Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

10244 Fairground Mixer

Comments

• ryderfanryderfan Member Posts: 25
    I personally don't like the comparisons to the carousel. The Mixer is a portable design whereas the carousel was a permanent structure. But the big difference is that the Mixer seems built to withstand the rigors of movement and abuse (and play), whereas the carousel was EXTREMELY FRAGILE.

That darn carousel would stop rotating after two of three rotations because the tension of the motor wheel against the frame (held in place by only 2 1x2s) would knock it off the track, or a floor piece supporting a carousel horse would come loose, or the horses wouldn't move up or down because the wheel on top of the center gear structure wasn't making good contact with the center structure, or the tension you put between the technic pins 38 steps back wasn't tight/loose enough which would cause interference later on, pre-mangled stickers, etc.

The bottom line is that the Mixer seems built to hold up to actual PLAY by the builders, instead of being just a mere showpiece that is destined to sit on a shelf somewhere.
    tomahawker
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Well I built the first truck last night with the ticket booth and dunk tank and loved it. The way everything packs onto the back is a delight and very much a teaser for the Mixer itself. If you're a fan of the great vehicles in City you will really enjoy this set.
    Jenni
  • Mandalorian_BuilderMandalorian_Builder Member Posts: 197
    This set looks like a blast to play with!
  • talostalos Member Posts: 49
    Am I the only one that thinks, for the price, this set should of come with the motor and battery to run it? I saw it motorized on JangBricks video, it looks great running that way...but to me $150 is a little steep for what you get..just my 2 cents..
  • VenunderVenunder Nottingham, UK.Member Posts: 2,588
    edited May 2014
    The UK gets ripped off...... again!
    $149.99 should make this UK £88.50

To allow for extra UK taxes and fluctuating foreign exchange markets £95.99 or £99.99 would have been a better price for this.
    The free Balloon seller set is only a £5 set, so that does not make up for the ridiculous UK price.

I guess I'll be waiting for a sale for this one.

For £119.99 yes I agree this should have a motor.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    edited May 2014
    Unless my maths is wrong VAT alone takes it to £106 so £95 or £99 would have been unusually kind to us.
    Well I've built mine and I love it love it love it!!!!! To go a wee bit Benny. Just going for a rummage into the pf box.........
    Curse my lack of love for Technic. No correct motor in the house!
    Legoboy
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,834
    ^ You won't be told. ;-)
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,525

Curse my lack of love for Technic. No correct motor in the house!

Ironically, Leeds LEGO Store have a tray with loads of power functions in.

• madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    Venunder said:

The UK gets ripped off...... again!
    $149.99 should make this UK £88.50

To allow for extra UK taxes and fluctuating foreign exchange markets £95.99 or £99.99 would have been a better price for this.
    The free Balloon seller set is only a £5 set, so that does not make up for the ridiculous UK price.

I guess I'll be waiting for a sale for this one.

For £119.99 yes I agree this should have a motor.

At least you have a chance to get it on sale. No such luck for people in the US. $149.99 is likely the price until it is gone.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    Even at 30% off the $ price would be roughly $140 at £119.99, so I can understand the frustration. LEGO will eventually shoot themselves in the foot with such pricing. It is not a matter of if, but when.
  • pvp3020pvp3020 Member Posts: 158
    Just to be clear, are the US prices including sales tax? Directly comparing US and UK prices can be misleading as the UK advertised price includes VAT (sales tax) whereas US advertised prices normally don't.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    edited May 2014
    ^ US prices don't include sales tax which varies by state, and sometimes even county, in my home state it's 9.25%

Basically for anything that costs the same number of pounds as dollars UK people are getting vastly overcharged. For things like this with a 10-15% difference it depends how you like to buy things. This week the US people will be getting a deal but when it gets discounted later in the UK the people there who waited will be the best off. It's hard to realise that though as with VAT the price won't look that different to the normal US price.

I'm living in France at the moment and some licensed sets are so inflated that even with a 40% discount I'm waiting to buy till I'm back in the US. However I also bought a Palace Cinema this year for €99 with 8 free CMFs, something that couldn't happen in the States.

But as you can see some people on either side will complain about this state of affairs :)

cheshirecatrocao
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    It would be nice to have a moratorium on the "international pricing discrepancies are unfair" conversations that frequently hijack other threads. We just keep saying the same things over and over

Or perhaps relegate such conversations to their own private thread...
    cheshirecatBumblepantsCCC
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    I like it very much, however I like huge models with loads of details such as the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van or the Sandcrawler. This set is very cool and I would love owning it but the price is way out of the league compared to other sets; I understand that LEGO is a business but I cannot justify paying £119.99 for this, maybe between £59.99 to £99.99 even then it would be too much. Jaime Berard never disappoints with every set he designs and I thank him for that. If I mange to get some of the other LEGO sets off my wishlist then this will be a considered purchase.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Don't look up how cheap a BMW 320i or 320d is in the States then. It's not LEGO's fault that the U.S. has cheap transportation costs, little taxes, low cost of doing business and excellent economies of scale.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    Well, I know of at least one person not winning a fairground mixer courtesy of brickset and the European affiliate team... (What a schoolboy error!) XoD
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145
    Has anyone seen any official reviews of this set out there yet?
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,336
    edited May 2014
    @piratemania7‌ - The Brickshow produced a video review if you consider them 'official.' Either way, it should give you an idea of what to expect:

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    It's really hard to watch Brickshow videos.
    edited May 2014
    Speaking of the mixer, one more nail in the coffin of this City set allegedly being part of the Modular world, the minifig faces aren't the old school happy faces that Modulars use exclusively.
    dougts
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,442
    ^I'm still of the opinion that the term modular that was thrown around unofficially with regards to this set was misunderstanding. I think it was meant either to describe the fact that the set has several elements that can be used together or separate or (and what I hope is more the case) that this is the first set of a 'modular' funfair/carnival. I don't think it was ever intended to be part of the modular buildings line but the fact that it was announced as part of the Creator Expert and someone used the word module or modular somewhere along the line lead to a lot of confusion...thats my two cents on it anyways.
    pharmjod
    @TheLoneTensor - I wouldn't disagree, but any review is better than no review...usually.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,910

It's really hard to watch Brickshow videos.

Sometimes they are a bit jokey, but sometimes they can be quite serious. It is worth watching 12:30-14:00 (esp 13:15 onwards) to see what he says about building techniques.

It does seem a fantastic build. It's not in my line of interest, but a great design.
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,944
    @Shib‌ - the difference between 'modular' and 'Modular', perhaps?
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 185
    Jangbricks review is more watchable IMHO

FollowsCloselyjasorMatthewTK2012WSW
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    I like the set well enough. I guess I'm still just jaded about the fact that it's a trumped up City set masquerading in the wrong theme.
    FollowsClosely
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 967
    edited May 2014
    Are there any videos floating around that show the addition of PF? It'd be much more tempting for the price if they had been included.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,145

Are there any videos floating around that show the addition of PF? It'd be much more tempting for the price if they had been included.

Agreed. I also think if the PF was a core part of this set the entire conversation people have been having could have gone in an entirely different direction. Not sure if it was cost prohibitive or if TLG just plain old didn't think this set warranted PF; however, it would have been a great add. Oh well - still a superb set.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,674
    @Steve_J_OM , at the 7:30 mark of the video from Jangbricks, they show it running with PF.
    Steve_J_OM
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,910
    It seems simple enough to add PF. No doubt if they were included, then the price goes up by another £20 and it is no longer so attractive, especially if you already have PF.

Did they include the PF mod in the instructions, or I wonder if they leave it out as it is so simple.
    The designer video made it look so simple it wouldn't need instructions.
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,979
    Huh.
    Watching the addition of the PF in the video, and how simple it is to add, it really gives it a cool twist and it does make it more appealing to me. It does look like it was specifically designed of that easy incorporation, but they wanted to keep the price point where they set it.

What I wish... If this really is a 'series', that they would have put this out second.
    If it is a series, though, and they are smart, they will keep this set out when a second set comes out, since I think they would sell more when people see items together.

Shib said:

This was actually a point I personally didn't like, because the implementation is very pedestrian. I'm a fan of PF, but I'm more a fan of PF components when they are implemented in a way that is naturally camouflaged into the model.
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    Passing on this, it'll take up too much space.
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    Yeah.. I've been back and forth on this one several times now. I really want to see a well done carnival theme, but this just isn't what I had in mind. I like the merry go round from last year's Winter Village much better if that tells you anything.

Shib said:

This was actually a point I personally didn't like, because the implementation is very pedestrian. I'm a fan of PF, but I'm more a fan of PF components when they are implemented in a way that is naturally camouflaged into the model.
    Does that not then become more of a challenge for anyone who is use to upgrading sets for power functions? I've haven't don't anything with power functions so I can't really look at a set and think how I'd put them in generally so he question is not meant as sarcastic or biting in anyway just another way of looking at it.
    edited May 2014
    Right, it can be an an incredible challenge to disguise PF. The components are relatively bulky and the connections are unforgiving. Of course, you can suspend your realism and just enjoy slapping a motor on the end and it's not that big a deal, but it wouldn't have hurt to have some kind of bonus instructions to make another carnival stall that could hide the added PF. Look at the Winter Carnival set for a sleeker and much cooler way to hide the gearing (though that doesn't hide a motor, etc.)

Also, since I'm a little anal about promoting realism details in Lego, I've noticed a few things about this set that have been bugging me:

1) The fence is not very safe. It needs about 4 to 6 more lengths to make the circle bigger. I get their intended effect, and it's nice, but since the ride actually swings out over it, and there's a chance someone could get a face full of mixer-car, it's not really safe.

2) The loading platform. Really? That is the most precarious and unsafe thing about this ride, with huge step-gaps no handrails or fencing to be seen.

3) This is a little harder to explain. As the mixer is running, a rider's car touches pretty much the same areas of the fence line every "outswing" of their car. I was at the amusement park the other day and noticed that with a real scrambler, the rider progresses around the fence, moving a few feet along with every swing. Digging into the history a bit, apparently this progressive design was so that parents on the side could see their scrambler-riding kid on an outswing no matter where they were standing on the fence line.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cute set. #3 is totally forgivable, but #1 and #2 are really under baked. I may be over analyzing, but I feel that Lego awesomeness is all about the details, and I think they missed the mark a bit, especially for a set being promoted as "Expert."
    jasor
    I do not own the set, despite the fact that I would have jumped at the chance to own a fairground set under usual circumstances. I want fairground sets which look beautiful when finished, like the carousel in the Winter Village Market, and although there is no doubt that this model is more realistic, it does not feel 'special' or 'exclusive' at all.

I can appreciate the set for what it is, unfortunately it is not what I want.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 351
    ^^Does any mixer/scrambler have a loading platform to begin with? I can't imagine how long it would take to load the ride if it had to be done one car at a time. Also to get the car into perfect position to make it accessible from the loading platform would be difficult.

I did think the same thing about the fence. It is too small,but it does give the illusion of safety which is all carnivals/fairs seem to care about anyway.
    TheLoneTensorFollowsClosely
    It looks much more safe than many of the travelling fairgrounds I went to as a kid. Times move on of course.

I really think this is a set that benefits from actually being seen. Beauty will remain in the eye of the beholder of course and I'm not here to try and convince anyone to buy it. I found it an interesting build despite there being repetitive sections. It does have the look and feel of a beefed up City set but I couldn't care less about the labels. I either want to build a set or don't regardless of what theme the box tells me it belongs to.
    ShibBumblepants

^^Does any mixer/scrambler have a loading platform to begin with? I can't imagine how long it would take to load the ride if it had to be done one car at a time. Also to get the car into perfect position to make it accessible from the loading platform would be difficult.

No, the cars are at ground level. People walk to them, get in and the ride-op comes around to each car and secures you. That design was clearly beyond the scope of this model.

I did think the same thing about the fence. It is too small,but it does give the illusion of safety which is all carnivals/fairs seem to care about anyway.

So true :)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,219
    I think many complaints would likely go away if the set was priced better. at 149.99 (USD) it is just too much. If this was 75-99(USD) I think there would be far fewer people protesting the design of the set. Or you would hear gripes, but people would still likely buy it.
    I think at 149.99 though it is pricey to gripe about it AND buy to many.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,525

I really think this is a set that benefits from being seen.

I think this is becoming a problem for LEGO. Alot of the newer sets are not looking that great in pictures and while they look quite good built up in the store window, not everyone has the opportunity or the ability to view the items in person.

Is this hurting the sale of some of these models?
    edited May 2014
    ^ I would say that's true, but only for the big sets like this, the sandcrawler, tower of Orthanc, etc. I admit the sandcrawler looks great in person, as does the opera house, and the SSD, but the fact remains, we're talking really expensive sets.

Then you have the smaller sets, of which I think the reverse tends to be true. I get this box, build the model and say to myself "huh, that's a lot smaller than I thought it would be."

Is this hurting the sale of some of these models?

No, what's hurting the sales of these models is the fact that Lego won't allow discounts on them. I haven't bought a price-fixed exclusive set since they brought down the Danish Hammer of Avarice, neither for personal use nor speculation. I'm not at critical mass either. I have room for some sweet new models, but I'm not feeling the urgency.
    jasordougtstamamahmFollowsCloselysidersddBrickDancer
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,009
    I think the set looks lovely in person. The video reviews are great as well. I've read some of the criticism and may be some of it is valid, but I don't think that it's meant to be a true representation of a mixer ride. As with everything Lego, there is compromise. Of course there's difficulty loading the ride, may be the safety fence isn't big enough but we can't all pretend that it's meant to be a real life model - the kids have to stand on the ride! We always have to suspend our belief a little bit with Lego and this set is no different.

I really hope this is the beginning of a series of fairground rides, all with the ability to transport it easily using lorries.
    msanders said:

I think the set looks lovely in person. The video reviews are great as well. I've read some of the criticism and may be some of it is valid, but I don't think that it's meant to be a true representation of a mixer ride. As with everything Lego, there is compromise. Of course there's difficulty loading the ride, may be the safety fence isn't big enough but we can't all pretend that it's meant to be a real life model - the kids have to stand on the ride! We always have to suspend our belief a little bit with Lego and this set is no different.

I feel you missed my point. Of course Lego models will have to compromise against real-life prototypes; anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves. My point was that they could have done a few small things to make this set a whole lot better. There were T's left to be crossed and I's left to be dotted, and they chose not to do that, even though this is labeled as an "Expert" model. I say all this because after all, only the best is good enough, right?
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,434
    My local store PaB had the fence pieces in there. Grabbed a bunch to make a bigger fence in the mixer set... ya know... if I buy it.
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 92

msanders said:

I feel you missed my point. Of course Lego models will have to compromise against real-life prototypes; anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves. My point was that they could have done a few small things to make this set a whole lot better. There were T's left to be crossed and I's left to be dotted, and they chose not to do that, even though this is labeled as an "Expert" model. I say all this because after all, only the best is good enough, right?
    I feel you've missed the point of the design: Mixer, ticket booth and attractions all fitting neatly onto two trucks.