Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

The Brickset Builders Guild - Neo-Classic Space MOC Contest

Comments

• TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    My goodness! 15 entries since last week, more than the previous two weeks combined! I love all the originality of these models, I think a recap is on order!

Spaceship by rancorbait

Spaceship by MiniTheFig

Spaceship by bobabricks

Mobile Mineral Extractor and Refinery by vitreolum

The Robotics Lab by Shib

Exo-Suit Dropship by rancorbait

LLX-323 NeoBlade by aimlesspursuits

Starsail by vitreolum

Classic Space (micro spaceship) by Kevin_Hyatt

Lunar Base by vitreolum

Spaceship 2 by MiniTheFig

Space Command Centre by Adzbadboy

Space Explorer by Paperballpark

MT-47 Spacetank by LegoKip

MX-87 Fighter and Interceptor by LegoKip

USS Exploration by samiam391

Moe's Classic Cantina by vitreolum

The Surface Searcher by Shib

UU-224 Hammerhead Submersible by Big_Sal

Modular X-Wing by lokai

LL-129 Corvus Starfighter by slakcerint

Neo-Classic Space T.A.R.D.I.S. by Lind_Whisperer

Generic Classic Space Ship duelling Blacktron Soldier by CM4S

The Space Base Chase! by CM4S

LL-110 Dorado by slakcerint

Spaceship by jtr

On a different note, you may have noticed an article on the Brickset front page about this contest, and you may have noticed the comments. It has been agreed between me and @huw that non-forum members can participate, but I will be posting on their behalf and clearly stating their Brickset username. I'm putting this message here just in case you see any posts that might make you think that I'm entering my own competition when I'm not!
    ShibslakcerintbobabricksAdzbadboyLego_Starcarlq
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,359
    Thanks @Shib, but you can also give a thankyou to the original creator of the Guild @CapnRex101 who also helped to make this contest a reality :-)
    GothamConstructionCochuckpJosephcarlq
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,216
    Good point - a doth of the proverbial cap to @CapnRex101‌ and equally thanks to everyone else who has entered and made this an entertaining thread to visit!
    GothamConstructionCo
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited July 2014
    @TheOneVeyronian Just make sure you don't allow the good ones, only the weak entries. :))
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,805

I liked the look of the double canopy on my last entry, LL-129, and have been messing around with similar designs in LDD since... here's the result. My second ship for the contest: LL-110 'DORADO'

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3879/14711646294_6eef0e9944_c.jpg

216 bricks LDD count

Nifty design! Minor quibble — I can see that you used either Light Grey (Bricklink's Very Light Gray) or Light Stone Grey (Bricklink's Very Light Bluish Gray) for a lot of the vehicle. I think, if you're going for accuracy to the actual Classic Space color scheme, you'd want to use either Grey (Bricklink's Light Gray) or Medium Stone Grey (Bricklink's Light Bluish Gray). I understand that the official LEGO color names can be a bit confusing!
    slakcerint
  • iancam33iancam33 Member Posts: 407
    I wish I had known about this since the beginning. Some nice entries so far.
  • slakcerintslakcerint Member Posts: 7
    Aanchir said:

I liked the look of the double canopy on my last entry, LL-129, and have been messing around with similar designs in LDD since... here's the result. My second ship for the contest: LL-110 'DORADO'
    216 bricks LDD count

Nifty design! Minor quibble — I can see that you used either Light Grey (Bricklink's Very Light Gray) or Light Stone Grey (Bricklink's Very Light Bluish Gray) for a lot of the vehicle. I think, if you're going for accuracy to the actual Classic Space color scheme, you'd want to use either Grey (Bricklink's Light Gray) or Medium Stone Grey (Bricklink's Light Bluish Gray). I understand that the official LEGO color names can be a bit confusing!
    Thanks Aanchir! - There's a reason you're the official colour encyclopedia!
    I honestly don't know what colour I'm using in LDD... BUT, I have been building only with pieces available in the Medium Stone Grey (Bricklink's Light Bluish Gray). (mostly - some exceptions for older parts like the hoses/ will need to be an old grey in real brick) Since i don't render things I'm finding this colour shows the piece separation better than the darker greys and pops more against the blue... I'll try switching it up if i get to building any more LDD entries.
    cheers!
    Entry being posted by me on behalf of Brickset member Darth_Maul_Epic. Here is his Spaceship:
    bobabricksvitreolumcarlqlegomatt
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    ^Like it. I don't know what the judges think about M-Tron being classic or not, but I think it makes a welcome break from the grey-blue-trans-yellow creations (though they have been great, too).
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,450
    Interesting! I don't think there's anything in the rules specifically against it, but I do note this from two weeks ago...

If in doubt about the required style or colour scheme, aim for this :

or even Pete's reimagined version below...

:-)

Well, since we've had a rather surprising lack of actual mechs, and the definition of Classic Space does vary from person to person, I'll allow the M-Tron styled mech through my admittedly lenient rulings. After all, I don't make the final decision in this case (or any of the decisions in fact, I'm just a host and moderator), Pete does :-)
  • suprajamessuprajames UK SussexMember Posts: 366
    Thank you very much :), I just seem to have a lot more red and black parts than I do in grey and blue. If it turns out its not allowed then cool with me, as I said I am just starting out with MOC's so been a really good learning exercise either way.
    rancorbaitplasmodiumJenni
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,290

Well, since we've had a rather surprising lack of actual mechs,

That's about to change! ;)

-Sci
    ^^ Well done... you have officially made the contest host groan with your pun ;-P

@suprajames I will add your entry to the official contest entry list like every other entry and Pete can judge it with the other entries if he so chooses :-)
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    edited July 2014
    CM4S said:

Well, since we've had a rather surprising lack of actual mechs,

That's about to change! ;)

-Sci
    It is indeed! ;o)
  • 18000pieces18000pieces Member Posts: 2
    Not much microscale yet, so I'll toss my hat into the ring - here's the Jetsons/Bespin-style Floating City!

Sure, the most glamorous images of Classic Space come from the bold explorers striking out into the vast unknown of the galaxy, but sometimes you have to stop and think about what happens when they find a planet worth terraforming. Sometimes it's too swampy, caustic, volcanic, or just plain hostile to start building on, but you've got to have a base of operations somewhere. And that somewhere is the MM-03 Floating Administrative Center.

Assembled in orbit around industrialized worlds and pulled to its destination by hyperspace tugs, the MM-03 comes with a sufficiently powerful repulsion engine to drop safely through even the most dangerous of atmospheres. Once it comes to its resting level, it can remain hovering for up to a century on its own power.

It isn't the most glamorous of designs, but it gets the job done - its three main towers contain all the living and working space for a population of up to 1000 pioneers, usually a mix of the federation's finest survivalists, scientists, and bureaucrats (hey, it takes a lot of paperwork to set up a new planetary government).

With its two built-in landing pads and complement of two versatile ships (the affectionately-named Dromedary is pictured below), the MM-03's influence can stretch across an entire planet, and often has - to date, they have spearheaded the colonization efforts of over a hundred inhabitable worlds discovered by the brave men and women of the Exploration Corps.

(I had had a hankering to build some NCS, and when I saw the contest on the brickset frontpage I couldn't resist. I had the notion of using Astro-kitty's legs for a microscale doorway, and the rest of the build sort of spiraled out from there. Surprisingly, it comes to only about 230 pieces, despite being over a foot tall.)
    rancorbaitLind_WhisperervitreolumsuprajamesCapnRex101GothamConstructionCojackybrickcarlqlegomatt
  • Lind_WhispererLind_Whisperer ZotaxMember Posts: 65
    Nice! You managed to capture the feeling of a floating base quite nicely! Clever use of Astro-Kitty's legs.

I like the ship - is that based on a full-scale model, or just something you created specifically for the contest?
  • 18000pieces18000pieces Member Posts: 2
    Thanks! The ship is original for the contest. I took a metal detector piece and just sort of added stuff to it until it looked good :P
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    Since it's built and fits the theme, I'd like to share my micro-GARC: Galaxy GARC
    With four warp engines, it has the speed, but can be tricky to maneuver through dense asteroid fields. The crew knows that win or lose, their sponsors will make them stars on the silver screen in their sequence of vehicle inspired underdog stories, or at least a heartwarming made-for-TV movie.
    bobabricksGothamConstructionCorancorbaitsuprajamesvitreolumcarlq
    Got bored during lunch and wound up putting together a little LDD entry - I've decided to call this little ship The Swift Star.

I'm really not very comfortable with LDD, so it's a rather simplistic design, but I believe it is all real parts and I couldn't see any connections that wouldn't work in real life.

I'm pretty pleased with how it's come out, even if it is very basic. It could definitely do with a couple of Classic space logos on those blue slopes though!

vitreolumrancorbaitbobabricksGothamConstructionCo
    So here's that mech I was talking about. Not the best, especially the feet, but I like it.

I can't think of a name, so I'll just call it the JJ-5x5 Mecha.

vitreolumrancorbaitricecakeGothamConstructionColegomattsuprajamescarlq
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,624
    I have one or two more entires on the way; I really want that Exo-Suit :)
    My copy of the lego movie and Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP arrived so I decided to try to make something with just parts from the first bag - plus Benny retrieved from bag 5.

Presenting, Benny's Remote Controlled Sentry Unit.

I'm really enjoying doing little builds like this with a restricted number of random pieces. I had literally no idea what this was even going to be until about halfway through the build.

Originally I thought it was going to be a small scale ship, but the legs just seemed to make sense.

suprajamesrancorbaitvitreolumchuckpcarlqAdzbadboyGothamConstructionCoJenni
    edited July 2014
    That's awesome. Add a head on the front hinge and you can post it in the turtle contest. :))
  • TroublesBrewingTroublesBrewing Member Posts: 7
    Big noob here. Spent last night putting together a classic "build up" spaceship and tried to use only all white pieces, but noticed today when rereading the rules that it needs to be blue or grey. Is it worth submitting anyway?

Didn't want to un-build Benny's spaceship or any of my 1980's sets, but I guess that may be tonight's plan and build something else to submit.

Big noob here. Spent last night putting together a classic "build up" spaceship and tried to use only all white pieces, but noticed today when rereading the rules that it needs to be blue or grey. Is it worth submitting anyway?

Didn't want to un-build Benny's spaceship or any of my 1980's sets, but I guess that may be tonight's plan and build something else to submit.

Well, we have an M-Tron entry, so I don't think that an all-white ship would be considered out of place at all(let's not forget the unforgettable classical Starfleet Voyager.). Of course, whether or not it falls under Neo-Classic Space is another matter, but I don't really see any reason why not to submit it.

If you don't want to take apart your classic ships, try using LDD - it really can be quite helpful, especially as you aren't limited by the reaches of your collection.
  • TroublesBrewingTroublesBrewing Member Posts: 7
    I like the LDD idea. I think I'll build the same ship in LLD with blue and gray parts. Then I'll list pics of both. The physical build will be the prototype build of the LDD. Can't help thinking of how Boba Fett's character conception was in all white.

I still feel pretty good about building something with the restriction of on the parts on hand. The idea of making something from scratch with every part imaginable available hurts my brain.
  • matticus_bricksmatticus_bricks Member Posts: 648
    Hello! I'd like to submit my entry for the contest, Crash Landing!

This unfortunate space man finds his small spacecraft crashing into a distant moon and bursting into flame! Will he survive the ordeal?
    bobabrickssuprajamesGothamConstructionColegomattbinaryeyericecakecarlqjackybrick
    I give you the Mk. IV Strongman mech:

One thing I've always noticed, is how mechs never seem to have hands particularly suited to lifting heavy loads. Sure, pinchers, claws, and fingers can lift small boxes and barrels, but that's about the extent to which they can be safely trusted. So, I decided that I wanted my mech to literally be a space forklift.

All in all, I'm fairly pleased with the final result.

This shot shows the counterbalance in back, to offset the weight of heavy space pallets and crates - another feature that I've noticed mechs lacking. Also, note the two 53989s on each "hand" - I wanted the hands to still be able to have some degree of "pinching/holding" ability.

Another shot, this time showing the flexibility of the mech and its high reaching range - no more worrying about getting that shipment stacked in time!

LDD File

Brick Count: 143
    bobabricksrancorbaitvitreolumricecakecarlq
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Wow that is nice. You should have named it the UCS Exo-suit
    rancorbaitbobabricks
  • ProtProt Member Posts: 18
    This week I've been working on a classic space monorail, and I'm pretty pleased with the results! just have to take some pictures, and submit. I have to say the competition is quite fierce though!
    edited July 2014
    Heh, funny, my last entry is also a monorail. Will post it today as well, but damn did that wannabe pacific rim junk heap stomp on it hard.
    rancorbait

My third and final entry for this contest, the Exo-suit:

l especially like the way you used the pistols for hands - clever! Also, the double cockpit is a very nice touch!

On a side note, is anyone else having trouble loading this page? All the pictures seem to be slowing it to a crawl...
    rancorbait
    Final entry: "The Ram" Monorail

"The Ram" Monorail

"The Ram" Monorail

"The Ram" Monorail
    CM4SAdzbadboyrancorbaitLind_Whispererbobabrickslegomattcarlqjackybrick
    Wow, that's nice.

I've kind of run out of ideas for another entry. Not much to do besides mechs, ships, and bases. I'd love to make a monorail if I had enough creativity.

Anyone have any ideas?
    @rancorbait and @vitreolum have struck for one final time; now there is no chance of winning :/
    edited July 2014
    vitreolum said:

Final entry: "The Ram" Monorail
    height="566" alt=""The Ram" Monorail">

It looks nice, but can it fit a minifig? And is it stationary, or if more track was added could it move?

Good job either way, though!
    CM4S said:

Wow, that's nice.

I've kind of run out of ideas for another entry. Not much to do besides mechs, ships, and bases. I'd love to make a monorail if I had enough creativity.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a bit of an idea for a base that I haven't seen anyone ever do before - I may be able to build it before the contest ends, we will see...
    @Lind_Whisperer Yes, it can fit a minifig although barely and there's space inside to add some interior.

It can move but only front-back. no corners. The rail is 2653 with a reversed tile 2x4 between them. The blue bricks you see are there to keep it from falling off.
  • slakcerintslakcerint Member Posts: 7
    Damn rancorbait, you just stepped up the "lack of actual mechs" game!
    I've got to admit, I was a little reluctant posting a mech in a contest being judged by the ExoSuit architect himself... but figured I'd give it a shot. - Slightly smaller in scale, The ALPHA-2 EXOFRAME:

97 bricks LDD count
    rancorbaitvitreolumbobabrickssuprajamesGothamConstructionCocarlqricecake
    ^I really like that, it's got a slightly 'chibi' look, a bit like the micro fighters but without looking like its deliberately miniaturised!
  • thedaveyboythedaveyboy Hampshire UKMember Posts: 55
    ^ great little model.
    edited July 2014
    Top 3 contributors:
    1. @vitreolum – 5
    2. @Shib - 4
    3. @Rancorbait and @slakcerint - 3
    ^Hadn't realised I'd managed that...only takes one entry to win the prize though ;-)