Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO at SDCC 2014

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,252
    I think the 20 'exclusives' include the giant display models but that is still a lot.
    andhe
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,735
    ^^^^ The WSJ seem to be including life size display models in that figure, the number of items given away or available for purchase could turn out to be considerably less.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,251
    I know it is a long shot like everyone says, but if someone is willing to *try* to help me acquire some of these exclusives, I would be eternally grateful.
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    I'm so upset. I'm glad I am only really interested in the SH stuff
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    Oh man I am hoping there are only a couple Marvel and DC ones. The rest can be Star Wars and LOTR for all I care.

My wallet is bawling right now.

Which reminds me, "shine your shoes for a shilling, sir!"
    Drmnez
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    TLG has ignored the comments of some of its most loyal fans year on year on how these exclusives are released - all indications are that we won't see the superhero figures released at SDCC in normal sets (we haven't so far) which is a kick in the teeth for collectors (especially as other companies seem to manage the convention giveaways so much better).

I've now got to the stage where I'm hoping Decool rip off the designs and release the figs.
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    From the article:
    "Lego will also give away four minifigures at Comic-Con, including The Collector character from “Guardians of the Galaxy,” who will be played by Benicio del Toro."

Ugh. I wonder if all four will be Marvel/DC. Those four, plus the Rocket set, plus the Batmobile set. Woe is me (and my wallet).
    DrmnezBrickDancer
    Looks like I might have to not eat when comic on comes around. Hahaha just kidding

I do not know y lego does exclusives. Kids do not give a crap cuz most will never see them and lego doesn't make money from secondary market
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    edited July 2014
    I'm getting dizzy with all the calculations going on in my head. So let me get this straight:

Micro-Warbird w/ Rocket Raccoon = $40
    Micro-Ghost Ship = $40
    Micro-Classic Batmobile = $40

4 Exclusive Minifigs:
    1) The Collector
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?
    Drmnez said:

Looks like I might have to not eat when comic on comes around. Hahaha just kidding

I do not know y lego does exclusives. Kids do not give a crap cuz most will never see them and lego doesn't make money from secondary market

Not only that, but Lego claims to dislike the secondary market but then does something which only succeeds in feeding it. It's rank hypocrisy.
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 656
    edited July 2014
    I have every appendage possible crossed that the 4 SDCC "exclusives" are not all DC and Marvel.
    ^I'm praying 2 of them are for TMNT. Leaving the other to be DC.
    sidersdd
    I will collect the TMNT SDCC and exclusive figs once the movie has come out and people are calling for Michael Bays head. I am predicting a fire sale then :D

So, let two of them be TMNT and the other one DC. I can live with that.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 2,251

I'm getting dizzy with all the calculations going on in my head. So let me get this straight:

Micro-Warbird w/ Rocket Raccoon = $40
    Micro-Ghost Ship = $40
    Micro-Classic Batmobile = $40

4 Exclusive Minifigs:
    1) The Collector
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?

I would like to see Comic Book Guy and human Metalbeard.
    If so, the least desired will be the Reseller. But I have a feeling he would be the most profitable one in the aftermarket.
    chuckpandhe
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,416
    For goodness sakes LEGO! Looks like this will be my busiest sdcc weekend to date with so many exclusives to fight for!
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    There's no mention of the quantity of the exclusive figs or how they will be distributed in the WSJ article. That's the real key to the whole "exclusive" thing. If they made 1,000 of each fig that would help ease some of the tension surrounding the SDCC give-aways.... maybe?
    Drmnez

TLG has ignored the comments of some of its most loyal fans year on year on how these exclusives are released - all indications are that we won't see the superhero figures released at SDCC in normal sets (we haven't so far) which is a kick in the teeth for collectors (especially as other companies seem to manage the convention giveaways so much better).

I've now got to the stage where I'm hoping Decool rip off the designs and release the figs.

People have had this argument for years, even since the first release of sd/ny comic con figures in 2011. Although true "comic con" exclusive figures date back even further to 1999.

I don't think TLG has ignored the comments of some of its most loyal fans. SDCC is a time for them to market to a very valuable audience. Even the very, very small backlash they receive from people creates publicity for them. We have to realize that this forum is a very small portion of the LEGO collecting world, it's also primarily built of AFOLs. Thus, the negative comments directed towards SDCC on these forums have, in my opinion, been construed to be the viewpoint of the entirety of the LEGO collecting world, when in fact they are not.

The publicity that LEGO generates through these exclusives far outweighs the very small outcry of rage it receives. Exclusives generate publicity which in turn generates revenue for the company. Not only are they appealing to the masses at comic con they are also appealing to those of us that can't make it. Looking at this thread alone the amount of press that these exclusives has created is remarkable. It makes the front page of brickset, eurobricks... heck it even makes it on the wall street journal.

Lets not just look at it in a negative light... here's a positive spin to all of this that I think is actually true... LEGO is a company, therefore they will do what is best for them to increase revenue. If they can increase revenue, the variety and quality of their products can also improve (perhaps even prices). That will then, in turn, effect even more people positively than the (now compared to) small SDCC "fiasco" did negatively.

• rollabarrollabar Member Posts: 15
    If they mass produced the sets, they probably wouldn't be very popular because people only seem to either want them because they are exclusive or to own all of a themes sets', which does not mean they actually really care for the set. Also, they wouldn't make these minifigures if it weren't for SDCC, we know LEGO only makes exclusive minifigures like Martian Manhunter, the Iron Patriot, and The Collector for promotions. Its either this or they don't exist at all most likely.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    Every new story I see on the front page makes me cringe as I expect to see something that I'd love to have but never will, but so far (as a DC fan) it's been a sigh of relief each time. Keeping fingers crossed it stays that way!
    Pictures of the Star Wars Exclusive "The Ghost" have now emerged:

^ is that a new droid? Figures. I don't really collect anything from Star Wars, except the droids.
    Exclusive Unikitty too?!

Looks like I picked the wrong year to stop reselling (and sniffing glue too). Gonna need to sell some items to pay for these guys.
    dannyrww
  • hechenbhechenb United StatesMember Posts: 32
    Soooooo sad that I cannot go... But I would like to have one of the SW set, if anybody have more let me know:)))))
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited July 2014
    ^^ I think it's already been said, but thought i'd reiterate, that I don't think ALL of these reveals are exclusive sets to con-goers, but exclusive reveals, i.e. some, perhaps many, to be available in regular sets next year. Like Azog was. At least that's how I understand/hope it to be.

I do hope the classic batmobile isn't Adam West's (and the only iteration it'll ever get), as I reaaaaally want an original Adam West version as a proper set complete with figs (a bit like they've done with 'Back to the Future' and 'Ghostbusters').
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,976
    legomatt said:

^^ I think it's already been said, but thought i'd reiterate, that I don't think ALL of these reveals are exclusive sets to con-goers, but exclusive reveals, i.e. some, perhaps many, to be available in regular sets next year. Like Azog was. At least that's how I understand/hope it to be.

Very good point. We shouldn't jump to conclusions before we know all the details.
    chuckp said:

There's no mention of the quantity of the exclusive figs or how they will be distributed in the WSJ article. That's the real key to the whole "exclusive" thing. If they made 1,000 of each fig that would help ease some of the tension surrounding the SDCC give-aways.... maybe?

In the write up on the home page they mention the following below. I would not bet against that, as they did the exact same thing last year. They may change up the method a little as to they get handed out (tickets, badges, fight to the death etc.) but I would be on the quantities per day at 250 for the exclusive mini-figs

"The two other sets that will be sold at the LEGO booth have also been announced - they will be a Batmobile and a Star Wars 'Ghost' ship, both priced at USD $39.99 each and limited to 1000 items, 250 per day"

sidersdd said:

Exclusive Unikitty too?!

Looks like I picked the wrong year to stop reselling (and sniffing glue too). Gonna need to sell some items to pay for these guys.

@sidersdd‌ - I think the mentioned that set was going to be released in January, and not exclusive to the con?
    samiam391 said:

sidersdd said:

Exclusive Unikitty too?!

@sidersdd‌ - I think the mentioned that set was going to be released in January, and not exclusive to the con?
    The way I understand it, the set on the right, with Angry Kitty, is to be released in January. The other Kitty is probably an exclusive. Dunno of course, and like @legomatt reiterates, these may become available in future sets. It's just an "exclusive" reveal. Which can be painful when you drop $500 on something you believe to be truly exclusive in availability to the con, only to find out 3 months later you can get it in a $20 set.
    andhe
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,188
    How much stock do people put in pre-orders on eBay? There appears to be several listings already.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,702
    Dear God more stuff you wish you could buy, but the vendors already bought them and are selling at 5 times the price; not cool Lego :/
    Well, the one that I have looked at says you pay when item is in their hand. Not before, so nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Just not happy with the starting prices.
    edited July 2014
    vwong19 said:

How much stock do people put in pre-orders on eBay? There appears to be several listings already.

Yeah, I considered it. I just don't know what stops a seller from mysteriously not pulling through with getting one at the show, negating your deal. When actually what happened is they saw the figs fetching much higher prices than what their deal with you was locked in as. Then they just relist it later for a higher price.

Plus, I'm waiting to see if hopefully more info is revealed about which of these are truly exclusive.
    edited July 2014
    I know everyone wants the super rare exclusive from Lego, but since I will make attempts at Hasbro and Marvel booths, are there people who want obtainable stuff like T shirts or more widely-available-easy to carry exclusives. I may be able to offer my services for those things... Please don't ask me to pick up a giant helicarrier as I won't... I did it one year and that was just stupid. Just throwing it out there since I am going and can't really offer anything else other than photos and comments.
    joel4motionsidersddandhe
    That SW ghost isn't a micro fighter correct?

I am hoping the other exclusives are not SH...*super nervous
    Mojoest
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Geddes said:

Both sets last year, the mini figs were available after

In both cases the minifig was already available when the sdcc sets were released.
    CCC said:

Wasn't Jek 14 unique? And Luke in the mini landspeeder unique from nycc in a similar set.

Nope, it's the same as #75018
    samiam391 said:

People have had this argument for years, even since the first release of sd/ny comic con figures in 2011. Although true "comic con" exclusive figures date back even further to 1999.

I don't think TLG has ignored the comments of some of its most loyal fans. SDCC is a time for them to market to a very valuable audience. Even the very, very small backlash they receive from people creates publicity for them. We have to realize that this forum is a very small portion of the LEGO collecting world, it's also primarily built of AFOLs. Thus, the negative comments directed towards SDCC on these forums have, in my opinion, been construed to be the viewpoint of the entirety of the LEGO collecting world, when in fact they are not.

The publicity that LEGO generates through these exclusives far outweighs the very small outcry of rage it receives. Exclusives generate publicity which in turn generates revenue for the company. Not only are they appealing to the masses at comic con they are also appealing to those of us that can't make it. Looking at this thread alone the amount of press that these exclusives has created is remarkable. It makes the front page of brickset, eurobricks... heck it even makes it on the wall street journal.

Lets not just look at it in a negative light... here's a positive spin to all of this that I think is actually true... LEGO is a company, therefore they will do what is best for them to increase revenue. If they can increase revenue, the variety and quality of their products can also improve (perhaps even prices). That will then, in turn, effect even more people positively than the (now compared to) small SDCC "fiasco" did negatively.

I have seen this argument and I suppose I just have my doubts on the extent to which giving away SDCC exclusives really helps market TLG. Appearing at SDCC I understand absolutely. And giving away stuff is clearly part of what it takes to generate a buzz at the Convention - but could the same outcome not be achieved by giving away preview figures in exclusive packaging rather than unique figures?

I also question the extent to which the Convention crowd is a valuable audience. How is it valuable and why? Is it more valuable than the long-term fans of Lego that currently spend thousands of £ on their product each year that have expressed dissatisfaction with the exclusives?

I would be very interested in hearing from someone from TLG who would be prepared to discuss this with fans. It's a slightly different point and I don't about anyone else but I feel the level of engagement with the wider community has suffered over the last couple of years.
    andhe
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,467
    ^have you ever been to any comic cons? I go to UK conventions and the amount dropped on stuff like Lego is insane, I'm even saying that as a collector who spends a fair bit. I've seen people pay over RRP on sets that are available in stores at conventions, generally the 'exclusive' sets from nerd friendly themes, e.g hobbit barrel escape. There's a lot of money in it for them, I really hope TLG start doing some of huge UK conventions too.

As much as I get disappointed that the SDCC/NYCC exclusives are very unlikely to ever make it into my collection I like exclusives. As a collector I think it's good to have something high to aim for.
    vitreolumMojoestrollabar
    Shib said:

^have you ever been to any comic cons? I go to UK conventions and the amount dropped on stuff like Lego is insane, I'm even saying that as a collector who spends a fair bit. I've seen people pay over RRP on sets that are available in stores at conventions, generally the 'exclusive' sets from nerd friendly themes, e.g hobbit barrel escape. There's a lot of money in it for them, I really hope TLG start doing some of huge UK conventions too.

As much as I get disappointed that the SDCC/NYCC exclusives are very unlikely to ever make it into my collection I like exclusives. As a collector I think it's good to have something high to aim for.

But are the people spending on Lego at the various comic cons existing fans of Lego or are they new? To make this a huge marketing success it would need to be people in the latter category.

I agree with you that as a collector it's nice to not simply be spoon fed the collection - that's why I've got nothing against figs in games or as bonuses for a certain amount of spend direct with TLG. I also think a collection should be achievable which is why I'm anti the SDCC exclusives. (Unless I choose to not buy my kids shoes for a couple of years).
    I'd say it's both, obviously there are those that are already collecting and go to Lego's booth to get the exclusives etc, but then there will be the life long fan of Gaurdians of the Galaxy who's only really going for the interest in comics, heard about TLG doing a promotion with Rocket Racoon and goes to them specifically because of that.
    Shib said:

I'd say it's both, obviously there are those that are already collecting and go to Lego's booth to get the exclusives etc, but then there will be the life long fan of Gaurdians of the Galaxy who's only really going for the interest in comics, heard about TLG doing a promotion with Rocket Racoon and goes to them specifically because of that.

It would be interesting to know (and I appreciate there probably is really no way of knowing) how many of those GotG fans then develop a wider interest in Lego following the convention.
    I've heard plenty of people buy Ecto-1 and get into more Lego as a result. It's definitely worth the investment for TLG, not just for winning new fans but also maintaining relationships with the existing who attend these events.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 987
    Forget what I said above about sighs of relief - I only just saw that one of the sets is an exclusive Batmobile. This article states that it is the Adam West Batmobile, please let this not be true.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,203

Not only that, but Lego claims to dislike the secondary market but then does something which only succeeds in feeding it. It's rank hypocrisy.

I thought LEGO dislike the secondary market for current sets that they are still selling, where people buy from LEGO direct at a discount and then undercut LEGO's prices.

That is not the case here.

These promo items clearly create a large buzz for LEGO. If they re-released them all in sets within months of the convention then people will learn that it is not worth attending the convention for the chance to get the exclusive minifigs.
    sidersdd
  • DoubleDDoubleD Oklahoma, USAMember Posts: 488
    People go to comic con to spend money. There is nothing wrong with what lego is doing. There are all type of exclusives from all type of companies there. Yes not everyone can get one, but it not like this is the only thing lego makes that is limited. It is just as hard if not hatder to get some sets like the tour exclusives.
    vitreolum said:

Geddes said:

Both sets last year, the mini figs were available after

In both cases the minifig was already available when the sdcc sets were released.
    CCC said:

Wasn't Jek 14 unique? And Luke in the mini landspeeder unique from nycc in a similar set.

Nope, it's the same as #75018

Thanks. It is not a figure I have, as I'm not interested in that side of SW. BL lists it as unique, although now I can clearly see you can easily swap out the parts.

The Luke one is unique though, isn't it, due to the head.
    Who is going? Maybe by some miracle we can band together and combine manpower to help some of our fellow Bricksetters to obtain these Exclusives... At least the $40 sets. Obviously the give-away minifigs are every-man-for-themselves as i am already planning to eBay them (buying not selling).

My plan for day 1 morning at SDCC... Pick up trolley at 5a and arrive at SDCC at 5:30. Wait in line outside probably 1000+ people deep already until 6:30a. At 6:30a, people are allowed to enter specific lines inside Sails Pavilion. Meet other people in line and try to kill 2.5 hrs. Wait in line to get inside Exhibit Hall until 9a. Walk/run to Lego booth and wait in line and hope to be among first 100 people to snag ticket to buy exclusives. If I fail then repeat on Day 2, but get in line earlier...

In all likelihood, Lego will probably only let you buy 2 exclusives, which may force one to decide between exclusives. Unless the method to obtain these this year happens to be far simpler don't expect these to come cheaply.

The line for the exclusive give-away is usually later in the day, but the line grows to be about 5000+, hard to gage when it wraps around buildings for about 1/2 mile. One has to again wait in line for at least 1 hr, with probably a 5% chance that your raffle ticket is a lucky one.

With all this waiting maybe we can meet in line and rant about how this sucks or share our collecting stories and creations.
    sidersddchuckpLego_Staryys4u
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited July 2014
    CCC said:

The Luke one is unique though, isn't it, due to the head.

That's not unique either, it's the same head from #8092, basically the same minifig with the new hairpiece. The only difference is one is listed with stud recessed, one hollow. To me at least that's completely irrelevant, and I believe the recessed one is a variant in #8092 as well.
    CCC
    vwong19 said:

My plan for day 1 morning at SDCC... Pick up trolley at 5a and arrive at SDCC at 5:30.

Anyone picking these up for others deserves a bonus!
    sidersddAdeelZubairchuckp