the way.
  • slakcerintslakcerint Member Posts: 7

@Slakcerint - I would have thought #8708 was your inspiration for that model ;o)

Glad you like it rancor! There is definitely some PowerMiners vibes going on - the driver roll cage setup is pretty much straight out of that line.
  • jackybrickjackybrick Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2014
    Adzbadboy said:

...Fun Fact: 'AZ' is my initials and '96' is my year of birth: 1996....

...yeah, I have noticed that before, mainly because I did the same in the case of my
    Neo-classical Space Mech SH-96 ! :)
    My second entry, on the other hand- Mission 29-07-14: Exploration of the Uncharted Surface- uses today's date as a part of it's name. :)
    legomatt
  • mrfuturemrfuture NorwayMember Posts: 31
    Here is my LDD space ship for the contest.
    The ship has 229 Parts and has been built in bricks but not as this version of it.
    It may look a bit cross between Classic and Neo classic.

DS Fighter

Here is one picture of the actual built model but it is not the LDD version.
    LDD version is an extension of it.

I hope the pictures shows up if not go to flickr
    https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157645614649569/

100, 100, 100th Picture on Flickr!

This was inspired by Chris McVeigh's (Powerpig) brick sketches.

100, 100, 100th Picture on Flickr!
    legomattPerijovevitreolumslakcerintricecakerancorbaitGothamConstructionCoAanchir
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    ^ Great!

@Adzbadboy I hope you don't mind a suggestion - but i might've substituted the bottom blue piece (the 2x4 portion visible), with maybe a (visible) blue 2x2, then a one-stud width gap, then blue 2x1 (visible), in order to leave a 1 stud-width off-centre 'crack' in the chin strap.

(Unsure what colour, if any, i'd put in that gap - most likely a darker shade of blue (to create the illusion of the break's shadow) might work nicely - or yellow, or just left bare).
    Adzbadboy
    legomatt said:

^ Great!

@Adzbadboy I hope you don't mind a suggestion - but i might've substituted the bottom blue piece (the 2x4 portion visible), with maybe a (visible) blue 2x2, then a one-stud width gap, then blue 2x1 (visible), in order to leave a 1 stud-width off-centre 'crack' in the chin strap.

(Unsure what colour, if any, i'd put in that gap - most likely a darker shade of blue (to create the illusion of the break's shadow) might work nicely - or yellow, or just left bare).

Thanks I will re-post it in a few days with the crack; wasn't sure how to do it but I will think about it.
    Am I the only one that always feels like they can never take good photos of their models? I think this is the 6th or 7th time I've taken some, lol. I think it's just my inner critic nitpicking.

Anyways, I think I got some that are good. I'm a total newbie to classic space, though. I'm not even close to being old enough to have been around when those came out.

Here's the A1-13 Surveillance Rover and Drone.

I wanted to build something that captured the essence of exploration the unknown, a vibe I felt very strongly from looking over the classic space sets, but at the same time I wanted to merge it with something more modern, hence the drone that easily slides into the back of the rover.

It's pretty sturdy and playable, which is another thing I wanted to be sure of.

Here's an extra picture just for fun...

^How I feel when I accidentally drop a delicate Lego model.

Sorry if there are a few spots that mix old and new greys. I don't have the pieces to build in all of either tone.

Hope you guys like it!
    vitreolumAdzbadboyrancorbaitBrickDancerGothamConstructionColegomatt

Am I the only one that always feels like they can never take good photos of their models?

99% of times I'm not happy with my shot. Except for those very rare moments I hit that one angle that really makes me say "Whoa"... and that usually happens on my lamest builds.
    ShibslakcerintAdzbadboy
    vitreolum said:

99% of times I'm not happy with my shot. Except for those very rare moments I hit that one angle that really makes me say "Whoa"... and that usually happens on my lamest builds.

Yeah, I honestly have more trouble photographing my models than anything else. I think what makes it so hard is that you don't have the depth perception in a photo that you have in real life.
    slakcerint
    This is my MOC, the space interceptor. It has a blue, white and bright green colour theme which makes it look futuristic. In this build I've gone for detail in order to make it more sophisticated and realistic. Here are the pictures:
    So after a month of moaning that I can't build a spaceship, here it is, Das Spaceship - Celestial Avenger.

Celestial Avenger

Celestial Avenger

Celestial Avenger

Celestial Avenger
    AdzbadboyCapnRex101slakcerintrancorbaitPerijoveProtGothamConstructionColegomatt
    edited July 2014
    I forgot to name the entry I posted yesterday, it's called: Benny - Brick Sketch
  • LegoSpaceGuyLegoSpaceGuy Member Posts: 2
    First Entry: Updated version of the classic cruiser.
    vitreolumGothamConstructionCobrickedincarlq
  • LegoSpaceGuyLegoSpaceGuy Member Posts: 2
    Second Entry: Updated version of one of the first and favorite sets (second only the Galaxy Explorer) from my childhood; 6890 Cosmic Cruiser.
    (BTW, I'm new to the forums so I apologize if my posting format is a little off. I also apologize for my photography skills; I'm still learning.)
    vitreolumProtcarlq
  • stu_namistu_nami Member Posts: 2
    Lots of great entries here! Here's mine, which is just a bit of fun really.

Introducing the Classic Space self-righting mono-wheel.... an unconventional mode of transport, the free-wheeling WEEBL-1 wobbles but it doesn't fall down. The secret? A weight inside with a double layer of Lego magnets attached. (I tried just bricks to start with but it wasn't heavy enough to balance the minifig).

Just to prove it works, check out the videos of it in action:

https://flic.kr/p/owRqKT
    https://flic.kr/p/ofnbh9

Good luck everyone!
    GothamConstructionColegomattvitreolumJennicarlqSirBenricecakeBrickDancergraphite
    Heh, that's an interesting one.