Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Road Building Plates?

LTCSZLTCSZ USAMember Posts: 81
Are the road building plates (the gray toned ones with the two lane street) still available? I really only need the straight and left turn plates, but can't seem to find them individually anywhere in the USA...Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,453
    They don't sell them individually unfortunately.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,272
    ^ lol.. There is this thing called the edit button you post count whore.
    Pitfall69carlqplasmodiumbobabricks
    Hahahaha. I didn't think I would be able to post the links in time. I got a phone call right in the middle and it was just a automated message telling me when they are coming to deliver my stove.
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 101
    LTCSZ said:

I really only need the straight and left turn plates, but can't seem to find them individually anywhere in the USA...Thanks for any advice!

Tip: if you get any right turns, try rotating them 90º clockwise and they'll magically become lefts :-)

On a more serious note: roadplate distribution really is a problem these days. If you look at the average bricklink prices, straight roads are 2.5x the price of crossroads and 1.7x the price of curves and Ts.

Best,

Julio
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,950
    ^ I should imagine that's because the average city layout needs 2.5 times as many straights as crossroads and 1.7 times as many as curves and t-junctions. That said, it would make sense for Lego to release them in 2-packs of the same, really (like they used to in the good ol' days).
    Same goes for the train track. Most sets come with a full circle of curved and like 2 straight. And the straight packs came with flex track. No idea why they wouldn't have just sold straight, curved and the switch track all separate.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,764
    graphite said:

No idea why they wouldn't have just sold straight, curved and the switch track all separate.

It's all about the 4295260, I'm sure.
    preussBombTec
    If you are crafty, you can just build right over the T-Junction plate. Same goes for the Cross Road Plate.
    legomasontedward
    Pitfall69 said:

If you are crafty, you can just build right over the T-Junction plate. Same goes for the Cross Road Plate.

Indeed. My brother and I have had a T that has acted as a straight in our collective city layouts for many many years. They're always built on relavitely narrow tables, so no room for branching roads, but there's always a straight road down the middle.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,366
    Pitfall69 said:

Or use it as an entrance to a car park, fire station, etc.
    plasmodium
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    If you're doing this for the modulars I say use T-junctions and crossroads exactly as described above and move the entire modular over onto the road plate so that the curbs cover the last of the studs. Or even better, have a base of plates underneath so the curbs are nice and tall, and all the tiles will have studs to attach to when they're bridging across the junction you're covering.
    That'll let you use the cheaper road plates as straights, and I certainly wouldn't want the stud-filled pavements sitting down below the nice tiled modular pavement with its own curb.
    CCC said:

Pitfall69 said:

Or use it as an entrance to a car park, fire station, etc.
    Again, been there done that. Only problem is matching up the 'new', dark grey wider roads to the old narrower green-pavement roads! (particularly with #6571 - our only fire station. No need to update it when they're all the same anyway, right? :-P)
  • hleonffuhleonffu USAMember Posts: 244
    T-Junctions are great in front of Mods as a parking spot. You can tile the corners to extend the sidewalk or put a light post.
    This thread reminded me to get back to figuring out what I wanted as a base for my modulars/train setup and so I put these roads together which works for what I want. Modular chunks on 32x32 and 16x32 plates and have done straight and corner so far since I know those two are what I'll need first. My next modular project is going to be something to go in the inverted corner lot (corner on the outside of the block instead of inside as CC, GE etc are).

• klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 727
    My order of #7281 from January was just cancelled by Lego.  They still list them in shop as out of stock shipping in 30 days.  Are these going the way of the blue baseplates?