Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2014

Comments

• Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 599
    LIke vwong said...anxiety always sets in in trying to snag this stuff at SDCC. It's never easy, and it's rarely ever fun. Thank god they added those walls three years ago, so we can at least keep ourselves occupied with building instead of waiting around in a line being extremely squished and hot.

I pray they increased the #'s and found a better method to raffle off the exclusive minifigs. Last year was an absolute $#*@ show.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,428
    husky96 said:

What if LEGO did the anti-SDCC thing and mass produced all of these "exclusives". Reduced amounts of aftermarket selling (at lower prices), no pissed off fans, etc. Dare to dream.

LEGO has said, in the past anyway, that they will never re release any promos that are SDCC. Now that does not mean the character will not be released in a production set, but the actual design will not.
    sidersdd said:

samiam391 said:

sidersdd said:

Exclusive Unikitty too?!

Looks like I picked the wrong year to stop reselling (and sniffing glue too). Gonna need to sell some items to pay for these guys.

@sidersdd‌ - I think the mentioned that set was going to be released in January, and not exclusive to the con?
    The way I understand it, the set on the right, with Angry Kitty, is to be released in January. The other Kitty is probably an exclusive. Dunno of course, and like @legomatt reiterates, these may become available in future sets. It's just an "exclusive" reveal. Which can be painful when you drop $500 on something you believe to be truly exclusive in availability to the con, only to find out 3 months later you can get it in a $20 set.
    Yes but you are not paying 500 for a LEGO character if you go to the Con, you are paying for the ticket, and possibly getting the figure in addition to going to the Con.
    Sure it sells for that on eBay, but that is up to someone being that crazy... errr.. 'passionate' to pay that kind of money for a figure.
    So I have no qualms about LEGO deciding to release them in 20 dollar sets.
    If someone is then mad about it being released, they should be more upset about paying that kind of money for a LEGO figure.

The key I do see though is that if LEGO did re-release a figure they explicitly said they would not release- which then caused someone to feel they needed to buy the figure to get it-could get LEGO in a bit of hot water. But, again, someone is paying 500 dollars for a minifigure!
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,348
    This is very frustrating: I am going to want these, I just know it!
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    So far I would only be after the Star Wars one (don't honestly care for the figure though) the model is what appeals to me, and as far as I can see is completely bricklink-able just need to find a copy of the instructions
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,976
    edited July 2014
    New figure announcement! Bard the Bowman from The Hobbit.

The article makes it sound like this will be one of four true "exclusive" figs, not a preview fig like Azog was. The article also seems to confirm the same about Cuteskitty/Cheerkitty. According to the article, we can surmise that the exclusive figs will be...

Bard the Bowman, representing The Hobbit
    The Collector, representing Marvel
    Cuteskitty/Cheerkitty, representing The LEGO Movie
    ...And a yet-to-be-disclosed DC Comics character.

This is a sort of unusual lineup, not only because it's not dominated by superheroes like the past couple years have been, but also because it would include three figs belonging to Warner Bros. properties and just one belonging to a Disney/Marvel property.

Anyone have any guesses what the DC Comics figure might be? Maybe a version of The Flash based on his appearance in the new TV series?
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,251
    I just read something that said the other two exclusive minifigs were LEGO Movie minifigs.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    ^ Any assumptions being made about the inclusion of a minifigure with the Batmobile? The nerd rage might well up if I discover that there will be an Adam West Batman.
    legomatt
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,251
    Nothing that I have seen. I am on the edge of my seat waiting for a picture to be revealed.
  • GeddesGeddes Member Posts: 574
    Yes a hobbit and lego movie exclusive! i want neither :) means i have to collect less
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I am all for diversity and I think this is great.

Bard the Bowman looks good, but not what I collect so I am happy with that. Definitely not interested in the Kitty thing.

Lets hope the DC one is a gooder. I would be surprised if it was Flash since we just had him out not too long ago. Something new, something fresh would be welcomed.
    my moneys on the atom.... hes been announced to star in arrow, would settle for blue beetle or killer moth

I am all for diversity and I think this is great.

Bard the Bowman looks good, but not what I collect so I am happy with that. Definitely not interested in the Kitty thing.

Lets hope the DC one is a gooder. I would be surprised if it was Flash since we just had him out not too long ago. Something new, something fresh would be welcomed.

I just figured the Flash would be a good example of a figure who is very relevant right now (thanks to the new TV series) and could be made with existing molds. It'd be interesting to see the leathery-looking costume depicted in Dark Red rather than Bright Red like the version who appears in the sets.

Another possibility my brother brought up is Deathstroke, since he's currently appearing in the TV series Arrow.
    andhe
    man a deathstroke would be a dream come true
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    I'm so hoping you are right @Aanchir‌, that there is only one other SH exclusive fig to come. And I would be quite pleased with Deathstroke or the screen version of Flash (with yellow boots).

Any word on how many of The Collector will be produced?
    @BrickDancer‌ no numbers have been mentioned yet except for the minisets
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644
    ok, I went from Meh, give me Star Wars or get out. to DUDE Deathstroke!!! I know its only hearsay/rumor but the idea alone got me quite excited!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited July 2014
    I'm going to be a bit miffed if the Collector features heavily in the next heroes movie, but only exists in lego form as a con exclusive.
    I'd prefer exclusive-to-con figs were variants of figs to be released, rather than never-to-be-done again, especially if they're key to a movie/storyline. Green Lantern being a perfect example so far.
    rollabarandhe
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Happy about the movie fig as I don't need it. Would definitely want Bard but won't be going crazy if I miss it.
    Would love it if the 4th was comic book guy, from the simpsons. @legomatt‌ my understanding is the collector is a big player in the cinematic universe
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    Sorry if I don't reply to people's PM regarding obtaining the exclusive sets.... I'm in no position to make any deals with anyone not attending at the moment. Even if I managed to get a few extras, how would I fairly decide who to deal with given the high demand here versus the small supply. Anyway, if there was a collective pool that generated enough supply then something marginally fair could be worked out, but as you can tell, these are just Hail Mary's.

On a positive note, I'm happy that no additional items are being added to my wish list today. Waiting for other shoe to drop...

I can already see adults who won the Unikitty attempting to make trades for the Collector to younger fans. Win-win for both, but you know who really is coming out ahead there. I'm guessing fewer will want the Hobbit figure, although I'm sure that will fetch a pretty penny towards the Collector and DC minifigure.
    sidersdd
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    I think the DC set will have an exclusive Adam West Batman minifig. The only logical choice. Marvel has two exclusive figs, Rockets Raccoon and The Collector. One in the set and one as a stand alone minifig. I expect DC to follow the same pattern.

Very interesting to see what the DC fig will be as I would have zero interest in the 66 Batmobile fig.

If it is a must have that is great, only one out of four to buy this year.
    vwong19 said:

Sorry if I don't reply to people's PM regarding obtaining the exclusive sets.... I'm in no position to make any deals with anyone not attending at the moment. Even if I managed to get a few extras, how would I fairly decide who to deal with given the high demand here versus the small supply.

Obvious...you do a raffle. LOL Damn lego

yys4u
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    I cannot see the last exclusive fig being Batman, since we have had him in the past.

I am calling Aqua-man, you heard it here first :D lol.
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    My vote is for Cyborg.

I hope I'm wrong though as I want him in a standard set.
    Mojoest said:

My vote is for Cyborg.

I think that's unlikely, since if the LEGO Group had designed a physical version that didn't need any new molds (for instance, one using Cyrus Borg's headset from LEGO Ninjago), they probably would have used it in LEGO Batman 3. But instead the "headgear" on the version in LEGO Batman 3 is unique and does not have any physical counterpart.
    edited July 2014
    Gooker1 said:

vwong19 said:

Sorry if I don't reply to people's PM regarding obtaining the exclusive sets.... I'm in no position to make any deals with anyone not attending at the moment. Even if I managed to get a few extras, how would I fairly decide who to deal with given the high demand here versus the small supply.

Obvious...you do a raffle. LOL Damn lego
    Seriously, though. If somebody/anybody IS willing/going to pick up con exclusives/extras, could they be donatable/negotiable to the fairybricks raffle prize pool? I'm sure @SirKevbags would be willing to discuss options for such rarities.
    GoldJonosidersddLego_Starbrickedin
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,467
    Aanchir said:

Mojoest said:

My vote is for Cyborg.

I think that's unlikely, since if the LEGO Group had designed a physical version that didn't need any new molds (for instance, one using Cyrus Borg's headset from LEGO Ninjago), they probably would have used it in LEGO Batman 3. But instead the "headgear" on the version in LEGO Batman 3 is unique and does not have any physical counterpart.
    They might always just print the headgear on.

Shib said:

Aanchir said:

Mojoest said:

My vote is for Cyborg.

They might always just print the headgear on.

They could indeed. But my point is that if they were GOING to do that, they would probably have used that same real-life design in LEGO Batman 3, rather than a design that can't exist in actual LEGO.
    edited July 2014
    ^ Not sure about that, I'm pretty sure I saw some pictures of minifigs from the games that were different in sets.

Green Arrow is a perfect example for this, the one in Batman 2 is completely different from the SDCC one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/hothbricks/8852092774/
    vitreolum said:

^ Not sure about that, I'm pretty sure I saw some pictures of minifigs from the games that were different in sets.

Green Arrow is a perfect example for this, the one in Batman 2 is completely different from the SDCC one. https://www.flickr.com/photos/hothbricks/8852092774/

Yes, but the difference there is that the release dates for the actual figure and LEGO Batman 2 weren't even close. LEGO Batman 2 came out in June 2012 over a year before SDCC 2013 when the Green Arrow minifigure was distributed. In contrast, LEGO Batman 3 will be released later this year, so any SDCC 2014 minifigures could very easily have been designed in time to make it into the game.
  • MojoestMojoest UKMember Posts: 474
    Unfortunately not as a minifigure, but probably at about the right scale to work with minifigures, (Even as an oversized hulk size figure it would be way too small).

The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man
    http://news.toyark.com/2014/07/19/san-diego-comic-con-2014-lego-bard-bowman-exclusive-minifigure-129068
    There's images of the batman exclusive on ebay:

Another one to add to the list...
    RomanticWarrior
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,210
    With no minifig?
    Looks like it. Seems to be a lot bigger than the other exclusives though.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    The listing says that 'the picture is the concept' so I wouldn't set too much store on it being the final model.
    sidersdd
    All I have to say is that they better have a decent mini-fig to salvage that Bat mobile. Not a fan of it at all.
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,395
    I love the collector (and ironically a figure that will be a rare collectible) but Unikitty is the one I like the most. Too bad that I could never afford comic con or the prices these go for...I can't believe there is still no Green Lantern Minifig other than the con one
    edited July 2014
    That's not the con batmobile. It's a moc that had been used to illustrate the news, taken from a website.
    Thought that was too big, but it looks so damn good I wanted it to be true.
    Slightly off topic but... I was just reading that supposedly DC are going to announce a load of new films to be put into production, could have a bit of an impact on what new sets we see over the next few years (although the DC Superheroes theme seems less in line with the films than the Marvel sets have been)
    ^ probably just because the DC lego movie sets suck. The Dark Knight and Super Heroes have been shelf warmers. Also DC hasn't been as prolific.

I prefer the comic versions anyway, but I will take either.
  • magrimagri UKMember Posts: 157
    This is their supposed schedule which 'leaked' back in June:

• May 2016 – Batman v Superman

• July 2016 – Shazam

• Xmas 2016 – Sandman

• May 2017 – Justice League

• July 2017 – Wonder Woman

• Xmas 2017 – Flash and Green Lantern team-up

• May 2018 – Man Of Steel 2

I think it's fair to say you can rule out Sandman sets...
    ^Theres also a constantine tv series that I wouldn't expect to see anything in Lego form :-P

^^Very true, plus I think the Marvel films have been a bit more child friendly on the whole.
    magri
    magri said:

I think it's fair to say you can rule out Sandman sets...

Which is a darn shame, since that's one of the main comics I read. But obviously, yeah, not a kids' franchise by any stretch of the imagination. I don't even know whether you could even hope for Sandman characters to cameo in a LEGO video game...
    Fbtb has reported that there could be 1750 of each minifigure exclusive given out per day. If that is true what do people speculate the value to be for each figure. If I don't win I may offer cash to people in line...

2011 (2000x)
    Green Lantern $300
    Batman $250
    2012 (1000x)
    Bizarro $200
    Shazam $175
    Black Spider-Man $150
    Marvel Girl $160
    Green Arrow (200) $500+
    Spider women (350) $450
    Spider-Man (350) $450
    Superman Black (200) $400
    2014 (1750)
    Collector $????
    Bard the Bowman $????
    DC figure $????
    Hello Kitty $????

"Common" exclusives
    Lex Luther $20
    Iron Patriot $30
    Hulk $30
    Martian Manhunter $15

The initial prices for 2012 were around $100. I suspect that since there are fewer Super Heroes to collect, but the supply is higher, the price will start the same. I don't know how popular the Collector is to the general public prior to the movie. Hello Kitty may fetch higher prices to a bigger market (ie Mr Gold is $700+ but there is 5000).
    These will start out like hotcakes like they always do for a few weeks. But as eBay gets flooded w/ them, it will dwindle down. I can imagine these settling in the low to mid 100 range the next year. Look at Spidey and Jean Grey. The Jean Grey should be doing better b/c of her popularity, but people liked the DC ones more than the Marvel ones from 2012.
    I would be shocked if there were 1750 released per day. That's 7000 each over the 4 day period. That is so much more than last year (250 per day). I guess the upside is that people will "minimize" their complaining because there will be more chances to get them.

The Ebay / BL market will be flooded as mentioned, thus driving down the price too. The first day these hit the market I am sure they will be listed around $350 to $450. Just because people forgot to take their meds.

Best time to buy is to wait till Wednesday, when most people have returned from SDCC and had a chance to list them. That's when you start to see the majority of them showing up.

PS - can we shed a tear for the scalpers who go there and sell them off at high prices to pay for their trip (if there is 1750 per day) :D
    Mojoest
    This is great news, more figs less money! Lego has listened, wider exclusive choices and more units.
    DrmnezvitreolumAdeelZubair
    Great, the weakest exclusives so far and now they make them approachable.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    More news from fbtb:

http://www.fbtb.net/2014/07/22/sdcc-lego-systems-unveils-new-products-experiences-and-exclusives-at-san-diego-comic-con/

They'll be having a twitter raffle for the exclusive figs too! Though I think my chances will be far less than winning something from the Fairy Bricks raffle. :)
    chuckpsidersdd