Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10244 Fairground Mixer

1234568»

Comments

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    I don't see how effective logistical compartmentalization negates the points I brought up.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    edited June 2014
    Shib said:

^I'm still of the opinion that the term modular that was thrown around unofficially with regards to this set was misunderstanding. I think it was meant either to describe the fact that the set has several elements that can be used together or separate or (and what I hope is more the case) that this is the first set of a 'modular' funfair/carnival. I don't think it was ever intended to be part of the modular buildings line but the fact that it was announced as part of the Creator Expert and someone used the word module or modular somewhere along the line lead to a lot of confusion...thats my two cents on it anyways.

Just noticed this "Modular Build" stamp on one of the new city arctic sets and I think that the term modular was used in a different context like with this set, but again used unofficially and added confusion of people wanting it to be a modular building.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,653
    Good spot. Here it seems to be almost the opposite of the modular buildings. If I understand it right, the modularisation makes it easy to construct parts which go together to make the bigger model.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,318
    ^^ I think that has appeared on City sets for a while, and as @CCC said above, it refers to the fact that the set is built in sections (one per numbered bag I believe) before being assembled to form a larger model.
    madforLEGO
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited June 2014
    ^ Yep its nothing new - I've noticed it on a few sets for a while now. #60003,#60013 and #4204 The mine for example but Im sure theres plenty more.

Theres a lot of similarites with the modulars - its part of a city theme, its minifig scale, its expert, its in the same price band, its not a sculpture type set. If someone was trying to categorise it it would make sense to me to talk about it in the same way as a modualr - I can't think of any recent set closer to them.
    I think it's just one of those things that worth remembering whenever anyone uses the word modular that there are different meanings dependant on the context.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    ^ not unlike "ultimate."
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 765
    Which motor would you recommend to add pf to this? Or doesn't it matter too much?
    I notice that Lego have one listed with a motor on the shop site, but having no motorising experience I wouldn't know if that's the best choice or just the easiest for TLG to sell.
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 765
    Sometimes the motors seen under powered to me. But i don't want to make all my minifigures ill either!
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,057
    I've tried the standard motor. It turns the mixer at a good enough pace. The XL would be overkill IMHO.

I wonder if this all in one pack from Lego has instructions for an official build regarding the motor housing. There's no downloadable PDF so far.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,005
    The box and instructions show what motor you can use. At the end of instruction book 3, there are instructions on how to add the motor.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,922

^ not unlike "ultimate."

Or "Exclusive"
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,057
    ^^ Ah. That's me not being very observant. My little lad built our mixer so I never looked at the instructions.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,005
    Just been building the mixer whilst I'm working away from home. I started with bags 2 and 3 which are the main mixer. I have to say that I love this set (I'm not sure whether I'm lucky picking the right Lego sets but recently I'm loving all the sets that I've been building! May be I'm just easily satisfied......!!!). The build was fun, although naturally repetitive at times because of the three coloured sections. Its really clever how the whole thing comes together. The finished model is really big and very sturdy. I can imagine children are able to play with this set and not too many things breaking off of it. I'm looking forward to building bags 1 which are the bits and pieces that go with the Mixer. I'll be motorising it sometime soon.

Whilst I don't own the Grand Carousel (yet - I am gathering the pieces over time), I think this is a different type of Lego Set. I really hope its the beginning of a series of transporting fairground rides because I love this.
    Lego_StarcheshirecatCCC
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^Yep I built the mixer with my 8 year old and we loved it. So clever and just really nicely done as well as being very sturdy. I was a bit disappointed when it was first shown having expected something more like the grand carousel but having built it I have nothing bad to say about it at all.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    ^ and ^^ Really enjoyed building the mixer, I just sat there grinning like an idiot thinking how clever the build is all the way through bags 2 and 3. I was completely blown away by one step in particular. Jamie has done himself proud on this one. Ingenious!!!
  • TK2012WSWTK2012WSW United StatesMember Posts: 37
    edited February 2015
    Just wanted to say thanks to the people who posted about the Power Functions and also for the related videos. The Jangbricks video definitely swayed me to get a motor for this set.

I wish that it was included, but ultimately Lego is a company and the goal of any company is to get sales, so it doesn't bother me too much that it wasn't. It would have increased the price even more had a PF been included. By not having it included it didn't force people to shell out even more for something that could be optional as an additional purchase.

While putting this together, I kept thinking of other things that could be added like a GAME ALLEY that could include things like...
    *Balloon Dart Game where you throw darts to pop balloons
    *Bottle Ball Game where three bottles are placed in a pyramid and you have to knock them off the counter.
    *Plate Ball Game where you throw the ball to break the plates
    *Water Gun Clown Game where you shoot the water into the clown face to make the balloon expand
    *Horse Race Game where you roll balls up an incline into holes and the horse advances to the finish line
    *Ring Toss Game where you throw the ring onto the tops of a bottle.
    *Skee Ball, too!
    There's so many classic fairground games that could easily be created to go along with this set. Also, add some new printed/colored teddy bears hanging around the edges as prizes.

I've read the posts about how this should be a city set and not a creator set, but after actually buying it and putting this together, there's a lot of greater detail to the vehicles along with the gears and use of hinges that make this set less about City and more about "function" which I think justifies the Creator label regardless of it being set to a minifigure scale.

And, I might buy a few more pieces to make the fencing corral a little larger, too, but it doesn't bother me that it was smaller. The thing I like about most Lego sets is that it allows me to see where I'd like to make my own improvements vs. expecting all of my wants/desires to be included automatically.
    hewman