Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

10244 Fairground Mixer

Comments

• paradisiaparadisia UKMember Posts: 15
    Having watched the video of the set I'm impressed with it and think it will certainly appeal to kids as something different from a static modular building set, and also model fairground enthusiasts from outside the Lego hobby who may utilise some of the design aspects of this set to have a go and create their own fairground rides out of Lego
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    Damn, I was going to get Benny's Spaceship (if it's out in LEGO stores next month), but I might have to get this instead! It looks like it'll go very well with the WVM carousel.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,615
    edited April 2014
    If this sells well I could definitely see LEGO producing more sets released each year like Modular Buildings or Winter Village; hopefully a rollercoaster one day :D

I guess the reason Jaime wanted to make this was because he made mocs of park attraction rides and that's how he got the job at LEGO; so it was a no brainier for him, he is very inspiring.
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2014
    Wow, what a huge dissapointment this set is.

Lego should be quite ashamed of themselves for slapping the Creator expert label on it, just seems far too kiddified, this shouldve been a CITY set, not an exclusive creator xpert set.

Im sure it would be a breeze to build even for a 4 year old
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    The video does show it very nicely. Those minifigs look great, I especially like the juggler and about to throw up guy. The fact it's built to easily take power functions is clever. Will probably be out of my price range but it's still a nice design.
    edited April 2014

Lego should be quite ashamed of themselves for slapping the Creator expert label on it, just seems far too kiddified, this shouldve been a CITY set, not an exclusive creator xpert set.

I don't think LEGO should be ashamed at all, I think the set looks great. I'm not sure if I can see it as kiddified, as there are quite a few things in this that I wouldn't expect to see from a City or regular Creator set.

It's most likely going to be popular with kids, and at the end of the day, that's what LEGO is trying to achieve.

Now I have the difficult task of deciding between this and Benny's Spaceship. Guess it depends if Benny's Spaceship is available late next month.
  • GoldJonoGoldJono Aberdeen, UKMember Posts: 204
    I for one am really impressed by all the clever features and it will go brilliantly with the VIP Hot Dog Stand.
  • TXLegoguyTXLegoguy USMember Posts: 125
    edited April 2014
    I like it especially after seeing the video, that it fits on to the trucks, you can add power functions, and glows in the dark too.
    Dougout
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250

I'm not so sure that'll be true of the main part - the 3 armed carousel that folds up looks like it'll be tricky for younger builders and might teach quite a few some clever techniques.
    At the very least that fact that Jamie Berard designed it should surely make you think you must have missed something if that's your initial reaction. ;)
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,938
    Okay. I had two very different responses.
    My initial response from just seeing the picture was quite negative, bordering on being ticked. Why? Because here is a set in a generic line, at a cool fair with cool rides, with lots of kids... The sort of set any of my kids might really get into, and yet again, Lego focuses a set on vehicles. Who goes to a fair, and sees all the vehicles? Those are behind the scenes. I had hoped for a set on the level of the Carousel.
    Very frustrating. In addition, the initial picture, the set looks like a complete mess.

My second response was after watching the video.
    He is very excited and proud of his work. It is fascinating seeing that he created a model with the idea of vehicles driving to a fair site, with everything packed up. You park and everything gets set-up. Yes, that was pretty cool. In addition, the set comes across far better in the video. It is not a mess of bricks, like in just the photo.

What I am left with....I am fairly neutral. It is cool how everything folds up. I think some will enjoy the sets my girls will have no interest. My son could have mild interest, but I suspect Minecraft will be sucking in our money. I personally do not have interest in this set for a summer display, simply because too many pieces are reserved for the trucks, as opposed to a summer fair piece. Basically, the concept of trucks unloading fair pieces, is a fail for this household in terms of a sale. I can think of other sets I would rather spend my money on for me. A more detailed fairground, or something as cool as the carousel, and I probably would have bought it.
    YellowcastlecheshirecatpharmjodTXLegoguylegomattdougts
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Overall, I actually like it and really like the fact that it folds down into the trailer. That makes it great for me in terms of playability.

BUT...

It just doesn't feel like a $149.99 set to me. I understand it has 1,700+ pieces, but it just doesn't feel like it presents much 'bulk' for that price. Maybe I'm comparing it to things like Haunted House ($30 more) or Arkham Asylum ($10 more), but even so it just doesn't look like a $149.99 set.

Then I think of Medievil Market Village at its price and piece count and I really wonder about this one. I'd be in at $119.99, but just not sure about $149.99.
    madforLEGOmnbvc
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Jamie's done it again! What a cool set, it is fair season after all. The main attraction looks just like something in all the fairs near me. 12 minifigs too, I like how Lego keeps making unique minifigs like the upset stomach guy. This should be a fun, playable set for everyone.

Does anyone happen to know how long the glow in the dark pieces usually keep their glow for?
    TXLegoguy
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Dougout said:

Does anyone happen to know how long the glow in the dark pieces usually keep their glow for?

I imagine that's up to the European Union. ;o)

LegoboyTheBigLegoski
    Jamie really is a great designer. He designed Parisian Restaurant, which is my favourite Modular Building, so I'll probably buy this because he designed it. It would be nice to have a funfair in my LEGO town too!
    TXLegoguy
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    Neat set. I don't get the complaints. It will look great as a centerpiece to any Lego town.
    TXLegoguy
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    It's a cool set, but it's not what I expected. I would have traded the trucks and portability play features for a more detailed model since that is what I expect from the expert series. The carousel in WVM looks far more detailed to me than the mixer.

It looks a lot of fun though so I will probably pick it up.
    dougts
  • Lego91Lego91 GermanyMember Posts: 86
    Well, I saved 130€, I guess that is a good thing. I don't like it at all. Maybe I expected too much. If it goes on sale and is available in the store my Granny worked at. On sale and with her discount it would be okay price-wise. (Under 100€).
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    I've given it time, watched the video and to me it's still disappointing. I too was hoping for something a little grander and whilst the packing up thing is clever I can't help seeing it as a gimmick that severely limited the rest of the build/set. £120 for a system scale truck? Nope never.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    edited April 2014
    This set will go from a maybe to a "should have gotten it" in a couple years when it is retired and another ride like this or the carousel comes out. Maybe LEGO should start a new trend of releasing a fair/amusement park ride at the beginning of each summer? That strategy would likely help sell more.
    TXLegoguyPaperballpark
  • AquapolisAquapolis Member Posts: 31
    I was hopping there will be another truck and it unloads a roller coaster... :D

With that said, I really like the idea as a set. Color/functions/design were pretty ingenious. Definitely getting it.
  • ChrisHallbeckChrisHallbeck Member Posts: 11
    This looks like a great play set. I would have lots of fun designing carnival games (like ring toss or the one where you have to knock the 3 bottles down) to go with it. A cotton candy and hot dog vendor would be good too!
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,546
    edited April 2014
    I'm just echoing what several have said already, @cheshirecat , @tamamahm and others, so won't labour the points unduly. Suffice to say I too feel the plan to have the set 'pack away' onto the trucks has perhaps stolen just a tad too much focus from the actual fairground itself and as such resulted in a set that i ultimately have no desire to see set up on my table. As great the play feature may be for some, my personal preference would be for a more aesthetically appealing fairground when set out.

As it stands, i'd just keep thinking i've got a couple of small trucks and random bits cluttering up a shelf. Of course, i thoroughly appreciate the ingenuity of the designers in solving the design-puzzles it must have presented. The end result just isn't for me.
    UKtsumiVortex
  • LaGriffeLaGriffe Member Posts: 9
    Theres some good points well made here. The video really sells it over the stills, but ultimately there're a lot of interesting sets coming up, some of which I'd find more interesting than this one... I suspect @HokieJoe99 will prove right with the "should have gotten it" comment longer term though :-)
  • legodudelegodude Member Posts: 137
    edited April 2014
    When I first saw the image my initial reaction was 'Oh look a new City set".

Then I saw it was Creator Expert and the rumored Mixer, I was sorely disappointed. It just doesn't have that certain something that sets like the Modular Buildings, Emerald Night, MMV, UCS MF and other Expert sets have. That displayability and attractiveness. This just doesn't echo Fair or Carnival enough. Pass.
    FollowsCloselyTheLoneTensorYellowcastleGCSLegoLego91dougts
  • ericbericb Member Posts: 71
    tamamahm said:

My initial response from just seeing the picture was quite negative, bordering on being ticked...and yet again, Lego focuses a set on vehicles. Who goes to a fair, and sees all the vehicles? Those are behind the scenes. I had hoped for a set on the level of the Carousel...I think some will enjoy the sets my girls will have no interest. My son could have mild interest, but I suspect Minecraft will be sucking in our money. I personally do not have interest in this set for a summer display, simply because too many pieces are reserved for the trucks, as opposed to a summer fair piece. Basically, the concept of trucks unloading fair pieces, is a fail for this household in terms of a sale. I can think of other sets I would rather spend my money on for me. A more detailed fairground, or something as cool as the carousel, and I probably would have bought it.

You're unhappy because the set LEGO chose to produce doesn't meet your expectations, has elements in it which aren't to your liking, and will fail to capture the affection of anyone in your family. Unless you commissioned LEGO to design this set for you and your family, I don't understand this reaction.

No set is going to be a winner with everyone. Obviously, this one isn't for you, and that's cool. But if you must react this way, then be upset with yourself for not liking the set.
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Part of the problem for some is that expectations were raised when we heard rumours of it being Creator Expert and linked to the Modular line (not that it is).

The only reason that I can see this set being Creator Expert is due to the moving parts, take that away and we are left with just a city set.

So yes I am disappointed it is not on the scale and detail of the Grand Carousel, but I still think it is a cool set for what it is and I think it will be popular.

TheLoneTensorMatthewdougts
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,938
    ericb said:

tamamahm said:

My initial response from just seeing the picture was quite negative, bordering on being ticked...and yet again, Lego focuses a set on vehicles. Who goes to a fair, and sees all the vehicles? Those are behind the scenes. I had hoped for a set on the level of the Carousel...I think some will enjoy the sets my girls will have no interest. My son could have mild interest, but I suspect Minecraft will be sucking in our money. I personally do not have interest in this set for a summer display, simply because too many pieces are reserved for the trucks, as opposed to a summer fair piece. Basically, the concept of trucks unloading fair pieces, is a fail for this household in terms of a sale. I can think of other sets I would rather spend my money on for me. A more detailed fairground, or something as cool as the carousel, and I probably would have bought it.

You're unhappy because the set LEGO chose to produce doesn't meet your expectations, has elements in it which aren't to your liking, and will fail to capture the affection of anyone in your family. Unless you commissioned LEGO to design this set for you and your family, I don't understand this reaction.

No set is going to be a winner with everyone. Obviously, this one isn't for you, and that's cool. But if you must react this way, then be upset with yourself for not liking the set.

A) Uhhh.....It seems about all reactions people have had on this thread are based on whether it meets their liking or not. Pretty much any negative reaction on any Lego set I have ever seen on this forum is because it does not meet expectations,capture their attention or has elements not to their liking. It seems very odd to pull out this one thread when you could point to about any.

B) At the same time, I think everyone has a right to decide to also be upset with Lego even if it is an individual reaction. Again, that is not at all unusual to this forum. As an example, people that feel that this set is nothing more than a city set than an creator expert set, they have a right to be upset with Lego, if they so choose, for putting out a set less than their expectation for a Creator expert line. How many people were upset with Lego for getting rid of exclusive discounts? Should the instead simply be upset with themselves because the price is not to their liking?

As this thread very well shows, people react to new sets in various ways, and one reaction is not less than another reaction. People can have an individual reaction and still be disappointed, frustrated, angry with Lego, just as they can be elated, excited, or thrilled with Lego.

If anything, liked any on this thread, I had very different reactions based on a photo and based on a video.
    TheLoneTensorPitfall69Yellowcastledougts
  • jtrjtr Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2014
    I think it would look great in my lego city. Looking foward to adding it to my de-snowed WVM. I agree it very much a city set, but a very impressive one at that.

Looking foward to it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    I'll get a fair few of the sick-man head. They will look great in the Parisian Restaurant.

I doubt I'll bother with the set though. It will probably be fun for 15 seconds turning the wheel to make it spin. It is clever how it packs up and fits on the truck. The turning mechanism looks clever too. But it doesn't look much as a display model, and that is what I mainly do with this type of set.
    legomatt
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,798
    From my knowledge of funfairs, this set seems to be missing a gang of teenage youths.
    zipsforbananasmnbvcXefanBlueTaco
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,388
    edited April 2014
    I'll probably get it to display at shows using PF. I have no interest in displaying it at home though.
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,033
    Wow. Cannot believe the sentiment across the board here from positive to negative; particularly harsh for some reason.

Anyway my two cents, for what it's worth probably about two cents but I'll be picking this up because it was made by a great designer born and raised a couple states away from me and because it is an official creator expert label. For all you Star Wars junkies you know what I mean, dropping bills like it was nothing because the package says UCS!

Lastly, as I am sure is the case for many of us, if you don't get it and it retires and you don't have it???? Makes for a very unpleasant day.
    tamamahm said:

As this thread very well shows, people react to new sets in various ways, and one reaction is not less than another reaction. People can have an individual reaction and still be disappointed, frustrated, angry with Lego, just as they can be elated, excited, or thrilled with Lego.

If anything, liked any on this thread, I had very different reactions based on a photo and based on a video.

I fully understand you feeling disappointed, but I don't think anyone should be upset with LEGO. They're not forcing anyone to buy the set. To some, this is a much better deal than being able to use the 10% discount toward the purchase of an exclusive. There is no exclusive set you could buy at 10% off that would match the savings realized by not buying the Fairground Mixer.
  • KleiovousKleiovous UKMember Posts: 95
    To me it looks to be missing a baseplate, something to tie it all together- like on the back of the box.
    legomatt
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    In my view it's too bitty with no real centrepiece. Nice enough but not for me.
    CapnRex101dougts
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2014
    ericb said:

tamamahm said:

I fully understand you feeling disappointed, but I don't think anyone should be upset with LEGO. They're not forcing anyone to buy the set. To some, this is a much better deal than being able to use the 10% discount toward the purchase of an exclusive. There is no exclusive set you could buy at 10% off that would match the savings realized by not buying the Fairground Mixer.
    I think it's a little bit pretentious for you or anyone to dictate how people should or should not feel about anything. If people want to be upset with Lego for "squandering creative mana" on something divisive like this, that's their prerogative. This is a weird set, kinda a hybrid. I mostly agree with @Basta‌ in that it's a City set pretending to be something more. Lego went with the Expert label on this one, which, as you can see from the comments here, is held at a pretty lofty level, and usually indicates a set that is more than just piece count, play value and innovative compartmentalizing. If this was labeled City instead, I think there's a really good chance that everyone would be touting this as one of the greatest City sets ever created.

So what is "more" exactly? I think it's mostly completeness. Looking at the modulars, there is bulk. There are walls to those buildings, and they are enclosed. They are in a word, complete. I look at the Winter Village sets and think they are less so, because they have open sides, etc. The exception there is the Market, which seems more of a Winter Village add-on pack to me. Then there's this, which just screams City. The Grand Carousel is full of flourish (gold, gems, decapitated jester heads and flair everywhere), the Winter Village Market has a similar charm with the printed horses and unique canopy. I think the biggest fault I see with this set is that other than a few new glow-in-the-dark parts and a minifig face, this is something that many people can make with existing parts. And honestly, it's also a little weird that the kids are standing on the ride. This would have been the perfect opportunity to implement the long-awaited (official) bendable short legs.

I think it's a good set, but not great. What would have made it great to me? I'd say kick it up to $179, add more unique flair and include PF and actual lights.
    YellowcastlepharmjodbluedragonYodaliciousdougtstamamahm
    I can see getting upset with Lego over their recent harsh attitudes toward AFOLS, what I don't really understand is picking apart a set that won't even be released for three weeks. I mean if the images of it aren't up to your expectation maybe you can make your own carnival MOC with expert status and modular quality all in one.

I applaud the designers even if it's not 100% what I expected, they are the ones that love to build just like me. What I don't like are companies all about profit, that stuff needs to go away.

I think it's a little bit pretentious for you or anyone to dictate how people should or should not feel about anything. If people want to be upset with Lego for "squandering creative mana" on something divisive like this, that's their prerogative

I'm not being pretentious, I'm being reasonable. You may perceive a label or designation to stand for something...Expert being "complete", as you stated in your post...but that's all it is, your perception. And yes, there are probably many here who share the same perception. But is that what Expert is defined as in the LEGO dictionary? And even if it was, is it really that big of a deal when they release an Expert set in which the majority feel otherwise? So you feel they squandered a 10000 series number. Life will go on. I'm just being reasonable, as I know the world does not revolve around me and my tastes. That's why it's hard to understand someone getting mad at a company for releasing a product (which, by the way, it not essential to human survival) that does not meet her/his expectations.
    zipsforbananas
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    I nominate @legomatt‌ for the role of peacekeeper...please keep a copy of that post on your clipboard for any future thread derailments.

I'm in agreement that this is more of a play set than a display set, so the expert label and the age suggestion of 16+ perhaps hasn't hit the mark, but that's something that only the sales figures will show.
  • roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,332
    how many other sets have carried the Expert label , is it just the Horizon Express?
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    ^http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Creator/subtheme-Expert
    Seems so from the database, though I can think of at least 10232 Palace Cinema that had Expert printed on the box yet isn't listed under that subtheme, maybe others can think of more.
    I'll admit the excitement shown by Jaime the designer was a but over the top but that's neither here nor there, and overall I suspect positive and welcome feedback is always pleasant on the forums.

I just don't get the negativity personally and I think it's very UN-LEGO like and am surprised the forums have come to this, quite disappointing actually.

Again to each their own but golly where's the spirit! This is Carnivaaaal after all. : )
    roxio
    Parisian Restaurant also bears the expert title
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,096
    edited April 2014
    I think people are having the same issues that they had with the winter village market. That there's not enough substance to warrant the asking price, piece count be damned. I get that. I have zero plans to pick up this set so I'm viewing it strictly based on it's overall quality. I agree that if it had another ride or a larger structure (perhaps a fun house ala #6857) that would add perceived value. Or perhaps they should have made do without the hauling trucks and dropped the needless fencing to make it a $99 set.
    legomattYodalicious
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    edited April 2014
    ^^^^^ The Palace Cinema and Parisian Restaurant were both labelled Creator Expert but have been classed as Advanced Models in the database to keep them with the rest of the Modulars. This query should pick up all sets labelled as Creator Expert on the box.
    http://brickset.com/sets/query-1600
    zipsforbananas
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,256
    First, @jackson05, thanks for breaking this back in Feb.

Second.. It looks great, but for $150 dollars I expect a bit..more..
    I think most people do not have an issue with the set itself, it is neat, I like the idea the main rides work and it all packs up onto the trucks, but the price point of it is the issue for me.
    It does not appear to come with a motor, if it came with PF to run the main ride I could understand the 149.99 price tag. I get that it all folds up and it is a great looking set, but for something that will always be 149.99 for the US (ie no sales or discounts), I just do not see it doing that well.
    Because if you really break up this set, I just do not see it equaling its price tag.
    I would say, like others, it makes more sense at 119.99 USD
    jackson05Yodaliciousdougts
  • indigoboxindigobox Member Posts: 470
    I like it. For me Lego is about the enjoyment of building and enjoyment of seeing the end result.

I think the key with all Lego is that some people like some sets and others like others and that what makes the world go round.

For me this will be a set myself and my little boy will put on the kitchen table and play with and when finished pack it up and put the fairground on its respective trucks and have them driving past my modulars. Now I just need to buy some road plates.

Maybe it is the start of a fairground with other rides coming in the future to make a circus and fair ground.

All in all though I like it and it will be coming home, maybe with power functions.

CJ.
    legomatt
    I definitely see this as a building set. I don't plan on any long term hold with this or for much of a resale purpose. With that said I'll have one built and one kept in box.