Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

[US] Amazon: BOGO40 off select LEGO, up to 47% off MSRP

13»

Comments

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    mathew said:

^ Are you sure they are in the same shipment? I would imagine that the fact that you ordered them on separate days that they will come in separate boxes. Just wait and see before you tear them apart. Amazon is still by far the best retailer currently around.

Your comment assumes that I've never dealt with Amazon before. I wouldn't "attack" them if they didn't merit it, and Amazon definitely merits it in my experience. Historically, sets I purchase from Amazon almost invariably arrive at my house damaged to some degree. Because of their laziness, greediness or clumsiness, I get to waste a bunch of time sending sets (or other items) back to be replaced (IF they still have them in stock). I knew exactly what to expect from Amazon when I got separate shipping notices for both orders within a few minutes of each other. The first thing I did was check the tracking numbers for both orders, and sure enough they were the same.

Ironically, the shipment arrived while I was typing this comment. The saw was in great shape...because it was cushioned by the Lego sets bookending both sides of it. What a surprise!

The only good thing I have to say about Amazon is their RMA process works.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited May 2014
    ^ Did you choose Prime shipping? I have a hard time believing that with 2-day prime that they would package two separate orders placed on different days in the same box. But what do I know. For what it's worth I've never had to return an item to Amazon due to poor shipping. Maybe it's warehouse specific?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2014
    ^ Count yourself lucky. I don't keep track, but over the years I would guess I'm at a 15% return rate on Lego boxes bought from Amazon.

I thought about getting a pair of #70404, but for me even at 60 I'm not sure that is a great deal. That set is pretty miserable IMO, and looks junior-ized: block-y and simple.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed this castle. The asymmetrical towers look awkward as if they met the required piece count and then moved on. I'm waiting to see Lego design a really nice "bucket" style castle that uses 1,500-2K pieces and LotR building techniques (like Helm's Deep).
  • starwarfan77starwarfan77 Member Posts: 341
    edited May 2014
    mathew said:

I thought about getting a pair of #70404, but for me even at 60 I'm not sure that is a great deal. That set is pretty miserable IMO, and looks junior-ized: block-y and simple.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed this castle. The asymmetrical towers look awkward as if they met the required piece count and then moved on. I'm waiting to see Lego design a really nice "bucket" style castle that uses 1,500-2K pieces and LotR building techniques (like Helm's Deep).
    will this series last till the next black friday that would be the deciding factor. but if it does then definitely there will be better deals to be had.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    edited May 2014
    mathew said:

^ Did you choose Prime shipping? I have a hard time believing that with 2-day prime that they would package two separate orders placed on different days in the same box. But what do I know. For what it's worth I've never had to return an item to Amazon due to poor shipping. Maybe it's warehouse specific?

It very well could be warehouse specific as you say. It's kind of frustrating to hear how well Amazon does for others, yet I'm now on a first-name basis with the UPS man who picks up their returns.

Interestingly enough, my usual modus operandi is to wait until Amazon ships a Lego order before I order anything else (which also indirectly results in Amazon losing business from me). I considered this could happen when I ordered the table saw a couple days later...but then I thought there's NO WAY they will package a table saw with a couple Lego sets. Doh!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,284
    ^ Just a thought (and it's a shame you'd have to resort to this), but rather than waiting for the first Prime order to ship, if the 2nd order is eligible for "FREE shipping" (super-saver) via ground, that seems like a surefire way they'd ship separately.
    TheLoneTensorpharmjod
    ^Thanks...I will have to try that.
    edited May 2014
    Relating my own experience from yesterday: I received Black Gate x 4 (placed as two orders of 2 qty) all shipped together in those huge flat-pack boxes that maximizes the surface area the LEGO boxes share with the outer box. Of course they were crushed, and Amazon was out of stock for replacement.

In the past, I've waited for a restock before the return/replace window closed, but since these are parts draft fodder for our LUG, I contacted customer service and received a courtesy credit for the damage.
    Farmer_John
    On the plus side, my table saw was more than adequately protected and arrived in great condition.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    I wish Amazon would use LEGO to protect all of their shipments.
    lordzarakMathBuilder
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    edited May 2014
    There isn't a week that goes by that I don't have a stack of boxes on my porch from Amazon. We get damn near everything we own from there and I have never had a problem with any of my shipments. Yet, my buddy who lives three houses down has received several Lego shipments from Amazon now that looked as if they had been dropped from low orbit.

So... I really think ones experience with Amazon just boils down to dumb luck. I've been lucky so far. My friend... Not so much.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,118

^ Count yourself lucky. I don't keep track, but over the years I would guess I'm at a 15% return rate on Lego boxes bought from Amazon.

I think there is a high amount of variability in Amazon shipping/packing quality depending on your location and the DC used. My experiences in buying hundreds of sets from Amazon have pretty much been 100% perfect.
    mathew said:

I'm waiting to see Lego design a really nice "bucket" style castle that uses 1,500-2K pieces and LotR building techniques (like Helm's Deep).

Prepare to wait awhile...

^ I don't expect Lego to unless there is a movie license attached. Which is kind of sad. The generic Lego castles are borderline Playmobil in design (nothing against Playmobil).
    oh I totally agree. for some reason LEGO seems to think every standard Castle theme they put out needs to be juniorized.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,085
    I cant wait for Amazon to start shipping via drones. Just think of the stories we will get to tell! (I had to use my 20 ft extension ladder to get my package out if the tree....)
    ^Amazon obviously didn't think the drone thing through very well. Where I live it's hard not to imagine people using them for target practice (with a free gift for those with the best aim). The most popular bumper sticker I've seen around here is: "Drive faster, I think I hear banjos!"
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,250
    Well I would say this is really the first Castle line (at least the Castle)that appear junior-ized lately. The Kingdoms line was not bad at all. I think LEGO just phoned it in with this castle line due to not wanting major competition to the LoTR and Hobbit lines, but that is just my opinion.
    Depends how far back you want to go. These were quite juniorized and underwhelming, IMO: http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Castle/subtheme-Knights-Kingdom-II
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,250
    True, back in 05. There have been two castle lines I think since then. So i think 'Lately' applies. :-)
    I'm thinking we were all a little spoiled by both the LOTR castles and sets like MMV and MVR, etc., which all added a bit more depth and realism to the line. They were about as adult as Lego castles have ever been. Even the (really nice) Kingdom's Joust straddles the line a bit.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,354
    I agree. The Castle theme before the current one, was pretty good. If you bought the Kings Castle, a few MMVs, a couple Mill Village Raids and a Kingdoms Joust, you could set up a pretty awesome diorama.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 860
    Pitfall69 said:

I agree. The Castle theme before the current one, was pretty good. If you bought the Kings Castle, a few MMVs, a couple Mill Village Raids and a Kingdoms Joust, you could set up a pretty awesome diorama.

Hee hee -- I did exactly that (along with a few of the smaller "filler" sets that I nabbed on a nice e-Bay auction), and have them stored up in the attic for a "rainy day", preferably with my daughter when she's old enough.
    Pitfall69
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    Didn't want to create a new thread for it, but Amazon has a free $10 promo code (to use before 7/31) if you buy a $50 gift card.
    The Catch: you must be an Amazon Student Member..
    edited June 2014
    2 Millennium Falcons, 2 Pirate Ship Ambushes, 2 Dol Guldur Battles, 2 Dragon Mountains, 1 box.

Every. One. Crushed.

Thanks Amazon.
    Pitfall69
    ^ Everything I received was ok. A few dings here and there but normal for shipping.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,240
    ^ Wow. I was surprised on the order consolidation when I got mine yesterday. 2, dol guldur battle, 4 black gate, 2 elf army (and a big wad of brown paper that appeared to do nothing). Nothing crushed.
  • dragwitdragwit Member Posts: 26

2 Millennium Falcons, 2 Pirate Ship Ambushes, 2 Dol Guldur Battles, 2 Dragon Mountains, 1 box.

Every. One. Crushed.

Thanks Amazon.

Wow. I am in a way that finances for me only let me order a few sets, a few days apart. Mine came in great condition...but that was because it was only 2 sets on one day, 2 sets a few days later...
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 943
    Received six shipping boxes in total....all perfect!!!

Every. One. Crushed.

Thanks Amazon.

My Elrond Council was crushed. My Black Gate wasn't.

• BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257

Every. One. Crushed.

Thanks Amazon.

Same story, different contents. Yes, sure, the deals were smokin, but the UPS guy could barely manage the box and there was hardly a sliver of packing paper. Now the AT-TEs look like they deserve to be about half off. :P
    edited June 2014
    Btw, when you order from Amazon BOGO, you have to return both. You can't just return one without contacting customer service. After a bit of discussion, they offered 30% off everything, which I have to admit, made me content. I wasn't looking forward to repacking them and going through the same crap again (you know they would have shipped it the same way a second time). I like closure, and that was a fair offer. Also, They would have just refunded me anyway, since most of the sets aren't offered by Amazon right now, so had I not taken the discount, it would have been a massive waste of my time.

Of course, I'd still have rather had it shipped properly in the first place. Why is this such a difficult thing?
    ^Honestly, I would pay a little more for perfectly packed boxes every time.
    FollowsCloselyTheLoneTensorjuggles7
    edited June 2014
    There's your mystical "27%" off. But seriously $56 falcons even if the box is mangled is a steal.
    cloaked7

Every. One. Crushed.

Thanks Amazon.

You don't happen to live in my neighborhood, do you?
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    edited June 2014
    mathew said:

There's your mystical "27%" off. But seriously $56 falcons even if the box is mangled is a steal.

Sweet! "27%" has made it over to this thread. Will there be other sightings?

Pitfall69
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    From Amazon, we get 27% of(f) ... packaging :)