Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Would You Buy As Much LEGO As You Do.......

ChompersChompers Member Posts: 658
edited November 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
If you weren't on Brickset? With the mass of deals around at the moment and the fab info available on here + the ease of pushing a few buttons to obtain it, would you buy the volume of LEGO you do if you didn't have Brickset.

I for one probably wouldn't. Having come out of the "Dark ages" at the begining of the year, I have a bit of catching upto do. I started with the Technic theme (Yes I know!!!) + a few City sets for my boy but have found myself buying Agents, Power Miners and Ninjago of late + the odd 10xxx set & Creator. There have been some very good deals SW set recently but I am doing my very best not to get sucked in. Albeit I have the part sets of several older SW sets from recent "job lots"

The thing is with the constant offers around and upto date info from here, I can see that it is only going to get harder not to buy more!!!

Just wondered what you all thought?

Comments

• Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 541
    My enabler when it came to buying more Lego was two things: finally having a good income and discovering eBay. Brickset has been tertiary in influence to these other two factors, but it has been very, very useful. When I lived in Chicago last year, it was especially so. Out here in the middle of nowhere South Texas, with nary a civilized outpost for miles and miles, the "drive" to buy Lego (much less order them online to be delivered) is dulled in me somewhat. Move me back to civilization, like Houston, and that's a different story.
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I found this site when I was trying to find the value of my old 392 Formula 1 model. I also started buying Technic sets (thought they seemed more "grown up"). Brickset info and reviews definately sparked more interest. Castle lego was something i always wanted as a kid and then I saw Alien Conquest...
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    I would not have bought as much Lego if brickset was not around, but I would have spent the same amount of money (if that makes sense). brickset has allowed me to maximize my purchasing power... like when Target had specific polybags on sale for 39 cents. Found out because of brickset... and was then able to gain white ninjas for me and for holiday donations and class projects in bulk :) instead of just owning a few of the polybags.

I do think that having this wonderful community, being connected with AFOL neighbors and AFOLers from across the pond, has made my purchasing not feel as awkward as it first did when exiting my dark ages.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    I've been able to make more informed purchases, by reading about upcoming sets and what people think in the forum. I don't get any info on sales because I'm not in the UK or US, but when we get a sale in NZ I can do a bit of research and get all the details on the set before I purchase.

But I probably wouldn't have gotten into the Alien Conquest theme if it wasn't for Brickset, so yes, I probably have spent more than I would have.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    I refer to this forum and then Bricklink. Before then I was just another retail sucker haha. Now I buy everything with research and when it's on sale or in bits through BL. Thanks also to www.bricksdownunder.com.au too ;). You've kinda saved me money but I do buy more now :D so hmmm....
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    I can't say. I would tend to be more pennywise, as I read everyone's advice and opinions when buying certain sets; meaning I'll tend to spend less.
    However, the more I read these topics, I more I'm tempted to buy more Lego sets, which makes me want to spend more.
  • stagusstagus Member Posts: 256
    I don't think I would be buying as much. In the past couple of weeks I have been deal shopping due to info on here. Got the container ship yesterday and 2x£100 orders today, bought elsewhere based on forum info (not from a shop I had ever used before) and bought from TRU. I don't even want to add it all up but around 10,000 pieces have been added to my collection!
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    no, definitely no, I would not buy so much...
    I am even thinking of cutting the amazon bargain page deals... ;)
  • legonut80legonut80 UKMember Posts: 314
    I'm starting to get a little worried at the amount i'm buying, or i should say spending on offers, the run up to christmas has had plenty of offers that you just can't say no, then it's the sales after christmas that's going to be interesting, i seem to come across offers a little too easy at times
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    I have already reached the "stop using every deal that comes along"... Sort of. :)

The after Christmas specials is what is going to do me in I think... :)
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    I would not have spent anywhere near the amount I have in the last year if it was not for Brickset and Bricksdownunder, as Jasen mentioned. Finding out I can order from amazon.fr with no taxes and minute shipping costs has cost me close to $500 a week for the past few of months. The pricing was compounded by all the discussions of quality sets and possible discontinuation on brickset.

A good example is that I had never heard of MMV (and still to this day have never seen it in an Australian store) until brickset.Once I checked it out and felt I needed it I had a look on ebay. It sells for AUD$200+ regularly and I was thinking of paying that, until I saw it on amazon.fr and got it delivered for under $100. Now I have 3 of them. Oh yeah, and 3 Deathstars.

I don't blame the sites though, as I would have probably spent the same amount of cash as I have, but just have less LEGO. I have transferred my spendings from going out hitting up pubs and clubs and quit smoking which would have probably set me back the same. I always tell my partner I can give up LEGO and go back to smoking if she wants. I guess I have grown up, settled down, and become a sensible adult, who is now obsessed with toys.
    Ha! I love it, "grown up, settled down, and become a sensible adult, who is now obsessed with toys"

:)
  • RobbRobb Member Posts: 144
    I had to stop viewing the boards at bricksNtoys because I was out scouting for deals this summer on a nearly daily basis. Now I restrict myself to Brickset, but even that may be too much.

Like others have said, I've saved a lot of money off MSRP, but I've also spent more than I would have if I didn't hear about the constant deals. More sales = more LEGO = more discounts but also more money spent
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 658
    Interesting replies guy's!!! Have to say I am in the same poistion as most here. Find it very hard to resist and am always on the look out for deals. Can't beleive how I stayed away for so long :)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Yep, can't resist a 'bargain'! And the more I hear about other people's collections the more it doesn't seem ridiculous to spend a grand on Lego in one month. It is ridiculous of course!!
    @Savage_Steel - only $1,000 a month? :)

But yea, I know what you mean...
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Actually, that's $1500 at current exchange rate! ;-)
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Ha! I love it, "grown up, settled down, and become a sensible adult, who is now obsessed with toys"

:)
    The quote of the thread haha

• atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Brickset has accelerated my spending beyond measurable means, enough said!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,414
    ^ I have to concur - it's getting ridiculous !
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    I wouldn't buy as much as I do if there wasn't a thriving aftermarket for these sets. For example: tt is easy to justify buying the UCS Imperial Shuttle for 25% off when you know that you could make your money back if I decided I didn't want it and sold it on eBay. And of course, for some sets, there is the "investment value." That if you buy 2 modulars at a TRU BOGO50 sale, that they retain their value, or increase in value.

Recently, I have been getting into Gundam models too. One BIG thing keeping me from really spending money in that hobby is that there is no real aftermarket. The number of people who collect these is small, the older sets don't retain much value because newer sets are much better, and because once you build a set, you can't really unbuild it as you do LEGO. Most of the value is in the process of building.

Also... to echo everyone else's points above, getting news on deals helps spur on more purchases, and seeing how much everyone else buys is validating. For example, I posted my Black Friday haul, and have been enjoying hearing from others who bought even more than I did:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2201/what-was-your-black-friday-lego-haul

Thanks everyone!
    -Dan
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited November 2011
    ^^ Ditto - I did manage to reduce it pretty effectively in Aug-Sept, but this latest round of reductions had some offers which were "too good to miss". It'll be interesting on Boxing day.
    ^ The thing about investments is that they're only investments if you get a return on them. If you don't sell any then it's a collection, not an investment :)
  • nodnarb162nodnarb162 Member Posts: 58
    I am not an adult :P And do not currently have a steady income :P So I can rarely take advantage of the great deals around here, but I do usually save myself some money and buy from ebay instead of pay a ton extra to get it direct from TLG, my twin and I bought the Imperial Flagship for $170 on ebay with free or cheap shipping (dont exactly remember) when it would have cost us $180 + tax + shipping which probably would have raised the price closer to &220- 230. Hopefully we will be able to find a job soon and then we can start using the deals on here :D