Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2014

Comments

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,481

We must get The Dog and/or Submarine!

as much as I'd love both I can imagine a small version of the dog getting made or a micro scale of the sub in a polybag form. I can't see either getting an amazing rendition. :-( (Uh-oh I posted a frowny face while discussing cloud cuckoo land!)
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    ^ Huh. *scratches head* I almost can't see the point of that 'set'.

A new Kitty will, apparently, sell a set by itself, and Batman too (obviously being used to push the set also)... but the set itself? Well, that seems pretty much it.
    In which case, they might as well put both in a £50 pile of nothing, as it would probably sell the same number of units - to the very same audience of people just wanting every batman/kitty there is.

Almost feels like they're (unusually for Lego) 'wasting' a potential premium fig here.
    rollabar
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,481
    ^I'm glad they've done it, it's sort of a Lego movie battle pack...the one strange thing for TLG is that, as you've pointed out, these characters are the more usually premium. It'd be great if along side this there was a battle pack with a different micromanager, a robot skeleton, a robot swat and two random Bricksberg residents to see how sales compare, e.g. if Army builder packs work for a theme like TLM or if its more about the main characters.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Yeah, i realised after posting (and taking a closer look), it looks like one of those £12 (once were £9 for 4 figs...those were the days...) Battlepack sized taster sets, to get people into a theme. So it makes sense now.

It's a lure set, designed for people getting their first hit - i mean kitty - and dragging them into a batman & movie collecting/completionist phase.
    Shib
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    And another batman figure (well maybe just the head is new) to add to the massive army of variants, (another to add to the collection, just as I think I'm getting there with them).
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979

This video confirms that the Unikitty fig is two different prints, and not double sided printing!

I think with the wide appeal of that character this may be the toughest (most expensive) exclusive. I know it's the only one I want!

Yeah, same here. I don't expect to pay aftermarket prices for it — not unless they're surprisingly low — but I'm still very fond of the design.

With that said, it's also one of the figs that's easiest to do without, since it's just a pair of expressions rather than a unique character or a unique form of the character. There's not necessarily any reason to think these expressions would have shown up in regular sets if she weren't an exclusive. In fact, we didn't even know there would BE any more LEGO Movie sets before this figure was announced. Then again, according to FBTB, Bard the Bowman is a preview fig and not a true exclusive. Maybe the same will be true of this Unikitty?

Good to see that the Batman in next year's LEGO Movie sets will have some new expressions!
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    Cant wait to see what happens to miniset prices when the next lot hit ebay.... Will we see them hit $100 this soon?
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Just read that Bard the Bowman is pretty much a non exclusive and that there is a very high chance he will be later released in another set. He is just a preview in fancy packaging.
  • veign06veign06 USAMember Posts: 137
    edited July 2014

Just read that Bard the Bowman is pretty much a non exclusive and that there is a very high chance he will be later released in another set. He is just a preview in fancy packaging.

Yep, thats what I've thought all along...prices have dropped to $200 or less for him already but I'll wait for him to be in a set for sure. I wish I could say the same for The Collector and Batman, but I doubt it...I really want The Collector but I dont think Ill give in on the ebay prices for him.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    The Collector is a bit of an odd case. From what I understand, he's one of those characters who would almost certainly appear in a Guardians of the Galaxy set if those weren't already packed with new minifigure designs. There are only three sets for that movie other than the Comic-Con ones, but nine unique minifigures between them.

It seems unlikely to me that he'd be a preview fig. Unless Guardians of the Galaxy blows the LEGO Group's expectations out of the water, I can't see them devoting additional sets to a movie they only gave three sets in the first place... unless, of course, he plays a significant role in future Marvel Cinematic Universe installments, in which case he could be released in a set that ties in with one of those.
    Aanchir said:

The Collector is a bit of an odd case. From what I understand, he's one of those characters who would almost certainly appear in a Guardians of the Galaxy set if those weren't already packed with new minifigure designs. There are only three sets for that movie other than the Comic-Con ones, but nine unique minifigures between them.

It seems unlikely to me that he'd be a preview fig. Unless Guardians of the Galaxy blows the LEGO Group's expectations out of the water, I can't see them devoting additional sets to a movie they only gave three sets in the first place... unless, of course, he plays a significant role in future Marvel Cinematic Universe installments, in which case he could be released in a set that ties in with one of those.

Yeah exactly, thats why Im not too certain we will see more GotG sets unless the movie does extremely well, that and it just depends on how much they involve them in future movies. The Collector I think should have a role in other movies, at least some small role (unless he dies for some reason in GotG lol), but I am not sure if they'd ever use him in a set. Its kind of the same reason I want to get the Rocket Warbird, just do not know if theyll make more GotG sets, especially if its not a hit. I mean X-Men is pretty popular and we've only seen two sets and the exclusive Phoenix SDCC fig.
    Aanchir said:

But I guess if he did, the printing would be different? In the same way that there are exclusive versions of Spiderman or Batman. and so the Comic Con version would still be an exclusive.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    GotG is going to be a massive hit. I was reading that the studios are already planning on doing follow up movies to it. It opens next weekend as most of us know, and I am certain it will be pulling in well over $100 million in the first week. This in my opinion will lead to many more GotG sets in the future. Whether or not they contain the Collector, I am not sure. I would almost count on another Rocket Racoon, just in a different outfit or course.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    That TLM Batman is a bit odd looking in the face until I noticed not just the clenched teeth, but also squinting eyes with the area around it in black. If it's double sided with the other side as just a regular mouth expression, then this head may end up representing the best batman face so far as it's closer to real life.
    edited July 2014
    lol thats a preorder...someone feeling lucky. Ive been watching that one since it was put up.
    There is a great song by Iron Maiden called "Can I play with madness"

This should be the theme song for every SDCC weekend on Ebay
    Drmnez
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    edited July 2014
    The first couple of the Collector minifigs are on ebay now. The good news is they are starting lower than yesterday's first Bard the Bowman minifig at $600. Bad news is they are still opening at $400-$500. :(
    What does he have in his hand?
    edited July 2014
    ^ Not sure. Is he lifting weights? Seriously though, it's looks there are trans-red pieces in the middle so I would guess it's supposed to be the Aether.
    edited July 2014
    Hah yeah thats kinda what it looks like...looks like it could be black and red maybe? hard to tell. Looks like the $400 one sold. Yeah I assume thats what it is, just wondering what kinda piece it is.
    The most recent auction has a bit brighter lighting. I think it's just 3 round 1x1's, 2 black with a trans-red in the middle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDCC-LEGO-GUARDIANS-OF-THE-GALAXY-THE-COLLECTOR-MARVEL-2014-EXCLUSIVE-/261543184532
    edited July 2014
    The more I look at it, I'm sure it is the Aether. I think LEGO was inspired by this:
    Yeah thats what it is, at first it just looked like some kinda of cool new piece but it ended up just being 3 1x1 round pieces haha. Still cool, prices are already down to $250.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,189
    Day 2 report. I won again, but my son didn't. The percentage appears to be about the same as yesterday (75%).

Sometimes you have to be sneaky. A family in line bought the 3 exclusives. I asked them how early they got there. They said 8:30a.... They managed to sneak in through the front entrance by claiming to use the restroom. They stalled there until the doors were officially open at 9a. @yys4u said he camped at 2a, but was still shut out...
    sidersdd
    edited July 2014
    vwong19 said:

Day 2 report. I won again, but my son didn't. The percentage appears to be about the same as yesterday (75%).

Sometimes you have to be sneaky. A family in line bought the 3 exclusives. I asked them how early they got there. They said 8:30a.... They managed to sneak in through the front entrance by claiming to use the restroom. They stalled there until the doors were officially open at 9a. @yys4u said he camped at 2a, but was still shut out...

Thats awesome, so its about a 75% chance that you win once you scan your badge? So how long have to had to wait in line to scan your badge? So I assume if you go to do things like this, theres no chance to get into the H hall to see the big panels?
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,418
    @vwong19‌ - Congrats on another win!
    edited July 2014
    @vwong19 Congratulations on winning again. Sounds like the odds are way better than last year. Since you won and your son didn't, are you going to have to implement some sort of Collector time-share? ;)
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    If it is 75 percent the prices surely will drop pretty good I cannot believe some one paid 400
    edited July 2014
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,271
    chuckp said:

The most recent auction has a bit brighter lighting. I think it's just 3 round 1x1's, 2 black with a trans-red in the middle.

Here is a better picture.
    chuckp
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/171398449749?nav=SEARCH
    I think I can wait to be second with one.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,189
    Risk reward for the raffles are so much better than the exclusive sets. But I am torn between batman and Hall H tomorrow.
    It's the automatic additional import charges to the UK on top which really annoy me now with eBay. Before they did their global shipping programme thing most things seemed to slip through the net and the charges were never applied. Now however it adds 25-30% to the cost to get one to the UK :-(
    What I am interested to see is who is more desirable out there.

Are people going to be after The Collector more than Zur-En-Arhh or the other way around.
    refreshing ebay like mad lol
    Picked up a Collector and Bard the Bowman so far.

From news I've heard, the Unikitty on Sunday is drawing a lot of interest. Which is both surprising and un-surprising at the same time.

I imagine the Batman will be more wanted than the Collector.
    fingers crossed ive bagged a warbird
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    You surprise me Sam. I thought you'd wait until after the con when prices start to settle.

Or maybe you just couldn't wait, you've waited a year already! :)
    @tom4086‌ - Goodness no! I'm online eBay during comic con weekend more than in the aftermath. I've found that some of the best deals to be had happen during the weekend. I was fortunate to get my Bard and Collector at really great prices. I never pay full price ;o)
    Now that definitely doesn't surprise me! :) but, I'm yet to see any "really great prices".... Haven't spotted any bargains at all!
    edited July 2014
    @tom4086‌ - There have been 4 so far that I've seen, I was lucky enough to grab two of them.

Looks like another set of 1,500, simply judging by the number of collectors flooding the market right now.
    I think you're making it up Sam ;)
    @tom4086‌ - I did have surgery earlier today, so maybe I'm still a bit under ;o)
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,266
    All I want is a Batmobile. I don't ask for much.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,354
    @samiam391‌ - Do you collect the exclusive sets as well?