Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Pirates 2015

2»

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,652
    Would a return of Islanders or a similar subtheme be welcome to Pirate enthusiasts or would it just be a distraction and take away product slots from the ships and forts that might be more desirable? I remember being awed by the large Islanders set as a kid, but only ever could afford the two tiny ones, the King K. and the Crocodile Cage.
    weevin
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,418
    I like to see a merchant ship of some kind so the pirates have something to plunder. But any subtheme would be welcome otherwise the soldiers are just picking on the poor pirates for them being pirates and not what they done.
    bobabricks
  • Peter1975Peter1975 DeventerMember Posts: 164
    I'd like to see, the ships are more real like the first one. Especially using ropes.
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    Ropes are definitely realistic, but they are a pain when it comes to playability. My BSB and the Schooner both have the sails and rigging removed because we got so tired of snagging this or that. That's one area where the IF nailed it: the removable deck makes it perfect for playing and displaying.
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092

Would a return of Islanders or a similar subtheme be welcome to Pirate enthusiasts or would it just be a distraction and take away product slots from the ships and forts that might be more desirable? I remember being awed by the large Islanders set as a kid, but only ever could afford the two tiny ones, the King K. and the Crocodile Cage.

As a devoted LEGO pirate fan, I would still welcome a return of Islanders, although that would be my least favorite. Primarily I'd like Pirates and Blue coat soldiers (since the 2009 wave came with red coats). Next would be Pirates + red coats or conquistadors, don't really have a preference. And finally I'd welcome Pirates + Islanders.

But as long as there are pirate ships involved, good old fashion muskets, and chests of gold, I'm happy.

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    ^Chests of "pearl gold" :)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,871
    @cheshirecat‌ I still have the box for my Black Seas Barracuda as well. Mine is not pristine (built and played with as a kid) but it is the only set I still have the box for from my childhood :)
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,033
    I think we could see a whole new opposition here. With pirates "anchoring" down the theme perhaps a native/pioneer type show down could appear. Similar to that of mill village raid.

Ah yes, Classic Pirates taking what's rightfully theirs. Everything in sight. All will be made right by Pirates in 2015?
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited May 2014
    Yaargh!

(Just gettin inta tha spirit o' things... why ain'tn't we awwll taarkin' like pirates in this ere thread? Thaaat's what I wants ta' know) ;o)
    piratemania7Bumblepants
    Because it's late...and it's only Wednesday. : )
    legomatt
    edited May 2014
    ^ That'd explain it, as it's 2:47am on a Thursday where I am. :oP
    Pitfall69

I think we could see a whole new opposition here. With pirates "anchoring" down the theme perhaps a native/pioneer type show down could appear. Similar to that of mill village raid.

Ah yes, Classic Pirates taking what's rightfully theirs. Everything in sight. All will be made right by Pirates in 2015?

Then the Lego Vikings came and kicked the crap out of everyone :)

edited May 2014
    ^ And then the dinosaurs came... and they died.

(Lego seems to have got its history/Air Plane backwards).
    edited May 2014
    "...Then Prince Charles starting wearing all of..."
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Pitfall69 said:

^Chests of "pearl gold" :)

Please no...that would ruin the whole theme for me!

I also considered this as well and think it'd be a great idea. Instead of rehashing one of the classic pirate opposition, give us a new one!
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    gmonkey76 said:

I like to see a merchant ship of some kind so the pirates have something to plunder. But any subtheme would be welcome otherwise the soldiers are just picking on the poor pirates for them being pirates and not what they done.

Well in the most recent non licensed pirates theme from 2009 Lego made the pirates look like the good guys (you can tell who is the bad guys because Lego makes them pretty stupid in the ads :P Still to this day I'm trying to figure out how the pirates were good guys by stealing treasure from the imperials...
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    They could have been Robin Hooding it up - stealing from the rich imperials to give to the poor...because thats obviously what pirates did......
    I think Pirates II was a modern continuation of the classic Pirate/Soldier back and forth. So it would be great to move away from that a bit and explore a bigger port of some sort, a pirate island/hideout and again more of a civilian component.
    I would like to see a full Armada line. They only had one ship and it was a small ship at that and it was reissued a few years later.
  • Sethro3Sethro3 United StatesMember Posts: 819
    New pirates will be more than welcomed. Especially since LOTR is essentially no more and I missed out on the previous offering. I thankfully did pick up the Imperial Flagship though.

I don't know if a whole theme will come about. They wanted people to name the ship at the very least. I think pirate ships sell well enough they probably wouldn't have to release a whole theme, but it sounds like it would be a hit.
    They announced a winner of the naming competition: The Brick Bounty.

Not sure about it; my initial reaction was "doesn't this sound familiar?"

The individual has won a signed copy of the set when it is released.
    legomattandhe
    ^ Same reaction here. I forgot to enter, and glad of it, as the winning entry sounds pretty uninspired. Makes me wonder whether the comp was more of a 'guess the name we're looking for' competition. Very derivative. Makes no difference to the set, of course, but still... I would've quite liked to have seen something original or unusual that sticks in the memory.
    Pitfall69
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Having a great ship like the IF #10210 only come with four cannons, yet be designed for eight really bothered me when I build it. Cannon Battle #6239 was a great set to complete the armament of the IF. Plus it also included a pirate and a soldier to increase the crews/armies.
  • hewmanhewman Member Posts: 90
    I hope the set design is more inspired than the set name. I must have seen 100 decent names while scrolling through people's submissions that were way more interesting than 'Brick Bounty'.
  • HardradaHardrada Member Posts: 439

They announced a winner of the naming competition: The Brick Bounty.

How original. /sarcasm

Brick Bounty right after Brickbeard's Bounty. It would be a challenge to find a more boring / cliché name. What's next? A 'Name the next Castle' contest where the winning entry turns out to be King's Castle?
    yys4umnbvc
    Hardrada said:

Brick Bounty right after Brickbeard's Bounty.

Well that makes it even worse, considering the first rule of the competition was: The name must be original and cannot have been used before in other commercial relations . It's borderline at even the most lenient of interpretations, hardly original having all words used before on a pre-existing lego ship.

No only that, both 'SCILENT5' (on page 22) and 'LEGOBUFFPRODUCTIONS' (on page 33) both suggested it. :oD
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 893
    I just saw the announcement on the Rebrick page and wondered whether it had been picked up on Brickset. As @legomatt says the competition said:

'The names will be reviewed based on creativity, originality and relation to theme'.

Granted it has a relation to the theme but creative? Original? It is not.

I like the way they may be back tracking on the name as well:

'And obviously the chance to have their name suggestion be the name of the actual LEGO pirate ship… We cannot make any promises, but we’ve been told that the designers REALLY like the name. So fingers crossed!'

Does that basically mean, 'thanks guys but actually we'll have a different name'

@legomatt on only presume that 'LEGOBUFFPRODUCTIONS' suggested the name before the other person.

I have a suspicion that the release will just be VERY similar to Brickbeard's bounty. I hope it's not and it's going to be on the scale of Imperial Flagship because this has to be one, if not, my favourite set.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,401
    Perhaps TLG had already picked the name and was just waiting to award the first person to select what they already had picked out.

There's a saying in our house: When my wife wants to know what I'm thinking, what she really wants to know is what she's thinking in a lower voice.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,256
    edited May 2014
    The issue is that 'well crafted' to LEGO now means 'Creator Expert' or 'Modular' So I would not expect anything more than 6242 in terms of another outpost.. unless again it falls into the aforementioned categories. Wonder if they will simply redo the Imperial flagship again or if they will do another large creator expert type ship.. If they do one at all that is.
    Oh, and I think we can do without ANOTHER White and red striped sailed ship please.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    legomatt said:

^ Same reaction here. I forgot to enter, and glad of it, as the winning entry sounds pretty uninspired. Makes me wonder whether the comp was more of a 'guess the name we're looking for' competition. Very derivative. Makes no difference to the set, of course, but still... I would've quite liked to have seen something original or unusual that sticks in the memory.

Amen, lame. I wonder if second place was Plastic Pirate Boat or Toy Ship.

Bumblepants
    edited May 2014
    msanders said:

I have a suspicion that the release will just be VERY similar to Brickbeard's bounty. I hope it's not and it's going to be on the scale of Imperial Flagship because this has to be one, if not, my favourite set.

It would be pretty funny if the actual set is a simplified version of Brickbeard's Bounty, and happens to get the name 'Brick Bounty'. I guess they'll have just shaved a bit off. ;oP Whoops.

*Ssshtoom!-Praai-aiy-aiy-yaing-AAAAAAAGH SHHHHH%T!*
    (The sound of a lego exec shooting harpoon in own foot).