Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Predictions on Discontinuing Sets and their Secondary Market Value

Comments

• Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    I wonder if the Pet Shop is going to suddenly disappear. People have made a ton of assumptions about how long each modular is going to stay out, but based on very little information. I'll be picking up an extra. I'd still like three of each. They are great for parts and you can certainly build your own mod mocs.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 762
    Maybe they won't retire in the order they were released? Almost everyone seems to have a downer on the Town Hall, so maybe that will be next to go?
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923
    ^As we discussed maybe a week ago, PS is superior for parts and stamping out the half modular-sized buildings in lots of variations. I expect it to be out of stock often, but not retiring until maybe this time next year. And the new modular introduced later this year, will impact it too.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    Wow - I had no idea there was so much drama going on around here. I for, one think the whole bunch of you are pretty awesome. Here's a hug to the entire forum...
    juggles7
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^I don't need anyone telling me how awesome I am; we all know that I am ;) I'm sorry if that sounded a bit "dickish" :) Hopefully only 27% of you was offended. I will shut up now and go find something red to stand next to.
    cloaked7RonyardougtsStormKitty
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,007
    This thread has always been an interesting read for me; I'm kind of 'neutral' on the whole idea of reselling so it's easy for me to see both points of view. However, I've been really amazed it's taken so seriously by some re-sellers, but I guess that's only logical if you're investing heavily in something. To me Lego will always be a hobby, and something that should be fun. The moment it becomes stressful, that's when I'll call it a day.

And, before I forget, thanks to everyone who's posted bargain finds in the last year. I've bought several sets for me, friends and family, and have some really spoilt (and happy) nephews & nieces!
    FollowsCloselyitsnotme
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,834
    edited June 2014

My thoguhts exactly. Corner buildings (especially ones that were designed to be expanded with two sets) will always command a premium IMO and I know stock levels for GE are alot lower than FB. Will be very interesting to see where we are in 1 year for both sets.

I guess it depends on how you display. If you display in a row on a narrow shelf, then corner ones are a pain.
    FollowsClosely
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    I think I'm done with my GE purchasing so for those in South Florida... Sawgrass is out and claims it's done and they won't be getting more. Aventura Mall has two cases left and says it'll be around until the end of the year.

Clear as mud... but if anyone wants one... have at it.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    edited June 2014
    rocao said:

Nope, sorry. Both sides of the argument were giving as good as they got; for every comment about greedy resellers there was one about whiny crybabies to accompany it.

The fact that the Tower Bridge deal was posted elsewhere and not here, would seem to suggest otherwise.

Wow - I had no idea there was so much drama going on around here. I for, one think the whole bunch of you are pretty awesome. Here's a hug to the entire forum...

And a great big hug right back to you! :)
    brickupdate
    Pitfall69 said:

^I don't need anyone telling me how awesome I am; we all know that I am ;) I'm sorry if that sounded a bit "dickish" :) Hopefully only 27% of you was offended. I will shut up now and go find something red to stand next to.

I'm standing by for 5 minutes to take those off your hands...
    Back to the topic at hand...

I think GE will do ok, but not as well as many hope. It is just one more building in a growing line of buildings, at some point most people aren't going to collect all of them, so what do you leave out?

FB is a fire station, it will do well for years. PS is a great split design, great parts, for all kinds of reasons. TH? Terrible, I think it will do worst of all.

TH and GE fall into the same box for me, take them or leave them, when the next corner building comes out, you'll have PC and whatever that is, you won't need GE.

Might do ok for a year or two until the next corner comes out.
  • bp10030bp10030 europeMember Posts: 102
    GE #10221 with sold out listed at [email protected]
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 931
    But dont forget europe just got another shipment of #10221 after 2 months
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    bp10030 said:

GE #10221 with sold out listed at [email protected]

Are we talking GE or SSD? Both are Sold Out on [email protected]

I'm sort of hoping that like Steve says, there is another SSD shipment on it's way to the US. Even though I will have to probably skip it due to the cost. I remember seeing GE (and before it, FB) disappear from shelves only to make a brief (month or so) reappearance.

Back to the topic at hand...

I think GE will do ok, but not as well as many hope. It is just one more building in a growing line of buildings, at some point most people aren't going to collect all of them, so what do you leave out?

FB is a fire station, it will do well for years. PS is a great split design, great parts, for all kinds of reasons. TH? Terrible, I think it will do worst of all.

TH and GE fall into the same box for me, take them or leave them, when the next corner building comes out, you'll have PC and whatever that is, you won't need GE.

Might do ok for a year or two until the next corner comes out.

There will always be people that will want every Modular Building. There are always people trying to relive their childhood and they will pay big bucks for expensive retired sets.

I agree with you about the Town Hall, but I think Market Street is hideous, yet people are still wanting that one to complete their collection. Only time will tell.

I wasn't really big on the Tower Bridge. It is an iconic landmark, but I would really love a minifig scale bridge. I'm not talking about the TB, but maybe something similar. I think that would be awesome. Every city or train layout needs a bridge.

Bumblepants
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    ^ But couldn't Tower Bridge be modified to minifig scale? I mean technically none of the modulars are exactly realistic. The Cinema Palace only has seating for six patrons. More like Home Cinema.
    ^Any Lego set can be made into anything you want. I would like a bridge with a crank to lower and raise the bridge and have the option to add Power Functions; much like the Mixer.
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited June 2014

The fact that the Tower Bridge deal was posted elsewhere and not here, would seem to suggest otherwise.

You must be trolling because any rational person can't draw that as a logical conclusion. In case you aren't trolling, I'll give you an example of how to draw logical conclusions:

- Two people have identified themselves as having known of the deal and didn't share it here.
    - Person A joined the forum May 2011. He has posted a total of three deals. The most recent one was April 2012.
    - Person B joined the forum Feb 2013. He has posted a total of four deals. The most recent one was May 2013.
    - The event you are citing as the cause for non-participation happened January 2014.
    - Person A had not posted a deal for 20 months prior to that event.
    - Person B had not posted a deal for 7 months prior to that event.

I logically conclude that Person A's and Person B's lengthy non-participation prior to January 2014 suggest there may be factors other than the event you cite as the reason they haven't posted any deals since.
  • iluvmyelementiluvmyelement Member Posts: 52
    According to the rep at [email protected] they will be getting in more GE's by August 1st. She indicated that would be the last shipment (from what she was told)
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 1,037
    ^ you lost me.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    There was a Tower Bridge deal? Dang it. Wish I had known. There's a 27% chance I would have taken advantage of it!
    FollowsClosely
    I may be the oddball. Hummm... Okay, I am an oddball. :-) Oddball or not, I have posted a few deals in the past. But, I haven't done so in a long time for a couple of reasons. 1 - from my perspective there are far fewer deals worth taking advantage of, so why bother, and 2 - I am buying A LOT fewer LEGOS now due to reason 1 and am not very interested in deals, which means I'm not seeking them out or active enough in LEGO buying to learn about them.
    Ronyarbrickupdate
  • RonyarRonyar Member Posts: 373
    ^ I'm in the same boat. I'm not buying as much new Lego, and I'm not finding deals worth posting. (I don't find it worthwhile to post unless sets are at least 27% off...) And I don't really want to post about really good Craigslist deals, as those aren't really ones I can share... :) But, if I do find something worth sharing, I certainly will. And if anyone else finds a good deal and shares, I'm always grateful!
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,923

According to the rep at [email protected] they will be getting in more GE's by August 1st. She indicated that would be the last shipment (from what she was told)

I was told the opposite, that they likely are done (in the States). The Cleveland store manager said though that some of the large brand stores, like Chicago or NY Times Square will order and ship for you, if your home store and [email protected] are sold out and they have stock.
  • AmbroiseAmbroise FranceMember Posts: 14
    Matthew said:

How long does everyone think the GE has got in Europe?

It seems GE is available at Lego retail price in several online places in Europe (including [email protected]) . So, although some eBay prices have already increased, I would bet for several week at least. But it is very hard to predict.
  • exciter1exciter1 Member Posts: 226
    edited June 2014
    I've posted deals here several times in the past. For the most part, I've found users here don't care about the deals as much as folks on other forums, or they aren't courteous enough to acknowledge the deal or post updates to their finds and experiences. The deal threads here are very low traffic compared to other deal forums I've been a part of.

As for the Tower Bridge deal, I knew about it, but I didn't get any, since the deal came and went twice before I could place an order. It was available for like 5 min during 2 different periods.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,172
    edited June 2014
    With LEGO's recent history, I would not be surprised if GE gets one last 'push' and has one final batch in the US before it is gone for good.
    One way or another though GE is likely gone by end of year (That is, sold out everywhere)
    exciter1 said:

I've posted deals here several times in the past. For the most part, I've found users here don't care about the deals as much as folks on other forums, or they aren't courteous enough to acknowledge the deal or post updates to their finds and experiences. The deal threads here are very low traffic compared to other deal forums I've been a part of.

As for the Tower Bridge deal, I knew about it, but I didn't get any, since the deal came and went twice before I could place an order. It was available for like 5 min during 2 different periods.

I think plenty of people acknowledge deals on this forum. I also did not realize the sole motivation for some reporting deals is to have people kiss their feet for providing such information.

The bottom line is: If people do not want to post deals, fine. But that is squarely on them, do not try to blame anyone else. That is their right to not say anything if they wish, but then they should not post onto a thread here and boast about how they are backing up a trailer to pick up their bounty or talk about how they got multiple orders, or filled up multiple carts, and bought out all the stock they could etc.

I think many people should know that people are thankful for such information. Do people not always voice their appreciation? Sure, but do people open doors for others, or help out an elderly people to put stuff in their car, only for a 'thank you', or because it is nice for them to do?
    I guess some people require this sign of gratitude or they will not help out others, which is kind of sad IMO, but to each their own I guess
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    exciter1 said:

I've posted deals here several times in the past. For the most part, I've found users here don't care about the deals as much as folks on other forums, or they aren't courteous enough to acknowledge the deal or post updates to their finds and experiences.

I wonder how much of the lack of updates and experience is owing to the fact that what used to always happen is "thanks for posting this, got X# of them" would soon be followed by 27% of the Timmy-loving forum angrily out with pitchforks that the responder had the audacity to buy more than what they consider his or her right.

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    This forum is for posting memes and poking fun at others, not for posting deals or serious reseller discussion...get over yourselves.

The next exclusive set will likely go in the USA next month or two.....fill your boots...those on my 27% mailing list know what to buy...good luck and good trades!
    LegoFanTexasminicoopers11

This forum is for posting memes and poking fun at others, not for posting deals or serious reseller discussion...get over yourselves.

The next exclusive set will likely go in the USA next month or two.....fill your boots...those on my 27% mailing list know what to buy...good luck and good trades!

Wait wait wait. WHO brought up the TB sale AFTER it was over (at least you suggested people that knew about could price correct at Walmart CS, Ill give you that) , and WHO brought up they are taking their trailer to Walmart?
    If I am not mistaken you brought this on.. and now you are going to sit there and say what is the big deal and 'get over yourselves'?
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    IMO I did not bring anything "on". If folks on this board think this is the place to scoop hot deals then they have alot to learn. I was under the impression it was a place for retirement countdowns and to mock resllers. Prepping the trailer....
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    which set should we start the countdown for?
    #10188 or
    #10214 or
    edited June 2014

IMO I did not bring anything "on". If folks on this board think this is the place to scoop hot deals then they have alot to learn. I was under the impression it was a place for retirement countdowns and to mock resllers. Prepping the trailer....

I beg to differ. YOU brought up the set was on sale in this thread, ergo you started this mess:

Looks like the Tower Bridges are shipping. If anyone had any cancelled call Walmart and they should price adjust back to $148.79 and fill the order since they still have stock. Taking my trailer down to the local store next week to pickup...another good year :)

For arguments sake, you are right. This is not a thread for sales. But then one has to ask why was a thread not created to post this wonderful sale? Anyone can add a thread, and my guess is your fingers are not broken, as you are responding to people now.

Maybe the admins need to anchor a thread for LEGO sale postings at the top of the discussion list and note that it is ONLY for reporting the sale, appreciation to those who reported it, and if the sale is over or items are sold out. Also a note to leave the reselling stuff and how many you bought, etc, out of that thread and that anything posted as such would be removed.

which set should we start the countdown for?
    #10188 or
    #10214 or

I dunno about 'countdowns', but as GE and SSD show, these could run out any anytime before end of year IMO.
    I would also add #10228 and #10235 to the list as well.
    Also 60026 Town Square is now listed for 'Call for product availability'. Same with the 60015 Coast guard plane.
    Now this is only 'call for availability' so who knows if it is on the way out, or someone at LEGO gaffed with the description. Would be a bit surprising as I think the TS just was released, but it is an exclusive (in the US anyway) and you never know how long those last (That and TRU probably has as many of those left as they did the City Garage sets)
    There won't be a witch hunt. It's merely food for thought. If you have a clear conscience about the amount of information you are sharing, most likely you are doing fine.
    I'd be surprised if TS retires. That thing is always flying under the radar.

IMO I did not bring anything "on". If folks on this board think this is the place to scoop hot deals then they have alot to learn.

Your common refrain of "noobs", "lots to learn", etc. is very tired, particularly considering your track record of being flat-out wrong and flip-flopping when that was the case.

Perhaps people do have a lot to learn, but you're clearly not a willing teacher. Obviously you and I have different opinions on which of those should be admonished.
    JamesJT

It is true, there are some people that can't stand resellers, but they were told to avoid this particular thread. I think most of us understand why the 27% is kept a secret and that is why a lot of us were joking about it. I thought that you had at least took the ribbing in stride. I personally don't think the previous "trailer" comment was bad, but I can see how some would take it the wrong way. The "prepping the trailer" comment was unwarranted, especially if you want people to appreciate you and not be angry with you. If you don't care; that's up to you.
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    Does this 27% thing work in the uk lego website or is this just a us discount??
    @doriansdad‌
    This thread is mostly for speculation and not for reporting sales anyway, but you did mention that another Exclusive is going in the next 2 months. Care to give us some insight on what set that will be?
    prevere said:

I'd be surprised if TS retires. That thing is always flying under the radar.

I would be too because in the US it just a TRU exclusive; but weirder things have happened to store exclusives in the US. (See #9465 and #3222).
    Actually seeing that it is available in other countries still at lego.com I'm guessing it is not done yet.
    Pitfall69 said:

Prepping the trailer....

I personally don't think the previous "trailer" comment was bad, but I can see how some would take it the wrong way. The "prepping the trailer" comment ...
    Oh snap. I thought "prepping the trailer" was in reference to getting ready for a huge 27% party that was going to take place. Errrr... in the trailer! So, there isn't a party? Whew, and I thought I didn't get an invite because I'm not one of the 27%.
    minicoopers11
    cloaked7 said:

Pitfall69 said:

Prepping the trailer....

I personally don't think the previous "trailer" comment was bad, but I can see how some would take it the wrong way. The "prepping the trailer" comment ...
    Oh snap. I thought "prepping the trailer" was in reference to getting ready for a huge 27% party that was going to take place. Errrr... in the trailer! So, there isn't a party? Whew, and I thought I didn't get an invite because I'm not one of the 27%.
    Well, all you guys are welcome to come over my place for a party!!!

• bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 505
    I bet the red and white is the lego room.
  • nkx1nkx1 Member Posts: 719
    I'm curious why the 27% thing is such a secret. Unless it's illegal or unethical, why not share the knowledge? Otherwise, why brag about doing something illegal/unethical?
    Milne44
  • Milne44Milne44 Member Posts: 112
    nkx1 said:

I'm curious why the 27% thing is such a secret. Unless it's illegal or unethical, why not share the knowledge? Otherwise, why brag about doing something illegal/unethical?

Does this work in the uk?

• cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^^ because if everyone started doing it it's more likely to get noticed and the loophole shutdown. He might also have a nice commercial advantage over his competitors as well.
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,385
    Pitfall69 said:

It is true, there are some people that can't stand resellers, but they were told to avoid this particular thread.
    I'll be honest, I only read this thread to sit back and read up on all the off-topic shenanigans you people get yourselves into ;o)
    scrumperminicoopers11LegoFanTexas
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    edited June 2014
    Oh man, I think there's a lot of people here that would do well in politics if the reselling market ever collapses. :)