Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Fusion

binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,750
I suppose this was inevitable:
engadget.com/2014/06/19/lego-fusion/

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,296
    "For most kids, if you simply give them a pile of bricks and tell them to build something, they go blank," says Pedersen.

I have never found that. When my kids have had friends over, they never have had any prompting needed when it comes to playing with lego.
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    As an alternative to that quote, it has been my experience that if you give most kids a pile of bricks and DON'T tell them to build something, they'll go ahead and amuse themselves for hours by building whatever they want.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    From mashable.com
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,750
    I believe these are the set numbers:
    #21204 Town Master
    #21205 Battle Towers
    #21206 Create & Race
    #21208 Resort Designer
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,697
    Any idea how it works? Looking at the pictures I'm trying to envisage some sort of augmented reality that matches what you've built to something 'in game'. Sounds similar to the 'Life of George' concept?
  • mindfieldsukmindfieldsuk Member Posts: 11
    Hmm,
    The way I read it. e.g Battle towers.
    If you want to build a tower in the game you have to build it with with real bricks, use the camera to load it into the app. The App would then apply attributes dependant on the design (defense/offense etc.) then use it in game?
    Interesting concept. Not sure how it's going to be managed but it's still like a puzzle where you try & figure out the optimal design from the games design.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    It's good that TLG are keeping an eye on these things, but ultimately they just come off as gimmicky and pointless.
    Natebw
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    "For most kids, if you simply give them a pile of bricks and tell them to build something, they go blank," says Pedersen.

Totally wrong. Kids will immediately build towers, houses, geography, whatever. I see it every day in my waiting room with the Duplo table.

My kids really like Life of George (even if the tech is imperfect) and I bet they would like this, but I actively discourage phone/tablet games over real-world building.
    The press release has been posted at Eurobricks.

The section about availability is interesting:
    LEGO FUSION Town Master, LEGO FUSION Battle Towers, and LEGO FUSION Create & Race will launch in August 2014; LEGO FUSION Resort Designer will launch in September 2014. Each will be available for $34.99 in LEGO Stores and Toys”R”Us stores in the U.S., as well as online at shop.LEGO.com and at toysrus.com.
    If they are available only from LEGO and TRU, it's unlikely they'll be discounted much (at least in the US) unless they're a flop. That's too bad because the Battle Towers set looks like a pretty good parts pack (including sand green masonry bricks).
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,473
    edited June 2014

If that quote were really true I would weep for humanity.
    And if this is going on in their test groups they need to seriously look into why those kids could not build something with a pile of brick

Maybe they should market this instead to senior citizens or those who have their creativity scrubbed from them by Adulthood.
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    This sounds like a very interesting concept actually. But from the wording of the press release, it seems to me anyway that we're not going to see these outside of the US. Of course I could be wrong, but it seems like these are going to be at least as scarce as MBA (and the numberings of the Fusion sets immediately follow on from those) everywhere outside North America. If I've missed something though, correct me :-)

If that's true though, I think LEGO will be missing a trick. I, for some reason, can't imagine the app supporting 4th gen iPod touches either (it is the only thing I have that can have apps), like I've noticed so many recent apps that seem to have stopped the compatibility with the device. But I digress...

But on the positive side, I congratulate LEGO for expanding in what Life of George started, that being a blend of real world and virtual play. The racing one is particularly interesting to me actually. I wonder how well these will do.
    C'mon, everyone, embrace the spin. If you're in TLG's marketing group, what are you going to tell the media?

A) "LEGO Fusion gives kids the inspiration and incentive to be creative!"
    B) "Games like Skylanders and Disney Infinity have been extremely successful with those in our core demographic, who are moving away from physical play toward mobile gaming. LEGO Fusion mimics the novelty of physical objects tied to digital representation while keeping the LEGO brand and experience relevant in the digital age."
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,979
    Everyone's talking about how their kids don't reflect the kids Ditte Bruun Pedersen is talking about, but have any of you considered that kids who have grown up in a LEGO-loving household might not be representative of all kids in terms of how quickly they take to LEGO building? I've known a lot of kids (and adults, too) who might be considerably more daunted by a pile of bricks than your average KFOL.

That's part of the reason why regular sets include instructions and inspiration material: to show kids what they can do with the bricks, something they might have more trouble figuring out if they were just handed a random brick assortment. In that regard, turning building into a game or challenge is just an alternative way of motivating kids to build their own creations and possibly help them break the habit of simply mimicking what they see on the box or instruction manual.

Anyway, this is a cool concept. I know things like this are something the LEGO Group has been trying to work on for a long time: something that really integrates physical LEGO building into a digital gaming experience. So I hope this does well and paves the way for even greater advancements in the future.

I'm a bit sad that the baseplates aren't the same style as in the LEGO Juniors sets, since I love the modular design of those, but I suppose these ones are better-suited to building a 2D facade and having a camera recognize the base.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,985
    I would say my son would gravitate to the Tower Defense Game, and my girls would gravitate to the Resort Designer. I think both sound pretty interesting, and have potential.
    We did not get Life of Fred, because I felt it was too new of a tech, but I may give this a whirl.

My bigger take-away from this, though, is that they are continuing to delve into and improve the virtual/physical brick element. There are definitely some cool possibilities as they continue to go deeper into this area.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,291
    This looks really cool. I really like the look of the Tower set. Should be a really fun way to build big with a small amount of parts.
  • chuckpchuckp NYMember Posts: 684
    These sets look like they could be a lot of fun, especially the Town Master. I'm envisioning something like SimCity, but with LEGO. Yeah!

Too bad this type of tech wasn't around when the LEGO Universe game was out. I always felt the lack of connection to real building was an issue with that game. If they could have had LEGO Universe Fusion sets where you build something for the game it might have helped differentiate from all of the other MMOs.
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 106
    Has anyone acquired any of the Lego Fusion sets? What has your experience been with them? I've been contemplating upgrading my phone, and I admit Lego Fusion might be an incentive to go with one type of phone versus another.
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    I bought the car one for my son two weeks ago. It is still sitting on the dining room table. He was very underwhelmed.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,477
    While we are on the subject any word on these getting a release outside US? I'm not madly after any but I was hoping for wider release on the off chance of discounts on the castle set.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFW/BGMember Posts: 7,291
    I am tempted by the Castle one but was hoping to see a review or two before dropping $35 on it.
  • herekittykittyherekittykitty Member Posts: 122
    I just bought the resort one for my 8 year old daughter - it's to be a Christmas present, so no review for a while. I think she will like it though, she likes Sims type games on her ipad which this sounds like from the limited reviews online. She was intrigued by it in the catalog.

• plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    Have you guys seen the movies on the Lego website? I saw them a while ago, and they explain this pretty well. I'm not convinced by them, but I think they could be good with some refinement.
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    My daughter and son played one at the Orlando Lego store and they loved it. There was no building, but they got the concept. They are definitely getting one to share for Christmas.
  • Zeldafanatic15Zeldafanatic15 Member Posts: 106
    I bought Town Master beginning of this month as part of my $75 purchase. I've only had one play session with it so far, but I will say it's quite frustrating to read the model. Maybe it was my phone, I was playing on a GS3. I didn't have any of my models read correctly, it kept swapping pieces or not reading pieces. I'm going to try again on my wifes Ipad, hopefully that reads better. You pretty much build the whole world, but you're limited to only the included pieces. There didn't seem to be a lot to do other than build, which is fine, but I expected more. You can buy things with thw studs you earn to add more stuff to the town. For kids I can see getting a lot of enjoyment out of this. For me, meh. It's enjoyable, but lacking.