Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New Set Rumors

Comments

• hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 863
    The detective agency idea is just wacky enough to work. The minifig potential is great, the interior decorating features are great, it fits the era and building type. Somehow i am envisioning a neon style sign, too.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,028
    I remember reading a discussion at Eurobricks which was noticing the repeating pattern of the Modulars. I don't remember the details, but I do remember that according to the pattern the next building should be a government building like the Fire Station and the Town Hall, so a Detective Agency fits right in. :)
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 949
    Modulars are exclusives, so % 27 is the best you can do.
    Pitfall69slovakiasteph
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    @plasmodium The date on top of the Town Hall says 1891. Indicating it was built in 1891.
    jasorDadcaperberry
  • burnsiderburnsider Member Posts: 75

I don't know. The Fire Station was 1930s and the Cinema could have been 50s. Town Hall was obviously set some time between/around then. I think we could be in with a shout of a type of private eye sort of detective agency.

Yet, there's a computer in the town hall.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    I have mentioned it a few times before, but I would love a Police Precinct Modular building. It only makes sense. I mostly want one so I can say: "This is CC, GG and FB. Would you like to see my PP?"
    StormKittyBumblepantscarlqchuckpjasorprevereGothamConstructionCo
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    carlq said:

...while sand in your beach cafe fish and chips, however, merely adds to the texture. ;-)

Don't forget flavour, the sand adds flavour too!

Now I am really wanting fish and chips, yeah thanks @carlq‌ lol
    carlq
    ^All because we Americans put our dirty laundry in a hamper. Hahahaha.
    LegobutterflycarlqGothamConstructionCo
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Pitfall69 said:

I have mentioned it a few times before, but I would love a Police Precinct Modular building. It only makes sense.

Probably I'm the only one no this board to say this, but a police precinct doesn't fit in line with the rest of the modulars. Yeah, yeah, I know there's a fire house and it only makes sense to have a police station to go along with it. Ok, so what? The modular series is aimed at both male and female audiences. No offense, but I just don't see that much interest in a police precinct from women.

Now I could see something more along the lines of a "private investigator" or "detective agency". Old fashioned sherlock holmes kind of thing. Maybe combine it with a magic emporium. That would be interesting. But not adult based City modular with criminals and police cars and jail cells.
    Pitfall69 said:

Mmmm, tube sock sandwiches how appealing lol
    scrumper
    oldtodd33 said:

@plasmodium The date on top of the Town Hall says 1891. Indicating it was built in 1891.

The year the buildings are "built" has nothing to do with the era they are supposed to represent. Many buildings that were built 100's of years ago are still used today by modern people. I know that the Fire Brigade has a vintage Fire Truck and the Palace Cinema has a 50's Limo/Movie Star, but one doesn't have to use those "props" That's the beauty of the Modular Buildings.

pharmjod
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    No @Pitfall69‌, dirty laundry goes in the washing machine.
    The picnic goes in a hamper.
    The hamper goes in the boot.
    And before you start, only elephants have trunks :o)
    StormKittyLegobutterflyMatthewcarlqTechnicNickjasorGothamConstructionCo
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,835

Pitfall69 said:

Tube sock sandwiches would at least come with plenty of toe jam and/or toe cheese!

Legobutterflycarlq

Pitfall69 said:

I know I'm "Pitfall", but I'm not even going to touch that one ;)

DaraghLegobutterfly
    Pitfall69 said:

Pitfall69 said:

I know I'm "Pitfall", but I'm not even going to touch that one ;)

There really is a first time for everything! ;-)
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ Often followed by a last :o)
    ^I'm not going to be goaded into making any "pitfallish" comments :)
    Legobutterfly
    Pitfall69 said:

oldtodd33 said:

The year the buildings are "built" has nothing to do with the era they are supposed to represent. Many buildings that were built 100's of years ago are still used today by modern people. I know that the Fire Brigade has a vintage Fire Truck and the Palace Cinema has a 50's Limo/Movie Star, but one doesn't have to use those "props" That's the beauty of the Modular Buildings.

I know what you are saying. I was saying the architecture was representative of 1891. I know it has a computer in it. I own the set. My point was the age of the building, not the year it was set in. Obviously with a computer the time frame must/should be current. I don't remember the interior of Fire Brigade but I assume people are still using it in modern times, just like some of the stations around here. Though I can think of at least 1 that is now a karate studio. It has 2 stories but is pretty small, especially for today's larger trucks.
    Pitfall69 said:

^I'm not going to be goaded into making any "pitfallish" comments :)

See @rancorbait‌, ye of little faith, he is not 'pitfalling' off the wagon on this one
    Pitfall69
    ^ We'll see, I'm not done yet....

"Hello Pitfall. You don't know me, but... I know you. I want to play I little game"....

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! :oP
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 260

I don't know. The Fire Station was 1930s and the Cinema could have been 50s. Town Hall was obviously set some time between/around then. I think we could be in with a shout of a type of private eye sort of detective agency. I'm thinking the type of police/detectives you would expect to see trying to track down Al Capone. Maybe a car chase with some bootleggers or something, or am I getting too excited? ;-)

One can hope!

Though the pumper depicted a '50s Mack B, so Fire Brigade is still '50s.

This detective agency sounds cool, but a police station would make more sense.
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    If it's a detective agency, I hope it comes as a three-flat with with street sign identifying it as Baker St and house number 221(with units A, B & C). I'd be particularly interested to see the detailing in 221B
    GreenArrow57
    Hahaha. You take that pony everywhere don't you?
    Pitfall69LegobutterflyStormKitty
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 539
    @SirBen I totally agree with the address and period. That would be very interesting. And what would A & C have in them, exactly? The books never say (at least, that I can recall).
    @Pitfall69‌ Very nice hamper. Out of interest, what do you call the thing you've put your picnic in?

OK, I've just remembered (I'm smarter than the average bear), it's a pic-i-nic basket.
    LegobutterflyStormKittyPitfall69carlqGothamConstructionCo
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 551
    ^ If I recall correctly, I believe A (the ground floor) would have an old lady living it in.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    cody6268 said:

I don't know. The Fire Station was 1930s and the Cinema could have been 50s. Town Hall was obviously set some time between/around then. I think we could be in with a shout of a type of private eye sort of detective agency. I'm thinking the type of police/detectives you would expect to see trying to track down Al Capone. Maybe a car chase with some bootleggers or something, or am I getting too excited? ;-)

One can hope!

oldtodd33 said:

I know what you are saying. I was saying the architecture was representative of 1891. I know it has a computer in it. I own the set. My point was the age of the building, not the year it was set in. Obviously with a computer the time frame must/should be current. I don't remember the interior of Fire Brigade but I assume people are still using it in modern times, just like some of the stations around here. Though I can think of at least 1 that is now a karate studio. It has 2 stories but is pretty small, especially for today's larger trucks.

Good points. I just saw "old truck" and put it about 1930s. And I didn't know about the computer in Town Hall! I was going by the old-fashioned looking camera that one of the minifigs has. Anyhow, as @Pitfall69 said, they can be as date unspecific as you like, so maybe my idea wasn't so great. :-)

• legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    edited June 2014
    @Pitfall69 I knew it ...the fast cars ...home gym ...all that working out... and he packs a banana with his underwear. ;o)
    Pitfall69carlq
    SirBen said:

^ If I recall correctly, I believe A (the ground floor) would have an old lady living it in.

Sadly, the ground floor currently houses the Sherlock Holmes Museum gift shop.
    legomatt said:

@Pitfall69 I knew it ...the fast cars ...home gym ...all that working out... and he packs a banana with his underwear. ;o)

I might have guessed it would be you bringing the conversation down with talk of underwear...
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I can actually see them making a detective agency over police precinct...it would definitely add the romantic flare that modulars seem to carry.
  • carlqcarlq Ruislip Manor, MiddlesexMember Posts: 792
    SirBen said:

If it's a detective agency, I hope it comes as a three-flat with with street sign identifying it as Baker St and house number 221(with units A, B & C). I'd be particularly interested to see the detailing in 221B

It would be nice...but there's always the possibility of it being a 1930's Philip Marlowe/Sam Spade/Maltese Falcon-type detective office, with seedy trenchcoated male 'tec, mousy bespectacled secretary (who is beautiful really, but the 'tec never notices) and vampy, Jessica Rabbit-esque femme fatale as the client.

My personal choice would be a remake of the cartoon "Inch High, Private Eye", with a specially-painted trophy-fig to represent Our Hero....;-)
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 942
    jasor said:

I can actually see them making a detective agency over police precinct...it would definitely add the romantic flare that modulars seem to carry.

I was thinking the same. It would be cool to have a couple of detective minifigs huddled around a board with newspaper clippings tacked to it with the latest movements of John Dillinger, or something to that effect.
    I was picturing a building like Pet Shop where the detective is on one side and something else is on the other. Maybe the detective could be on the top floor and something else on the bottom.
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^I was 'meh' at the potential of a detective agency. That is until you mentioned the client may end up being Jessica Rabbit, the hottest animated woman I've never met. "She's not bad, she's just drawn that way..."
    jasorcarlq
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    oldtodd33 said:

I was picturing a building like Pet Shop where the detective is on one side and something else is on the other. Maybe the detective could be on the top floor and something else on the bottom.

This is a good point. I wonder if they do another half-footprint modular so soon after PS, though? I say that as if the PS is recently released. hahaha. nevermind.

I would love another half-footprint modular.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 943
    scrumper said:

No @Pitfall69‌, dirty laundry goes in the washing machine.
    The picnic goes in a hamper.
    The hamper goes in the boot.
    And before you start, only elephants have trunks :o)

Thinking of elephants, here's a logic test:

Q: How do you get an elephant into a fridge?
    A: Open the door, put the elephant in, close the door.

Q: How do you get a Tiger into a fridge?
    A: Open the door, take out the elephant, put the Tiger in and close the door.

Q: All of the animals in the jungle are asked to attend a meeting, which one is missing?
    A: The Tiger (it's in the fridge!) :-)
  • DadDad UKMember Posts: 814
    Jf you ask @Carlq to think of an elephant, all he'll see is #4904.
    carlq
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 616
    ^^I'm sorry, that's incorrect. Everyone knows that only 27% of an elephant will fit in a fridge.
    TechnicNickPitfall69Lobothoyatablesjasor
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,241
    jasor said:

I would love another half-footprint modular.

They should consider releasing a couple half-footprint ones individually maybe one at a time in between the bigger ones. Would be a good addition to have more 16 wides to mix it up with PS.

Pitfall69canon03pharmjod
    I don't know if they should do single 16 wide sets, but I wouldn't mind another set like PS. When I think of a detective, I think of an office on an upper floor at the end of a lonely set of stairs in a seedy part of town. I don't know how well that would work, having the main object of the theme at the top of a building up a set of stairs though. I also couldn't tell you what the other side of the building would be either. I'll have to think about that.
    That's what detective agency is to me too (I think Dirk Gently though rather than Spade/Marlowe). The other half can just be a house like PS but whatever is on the ground floor below the detective would presumably be the main theme of the set.
    I was thinking a coin operated laundry on the first floor and maybe an old book store on the other side. I was thinking something else too, but these are Lego sets.
    scrumperFollowsClosely
    I think we've had enough about laundry in this thread already.
    oldtodd33Pitfall69Legobutterfly
    ^I just stopped by the laundry mat to grab some dinner :)
    Legobutterfly
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 260

cody6268 said:

One can hope!

oldtodd33 said:

Good points. I just saw "old truck" and put it about 1930s. And I didn't know about the computer in Town Hall! I was going by the old-fashioned looking camera that one of the minifigs has. Anyhow, as @Pitfall69 said, they can be as date unspecific as you like, so maybe my idea wasn't so great. :-)

The county courthouse here was built sometime in the late 1800s. Many of the buildings in that town are still in use, and are all around that time frame and date back to just after the Civil War, and some are a little before.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    cody6268 said:

The county courthouse here was built sometime in the late 1800s. Many of the buildings in that town are still in use, and are all around that time frame and date back to just after the Civil War, and some are a little before.

You don't tell me about old buildings! I live in Exeter - our Guildhall (town hall) has been here since 1600. ;-)
  • GreenArrow57GreenArrow57 GBMember Posts: 71
    carlq said:

...while sand in your beach cafe fish and chips, however, merely adds to the texture. ;-)

What do you think they put in the batter?!

carlq
  • glendoglendo Member Posts: 22
    everyone is talking about year stamped on the roof of the TH... doesnt everyone remember the reason behind the date??

the 1891 stamped in the top of the TH is a hommage to the DOB of Ole Kirk Christiansen. this was said in the video release of the TH by Astrid, the designer
    TXLegoguyyys4ulegomason