Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego movie "fail" in New Zealand

I cannot believe that my fellow kiwi's could get offended by Vitruvius description of "Middle Zealand", a "wondrous land full of knights, castles, mutton, torture weapons, poverty, leeches, illiteracy, and, um ... dragons.".

Really people, our country was singled out in this world wide movie release!!!!, Come on!!!!
NZ Herald - "Film damns 'Middle Zealand"

Comments

• Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    ....just what? This is a trivial thing to complain about, as there weren't even referring to New Zealand. As far as I know, they were making a joke to do with the Middle Earth franchise. Since the franchise was filmed in New Zealand, and the word was called Middle Earth, they obviously decided to merge both to create Middle Zealand.

I'm not sure how that's offensive at all, it's like that time when a group in Turkey wanted Jabba's Palace discontinued for "resembling a mosque and terrorists". Now that I remember it, it was a stupid thing to complain about, and they should have directed criticism at Lucas.
    bobabricks
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,222
    edited April 2014
    Obviously a slow news day in NZ - what a bunch of [email protected]
    Wil348 said:

Since the franchise was filmed in New Zealand, and the word was called Middle Earth, they obviously decided to merge both to create Middle Zealand.

The article says as much, which makes their interpretation even more absurd.
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    Haha, I saw that column, and wondered why it even got printed? Its possibly the worst piece of journalism I've read.

I couldn't believe the family quoted in the piece interpreted the scene as they did. I took it as a description of the middle ages, not a description of modern-day New Zealand.

I'm getting a bit sick of kiwis overreacting and being so precious about things like this.
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    I for one, didn't give a toss. They didn't even spell 'Zeeland' correctly, anyway....
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,049
    These sorts of stories are just slow news day fodder. The headline might as well be "someone who doesn't understand context of random joke gets offended" and that headline would be all that's needed for the story.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,315
    Wil348 said:

I'm not sure how that's offensive at all, it's like that time when a group in Turkey wanted Jabba's Palace discontinued for "resembling a mosque and terrorists".

They weren't actually in Turkey, they were the Turkish Cultural Community of Austria.
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    CCC said:

Wil348 said:

I'm not sure how that's offensive at all, it's like that time when a group in Turkey wanted Jabba's Palace discontinued for "resembling a mosque and terrorists".

They weren't actually in Turkey, they were the Turkish Cultural Community of Austria.
    Oh.....thought it was Turkey or Austria. Thanks for correcting me. :)