Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

ebay - responding to a Not As Described case on a sealed set

Comments

• mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    edited May 2014
    I said I'd update so here's a summary of how it played out:

In the NASD case, the buyer made a vague comment about missing pieces and asked for a replacement set. I said I didn't have a replacement set and asked what was missing. When the buyer was coy about that I suggested a full refund on return. The buyer went quiet and so, with time passing, I made a refund on return offer via ebay. After more quiet, I reminded him there was an offer waiting.

Eventually he got back to me saying he'd prefer to keep the set and receive a partial refund. I replied that in order for us to be able to agree a reasonable partial refund I'd need to know what was missing. If he didn't tell me this we'd go down the return and refund route. The buyer eventually got back to me and to say there is a single small piece (which can be bought on Bricklink for 2p) missing. I told him that since these pieces can be bought on ebay in packs of 6 for £1.50 Buy-It-Now (including shipping) I'd provide a partial refund of £3. I also told him that it was likely he could phone up TLG and get the missing piece for free. Eventually the buyer got back to me to say he'd ordered and obtained the piece. He didn't take me up on my offer of a partial refund.

This would have been more straightforward if the buyer had been upfront at the start about what the problem was. I probably would have offered a much larger partial refund without even blinking. Still, very pleased to have got this sorted.
    Pitfall69ColoradoBricksBrickarmor
  • augenaugen Worcester, UKMember Posts: 317
    Norlego said:

I had overcharged on postage to cover ebay/paypal fees.

I really dislike the practice. Although it's sometimes obvious, it's not always easy for a buyer to determine whether the P&P charges are genuine until they receive the item, making it a hidden cost. I have seen so many spurious justifications for this over the years.

This would have been more straightforward if the buyer had been upfront at the start about what the problem was. I probably would have offered a much larger partial refund without even blinking. Still, very pleased to have got this sorted.

I am glad that you sorted this out to your satisfaction. For this exact reason, I have been reticent to sell Lego on eBay. As a buyer, I have been in the position where someone has described a set as complete, just to find out that it wasn't. When I listed the missing pieces and asked the seller to cover the cost of replacement, they just stuck their head in the sand and ignored me. I raised a claim and eBay refunded me the full amount, which is simply ridiculous as I told them that I wanted a partial refund to cover my costs. The seller went ballistic at me and I told them straight that they should have responded to me in the first place. I did return the refund to them less the cost to replace the parts, but the whole affair was such a needless palaver which could have been easily avoided.

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 20,023
    edited May 2014

I'm not a big seller by any stretch but have been scammed at least once.

The first time was a fairly common minifig. There was something about the buyer and his messages, he contacted me before the sale was complete for some reason, that made me wary so although it was a very cheap sale I posted it recorded. The parcel was never signed for and I got an eBay message complaining that it wasnt delivered and wanting a refund. Stupidly in the same message he said that the tracking said it was still at the post office. The only way he could have known the tracking number was reading it from the envelope that was never delivered! Even being caught red handed he continued to argue the toss but never sent it to resolution nor left feedback.

It's funny how some buyers will give themselves away but still argue they never received something. I bought an S3 elf on ebay, seller used the stock picture and the one I received had no cloak, wrong head and a common city hairpiece. So I complained to them and they refused a refund so I left appropriate feedback. Then a few months later, they purchased a £1 minifig from me (I didn't realise, they had changed their user ID) and low and behold the item I sent them disappeared in the post and their reply when I asked them to wait more than 3 days was that I shouldn't have complained about them before. Then I got another sale of 10 heads to their next-door neighbours (again I didn't realise until later) and that one was delivered "with a big hole in the envelope and the bag of heads were in must have fallen out". So I replied that this was strange, are they sure they were in a bag as I normally put them in a small envelope inside the jiffy bag (this wasn't true, they were in a bag) and got the reply that it was a bag that had fallen out and the jiffy bag was empty. They still filed a claim and still won it. I blocked both IDs, and haven't had any trouble since, although I do check for any items going to their street now.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    ^Wow. All that trouble to get back at someone on EBay. They need to either get a life or end theirs. That's ridiculous. All over a small item.
    edited May 2014
    Yep. The strange thing was they could have bought something more expensive from me, but probably knew I wouldn't do anything about a few quid or send items of that value tracked. That said, I've had probably 300 sales on ebay in the last year over my different accounts, and those were the only ones that I lost out on. So my scammed rate is probably lower than most.
  • Gavin83Gavin83 Member Posts: 251
    augen said:

Norlego said:

I had overcharged on postage to cover ebay/paypal fees.

I really dislike the practice. Although it's sometimes obvious, it's not always easy for a buyer to determine whether the P&P charges are genuine until they receive the item, making it a hidden cost. I have seen so many spurious justifications for this over the years.
    I don't really think there's any grounds to complain on price. I think sellers should be a bit more transparent but then again ebay doesn't let you directly charge for paypal fees. I don't actually think there's a problem with the seller passes on these costs, people pay the price they're happy with. When sellers on bricklink list paypal fees in their charges however I won't buy from them. This is also my choice as a seller.

I rarely sell on eBay anymore as its so unattractive, except for the customer base. However I Think the Americans have it hard here. While I've never run into any problems as a seller if I did I wouldn't hesitate to take the buyer to court should ebay not side with me. The European legal system makes this extremely easy to do.

Of course it depends on the value of the sale and if its worth your time to pursue.
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ Out of interest on what basis would you take them to court? If they claim they didn't receive the item it would be near impossible to prove that they did - perhaps you could bring up their previous history but i can't see ebay disclosing anything or helping you. If they claim it wasn't received as sold, well again your word against theirs. The only outcome I would expect from taking an ebay purchase/sale to court is for ebay to ban you for life - thats the kind of PR they won't want. Threatening court action might be enough, but if they called your bluff I can't see it being anything other than a waste of time.

Certainly in the UK if the buyer shows that the item was bought with the intention to resell then they could paint you as a business to the court - which might work against you in the case.
    Redbullgivesuwind
    Gavin83 said:

I don't really think there's any grounds to complain on price. I think sellers should be a bit more transparent but then again ebay doesn't let you directly charge for paypal fees. I don't actually think there's a problem with the seller passes on these costs, people pay the price they're happy with.

As long as costs are transparent, I can reasonably assess whether I think it's fair and good value for money. I would happily pay by direct transfer and save the seller money if that's an option. IIRC, eBay make sellers offer PayPal as part of their T's & C's, which I suspect is questionable under various European fair trade laws, although I am no legal expert.

• NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 449
    I have a 4.9 star on postage on ebay. And i overcharge on every sale. Buyers dont mind as long as you stay within 15-20%. Even when people complain i never refund the total overcharge.
    I am better now, but i used to guess... So if the overcharge was £7 i would refund £5 and buyers were happy as they understood fees had to be paid.

Some of my buyers avoid paypal and that saves a lot of bother.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,118
    You need to define overcharging. Some people think they're getting ripped off for anything other than the costs of the stamps. No consideration given at all to the cost of bubble wrap, padded envelopes etc. You can't hide your shipping costs on eBay etc, so if someone has agreed to buy from you then they know what they're getting themselves into. Sometimes you get people objecting to the cost of recorded delivery. Those are my terms, if you don't like it then move on ebay buyer.
    You can include it in the price and then offer free postage. That way the buyers cannot object. It is less encouraging for people buying multiple items, but I found if I was selling a £1 item plus £1 postage with no extra postage on other items, people rarely bid on other items anyway - it seems they wanted to pay £2 for 1 and not £3 for 2 or £11 for 10.
    I have tried free postage, but buyers end up paying less... I got more by adding postage! Maybe people think private charge postage and buisness offer free postage.
    It is odd how you can get a good price and then the buyer still expects to pay for postage!
    For me free postage does not create more sales and i can only do it on free listing weekends anyway.
    I have used gumtree and something for £20 that did not sell for 99p! Also carboots are good for low value items.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I offer free postage on all my items and have done for the last 2 years. The only reason i offer free postage on my items is purely that the buyer cant leave a low DSR since the option isn't there for them.
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,842
    If it was a sealed set then he should be going to lego about it because even if t came from you the set still came from a lego factory
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    I'm in the US. I mail via the USPS and FedEx. If an item can be mailed USPS First Class (13 oz or less) I will usually list it as Free Shipping, because I pretty much know what the postage cost will be and can figure that into the price. Anything greater than 13 oz will go USPS Priority Mail or FedEx and as large as the US is the shipping cost can be greatly different on a relatively heavy item, so I let eBay calculate the shipping cost based on the Zip Code. Also, for an item over $100 I include insurance and that can get pricey, so I figure additional cost in.
    If eBay did away with P&P charges, it would improve the experience for all buyers. Sellers would then either take the risk of starting low or set the minimum price at the minimum that they're willing to sell for. It would then be straight forward, just like in a real auction with everyone knowing where they stand.
  • Bluefairy_56Bluefairy_56 Member Posts: 320
    In Australia, our Postal service has now put tracking on all parcels. It used to be an added extra thing of $3.50. This is great for eBay sellers, as we can now check if the parcel arrived at the buyers PO.

I have only ever added a $1 onto my postage and handling charges and that covers my padded bags I buy in bulk. I dislike those sellers that charge $25-$40 for postage for an item that only cost $15 to post. They will charge for the sticky tape, the cardboard box they got free and the petrol to take it down to the PO. Thank heavens there are not a lot of sellers like this, these I avoid like the plague.
  • PraiasPraias Member Posts: 51
    Wow. These are exactly the sort of stories that make me avoid EBay these days.

I'm not a Lego seller (or any other sort of seller). I only ever sold stuff we aren't using/need/want any more, so, very little. And even so I still had issues. But I also had them outside Ebay.

I used a Dutch Lego trading site last year and a kid scammed me! I sent first, he never did, never heard from him. Contacted the guy that owns the site who was no help whatsoever.

I see where you all are coming from about EBay now protecting the buyer quite a bit, but this also makes me think that most sellers will now be less flexible for buyers as a result. What I mean is, if you are an honest buyer and something is indeed wrong with what you receive, how fair is it that you have to pay to sent it back?!?

I bought a train set for my kid a few years ago on EBay. It arrived with many pieces so dirty that you wouldn't want to touch without gloves and the train didn't even work. It wasn't an expensive item as such (was so many years ago that I can't recall how much) but to send it back recorded would cost me even more (mainly because of the train being quite heavy).

So in all the effects the seller used me as a garbage disposal service that she paid for. And what does EBay do to help in those cases? Sod all...

I'm after a few sets of Lego (nothing urgent just on goings wants) but I rather stick to forums like these one than EBay. Either here or local sales where I can drive to and check it out myself.
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 2,012
    @cheshirecat‌ I am guessing without looking into it that it would have to be through contract and the small claims. This is because there is not a contract between you and eBay but you and the seller/buyer. You would need to show that the seller intended to defraud you and had received the goods. It won't come under misrepresentation as there are no real statements to induce a contract, nor would the sales of goods act cover you as it does not operate for private individuals.

Frankly if it is under £500 I wouldn't even bother going to court.
    augen said:

If eBay did away with P&P charges, it would improve the experience for all buyers. Sellers would then either take the risk of starting low or set the minimum price at the minimum that they're willing to sell for. It would then be straight forward, just like in a real auction with everyone knowing where they stand.

Wrong. I real auctions that i have been to buyers pay a fee plus vat on fee. Around 15%. Try and work that out while bidding....
    edited May 2014
    Norlego said:

augen said:

Wrong. I real auctions that i have been to buyers pay a fee plus vat on fee. Around 15%. Try and work that out while bidding....
    Not only that, but if they bid by phone or post or email and need the item posted, then they also need to pay for postage and packaging and the packing service which they will not know up front and VAT on top of that.

The other downsides of having free postage are that (i) there is no incentive of making multiple purchases from one seller, as there is not combining of postage costs, and (ii) a seller will get significantly less for their item is if goes to a foreign buyer rather than a domestic buyer. This means there is no incentive to sell worldwide.

I just wanted to mention a seller I had to deal with...
    I bid on an auction for a collectors doll house. I was overjoyed I won it and paid for it ASAP. Postage was about $20, which I thought for a dolls house was reasonable. It was in
    parts and needed to be assembled, which was fine.

It arrived in a large box, and I couldn't wait to open it. OMG when I did I got hit with a urine smell, like something had urinated in it. As I took the parts out I saw mouse or rat droppings all over it, it had yellow stains on most of it and it was sticky.

After disinfecting where the box was and putting the box and contents outside. I contacted the seller to complain. She told me I was making it all up, that it was in perfectly clean condition when it left her...yeah right! She had no interest in letting me return it for a full refund, so I went to PayPal. They sided with me as her listing description was not correct.

I had to pay to return it registered post at my own expense, but they refunded the purchase price plus my original postage. I was out of pocket by $25.

Like the previous poster, this seller was just getting rid of her rubbish. GRRRR
    I recently sold a swamp creature set for £5 free postage. the seller opened up a case not has described for the set not being has big has it looks in the picture. Even though i pulled the exact description from the Lego site which states part size etc, I ended refunding her and telling her to keep it. Just one one the many flaws in ebays new defect system.
    Why on earth do people post things back??? It is a waste of money. It is just cheaper to relist at 99p and let it go for whatever.
    A few years ago I bought a job lot of train parts. In the photo they looked OK, but a lot of the rails where broken or very dirty. I complained and the seller allowed me to return if I paid, but it would cost a lot as it was a 3 kg job lot. So I took out 300-400 grams worth of bricks that I wanted and relisted it stating condition was poor and needed a clean. Buyers went ballistic and I ended up in plus.... The buyer even thanked me afterwards as I was a bit worried he would complain, but I had stated the condition correctly so he was happy.
    So while urin (from a rat) is unpleasant, a buyer might buy it to clean as long as they now about it before hand. So instead of being $25 out of pocket you might only be $10!
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    ^ Because paypal will refund the buyer the cost of what you bought and original postage charges as well as postage to return the goods. And rightly so if someones sending items not as described.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,451
    ^^Plus that logic only really works is you assume that the item sells for close to as much as bought for, otherwise you could end up more out of pocket.
    @Norlego the doll house was described as complete and in new unopened condition, which is why I bought it. It was incomplete, not even a complete floor, it was dirty and with urine and mouse or rat droppings. I put in a Not as described and the photos I took is why Pay pal sided with me. But they make you return the item, they won't let you keep it. To get your refund you MUST prove you have posted it back to the seller. Which of course sucks big time.
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 1,017
    Yes, the whole eBay system is difficult. On one hand you have sellers that are scammers and sell things that aren't as described. In this case, when you want to return the item you're out of pocket from the returned tracked postage. I think that in this case, the seller should have to pay the return postage. On the other hand you can have buyers that don't read the description or change their mind when the item is delivered. This has happened to me before (they didn't read the description fully). Ebay said that they could return the item for a full refund including the original postage, which would mean that the seller is out of pocket.
    The point is you could have sold it and told of state and somebody might well have bought it. I have sold things for more than they cost new! Ebay is strange world. Of course if your item was expensive it might be a risk. I seldom buy expensive items on ebay.
    The point is you could have sold it and told of state and somebody might well have bought it. I have sold things for more than they cost new! Ebay is strange world. Of course if your item was expensive it might be a risk. I seldom buy expensive items on ebay.
    edited May 2014
    I would love you has a buyer.....
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Norlego said:

Ebay is strange world.

So true. I sold a $75+ LEGO set on eBay recently and the buyer shared with me that they loved eBay and loved spending their eBay 'cash', because they got the LEGO set for 'free'. That told me that buyer bought a ton of stuff on eBay.

It is funny how people can get tunnel vision like that. I'm sure a lot of people buy stuff on Amazon without price comparing, because they simply buy so much on Amazon. You can take 'eBay' and insert Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc for some people's retailer of choice.

For me,no one place has the lowest price on everything, even Walmart or Amazon. I pretty much always comparison shop. Course, I'm a tight wad! :-)

I would love you has a buyer.....

I would love to buy from you. The last lego i bought was 10kg of pure sorted castle lego for £30. So i dont need castle, but i could do with 10 kgs of space lego for £30 please.
    Norlego said:

augen said:

@Norlego‌ How am I wrong? I've made two statement, one that the customer experience would be better if P&P charges were included in the selling price which is clearly true and two, everyone would know exactly where they stand as the costs are transparent. Irrespective of whether you have trouble with multiplication, it's still fairer than you charging customers for things that you do not disclose.
    Norlego said:

There is no way in hell I would ever sell that, I wanted to burn it. The post office said I could only post it if it was well wrapped in plastic and tape, as it was a Biohazard.

What would the description say:...
    Incomplete dolls house, has two walls, a bed, two dolls, some part books as it was a weekly part collection that I started and never finished. It has been stored in the garage for the last 10 years uncovered. We did have a mouse/rat plague that got into the shed, I think it's ok, but I'm not touching it just in case, I might catch some disease...but your welcome to bid on it, you might find the smell pleasing. Don't worry about the sticky yellow stains, I think they will wash off, though I'm not sure. So if your willing to take a chance and give me your money, I'll take it gladly, otherwise I will have to take this lot to the dump where I am sure it belongs.

You know what they say "one mans junk, is another mans treasure" so so true.
    thenos
    augen said:

@Norlego‌ How am I wrong? I've made two statement, one that the customer experience would be better if P&P charges were included in the selling price which is clearly true and two, everyone would know exactly where they stand as the costs are transparent. Irrespective of whether you have trouble with multiplication, it's still fairer than you charging customers for things that you do not disclose.

So simple disclosure of the postage price is what is needed, not P&P included in all items.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    Not exactly the right thread but I have a general eBay question. I was shipping abroad to France for the Charity Reseller Challenge(bubble envelope). The whole transaction was through eBay using the confirmed address which the buyer has checked and confirmed again today.

When I check the tracking, it says 5/31/14 address not located/6/6/14 address not located/6/17/14 addressee refused. It now appears to be on the way back to me in the USA.

Does anyone know how the seller and buyer protection will work in this case? I have shipped to the address I was supposed to but what are my responsibilities and financial exposure regarding potential refund and reshipping? Thanks,
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2014
    ^ If you sent to the paypal address and the transaction was "seller protection eligible," you should be ok. Though this is overseas, so who the hell knows what hidden sneaky clauses Ebay has to deal with that.

On another note/rant, the biggest problem with Ebay's buyer protection is that it doesn't protect you from being out the return post. Example: I bought a "new" Hallmark ornament that had a tiny figure that was clearly broken and re-glued. Going through the motions, I got back my original payment and original shipping (which was free anyway), but I still had to pay for it to be returned. Net, I'm out $5 because of someone else's fault, yay.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    edited June 2014
    When you receive it back check the contents and if it is all there send the buyer a cancel transaction request and refund shortly after if and only if they accept the cancellation (only choose "buyer changed mind" or you get a defect). If they still want the item I would ship it back out to them free of charge - not worth the neg/neutral / defect/headache over such a small sum of money.

Always google map an address to make sure it is valid prior to sending. Always make sure the address on ebay labels matches the address on their paypal account. As a seller it is your job to make sure your buyers are smart enough to know their own addresses (and alot won't).

Extra bonus tip - first class, priority or express mail includes free return shipping to the sender if it is undeliverable. Anything else (parcel select, media mail etc) and you will be charged to have the item sent back to you.
  • legogregorslegogregors Member Posts: 402
    @TheLoneTensor and @doriansdad thanks for the advice. I was tempted to test the waters with seller protection. Having checked on google map it appears to be a valid address and matched both paypal and ebay as seller protection eligible.

It seems to be more of a USPS issue with delivery(the addressee refused note makes it seem like they were in the wrong place), is there any hope appealing to them for reshipment or refund? Am I throwing good money after bad if I ship again to the same address or a different one if provided? I don't want to waste another $9.97. Thanks again,
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959

^ If you sent to the paypal address and the transaction was "seller protection eligible," you should be ok. Though this is overseas, so who the hell knows what hidden sneaky clauses Ebay has to deal with that.

On another note/rant, the biggest problem with Ebay's buyer protection is that it doesn't protect you from being out the return post. Example: I bought a "new" Hallmark ornament that had a tiny figure that was clearly broken and re-glued. Going through the motions, I got back my original payment and original shipping (which was free anyway), but I still had to pay for it to be returned. Net, I'm out $5 because of someone else's fault, yay.

Phone eBay and put a complaint in. They more often than not refund you for your shipping costs.

• doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    edited June 2014

Precisely why I buy on Amazon instead of ebay. Managed returns will be mandatory in time and when it is I will start buying again on ebay.

• TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Yeah well that doesn't work in general with collectibles. You will pay about 1.5x on Amazon as you would Ebay for trinkets. I didn't say I'm going to do something so ignorant as abandoning Ebay as an option because I was shafted out of $5 one time. I'll use Ebay when it makes sense to use them, and I'll use other avenues when it makes sense to use them.
    dougtslego007

Yeah well that doesn't work in general with collectibles. You will pay about 1.5x on Amazon as you would Ebay for trinkets. I didn't say I'm going to do something so ignorant as abandoning Ebay as an option because I was shafted out of $5 one time. I'll use Ebay when it makes sense to use them, and I'll use other avenues when it makes sense to use them.

I can't remember getting shafted via EBay. Everything that I have either bought or sold has been a fairly smooth transaction. I have had a person cancel an order, but that's fine. He was very apologetic. I have been shafted more using Bricklink. Maybe I have been extremely lucky. Even if I get shafted by using EBay, it won't deter me from future purchases.

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,621
    ^ That's funny, I've been shafted both places.
    Redbullgivesuwind
    oldtodd33 said:

^ That's funny, I've been shafted both places.

You didn't get shafted by me ;)
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,621
    No, I didn't. But I was shafted more than once before Paypal and insurance, so it's been a while.
    Pitfall69
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,451
    ^i only recently started reusing ebay because I'd had trouble back in the old days of ebay. It's much more of a buyer friendly market these days.
  • NikaliptusNikaliptus AustraliaMember Posts: 27

@TheLoneTensor and @doriansdad thanks for the advice. I was tempted to test the waters with seller protection. Having checked on google map it appears to be a valid address and matched both paypal and ebay as seller protection eligible.

It seems to be more of a USPS issue with delivery(the addressee refused note makes it seem like they were in the wrong place), is there any hope appealing to them for reshipment or refund? Am I throwing good money after bad if I ship again to the same address or a different one if provided? I don't want to waste another $9.97. Thanks again,

I don't know how useful this is with your problem, especially as this is probably more tied into addressing letters than parcels, but past experience of sending a lot of mail to people overseas has taught me that a surprising number of people do not know how to correctly address mail to themselves, so before I address the envelope, as well as checking Google, I check the basic layout of the address against this helpful guide from Royal Mail; http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Addressing-your-items-Western-Europe. I note that as well as providing the basic format for French addresses, it specifies 'When addressing mail to France, write the addressee’s surname in CAPITAL letters'. It would seem very pedantic of the delivery person to fail to deliver it based on not using captials, but I guess you never know...

Having said that, I've also experienced USPS repeatedly failing to deliver a (domestic) parcel to my US shipping address, even though the sender had addressed it correctly, so it's quite possibly an error on their behalf, but I wouldn't have thought they would actually be the ones making the final delivery in France; rather they would be relying on a local carrier to complete the delivery. The sender in my case said he was going to try to make a claim to USPS for all the runaround and (superficial) damage to the item from repeatedly sending it halfway across the country before returning it to the sender, but I never heard back from him what the outcome was, and I was fed up with the whole situation by the time it finally arrived, so didn't bother to chase it up.

Best of luck with resolving the issue.