Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

is LEGO not making their own boxes for 2012?

thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
edited November 2011 in Everything else LEGO
whe you open the box it says Gbox

Comments

• andheandhe UKMember Posts: 3,202
    It's probably just some patent on the materials/box mechanics.
  • LEGO_NabiiLEGO_Nabii Member Posts: 34
    This is the LEGO 'green box' project. All boxes have been reduced in size to reduce environmental impact of the packaging and bring down transportation costs (fuel burning). Don't worry about it, TLG are just proud of it!
    Aanchir
  • julian977julian977 UKMember Posts: 65
    hooray for smaller lego boxes!
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Win win for the environment and my quickly diminishing Gorm space. :o)
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    Also, for what it's worth (and I could be wrong...), LEGO has probably never printed their own boxes. Most companies do not.

Brent
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,570
    ^^ Amen to that - for the (rational) consumer, the LEGO company and the environment this is a hugely welcome development.
  • Silber334Silber334 Member Posts: 147
    ^^Exactly, most manufacturers outsource box production to cut back on costs. It's cheaper to order boxes from another company than to have your own division that makes them. If that's the case, it would cost more to design and make a prototype on your own. So that's a win win for Lego and the outsourcing company.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I definitely welcome what they've done with this, but they do seem to have been selective in recent years, e.g. Tower Bridge is in a surprisingly compact box, whereas the police station is in one of those old school massive-footprint boxes (same footprrint as Vladeks castle and airport monorail for example). Seems that they've been more inclined to reduce AFOL boxes than the kids ones. I hope they end up reducing all the boxes, not just the AFOL ones.
  • warrenelsmorewarrenelsmore Member Posts: 77
    @Si_Dorking_Surrey_UK - it will be all boxes, in fact I've seen both types of boxes for the same set in TRU. I would imagine that the Police Station, being a guaranteed popular set, had a massive production run sometime in 2010 - so those boxes have been around a while.
  • kylejohnson11kylejohnson11 Member Posts: 508
    @thebrickster which '12 set was that. My Police Pursuit did not have that stamp.
  • brickbuilder711brickbuilder711 Member Posts: 14
    @thebrickster which '12 set was that. My Police Pursuit did not have that stamp.
    4432 Garbage truck has the design. I haven't checked my box but I'm sure it's on it.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    Seems that they've been more inclined to reduce AFOL boxes than the kids ones. I hope they end up reducing all the boxes, not just the AFOL ones.
    The Winter Post Office as well, seems pretty small compared to my Toy Shop. I haven't got the Toy Shop or Bakery on hand to do a comparison, but all are (+/- £5) the same price point, and similar sizes.
  • thebricksterthebrickster Member Posts: 63
    @brickbulider711 it was the garbage truck