Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO [email protected] - May the Fourth be with you Deals (Worldwide)

Comments

• DraugDraug CanadaMember Posts: 34
    CCC said:

That is absolutely crazy, why risk losing a family with two child lego fans for the sake of a cheap not-so-popular poly bag?

Funnier than that - we have FOUR kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. All following in the path of their AFOL Addict Father. Our household spends thousands and thousand each year on Lego (albeit only for a couple years since my dark age ended as my oldest daughter discovered Lego).

And yeah, I would say the as TLG targets resellers, they also feed the reseller market. Because of the "No Sale" policy on Exclusives, I have moved a lot of purchasing into the aftermarket - places like Craiglist, BrickLink and Kijiji (Cdn Classifieds site). I know sometimes I must have bought stolen sets - How else can you offer a NISB 10188 and 10221 for $500 total? And, even worse, they force me into reselling too - grabbing good sets on clearance at other retailers, and then trading them away for regular priced sets on the aftermarket. Truth be told, if the Lego Store just had sales that were competitive with all retailers, I'd spend ALL my Lego money at the Lego Store simply for convenience.

FollowsCloselydougtsTheBigLegoski
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    edited April 2014
    mathew said:

^ Lego has a love / hate relationship with AFOL and resellers. Their business decisions are so bipolar when it comes to us. Last time I was in the Lego store and I purchased the Palace Cinema, the guy was giving me a dirty look when I asked about using VIP points. It was as if he thought I was trying to circumvent the rules. Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth especially after dropping $175 in the store that day. Besides the occasional set for my son and myself I'm distancing myself from the hobby and I'm selling off most of my expensive models.

I think people have to also realize there is such a thing as a bad employee, and not the organization as a whole. I am always asked if I want to use my VIP points (pretty sure that employess are supposed to also ask if you want to use your points). I am never given a dirty look. If anyone gets that type of treatment that is what the survey is for. Get their name too, as the survey asks if there is a specific employee you want to single out. I'm sure they mean it solely for positive, but if there is an employee acting like that then speak to a manager or fill out the survey. But I would say to do that before making general statements about how 'LEGO' has a love hate relationship with its customers.
    cheshirecatYellowcastlepharmjod
  • tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    You don't even have to wait until May 4th for these promos anymore, can usually be picked up from resellers who have them in quantity weeks ahead of release...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-DARTH-REVAN-5002123-Polybag-Promo-Set-BNIP-Stock-/171301168021
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 981
    tom4086 said:

You don't even have to wait until May 4th for these promos anymore, can usually be picked up from resellers who have them in quantity weeks ahead of release...
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Star-Wars-DARTH-REVAN-5002123-Polybag-Promo-Set-BNIP-Stock-/171301168021

Wow $51 USD each. Unreal how 43 people have already bought one. Someone who has friends in high places is making a KILLING!

• Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Draug said:

The Lego store here in Calgary very much enforces 1 freebie per household. This month, both my daughters used their Christmas gift cards to make some Friends set purchases of their own. The store only gave my youngest daughter the free Friends bakery stand poly bag and refused the gift to my older daughter. I even argued a bit as it was very clear they were making their own purchases, but my protest fell on deaf ears. It was a bit annoying.

TLG is becoming penny wise and pound foolish. And what a foolish thing for the store manager to do!
    FollowsClosely
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    emmtwosix said:

I just hope the X-wing is included in the sale, otherwise I may just skip it this year.

I'm in the same boat...X-Wing or nothing.
  • Renegade007cjhRenegade007cjh Essex, UKMember Posts: 687
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, wouldn't mind an X-Wing at a decent discount, after missing out on the reduced B-Wing last year.

Unfortunately I really can't see them knocking 15% off any of the new sets (especially the Sandcrawler) and no doubt those of us on this side of the pond will get the shaft as normal :(

Still, hopefully they'll be *something* of interest as I do so want a Darth Revan figure!
  • dfurndfurn Member Posts: 194
    Here's some more info from some European Lego stores. I guess similar offers may appear elsewhere.

edited April 2014
    ^My German's a little rusty, but it looks like a good deal at 15%...

Living in the South for so long, my English is probably rusty too.
    y2joshBrickarmorGoldchainsSirKevbags
  • ZonZon Member Posts: 214
    Just my humble opinion, but having a promo minifig that is known to the general public isn't the best idea. I honestly have no idea who that guy is.
    FollowsClosely
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,004
    edited April 2014
    ^ So you are not the general public? :-)

How many people (from the general public) knew of TC-4 and what he looked like before the poly came out? I am sure if you put him on a list with 9 other names, made up of letters and numbers that sound like droids, many people would not have picked the real one. Yet the figure was still in massive demand.
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    English scans of the above flyer
  • BrickarmorBrickarmor USAMember Posts: 1,257
    I just have a bad feeling that the 15% will not apply to the sets shown. Probably just Microfighters and such.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    I agree. There might be one "big" set with a nice clearance price, like the B-Wing last year. That's my hope I guess.
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 523
    Ewoks would be nice.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^ I would guess if they're giving away those listed sets in the drawing that none of them will be discounted.
    FollowsClosely
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 999
    prevere said:

I agree. There might be one "big" set with a nice clearance price, like the B-Wing last year. That's my hope I guess.

Doubt it. Highly doubt it!

• DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Oh wow, a prize drawing. If I wanted to spend money while pretending I could win something I would buy lotto tickets. This is so stupid, it's bad enough we won't get discounts, but now I get to hear from all the Lego employees how lucky we are that we get to enter a one in a million prize drawing, oh yippee ki yay.

Maybe a chance at 50% off one in a thousand customers for the first 50 people was just too good for us AFOLS. Guess we should have savored our chances with the tickets promo. At least TLG is catching on to capitalizing on bull crap promos.

When do they start the monopoly game?
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    I don't see the issue with having prize draws, I think it's a great idea and it's probably meant for kids anyway.

• LuccideLuccide Member Posts: 42
    i wonder if they will have this prize draw in Australia
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    edited April 2014
    ^If the past is anything to go by, we will see the Promo fig and a much smaller selection of sets at the 15% off (sets that already have up to 100% markup on the US price).
    madforLEGO
    edited April 2014
    Dougout said:

Oh wow, a prize drawing. If I wanted to spend money while pretending I could win something I would buy lotto tickets.

The difference of course being with this, when you buy something to possibly win something you leave with something (what you bought) regardless of whether you win whereas with lotto tickets if you loose you just leave with some really uncomfortable toilet paper.

• CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    It says its Worldwide, means S&H is finally shipping to my region :D ?
    vwong19
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    Hothbricks just posted the list with the sets on "may the fourth"sale:
    http://www.hothbricks.com/2014/04/may-the-fourth-shophome-liste-sets-prix-reduit/
    Kinda unexpecting, but to be honest 15% off is pretty lame, even for the exclusives (most of them could get obtained couple of months ago for way cheaper)!
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,520
    This will be interesting, will Smyths offer 20% off these Models to get some sales perhaps?
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    I wonder if US stores will be the same.
  • richlrichl NYCMember Posts: 246
    Diggydoes said:

Kinda unexpecting, but to be honest 15% off is pretty lame, even for the exclusives (most of them could get obtained couple of months ago for way cheaper)!

I don't know, 15% off the Death Star seems pretty good to me at this point!
  • ShpadoinkleShpadoinkle 13 hours West of BillundMember Posts: 420
    Honestly at 15% off I will get both the X-Wing AND R2-D2. With the way things have been that may be the best deal I see in awhile here in the US.
    Pitfall69
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,079
    I know for US-citizens the "no discounts embargo" is pretty tough, and 15% off seems better than nothing, but over here in europe we don´t have the embargo (yet!) so not really tempted to buy anything from that list ;)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    15% is ok, but honestly with sales tax it winds up only being 5-7% off. And yes I still live in a state that is Amazon sales tax free. Unless there is a last minute "close out" sale on a particular set I don't see myself buying anything. Last year the B-Wing sale was a lot of fun even if it wasn't the most desirable set.
    madforLEGO
    edited April 2014
    I think 15% would be great.. if Licensed sets are not 15-30% over what they should be for a similar non-licensed set. Then State taxes wipe out anywhere from 5-10% for many folks.
    But LEGO is a company and they are in it to make money, so cannot be surprised.
    I guess for those hoping they could stock up on sets to sell dearly later will be put off by this.
    As long as I can buy non-licensed sets and still get the promo Ill be happy. I have been also eying some Marvel and DC superheroes... even though those are also 15-30% over retail of a non-licensed set as well, but at least I have more interest in those than another interpretation of the same set over and over again... Unless the Cantina will be available for May the 4th, then I may be interested.. overpricing and all.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,939
    No Ewok village reductions, disappointing - It's just about worth £160 (if holding out for a Smyths 20% off event), but i'd have been happy to get 15%, VIP points and a Darth Revan. Am I tempted enough to get a Sand crawler at full bat? Possibly, I have the money set aside for it.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    For a $400 set, my math gets me roughly 22% off with these deals. That's with 8% sales tax, 5% VIP, 5% cash back, and $20 net for selling Darth Revan. R2-D2 is 28% off, and X-Wing is 27% off using the same calculations. Not bad at all - I will be partaking if applicable in the US...
    FollowsCloselyPitfall69
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,513
    I am not counting on these deals being available in the US on the exclusives. If they are, it will undermine their policy with regard to other retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, and Target. That said, I hope it is true, not so much for these deals but the possibility of Amazon or someone else saying "Screw it, we are going to discount these too."
    FollowsCloselyjuggles7dougts
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,902
    Yes, yes indeed. An Amazon match on the 15% would be about the best we can hope for in the States. Darth Whoever polybag be damned!
  • ColoradoBricksColoradoBricks Denver, CO, USAMember Posts: 1,664
    edited April 2014
    No words about 15% off for US [email protected], now on the front page, just a "sale" on selected items.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2014
    Bandit said:

For a $400 set, my math gets me roughly 22% off with these deals. That's with 8% sales tax, 5% VIP, 5% cash back, and $20 net for selling Darth Revan. R2-D2 is 28% off, and X-Wing is 27% off using the same calculations. Not bad at all - I will be partaking if applicable in the US...

5% cash back from Discover or something?

Btw, I see a 28.5% discount with all those things on a $400 item.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    Bandit said:

That is if you can get $20 net after ebay, paypal and shipping fees. Darth Revan doesn't strike me as a minifig that will go for $30 in the aftermarket.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Not considering you can easily get Martian Manhunter for $15. Yes, he was available for longer, but he was also highly desired.
    FollowsClosely
    edited April 2014
    Just got the official US/Canada email asking to sign in to see the deals...

Free Darth Revan > $75
    Free Poster
    Select items on sale

No 15% to be seen.
    ^-How very underwhelming if that is the case.
    I already have what I want to buy lined up for Marvel and DC sets to hit that 75 dollar mark though.
    ^ It has to be $75 in Star Wars.
    TheLoneTensor
    edited April 2014
    ^Good point. Here's hoping for a 50% sale on the UCS Xwing.
    TXLegoguyFarmer_John
  • lordzaraklordzarak OH, United StatesMember Posts: 329
    Just as Darth Revan is about to be released, he is no longer canon. Nor is any of EU anymore.
    http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html
    FollowsClosely

^Good point. Here's hoping for a 50% sale on the UCS Xwing.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Not too tightly, but crossed all the same.

TXLegoguy
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^^The EU wipe-out mandate from Disney is old news. But rumor is there is a short list of EU characters that will be preserved. I believe Revan is one.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    I got an offer that said Star Wars sale on select items.

I imagine stores will be slightly discounting sets that don't sell well at all. What a load of crap
    Past promotions have ignore the theme purchase requirement for the promo so I would expect it to here as well. I'm planning accordingly for both possibilities.
    ^ This one does say Star Wars. Not sure if that makes a difference when you actually go to add the items to your cart, but it does state it on the site for now.
    With the Sand Crawler available, LEGO is going to need to make me a great offer on anything else to bite SW-ish.
    TXLegoguy