Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Classic Pirate

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
edited May 2014 in Collecting
The planets seemed to have aligned as:

1. in the process of reorganizing my garage boxes, I dug out some of my Classic Pirate collection last night
2. this morning I saw the Brickset frontpage had an article on Classic Pirate: http://brickset.com/article/11319/classic-lego-sets-pirates
3. today is "throw-back" thursday

For your viewing pleasure :)
carlqvitreolumBumblepantsHangedSanchezBrickarmoraimlesspursuitschuckpBuriedinBricksyys4uCombeePitfall69carabino

Comments

• graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    Thtats awesome that you have them all in Box. I love the ships but never really cared to add the forts to my collection.
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    They just don't make sets like they used to :o)
    bobabricks
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 7,019
    Or pack them like they used to...
    rancorbaitmadforLEGObinaryeyered5pharmjodyys4ubobabricks
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,258
    I just spent a few days cleaning up an Imperial Trading Post I got a killer deal on. After hours of Oxy Clean and toothbrushes and rinsing and repeating, to see one in such immaculate condition is especially awesome.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 874
    What a great article. Classic Pirate was the last group of sets I collected before my Dark Ages, and between my brother and I we had the initial wave and some of the second wave (including Rock Island Refuge I think). Black Seas Barracuda was my last set, and what a way to go out. Only set for which I kept the box.

When I liberated my childhood LEGO a couple of years ago, I started my rebuilding with the BSB, followed soon after by the Caribbean Clipper and El Dorado Fortress. Love those sets, and the two ships sit on our basement family room fireplace mantle along with the Imperial Flagship (the recent one). They are so amazing that even my wife loves them.

I'd love to pick up an Imperial Trading Post but it is pretty expensive (and rare, which is the bigger problem). Also, although rebuilding the ships was awesome and as fun as I remembered, El Dorado was a bit of a letdown. I guess after years of modulars and other expansive buildings, the part count was and detail seemed somewhat lacking . . . and I'm afraid of being similarly disappointed by the Trading Post. Maybe I'll try the Bricklink route . . . .
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,292
    edited May 2014

Is anyone up for petitioning TLC to bring back box with flaps and windows?

I'd be interested in hearing TLG's cost analysis.

I think it's worth exploring for large landmark sets since those are worthy of showing off with the special treatment, they are produced in fewer quantities, and the additional cost could be built into the pricing with a smaller impact.

But... if I were to petition TLG about packaging, I would much prefer they just cut down on the variety of current box shapes and sizes, eliminating the more irregular ones and especially the ones that aren't even square boxes, e.g. Friends and the latest Chima speedorz

@hoyatables : If rebuilding El Dorado Fortess was a bit of a letdown for you, I'm afraid to say that Imperial Trading Post probably won't be any different. I'm not alone when I say that El Dorado Fortress is the superior designed set.

With that said, #6277 is harder to come by, so as a collector I will always treat it with reverence.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    edited May 2014
    They still occasionally do the flap but I haven't seen windows. The #9398 4x4 crawler has a flap.
    rocao said:

But... if I were to petition TLG about packaging, I would much prefer they just cut down on the variety of current box shapes and sizes, eliminating the more irregular ones and especially the ones that aren't even square boxes, e.g. Friends and the latest Chima speedorz

I agree here plus I think any set over ~$40 (or even everything but battlepack size) should have the cardboard backing and bag for instructions/stickers.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,533

I just spent a few days cleaning up an Imperial Trading Post I got a killer deal on. After hours of Oxy Clean and toothbrushes and rinsing and repeating, to see one in such immaculate condition is especially awesome.

I got a good deal on a somewhat complete Imperial Trading Post in box, just need to take the time to remove the parts, inventory it and see what, if anything is missing.
    However, I 'bristle' at the thought of using Oxy Clean on LEGO. Though it seems to work pretty good on removing stains and brightening the sails without draining the color from them (in small portions of Oxy Clean anyway).
    I stick with soap and water most of the time for brick and plates and just replace the really bad yellowed parts.

I will say that for their time the Pirate line was some of the best detailed sets, of course this also meant a lot of time building them.
    ^The raised baseplate was severely yellowed on one side, as if it had faced the sun for all eternity. Upside down in Oxy Clean, a little peroxide, and sunlight took it right off. It doesn't look perfect, but much much better. The sails had brown stains all over them, cleaned up beautifully. I neglected to do before/after pics on any of it, though.

The Pirates line actually helped me weave in history, geography, economics, law, and politics while playing with my son. We needed more than "Arg, matey!" so we delved into the subject for several months, and we read Treasure Island together. I'm all but certain that for Xmas I'm going to surprise him with the QAR I've been hoarding, rather than the Chima whatever he'll claim to want.
    aimlesspursuitsprevere
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    Beautiful packaging. The flip top boxes added value. Lego should re-introduce this style of packaging for certain sets. Benny's Space ship is one of those sets that would be so much cooler to flip open the top and see the gleaming trans-yellow bricks.

^The raised baseplate was severely yellowed on one side, as if it had faced the sun for all eternity. Upside down in Oxy Clean, a little peroxide, and sunlight took it right off. It doesn't look perfect, but much much better. The sails had brown stains all over them, cleaned up beautifully. I neglected to do before/after pics on any of it, though.

The Pirates line actually helped me weave in history, geography, economics, law, and politics while playing with my son. We needed more than "Arg, matey!" so we delved into the subject for several months, and we read Treasure Island together. I'm all but certain that for Xmas I'm going to surprise him with the QAR I've been hoarding, rather than the Chima whatever he'll claim to want.

Yeah, I can see where the OxyClean would come in handy for that type of issue.
    I personally would rather just get another base plate without all of that sunwear on it, but that is me and I know they are not always easy to find in great condition at a good price either.

I do like Oxyclean for the sails though it works well, I just used a gallon of water about a level 1 worth of Oxy clear a drip of detergent and warm water and just let them soak in the tub in the sink for about 2.5 hours, and them came out nice. Just ned to get the creases out of them now.

The flip top boxes (with plastic window) would be good for all large sets as I think it would stop much of the pilfering going on with the new boxes.

I like any of the 80's, 90's sets, brings back the days of being at a toy store and seeing the characteristic yellow boxes that mean 'there is LEGO in that aisle' for me

Can you detail the process, i.e. N parts OxiClean to M parts peroxide, length of time, etc?
    rocao said:

@hoyatables : If rebuilding El Dorado Fortess was a bit of a letdown for you, I'm afraid to say that Imperial Trading Post probably won't be any different. I'm not alone when I say that El Dorado Fortress is the superior designed set.

With that said, #6277 is harder to come by, so as a collector I will always treat it with reverence.

Thanks, @rocao. This is really good to know. #6277 appears to be quite rare - not many copies floating around, and the few on Bricklink tend to be in Europe and not the US. I briefly looked into Bricklinking but the price quickly started to approach a full set, and that was before hitting the really expensive items like the baseplate.

I'm thinking of just trying to build the main trading post itself from my existing collection - El Dorado alone appears to give me many of the required parts. Alternatively, just bricklinking the trading post, and not the ships or minifigs....
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,093
    Even though I have each one of those sets, it still amazes me to see them in that great of condition. Love classic Pirate sets, I hope one day to own them all. I'd actually really love to post a picture of all the ships I have but I can never find enough floor space for it lol
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,147
    yys4u said:

Even though I have each one of those sets, it still amazes me to see them in that great of condition. Love classic Pirate sets, I hope one day to own them all. I'd actually really love to post a picture of all the ships I have but I can never find enough floor space for it lol

I hear ya...My biggest struggle is finding both time and space to set up my dream Pirate MOC scene. I have plans for a full Island/Harbor but can't seem to pull the trigger and get it going. Maybe later this summer some well deserved R&R will be carved out for me to do this.
    @rocao Sorry, it was very ad hoc. No recipes or even accurate measurements. A little Oxy Clean, a dash of H2O2, a clear Tupperware container almost large enough to sink the baseplate. I left all the parts in the sun for 6-7 hours, swishing or shaking every hour or so.
    Well, I gave in and decided to try to Bricklink the Imperial Trading Post. Only going to Bricklink the actual base, not the boats. And may decide to pass on getting a second elevated baseplate and instead use my El Dorado one... Hoping I can do this for about $150 - looks promising.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    edited June 2014
    ^If you are going to spend $150 on Bricklinkingone, just Bricklink everything. Might as well. Are you just wanting the structure and not worried about t being authentic? When you Bricklink parts, you may not get the correct "era specific" parts. I went through a bunch of yellow parts the last 3 days and there is quite a big difference untie tints of the yellow and mold differences.

I'm the type of person that must have the set that came in the box; otherwise, forget it. There have been so many mold changes over the years that it is just too hard for me to just Bricklink an old set.
    Pitfall69 said:

^If you are going to spend $150 on Bricklinkingone, just Bricklink everything. Might as well. Are you just wanting the structure and not worried about t being authentic? When you Bricklink parts, you may not get the correct "era specific" parts. I went through a bunch of yellow parts the last 3 days and there is quite a big difference untie tints of the yellow and mold differences.

I'm the type of person that must have the set that came in the box; otherwise, forget it. There have been so many mold changes over the years that it is just too hard for me to just Bricklink an old set.

Unless you know what to look for, there are those who know what the parts looked like back in the day during the run of that set.
    When I Bricklink. If I need a certain 'version' of a part, I ask for it from a larger store that has a lot of parts. (so ask for chairs without sprue marks or if I need thin or thick backing etc., or 'solid post' bricks, type 1 vs 2 or 3 clips or eyelets)
    Maybe it is just me because I purposefully try to get all parts of different types to closely match any old sets (as i have sold them in the past) and I definitely get the accurate parts of the set that are type 1 vs type 2 or 3 (like 1x1 eyelets and clips), 'solid post vs hallow post', thin vs thick chain backings, etc.
    But I'm not getting down to molding marks on the piece and what not. If people are really that anal then I guess there will be those that will go wanting for older sets.
    Now I will say that this is one reason why I do not try to replace new sets.. too many color combinations and part types and whatnot now for my liking.
    LEGO seems to really be micromanaging the imagination lately.
    The latest set I B'Led was Market Street. Was going to do Cafe Corner as well (as I'm rather keep mine sealed) and a Vestas Windmill but decided it was too much of a hassle after doing Market Street.
    edited June 2014
    When I meant different molds, I was referring to the part type, not the mold marks, so we agree then :)

Below are part types that came with Black Seas Barracuda. What mold type came with the original and what came with the Legends release #10040?

The sails are also different in each set. I will be doing a comparison soon.
    Pitfall69 said:

When I meant different molds, I was referring to the part type, not the mold marks, so we agree then :)

Below are part types that came with Black Seas Barracuda. What mold type came with the original and what came with the Legends release #10040?

Is this why you have been going through a bunch of yellow parts? : )
    edited June 2014
    ^Yeah, some anal Classic Pirate enthusiast is making sure that all the parts to his BSB are the "correct" parts ;) He's quite a pain in the ass if you ask me.
    It. Needs. To. Be. Perfect. (speaks in angry unikitty voice).
    edited June 2014
    Pitfall69 said:

Solid studs before hollow I believe, so originals are likely solid stud and Legend set are hollow. Hollow studs I believe are mostly a cost, and weight, cutting measure. Less plastic is used because the posts have less plastic. Sounds silly until you have to make 1000's of a part.

Pitfall69 said:

Solid studs before hollow I believe, so originals are likely solid stud and Legend set are hollow. Hollow studs I believe are mostly a cost, and weight, cutting measure. Less plastic is used because the posts have less plastic. Sounds silly until you have to make 1000's of a part.
    Hahahaha. It was a question I was asking the general public; I knew the answer :)

Pitfall69 said:

Pitfall69 said:

Hahahaha. It was a question I was asking the general public; I knew the answer :)

I figured you did, but were testing me :-)
    Its all those years of sniffing ponies that has you messed up man.
    Only a few years of Ponies. Mostly model glue magic markers, nail polish and paint thinner :)
    Kragle does the trick too. : )
    Given the age and my desire to do this relatively affordably over "correctly," I'm ok if some pieces aren't "pure". Once you winnow it down to just the Trading Post itself, there are a few sellers that have virtually all of the pieces. I picked the guy that seemed to have the lowest prices, on average, and I'll use one of the others to supplement the rest.
    @rocao‌
    Awesome collection. It isn't every day that you find someone that has all those sets still in sealed boxes. The boxes are just as gorgeous as the sets themselves :)