Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Every minifigure ever made??????

abbieharryabbieharry Member Posts: 4
Hi all, this is my first post...has anyone every collected each and every minifigure ever made, and also which reference guide is the best to do this. I started collecting and it's quite a task

Comments

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    There are some extremely rare and, assuming they can be bought, vastly expensive minifigures out there:

http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/799/solid-14k-gold-c3po
  • bobabricksbobabricks Member Posts: 1,842
    it is impossible to have every lego minifigure because there are some that lego only made 2 or 3 of.
  • abbieharryabbieharry Member Posts: 4
    Ok, what about the majority then.. Excluding the really rare
    hmm, still going to be very hard... I can't find out exactly but From what it looks like from this book I have called the minifigures year by year there was about 20 minifigs per year until 2000's and then about 60+ per year. Let's say each minifig is about $10 because there are minifigs worth more and worth less so this averages it out and your looking at very roughly $12,800 and this number for sure is very wrong. This is just with numbers I have here.
    Granted you are lucky and all of the minifigs are on the market (doesn't have to be expensive or rare but maybe just forgotten about or just nobody is selling).
  • vitreolumvitreolum Member Posts: 1,406
    If you take the bricklink catalogue, there are 6675 different minifigs in there.
  • CCCCCC Member Posts: 20,526
    And that's just official ones from lego. Many other combinations have been made.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    This is what I have moved on to now that I am done collecting all the classic sets. I have just now hit 1000 figures. I stick to regular, mainstream released figures. I'm not going after those convention figures or Mr Gold. If one showed up in a lot, I'll keep it. I also am not after Duplo, game, or Friends dolls. They are just not "minifigures" to me. What is fun is piecing together more rare figures from common. Meaning I will take a torso. Find what figure is most rare that uses it, and build the figure from there. One way of using the torso might result in a figure showing up in 8 sets, another way might result in it showing up in only 1. It's a very time consuming process to go that route. I have bags of pieces. I pull them out say every other month and spend a few nights building them. How do I keep track? Well, I put each figure in a 2 x 3 baggie. Then I write the catalog number on top. I have a word doc then that I keep the catalog numbers in order. I keep them in USPS medium flat rate boxes in lots of 200.

Now I don't count any figure from my sets as part of my figure collection. My wife says I'm nuts, that if I have the set, I have the figure. True but not true.

I just keep thinking to myself, "I'm 1/6th of the way there" as far as having them all.
  • ChanMcLChanMcL Member Posts: 1,224
    Probably someone has done 1 year's production's figure, like figures produced in 2013 and collect all from 2013. But still probably talking about 200+ figures and from expensive sets
  • luckyrussluckyruss Member Posts: 872
    The Brickset database proves its brilliance once again.

The "my sets" tab says I have 4,937 figures, but lots of battle packs means only 2,081 unique versions (I may be a few sets out of date). However, still feeling well short of the 6,600 official figures.

I wish I knew where most of them were - can't keep track of the little folk (it's almost as if they walk round by themselves...)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Member Posts: 2,694
    ^ That's funny, the collection manager says I own 6350 minifigures and 2081 unique.
    luckyruss
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL Member Posts: 617
    I think that Richard Morton might have been closest. Scroll through this page and read his site.

MinifigUniverse

Sadly, Richard never got a chance to complete documenting everything he had.

bricksetforum.com/discussion/14510/richard-morton
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister Member Posts: 212
    edited May 2014
    oldtodd33 .... ^ That's funny, the collection manager says I own 6350 minifigures and 2081 unique.
    Umm - the 6,350 is the total recorded in the database. Not how many you own ...
    And it includes Duplo ....
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Member Posts: 2,694
    ^ You are correct sir, I had the wrong number in my head when I wrote that. I own 6285 minifigures total.
    Wow, some pretty good numbers here, do lego do a visual book guide, I picked up a new Star Wars book and it has all the figures in the back, but it's really easy to look at.... I find the web sites pretty time consuming if you don't really know where a specific mini figure is from.....ie city

Wow, some pretty good numbers here, do lego do a visual book guide, I picked up a new Star Wars book and it has all the figures in the back, but it's really easy to look at.... I find the web sites pretty time consuming if you don't really know where a specific mini figure is from.....ie city

There is this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unofficial-LEGO-Minifigure-Catalog/dp/1463518978/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1399790802&sr=8-7&keywords=lego+minifigure+catalog

plus yearly updates.

I like to have things in print. I have gotten those every year. But I do use the Bricklink minifigure catalog most.

Yes, it is time consuming trying to look something up to get a catalog number when you have no idea where the figure comes from.

@jdylak I have the official minifigure book which covers 1975-2013 but it's really only what was new for that year which is still pretty useful.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Member Posts: 995
    DadsAFOL said:

I think that Richard Morton might have been closest. Scroll through this page and read his site.

MinifigUniverse

Sadly, Richard never got a chance to complete documenting everything he had.

bricksetforum.com/discussion/14510/richard-morton

This tragic news escaped my attention at the time, that is awful. I remember being struck by his program for rotatable images, it was such a great innovation for the community. May he rest in peace.
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam Member Posts: 574
    John Patterson was collector from Texas that had one of the largest collections of sets before he decided to them sell them off. If it had the Lego logo or said Lego on it John wanted it. I don't remember the exact time frame, but John had every known set from about 1980 to 2008. He also had a large majority of sets from 1974 to 1980 and a large collect of pre-1974 sets. Nearly everything was complete with the box and instructions.

Given the size of his collection and its completeness, I would think John would have nearly every minifigure at the time. John stopped collecting around 2009 and sold most of his sets between 2009 and 2012.
    jdylak said:

What is fun is piecing together more rare figures from common. Meaning I will take a torso. Find what figure is most rare that uses it, and build the figure from there. One way of using the torso might result in a figure showing up in 8 sets, another way might result in it showing up in only 1. It's a very time consuming process to go that route.

If a rare figure has a common part in it, you usually find the price of the rarer figure is similar to the price of the more unique parts in the figure. Often it will be more expensive to buy the unique parts of a minifig, than the whole minifig itself as not many people part out the rarer figs, unless they have one missing a part.
  • binaryeyebinaryeye Member Posts: 1,831
    CCC said:

Often it will be more expensive to buy the unique parts of a minifig, than the whole minifig itself as not many people part out the rarer figs, unless they have one missing a part.

Oddly, there is at least one minifigure where this isn't the case. It isn't particularly rare, but Han Solo from #8129 averages about $11 on BL, new. However the torso, which is what makes the minifigure unique, averages less than $1, new.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 298
    edited May 2014
    I think it would be very difficult to own all minifigures. Plus there might actually be minifigures that were never produced, but had prototypes made.

I collect Matchbox, I only buy what I like, but there are some pre-productions and errors that are so rare that they would be too expensive or rare for me to ever get my hands on them.
    binaryeye said:

CCC said:

Often it will be more expensive to buy the unique parts of a minifig, than the whole minifig itself as not many people part out the rarer figs, unless they have one missing a part.

Oddly, there is at least one minifigure where this isn't the case. It isn't particularly rare, but Han Solo from #8129 averages about $11 on BL, new. However the torso, which is what makes the minifigure unique, averages less than $1, new.
    Investment time!

binaryeye said:

CCC said:

Yes, nice spot. I guess this is where large quantities of the torso get onto the market at low prices and it takes a while for the minifig price to "notice".
  • BritcomBritcom Member Posts: 28
    I have set myself this task too. But i didn't realise how many there actaully were until i started. I have created a spreadsheet to help me keep track of which complete figures and parts of them i have.
    I would be happy to share this if it would be useful to you.
    So I have some questions for you guys trying to collect every minifigure. What defines every minifigure to you? How big does a variation have to be to be worthy of your collect? Are solid heads different from hollow heads? How about hollow bottom verses 'H' bottom or 'X' bottom torsos? Would accessories count? Where do you draw your line?
    @LusiferSam If the minifigs are the same but have different accessories I would say have one minifig and give it both or choose one, I would also say if any body parts are different then have both of the figures.

So I have some questions for you guys trying to collect every minifigure. What defines every minifigure to you? How big does a variation have to be to be worthy of your collect? Are solid heads different from hollow heads? How about hollow bottom verses 'H' bottom or 'X' bottom torsos? Would accessories count? Where do you draw your line?

For me, I would not be after EVERY figure. I go after any mainstream released figures. If I stumble upon a more rare figure, like say the 40th anniversary figure, that's a bonus to me. I'm not after the convention figures or such. I do however get the promo figures from ordering at Lego.com whenever I can. As far as accessories, if I have an extra one around that would go with a figure, I will thro it in the bag. Like a Han Solo, I'll throw in a blaster. Something like that. The hollow/solid head thing I don't get. Sometimes on BL, the catalog for the figure will say "hollow" but I know for a fact it was solid as I have the set. Or vice versa.

• BritcomBritcom Member Posts: 28
    For my collection i go for the official variations of minifigures released with sets. I keep true to the original colours etc. (Brown vs. Reddish Brown) but i draw the line at how a piece was moulded. I don't mind if the head is hollow or solid, just as long as the design is correct. I personally don't include any handheld accessories with my minifigures, except with the Collectable Series. I prefer to leave theie hands free, but i do include any back accessories.
    Hi Britcom....a copy of your spreadsheet would be appreciated, thanks for offer.
    For my collection I'm just after mainstream figures in sets etc, not any particular individual made up piece. I have roughly 1500 figures but have started to thin out duplicates....police, nurses etc etc.
    it's quite amazing how many are the same really and you don't notice till there bunched up. The new Star Wars book from DK is good it has all the figures ever made on 4 pages in the back....it's good for quick reference.
    Now if there was a book for all figures.....and I'm sure that's easy for lego to do......I will have one please.
    Now as for solid head of hollow???? I just want the face right and if possible I will always put the figure with the correct accessory.
    I have a long way to go for sure.....but it's a good fun.....
    jdylak said:

The hollow/solid head thing I don't get. Sometimes on BL, the catalog for the figure will say "hollow" but I know for a fact it was solid as I have the set. Or vice versa.

That's someone not knowing, not caring or just being lazy. It's amazing how often a detail like this seems to slip by people. I don't recall the exact year, but it's safe to assume anything before 1990 should be a solid head.
    This is interesting because you think details like that would be noticed by a bricklinker because bricklink is mostly only known through the lego community there for people who don't care about lego would be selling on eBay, not bricklink
  • vitreolumvitreolum Member Posts: 1,406
    ^ I've submitted the alternate dark blue cowl type 2 batman as an alternate a long time ago but nobody cares. Not being correctly set in the inventory doesn't mean it wasn't noticed, just that it wasn't corrected.