Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Regret not keeping Lego from childhood

glosminifigfanglosminifigfan United KingdomMember Posts: 94
Hi,

Does anyone else regret not keeping their Lego from childhood? I have no idea where the Lego went, probably given away or thrown away. I think I hit a 'Lego is sad/boring' phase and that was that. Now I would love to have all the old sets again! I have been looking through the Brickset pages at all the old sets I remember having. For some reason 6481 'Construction Crew' stands out as I loved the light-up roadwork signs, and it was one of the few sets I managed to get outside of Christmas/Birthday time.

Richard.

Comments

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    About five years ago, my parents were in the process of moving and asked if I wanted to keep any of the Lego from my youth. I stupidly told them to give it to Goodwill.
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,640
    Same here, my parents moved from a house to a condo and they gave all away to my cousins after I they asked me what to do with my sets. Since then I bought back just one set, #8860 that I got from my 10th birthday.
    That said I have moved 5000 miles away and it would not have been easy to get them back without a trip there. I curse you Dark age :)
  • NatebwNatebw Tampa BayMember Posts: 339
    I imagine this is incredibly common. I know that my mom sold all my Lego at a garage sale.To my former teacher. For $10.
  • oceanangeloceanangel Member Posts: 149
    Yeah, I had so many sets as a kid and I wish I still had them. I often wonder what happened to them as a few years after my parents died I was looking for them and couldn't find them, same with a few other toys as well. I suspect my dad gave them away without my knowledge so I wouldn't get upset or they just walked away as I stopped playing with them lol
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    mathew said:

I stupidly told them to give it to Goodwill.

lol I can see in my mind how that went down, "no ma! I don't want that stuff anymore, give to like good will or somethin'"
    :P
  • HangedSanchezHangedSanchez United KingdomMember Posts: 310
    I'm the third of four brothers, so we had absolutely masses of the stuff! Unfortunately it's all gone to my cousins. I'm trying to think of an appropriate way to ask for it back! :)
    bobabricks
  • KingDaveKingDave UKMember Posts: 963
    Lego was the ONLY toy I kept hold of from my youth. Star Wars all gone, Action Man all gone, Micro Machines all gone (apart from a single Porsche 911 convertible that now lives on my keyboard). Can't even remember all the other rubbish toys that probably went in the bin within 12 month of getting them!

I have already made it clear to my sister that my nephew can NEVER ebay any Lego (at least the sets he gets from me). I have even started to flatten out all the boxes from his sets and put them away in my loft just in case he turns out to share my OCD tendencies.
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    The only thing I regret, is not buying more Lego from particulair sets. I'd love to had more forestmen.
    But anyway, I'm lucky still have all the Lego from my childhood.
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 485
    Apart from the odd broken/chewed/missing piece, my collection made it through. My mum loves lego and made sure all my sets were stored in a massive box through my dark ages, albeit unsorted. She kept all the instructions in folders as well, bless her!
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    edited May 2014
    I don't regret selling them for two reasons: selling them got me out of my dark ages and they were all not up to my condition standards. Planning on getting my faves new/mint soon, once I'm done getting the last minifgs and polys I need. That also got me into reselling but that's a different story...
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,123
    I did keep mine from the 80s but as it turns out it really hasn't been that helpful. I can't bring myself to mix any if it in with my new stuff from my AFOL years due to color and condition variances. And it's a pretty small amount anyway. So it just sits there
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,086
    My parents still have my collection of Lego from the 70's but they are VERY well used. Lots of broken hinges, melted axles (learned about friction!) and dirty pieces. Not worth anything except the memories of the enjoyment.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 616
    I was fortunate enough that my parents kept all my old toys in the attic until I was able to bring them home. Star Wars, GI Joe, and Lego all came back to me. But I was prepared to buy them all again if I had to!
  • PraiasPraias Member Posts: 51
    I hardly had any Lego as a child. My mum was very old fashioned on that matter, and didn't think I should be encouraged to play with boys toys. So I'm the (proud?) owner of countless MIB Barbies but hardly any Lego. Still need to look into how much the Barbies are worth it and use the money to get more Lego :p

Still bugs my mum that I never outgrew my love for boys toys as she calls it.
    oceanangelbobabricks
  • oceanangeloceanangel Member Posts: 149
    My mum was kinda okay with me playing 'boys' toys. Well, she played with the Lego herself and didn't count that as a boy toy it was the transformers she didn't like. I found them more interesting than a doll who just seemed to dress up in different clothes and have a horse that didn't move. My ex never got why I wouldn't do anything for a month as I was saving for Fort Max and he never saw star wars hence the ex lol
    Legobutterfly
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    I remember having a bit of LEGO as a kid but my mum tried to discourage me from it as she disliked it and little patience to build with me.
    I had barbies etc which I sold when I was 8 to pay for my riding lessons and hard hat etc, not quite sure what happened to my old LEGO.

As a side not my mum still hates LEGO and moans like mad about it when she comes round and sees our displays or our boys playing with theirs.
    I never thought I would I take pleasure in saying 'Our house, our choice, our decor, our rules!' but actually, I kinda do.
    carlqPraias
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 89
    Same as KingDave here: LEGO was the only toy I've asked my mom to keep at her place. Everything else went to my younger cousin.
    A couple of years ago, when I became a father, my aunt asked if I wanted any of my old toys back for my son and specifically mentioned LEGO. What? I was puzzled because my LEGO shouldn't have gone to my cousin, so I said yes.
    She brought me a few bags full of wooden bricks, my Playmobil collection (yes, I had those too) and a lot of "LEGO". Since I didn't recognize any of it, I realized they were probably my cousin's own sets. What a relief!
    I then tried to sort them out to see what they were and almost cried. There were lots of MEGA***** and even worse knockoffs, but the saddest part was the actual LEGO: chewed pieces, broken pieces, minifigs with missing hands and single legs... a complete horror story!
    Seeing that made me even happier for saving my childhood LEGO. I have since retrieved them from my mom's house, cleaned everything, reassembled my Classic Space base and bricklinked the half a dozen missing/broken pieces. It's impressive to see how I was way more careful with toys than my cousin.
  • Faedian7Faedian7 Member Posts: 50
    I have all of my Lego from when I was a kid in the early 90s. I kept all the boxes, instructions, and in some cases plastic bags. Unfortunately though I wasn't the smartest about storing them. They were in storage for 10 years in a hot enivronment. So now I have a lot of brick that has been discolored (More noticable on the white bricks). One of these days I'll have to see if I can restore any, but I just haven't built up the courage yet.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited May 2014
    KingDave said:

I have already made it clear to my sister that my nephew can NEVER ebay any Lego (at least the sets he gets from me). I have even started to flatten out all the boxes from his sets and put them away in my loft just in case he turns out to share my OCD tendencies.

I don't think I would appreciate my sibling telling me what I could or could not do with gifts. Just sayin.
  • glosminifigfanglosminifigfan United KingdomMember Posts: 94

I remember having a bit of LEGO as a kid but my mum tried to discourage me from it as she disliked it and little patience to build with me...
    As a side not my mum still hates LEGO and moans like mad about it when she comes round and sees our displays or our boys playing with theirs.

I can just about understand someone who didn't particularly like Lego, but to actually hate it seems extreme! Can't see how it can be offensive to parents apart from standing on it and the cost maybe!
  • LegobutterflyLegobutterfly Member Posts: 488
    Lol! She hates it because she struggles to put it together or get it to stay together, I think she forgets that it is the arthritis in her hands that is at fault, not the LEGO, also she is very impatient and generally grumpy.

She just finds our displays silly, and cannot understand why we want to look at it all the while.
    Don't get me wrong I get pissy if I stabd on a piece of the boys LEGO as it hurts more than a lot of things but LEGO very rarely stays on the floor here.
    I suppose like some people she has in her head what sort of decor she likes and as ours does not conform to that she feels the need to chew my ear off about it.
    carlq
  • JoeZilchJoeZilch Member Posts: 6
    My grandmother got rid of all of my mom's toys so she never wanted to do that to her kids and as such I still have all of my GI Joes, Hot Wheels and Lego (although missing a ton of parts from neighbors thieving and whatnot).

I almost sold/gave away off of it about 4 years ago and when I started to sort through it I found out that my wife was pregnant with our first son and voila I had a newfound interest in keeping my toys. I mean, their toys if my wife asks.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,155
    I find it really interesting how many female AFOLs here are saying their parents (or from most of them it seems particularly mothers) didn't like them play with Lego because it's a boys toy.

I've always found the gender assignment of toys and how parents perceive this will affect their child's development an odd discussion. I can see why with old fashioned values (read outdated ideas) with regards to homosexuality etc would play a factor but to actually forbid something to a child increases it's importance and therefore denying them the chance to explore that at a young age would most likely leave a deeper lingering fascination. I think that people forget that children mature and change and their preferences can stray massively.

It's interesting considering Lego in this though. There's nothing about the basic pieces that make it that is inherently unfeminine, some of the licenced theme stuff could be seem to be violent which I think is the main issue, but just building with small pieces of plastic is not the same as heavy lifting construction type work that these parents might view as unfeminine. But I guess we live in a very different time, where equality is encouraged and as such toys like Lego which are for the most part gender neural at the core don't carry the stigma as much as say a young boy playing with a barbie.

Sorry for the long rambling slightly off topic post, but I'd never imagined girls being forbidden Lego because it's a 'boys toy'
    carlq
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 861
    My brother and I kept all of our LEGO, albeit also unsorted and in bins. Instructions all there, along with a few backs of boxes and, amusingly, the yearly catalogs (which I just loved perusing as a kid). We also saved the boxes to Black Seas Barracuda and Launch N Load Seaport. A couple of years ago I grabbed the two huge rubbermaid bins full of our sets (and my Barracuda, of course) and started to sort them out. Made it through castle and most of the pirate stuff. Still have a fair amount of space and town to go. My hope is to finish the sorting -- at least by theme -- and give my brother back a tub with all of his sets within the next couple of years -- just in time for his two year old son (and my one year old daughter) to be old enough to enjoy adult LEGO.

We also saved our Star Wars figures (though I don't think we did as good a job saving the vehicles or playsets). Transformers, tragically, were thrown away or donated. GI Joes are hit or miss -- I found quite a few in the LEGO boxes, actually. Other building toys also went away (Construx, Capsella). But thank God the one toy preserved virtually in its entirety was LEGO!

There will be absolutely no gender assumptions with my daughter and LEGO. I fully expect her to embrace it all -- and not just town but also castle, pirate, and perhaps even Star Wars (if daddy wants to share).
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    ^Yeah, it's an interesting point. My mum played with Lego in the 60s/70s when it was all red and white blocks with a few wheels and fences (and my dad to a lesser extent) and she has wonderful memories of it.

My parents never discouraged any of us (my brother, sister and I) from playing with Lego (the opposite, really), but my sister just never really was into Lego.

I have often wondered whether she was never into Lego because she's not a creative/building sort of person (at least, not in 3 dimensions), or whether she is not a creative/building sort of person because she never really played with Lego (no themes which really piqued her interest). Sort of a nature-nurture/chicken-egg question, really.

I do sometimes wonder if construction toys (or any toys for that matter) were marketed in a more gender-neutral way, it would lead to less gender-constrained jobs (ie, engineers being men, secretaries being women or whatever stereotypes you want).

But I've just managed to digress into another parenting/child psychology/gender roles in society discussion, for which I apologise (look what you've started, @Shib‌...)

Back on topic, I've been fortunate enough never to really have a 'Dark Ages', so I still have most of my childhood sets. Well, with one or two exceptions which have a colourful history... :-)
    My family used to live in the Central African Republic, and when the civil war started (or flared up again) in 2002 (so I was about 8), we were forced to 'evacuate' from our home with what we could fit in our borrowed Hilux. For some reason (I still don't know why), I decided to pack very little Lego, and left behind some of my favourite sets, including some Castle sets and a set with some divers, sharks and a little boat. Fortunately, a fair amount was in storage at my grandparents in safe ol' Guildford (they've had relatively few civil wars in Surrey in the past decade or two), and I did remember to bring one of my absolute favourites, an Adventurers jeep thingy with me.
    carlqShib
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,582
    I just had a bucket of second hand random lego, so it didn't bother me when my parents gave it away.

However, I had a lot of the Six Million Dollar Man (Kenner) stuff - including Oscar, Bigfoot, SMD Woman, all the vehicles, etc. And that was virtually given away by my dad at a bootsale. I also lost my MEGO James Bond, Drax, Holly and Jaws that way too.
    carlq
  • jasorjasor United StatesMember Posts: 839
    I had very little Lego growing up. I still have #6878 and #6933 ....oddly enough, I found them in a craft box, in gallon bags, with their instructions. Either I was forward looking, my parents begrudingly cleaned up after me, or Fate decided to throw me a bone. They are all I have left of the original sets I owned. I had loads of the buckets when I was little, but those were handed down to future generations or sold.
  • KirstyL21KirstyL21 South AfricaMember Posts: 27
    I never had LEGO when I was growing up but did spend many wonderful hours of play with a huge basic set my cousins had. I am making up for it now though .... Boy am I ever. 27 sets in the last 2 months. OK they are mostly small boxes and bags ;) but it all adds up in the end!
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Thanks to my dad's sentimental attachment to anything I had as a kid, I have pretty much all of my childhood toys, including LEGO. But the reason for my post is someone else's childhood collection.

When I was 11, my family traveled to Europe. While there, we visited a business acquaintance of my dad's, who lived in Switzerland. Before meeting the family at their home, we had been to a toy shop, where I got #6235 and #6251. I was pretty excited because the Pirates theme wasn't yet available in the US (at least as far as I knew at the time). Seeing my interest in LEGO, the family offered to give us their daughter's LEGO collection. She had "grown up" and moved away, and they thought it would be better off being played with rather than sitting in storage. My dad tried to refuse, but they insisted. It wasn't easy finding space in our luggage for a ~10 lb. bag of LEGO.

At the time, I thought it was fantastic. My childhood collection wasn't particularly large, so adding this inheritance essentially doubled its size. Granted, most of the sets were older and didn't interest my mid-80s Castle-and-Space-minded self. But the sheer number of pieces, and pieces that were new to me, opened up new possibilities for building. There were also quite a few catalogs in German and some old idea books that were just fun to look at for their novelty.

Now that I'm an AFOL, I feel differently. After unpacking my own childhood collection and piecing together sets I played with as a kid, looking through the old catalogs, etc., I feel a real regret for taking that opportunity away from someone else, even if I didn't have a choice in the matter. I've wondered on several occasions whether this person I've never met wishes their parents hadn't given away their childhood collection. While it's possible this person has never even given it one thought, knowing how I would feel if my parents had done the same makes it easy to project feelings and feel bad about it.

On the brighter side, my 3.5-year-old son is now playing with some of the sets from this collection. We built #363 a couple weekends ago and he wanted to play with nothing else for the next few days.

If anyone reading this grew up near Zurich and has fond memories of #200, #314, #363, #462, and possibly #357 and #617, among others, let me know!
    carlq
  • PraiasPraias Member Posts: 51
    @Shib my mum was (still is but less so now) very unhappy that I wasn't very (at all) girly. I think she convinced herself that if she would keep on buying Barbies I would eventually cave in and start enjoying pink and frilly.

Never happened :p

One of the toys I most wanted was a car garage. I asked for one every single year. Her reaction only became more and more explosive every time it was mentioned. I bought one for myself on my first Christmas in my own house. I'm not sure if the pleasure of having one was not surpassed by the fun I had seeing the effort my mum was making to smile when she saw it.

My kids play with anything they like, there's no gender specific toys in our house, and I think my parents have learned to respect that, even if not agreeing with it.

My eldest became very interested in Lego but more to build and display, being more of a collector than even me or my partner. So far we don't have much Lego Friends, not because it's for girls but because neither of use is very much into the mini dolls. I find it a shame that with Lego Friends they changed from mini figures to mini dolls. I wouldn't have minded to have Frozen minifigures amongst others :)
    Shibcarlq
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    @binaryeye‌ perhaps try and track them down and change their kid's life :)
  • glosminifigfanglosminifigfan United KingdomMember Posts: 94
    KirstyL21 said:

I never had LEGO when I was growing up but did spend many wonderful hours of play with a huge basic set my cousins had. I am making up for it now though .... Boy am I ever. 27 sets in the last 2 months. OK they are mostly small boxes and bags ;) but it all adds up in the end!

That is a lot of pent up Lego building! I bought Technic set #8868 because I couldn't have it when I was younger. Buying it cured an itch!
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    We KEPT most of our childhood Lego, dating from around 1968 through 1978. Some of it remains with one family member as made up complete or almost complete sets; about 1/4 of it disappeared (long gone) through one family member. And about 1/2 of it ended up with me; sadly only as loose parts (a few instructions survive, albeit tattily).
    My daughter's lego will NEVER leave my or her hands, at least as long as I live.
  • mindfieldsukmindfieldsuk Member Posts: 11
    Lego was pretty much the only thing I wanted as a kid and had a lot of sets. Passed them over to my younger cousin with a gentlemens agreement that we'd swap it between our families. Now I've got young kids, He's packed it all up and says it's ready for me to bring back across the pond (Canada =>UK).

Rekindled my love of Lego after 12 years of not having any (nothing to do with the Lego movie Honest! =/ ) and currently building 10188 DS. Have been collecting the lego friends/City and Creator ranges for my young daughters. Looking back at my old sets & finding sites like Brinkset,rebrickable & brick link I've realised how fortunate I've been as a kid. I had most of the major Classic Space sets like 928, 6980, 6951, 6970 & 6971. Can't wait to get my hands back on those & build them! Thank God I didn't allow them to be given away & kept if in the family.

jasor
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,052
    Many times, days in fact, I reminisce around what I either sold off cheaply to buy the next hot item, or simply gave away. It makes me rather sad actually - until I think of the joy that the next kid found when they received/bought my old sets.

It might also be a bit too much of a nostalgia overload if I came out of my dark ages and had loads and loads of bricks from my childhood still laying around...