Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Sawgrass Mills LEGO Store in Sunrise, FL Postponed

coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
edited October 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
"The Grand Opening of the LEGO Store at Sawgrass Mills has been postponed. Please stay tuned for more information." - It's what says at LEGO.com (http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Sunrise/LandingPage.aspx). The grand opening was scheduled for this Friday, 28th. Does anyone have any info on this? Any clues on when this store will be opening?

Comments

• MrDenningsMrDennings Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    If I was too fancy a guess based on the state of Construction that's visible to the public (via slits in the Work in progress facade that currently surrounds the store) I'd say a month at least, though I will admit that they are making progress! When I stopped by last week it looked like they had completed the store front (which was missing the week before) and there were a lot of people there working on it, however as of last Monday they were still in the construction phase of the setup so there was a lot of drywall about and no sign of a single lego product to be had. I hope I'm wrong and they are only a week or two away however, what I've seen so far does not make me think this is a possibility (now I will freely admit I have little to no construction experience and my ability to view the progress is VERY limited so I may be utterly and totally wrong, please take my ranting here with a grain of salt.)
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Try asking the construction foreman... you never know, he might have an answer for you. ;o)
    I don't know how easy of a task that would be, they have one of those work inprogress walls up so the construction crew is seperated from the rest of the mall. there is a Door however I just don't see anyone answering it for just anyone who knocks.
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Of course that does make it a bit more difficult if the workers are behind a wall, and I don't know the exact situation. I thought maybe if you were there regularly, perhaps you might see a worker out & about (coming or going). Anyway, I always say, "you never find out unless you try (ask)" .....

Perhaps mall management might have an idea? Or, a new store needs employees - lots of time there is a poster with contact info on those construction walls, or the mall may have a contact number for store hiring.... maybe that person would have an opening ETA?
    I dont know if you've seen the other post on this subject but as of yesterday, while the Construction barrier was still infront of the store, there were employees Hard at work stocking the shelves. In my humble opinion i'm guessing that the store should be open by this weekend, I'll be stoping by again on Wednesday to see what progress has been made.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    edited November 2011
    I'm thinking it's going to be this weekend also, so they can get the best of Black Friday.
    I was at the Lego Store in Aventura on Thursday and they had two workers there who were training for the SawGrass Mills store. They told me last week that it was probably going to be this coming weekend.
    Now that's not official, but I think they MAY be privvy to that sort of info since they are the ones who are going to be moving in to that store.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    Well.. now I have something to do after breakfast on Saturday. :-)
  • coolpixcoolpix Member Posts: 357
    edited November 2011
    The Sunrise Store landing page says it's still postponed. http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Sunrise/LandingPage.aspx.

It's fair to think that it must be opening this weekend, so they can get prepared for Black Friday the following week. I was Store Manager at GameStop at Sawgrass Mills Mall a few years back, and that mall goes nuts during Black Friday. Stores get hammered, and you need to have a prepared crew to deal with it, so if they intend to take the most out of this holiday season at this store, they better open this weekend to get a bit of "on-site" training.

Since the store's official landing page is pretty much useless, I will not rely on it and will pass by the store this weekend, hoping to snatch one of those grand opening sets.
  • brickbuilder711brickbuilder711 Member Posts: 14
    When I delivered the Brand Ribbon models on Tuesday I forgot to ask when the grand open was but the soft opening is tomorrow. It should be ready for business.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6109/6348894165_a31701d9fe_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6114/6348999647_366bb60301_b.jpg
    Tomorrow Thursday or tomorrow Friday? you did post at 12:02
    edited November 2011
    @brickbuilder711 Nice pictures! It's very cool to see that this store is at least twice the size of Aventura's, which was my previous "Local" store. Now, a "Soft Opening" is just opening the doors for Business to start selling, without any special promotions or commemorative sets specific to the store?
    If anyone knows if they are open today, please let us know. I'll probably shoot by after work today. Thanks!
    The Sawgrass Mills Mall store is now open for business!

They have the new Dino sets. I picked up 5882 Ambush Attack so I could check it out. Also picked up some train tracks for my newly acquired Holiday train set.

BTW, they will be open at 10pm on Thanksgiving for Brick Friday. It's gonna be a long day!
    edited November 2011
    @brickbuilder711 Nice pictures! It's very cool to see that this store is at least twice the size of Aventura's, which was my previous "Local" store. Now, a "Soft Opening" is just opening the doors for Business to start selling, without any special promotions or commemorative sets specific to the store?
    Thanks. Yes, a Soft opening is probably a conduit to settle the employees into the atmosphere of the store, as well. They don't promote anything until the actual grand opening. In my $0.02 it is even more than three times than Aventura, which only has a 2x3 brick on the ceiling. I can tell this one will be very popular.

To see the display models that in fact were in my home, here is my video. I know the Company BRs are on permanent display, so how nice for me to be a part of the store, literally! This is the 'completion episode' to show most of the 99 in their completion (forgot to unbox Spongebob sets)

I saw the displays. Very nice. I live in Sunrise so this is way more convenient. I hated driving to Aventura. I'll be there for Brick Friday (or 10pm on Thursday anyway)
    Does anyone know if they have the Free Pick a Brick Box when you spend $75?
  • PlanetshantelPlanetshantel Member Posts: 2
    Yes, they have a sign in the wondow advertising it.
    Confirmed.
    Did they have any other specials going on? I'm not expecting the Grand opening stuff but I'm wondering if there's anything I missed reading about.
    @brickbuilder711 Yes, I followed all your videos. Really impressive stuff. It must be cool to walk into that store and realize that you are the one that assembled all those sets. All those bricks have your finger prints on them. Pretty cool.

I am planning a visit to the store this weekend. 3 times the size of Aventura is more than I expected. I am glad that this is my home store now.
    edited November 2011
    Also, anyone knows if they have the holiday sets available? 3300002 and 3300020? I've read somewhere that 3300002 was put up for sale at LEGO Stores while supplies last for $10. Anyone confirm seeing it at Sawgrass store?
    I didn't see any BUT I wasn't really looking since I already have it. You could call the store and see if they have them. I forgot to look for the wedding set while I was there.
  • krklintkrklint Member Posts: 503
    @Coolpix, I was at Sawgrass store today. They did not have either 3300002 nor 3300020. The one with Santa, I was told, would probably show up the day after Black Friday. I also asked if they would have a Grand Opening... might not happen due to Black Friday.

The store is 30% longer than Adventura (Adventura has 40 specific target-market zones, where Sawgrass has 60 specific target-market zones). The PAB wall is same size as Adventura, though :( and the selection sent from LEGO for the PAB wall was, in my opinion, very disapointing for a new PAB wall... looks like I might have to drive to Orlando to find a cool PAB wall this month. I normally fill 3 large cups on a visit, I left with only one cup full. Oh, the PAB wall was 18 bins wide by 6 (? I think it was 6) bins high).

@MrDennings: yes, they do have the free holiday box with $75 purchase. Did I miss any questions asked above? I hope not... if I did, I'll try to answer them tomorrow or next week.

Oh, they were still adjusting shelves and placing products, like watches and big-head LEGO storage containers, this morning... and not all of the product prices were in their system yet... new computer and all...
    The PAB wall at SGS, as of Tuesday, was very disappointing but delivering the BRs I got to see the exact stock, and they have a couple of good elements, 1x2 plate with center rod, Dark Tan 2x2 tile, and left dark red wing in the back. Compared to Aventura the PAB wall is even larger, a whole 24 bins. The length is not only about 30% longer, the width is too as the brick configuration in the ceiling gives it away that you're in a much bigger store. It's sad to hear no G/O as there's no special model, unlike Miami where the pink/lime Art Deco tower was there.
    Yes, I was expecting something special for a Grand Opening, like the one they had in Aventura. I've heard of stores having their Grand Opening weeks or months after their soft opening, so let's hope for this to happen.

@krklint Thanks a lot for the info! Planning a family trip to the store today with the kids to get to know it. I'll try not to buy anything as I am waiting for Black Friday for the better deals, plus I intend to use the 40% of BN coupon today at my nearest BN Store to get some new sets.
    edited November 2011
    Well, finally went to the store today ( I mean yesterday - it's past midnight), and I thought I'd share my experience with you guys.

First of all, I was impressed by it's size. Really spacious, with lots of room for hoards of crazy LEGO customers during the holiday season! The store was extremely clean and organized, and I had at least 4 employees coming to me and asking me if I needed help - in my mind I was thinking "I am an AFOL, dude... I know about every set you have for sale here!" - Lol! But that is a lot better than being ignored.

The Pick-a-brick wall is definitely bigger than Aventura's, but I agree with krklint that the selection was disappointing. Mostly 2x4's and some bins had even them doubled, like the orange 2x4's were in two bins not far from each other. I usually buy at least one big cup every time I go to a LEGO store, but not this time.

Again, the staff was helpful, but we can feel the fear in them. Most are probably new to retail itself, and looked really scared. I always found the Aventura staff to be a lot more "laid back". Anyway, an employee came to me while I was inspecting a "Grand Emporim" box - my next purchase - and asked me "do you like this set?", and I said "Yes, very much", and then he quickly showed me a Pet Shop set and said "do you know you can connect these two sets to make one big set? They are modular!", and I replied "Yes, I know" while laughing inside. A sales pitch like that never happened to me on the other LEGO stores I've been before. I suppose this kid was well-trained to up sell a bunch of these sets emphasizing the compelling selling point of them being modular! Lol!

All in all, I enjoyed being there. Will definitely come to this store at least twice a month. This time i bought only a couple of small sets for myself (6743 and 853353), and one for each kid I have (3), just to not leave the store empty-handed. I will save most of my money for the day-after-xmas sale.
    edited November 2011
    Well, finally went to the store today ( I mean yesterday - it's past midnight), and I thought I'd share my experience with you guys.

First of all, I was impressed by it's size. Really spacious, with lots of room for hoards of crazy LEGO customers during the holiday season! The store was extremely clean and organized, and I had at least 4 employees coming to me and asking me if I needed help - in my mind I was thinking "I am an AFOL, dude... I know about every set you have for sale here!" - Lol! But that is a lot better than being ignored.

>>I do like its size. Aventura is ridiculously teeny but I guess cost of rent is so high in that mall it's not even funny. Sawgrass is an outlet mall so I believe things can be bigger.

The Pick-a-brick wall is definitely bigger than Aventura's, but I agree with krklint that the selection was disappointing. Mostly 2x4's and some bins had even them doubled, like the orange 2x4's were in two bins not far from each other. I usually buy at least one big cup every time I go to a LEGO store, but not this time.

>>Agreed, I wasn't that happy when they said they double stocked parts, knowing that good elements were back there (See previous reply I posted)

Again, the staff was helpful, but we can feel the fear in them. Most are probably new to retail itself, and looked really scared. I always found the Aventura staff to be a lot more "laid back".

>>The manager is a fairly nice person to talk to but he is a bit bossy. Delivery day was like a boot camp, so I believe the stress from days before, and as you supposed for them to be new, reflected on them. The other employees are a pretty cool crowd of people, and I would suppose time will allow them to acquaint themselves better.
    Anyway, an employee came to me while I was inspecting a "Grand Emporim" box - my next purchase - and asked me "do you like this set?", and I said "Yes, very much", and then he quickly showed me a Pet Shop set

>>...The one I built? ;)

and said "do you know you can connect these two sets to make one big set? They are modular!", and I replied "Yes, I know" while laughing inside. A sales pitch like that never happened to me on the other LEGO stores I've been before. I suppose this kid was well-trained to up sell a bunch of these sets emphasizing the compelling selling point of them being modular! Lol!

>>Tell them you know the guy who built these sets. ;) It sure is hard, not impossible to tell AFOL from the common folk but I do get bugged inside when I get that. ;) Once I was at Aventura and the lady was like "what are you going to build?" and I believe I was asked that on my 6/11/10 visit, the day after the soft-opening. I bought 2x PAB (For the bypass canal) and a Tank Truck that evening. Though, I am 17 so people would think oddly if they see me hoarding PAB for hours on end or just looking at sets for ever, but a lot of teens show up at the store just hanging around.
    anyone know what time Sawgrass opens for Black Friday? I'd be willing to stand in line with ya'll, if I knew... and yup, I suppose I could call them too ;) but it's more fun to chat with my South FL Lego community :)
    btw, the female manager is really a wonderful person. She gave me a joking "you causing trouble again" (she remembers me from Adventura :) because I pointed out the price of Ramses Pyramid to a few customers, effectively increasing sales while I filled a PAB cup.
    10pm. Sawgrass will be a madhouse.
    edited November 2011
    @Brickbuilder711 Yes i was your modular sets that the guy was showing me! Seeing all your videos before going to the store made me feel somewhat special for having some kind of inside info on the process of putting that store together. I forgot to mention that. It was funny to see the same things I saw on your videos, right there at the store.

I think the staff is great. They will get used to the store and will be even better in the future. Everyone was courteous and helpful. Managers have to be a bit bossy, specially with new employees on a store opening 1 week prior Black Friday. He needs to have those employees in shape for the big day! Next time I'll make sure I mention I know the guy that built all those models! :-)

@Bosstone100 I agree. It's going to be a madhouse! Last year I went to Aventura's LEGO store at around 4:00 pm, and it was crowded, but i know Sawgrass will be a lot worse. At least the store is big and can hold it, but the mall itself will be insane.

@krklint I'd love to be at the store at 10 pm on Thursday and chat, but i will enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with the family, and go on the next day after I wake up. I don't think they'll run out of the sets I am looking to buy. That being said, I think we could setup some kind of LEGO meeting every once in a while for South Florida AFOLs. Store events are also a good opportunity to meet, I believe. There must be one coming soon to this store. They need to fill all the empty space on the floor with some kind of Giant Spongebob! :-)
    Sawgrass' Black Friday begins at 11pm on Thursday? Eeeesh, not a fan of that. Though, since I just moved to Florida, and will only be skyping with the family earlier in the day, I might just make that run... or I'll just have a nice nights sleep :)
    According to the store it's 10pm.
    It is indeed 10pm. I may try to go on Friday if things go as desired and I get the Maersk Train...

The Florida LEGO Users Group, aside from the Greater Florida LEGO Users Group, is an up and coming club that we're trying to set up. I have been trying to hold meetings forever, but the other TFOL part of this aren't cooperating.

If I do get along with Mr. Taylor, the manager, I'm thinking of sending an email asking about there being any provisions for LUG Showcase so we can have the new version of the Window in this nice store. I want Sawgrass to truly be a community store.
    Well, if you need, you can count on me. I am not a TFOL, but I'd like to be part of it. It's a great idea to make Sawgrass a community store. Count me in.
    I'm an AFOL, and I'd be in if possible. I know there has been LUG action up in the Orlando area, but my work schedule doesn't easily allow for the drive from South Miami to Orlando... the drive to Sawgrass, though, only takes me an hour.
    AFOL are fine, and it's perfect. I live north of you, krklint; I thought I was the southernmost active AFOL!
    I am in Coral Springs, 1 mile away from Sawgrass Expwy, so I can be in the store in 10/15 minutes.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    Going this weekend.
    Maybe the afternoon of Black Friday.
    Hoping to pick up a Dino set and grab some bricks off the PaB wall.
    heading out now... go watch and join the crazy people on Thursday night. If anyone ends up at Sawgrass, I'm the guy in shorts and a red hawaian shirt :)
    Just got back. It really wasn't that bad. Lego store was not crowded at all. Picked up the Emerald Night Train (it's listed at 74.98 but isn't ringing up at that price so check your receipt) and a couple of Technic sets to get up to $100 for the PAB box and second Xmas set. Only a 10% discount though. Would loved picking up the modulars/pr death star and a Republic Frigate for my brother but I guess not this year.

BTW, can we go back again and still get another discount card?
    I was there too - and picked up the Emerald night! Great minds... go to Sawgrass :)
    I, too, scored the 10% discount; and for those wondering (I know I was before the purchase), the discount was added on after I reached $100 and had received my pab box and second Christmas set. Which was awesome! Though I would have totally grabbed another $10 worth of magnets had I needed to ;)

Had a great converstation with AFLOer Brian (giving a shout out). Can't wait to see pics of your snow speeder! I'll post pics of my Minnesota Ice Fishing diarama when I'm done with it.

And for anyone who has been looking for the minifigure wedding favour set (853340), I was able to pick it up at the store tonight. The Maersk train was also in stock when I left at midnight.
    Guys, great news! I am going to the store in a few minutes, just got back from Thanksgiving Dinner at my father's! I'll pick up the Emerald Night for sure! If you got 10% off, it was $67.49 in the end, which is an awesome price for that set! Thanks for the great info! Going now!
    4:00 am, and I Just got back! I had Medieval Market in mind, but got Emerald Night and Tantive IV instead. These two are on their way out, and with 25% off, plus 10% from the peel off card, for a total discount of 32.5%, it was almost a no-brainer for me. MMV would only be discounted at 10%, so it was not worth it today, compared to the other deals. Magnets were 50% so I got the one with Boba Fett and Pricess Leia on Bikini outfit. Got the free Holiday set, plus two PAB boxes. All in all, it was all that stuff for pretty much the price of a Tantive IV alone. Not bad at all!

My wife wants to go to the Guess store at Aventura tomorrow in the afternoon, so I will get some extra stuff on Aventura's LEGO store, like the wedding favour set (it was only $7.99) and a couple more magnet sets. If I manage to get a 50% coupon, I'll get either Grand Emporium or Fire Brigade for $75!

A note about the staff: They were really nice today. The girl that processed my purchase asked me to peel off the discount card, and when it showed 10% off, she asked me if I wanted to keep that or quit the purchase. That was awesome. I ended up taking the 10% because I was tired and wanted to go home. She said some woman earlier actually quit the purchase because it was not 50% off! Nuts! She also tried to give me a second free Holiday Santa set - and I did not even asked about it - but the other guy on the registers did not let her.
    A HA! Looks like Sawgrass Lego Store will be having its Grand opening Specials on December 10th and 11th, the first 300 shoppers to spend $35 getting an exclusive minifigure set on Saturday and a free t-shirt on Sunday. However there is no mention of a Mega Build planed for the Grand opening I can only assume that this is due to the Holiday season and utter chaos that usually ensues at Sawgrass Mills during this time of year.
    Awesome! I fly out of state, for the holidays, on the 13th! I'll actually be able to make this Grand Opening :) I was at the Mall of America one last year, and only had to arrive 3 hours early to get the special robot they gave away. I'm liking the minifigures they give out, though, alot! Btw, I have an extra one of the M.O.A. robot somewhere... never got around to trading it yet.
    I'll be there when it opens! I want to have one of these sets! Thanks for the info MrDennings!
    now to figure out how early one needs to show up to be part of the 300!
    Hey MrDennings or Coolpix, I'm still about a 45 min drive from Sawgrass. Do you know what time they plan to open their door on the 10th? for the Grand Opening event? @coolpix, Saw your looking into keeping the pab wall updated on brickbuildr, too. Thank you! Gonna save me some gasoline if you do :)
    never mind, the Lego website has the info updated now: http://stores.lego.com/en-us/Sunrise/LandingPage.aspx#