Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Art of the Brick

prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
The Art of the Brick at Discovery Times Square is now open.

discoverytsx.com/exhibitions/art-of-the-brick

Comments

• Canuck26Canuck26 Member Posts: 55
    Saw it in Park City, Utah this spring. I had previously seen Nathan Sawaya's work in photographs but to see it in an exhibit was an entirely different experience. If anyone has the opportunity I would highly recommend it.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,242
    ^ Agreed, I saw it in Singapore this year at the Art Science Museum and it just didn't compare to photographs! I snagged the exhibit book, too, I love it.
  • LegoMom1LegoMom1 Member Posts: 652
    Just saw Nathan Sawaya's- The Art of the Brick exhibit. If you are able to get to NYC- do not miss this. It was spectacular. Also, at the end, we were given a brick that we wrote our name on and added it to a huge display. The artist will be using these bricks in a future work. Any bricks not used will be donated to a children's charity. Nice going Nathan!
    khmellymel
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    I had to bump this old thread because I attended Nathan Sawaya's show yesterday and was just blown away. The creativity was incredibly inspirational - it almost makes me feel guilty for building from instructions pretty much exclusively.

I noticed in an article about the show that a miniature version of his piece 'Yellow' has been submitted to LEGO Ideas:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/17353
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^It was an exceptionally awesome exhibit wasn't it? Was very happy to have caught it in the flesh a couple months ago too.

My favorite one was the "Red Dress" piece he did with Dean West. As well as inspiring with the Starry Nights rendition.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,460

I had to bump this old thread because I attended Nathan Sawaya's show yesterday and was just blown away. The creativity was incredibly inspirational - it almost makes me feel guilty for building from instructions pretty much exclusively.

I noticed in an article about the show that a miniature version of his piece 'Yellow' has been submitted to LEGO Ideas:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/17353

Thanks for the heads-up about the "Small YELLOW" LEGO Ideas submission - supported.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    Went to NYC for 2 days last summer and just couldn't fit the exhibit into my schedule. Really kicking myself for that because I won't be going to the east coast anytime soon.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    @BrickDancer I just had to Google 'Red Dress' because it wasn't ringing any bells, and sure enough it was not at the exhibition I attended, alas. My favourite from those I saw was Emergence of an Artist because the subject matter really resonated with me.

@drdavewatford‌ you're welcome, I'd love to have it on my shelf one day - hoping @glenbricker‌ might feature it in a home page article some day in his coverage of Cuusoo/Ideas projects [/nudge].