Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any Magnet Collectors out there?

LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
I was thinking it might be helpful to start a Bricklist of magnets and have them listed by those that have removeable minifigs and those that have glued minifigs.

The reason this idea came up was I had 852948-1: Female Minifigure Magnet Set still on card and ready to sell, until I found out the minifigs could be removed. Yeah! I decided to keep this set. Since then I've thought about getting other magnet sets but I found it difficult to find out which ones are glued and which ones aren't. I think a Bricklist would not only help me, but other collectors as well.

So, since I don't have a magnet collection (yet) but would like to creat a list... I was hoping if some Brickset members could help me out with the breakdown, I'd be happy to create and manage the Bricklist. Anyone?

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    I think its more simple and more complex than that...

(The simple) - Those magnets that are glued state so on the back of the packaging. If it doesn't state that it's glued, then it probably isn't. The female minifigure magnet set was not a glued set. PoP was not a glued set. In fact, most all of the older sets (prior to Jan 1, 2011) were not glued if I'm not mistaken.

(The complex) - You have to have the package in your hands to verify whether it's glued or not. Some reviews of some SW magnet sets that are now up for sale at Lego indicate they are glued and some recent reviews of those same sets indicate they are not. I was at a Lego store back in October and they had many SW magnet sets that were not glued (per the employee). He stated that those that were would indicate it on the back of the set.

Hope this helps...
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Okay, so if I read correctly, what you are saying is there may be some fuzzyness when it comes to some sets depending on when they were made/sold? If a certain set was made before Jan 2011 it was not glued, but after Jan 2011 it was glued...

Looking at the current sets for sale on LEGO [email protected] all the magnet sets say "Minifigures are not detachable from 2x4 bricks" except for the LEGO Holiday Scene Magnet 853353....

Hmmmm...... guess I gotta think this one through a bit more.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,033
    edited November 2011
    @Legogeek I was thinking the same way as you, and put together a guide for glued and non-glued magnets. See here: http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/06/glued-and-non-glued-lego-magnets/

But as Farmer_John said; there is some fuzzyness. The guide is still useful though because it lists magnet sets by the year they were first released. Those that have an earlier release than 2011 and never had any re-release, will always be non-glued, those that have been released in 2011 are always glued, and those that have re-releases can be either glued or non-glued. So at least it gives you something to star with. ;)

If the set is a rel-release, than it can be fuzzy (especially if you buy online). Online stores may receive an old stock that is non-glued, but don't bother to distinguish them from the new stock. The only way you can be sure is if the seller physically checks the exact magnet set you order for the notice at the back. Yeah, not very likely it will happen. :(
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Akunthita sums it up well...

Ultimately, you have to read the back of the packaging to be 100% sure.

That said, there are still some SW magnet sets on sale (even at the B&M stores) that are not glued. Most likely old stock. Some of those sets may now be on sale through [email protected], but the only way to tell for sure is order and read the packaging, and return it if it is indeed glued.

One other quick way to check the [email protected] items is to look at their review. If they are reviewed with only one star, then they are likely glued. If not, then you have a chance of getting them unglued, but it's a crap shoot...
    Thanks guys!

I think I'll still try to compile a Bricklist. I will provide a link to @akunthita's list.

BTW - anyone know if a Bricklist will appear right away, or if it takes some time. I started one out, and wanted to see what it looked like, but nothing shows up yet.
    Okay, so I figured out what I was doing wrong and finally was able to create a list. Still have some editing to do, as well as have a question.
    http://www.brickset.com/brickLists/?6234

The minifig magnets from 2006 - Are they actually magnetic minigs or are they attached to a magnetic base? I don't have any and I can't tell from the package photos. The set numbers are:
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 967
    Most of the sales that are going on right now on SW Lego are NOT glued. It is very easy to tell by looking at the packaging if the magnets are glued or not. If you see an extra 1X2 on the magnet, that particular magnet is definitely glued. If not, then the minifig is not attached to the magnet. I just purchased a bunch of SW magnets last week on clearance that are 100% detachable from the magnet.
    @akunthita - took a look at your guide again, and answered my own question from above ^^. It's been a hectic day and was trying to do too much in a short time...

@teal93mr2 - thank you for the further info!
    edited November 2011
    @teal93mr2 the 1x2 plates are only on magnet sets where there is something on the back of the minifig that would prevent it to be flush with the surface (like large helmets, or the katana holder at the back of the Ninjago figs). There are no non-glued (pre-2011) magnet sets with the 1x2 plate, so yes, they will always be glued. However not having any 1x2 plates is not an indication that the magnets are not glued. The only way to tell is to read the description at the back of the packaging. Again; all magnets that are new for 2011 are glued. The only ones that are selling right now that are not glued are old (pre-2011) stock that is still being sold at stores. Hope this helps some. (c:
    I think I've pretty much finished the Glued vs Not Glued Minifig Magnet Set Bricklist.
    http://www.brickset.com/brickLists/?6234

A big round of thanks and credit goes to @akunthita who already has a guide on his website over at thebrickblogger.com:
    http://thebrickblogger.com/2011/06/glued-and-non-glued-lego-magnets/

His guide was indispensable in creating the Bricklist, and my job would have been a lot harder without his guide.

Besides the 3-figure sets I have also included several single-figure and holiday sets.
    The actual status is still unknown for a few of the sets, so if anyone knows for certain if they are glued or not glued, please let kme know. The sets in question are:

852742: LEGO Holiday Magnet
    2855167: Holiday Santa Magnet 2010
    853353: Holiday Scene Magnet

Thanks to everyone that helped out.

@Legogeek, nicely done! Love your list! BTW, I'm a gal...(c;
    @akunthita ~ Oops! Sorry 'bout that. ...now how do I make a blushing smiley?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    I specifically phoned and asked a shop assistand whether or not 853353: Holiday Scene Magnet is glued and they replied "yes". I do have my doubts however, since I have read something somewhere about "building your Father Christmas magnet".
    @akunthita ~ Oops! Sorry 'bout that. ...now how do I make a blushing smiley?
    Hey, no problem! No need to blush! I'm aware that we are a minority, but our numbers are growing steadily! (c;