Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

WARNING- Fraudulent LEGO eBay Seller/Buyer to Avoid Reaper-Creeper

samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284
edited April 2014 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hi All,

I know it has been awhile since I've posted, but I wanted to give everyone a heads up on a very fraudulent eBay seller. The main reason that I wanted to warn everyone, is that he does have 100% positive feedback.

He approached me with a trade offer (which I'll admit does come with its risks), but he assured me with his 100% (which is legitimate) feedback that he wouldn't pull any tricks. I did everything to ensure that the trade would go smoothly. I guess after years of being spoiled trading with such great people here on Brickset I trusted the guy to much. I sent my item out as specified, and he sent his out. He confirmed that he received his item... I opened my package and the only thing I received was a rock. I've since complained to him, and not to my surprise, he has dropped contact with me.

So considering he has 100% feedback and how appears to be dealing in the LEGO industry, I figured this was worth posting to warn everyone to tread cautiously if you ever do business with him. His eBay id is reaper-creeper, and he is from Virginia Beach, Virginia.

If anyone would be willing, please send him an eBay message saying that you have been warned about him, and that you will not be doing business with him. I would appreciate that as I attempt to apply pressure on him to do the right thing, and either return the item I sent him or pay for it. I realize that chances of either happening are slim, but it's worth the effort to try for me.

Thanks everyone.

Samuel
y2joshbobabricks

Comments

• tom4086tom4086 Member Posts: 689
    edited April 2014
    Sam, that's absolutely terrible. I'm really sorry to hear that a genuine guy like you has been subject to such devastation.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    I'm on it!!!
  • starfailurestarfailure Member Posts: 138
    edited April 2014
    why didn't you give him negative feedback yet?

edit: nevermind. trade was done outside ebay
  • tefarreltefarrel Member Posts: 49
    How do you search for him using his userID?
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    This is awful @samiam391‌, I am very sorry this has happened to you. From the sound of things, it seems like this creeper is the one that should be receiving rocks.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    Looks like this person lived up to his name "reaper-creeper" - a weird person who gathers and takes for a profit.

This might of helped (not to be a jerk, but I would of searched all information I had about a person who approached me about trading, i.e., id, name, address):
    bit.ly/1k7APp5
    @samiam391 is very trustworthy and sometimes people like Sam can trust other people a little too much. I don't think that is the case though. Sam does tons of transactions and you are bound to run into a scammer eventually. I'm really sorry this happened :(
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2014
    File a police report. If you sent USPS, we're also talking mail fraud, in which case the FBI might be able to help.

Seriously.
    pharmjodtefarrelchuckpKingDavegivmellis
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    ^Good suggestion. In one of the threads against this guy, mail fraud was the chosen approach to get things fixed.
    I actually know 2 FBI agents. Next time they come over I will ask.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    You might get more traction and help from the FBI if you state that this person is a registered Conservative who ripped you off. The IRS might also get involved and go after this person. :)

Seriously, I would suck it up and move forward. You gambled and lost because this person bluffed and stole from you. Sure it was wrong, but you played the game and lost. Dealing with folks in a virtual setting is different than in person.
  • adol7adol7 Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2014
    Well, the original post was more of a warning to us, not so much FBI talk.
    Skip the FBI, just post his address so we can return some rocks. >:D

I have a question though. Was the rock in a LEGO set box, or just in a regular box?
    Not that I'm defending the guy in any way, but I just remember seeing posts of people who've bought sets at a store and found out they were returned with different contents. Then again, a rock wouldn't quite rattle like the sound we all know well.
    pharmjod
  • msandersmsanders Member Posts: 935
    Thats completely crap! Are you sure he isn't using the another sellers ebay ID? May be it isn't him and he was using someone's ID to make you think he was genuine?
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    If I were you, I would wait until he listed an item worth what he stole from you, buy it, and after you get it, report a claim with eBay/paypal that he sent you a rock. With eBay policy as of late, I am sure you'd win. Turnabout is fair play... (Of course you'd likely have to use a different eBay id)
  • BlueMoonUSABlueMoonUSA Member Posts: 116
    @Bandit Problem is though, all his ebay feedback is as a buyer. He has zero seller feedback. Presumably therefore he doesn't sell on ebay. Only buys.....or scams.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    ^ ah. Then I would do this. :)

http://www.poopsenders.com
    Pitfall69BlueMoonUSADougoutDoubleD
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,246
    ^ Man that is great. I have a former tenant I may have to send one of those too at some point in the future.
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    How about this one? :-) http://bit.ly/1hqwHQW
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,246
    ^ I bet someone out there has an app that will put a time interval in something like that so they get a text every couple minutes for weeks just to split it up over more time.
    What is even better is he gets charged for incoming texts. I believe incoming is just the same as outgoing and if he doesn't have unlimited texts, he is in for a huge bill :)
  • bluedragonbluedragon United StatesMember Posts: 487
    In Britain you only pay for outgoing texts (or used to).
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,215
    There is also the problem of being accused of harassment, or just getting beaten up.
  • CrowkillersCrowkillers Member Posts: 757
    edited April 2014
    What a f*****g scumbag move by that guy..

I am not about to harass a "buyer" on Ebay and get myself in trouble though...
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,887
    I just blocked him and am done. Sorry Sam. That was a dickish thing to have done to you.
  • BRCBRC Member Posts: 125
    edited April 2014
    That sucks, especially when you felt you could trust him. Same happened to me with that @mrtonytj scumbag. Apparently he still hasn't been banned from here either.
    ^Ahhhh. I was looking for that thread to find out what happened with all of that @BRC
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,839
    I can see this is the dark side of the forum :P
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,284

I can see this is the dark side of the forum :P

Unfortunately.

Just a heads up to all that commented, thanks for your kind words, encouragement, and advice.

I've decided to file for mail fraud. I consider myself fortunate that I've never had to do this before... but at the same time it leaves with a terrible lack of experience. Does anyone have hints/tips to the process?
    I need to lean on the Brickset community for this one.

I thought this issue was over.. but it isn't.

My "trade partner" writes me today:
    "lol this is funny to me, unpaid item case. Enjoy my Mr. Gold jerk. I know damn well you got it you liar. "

Then opens a case on eBay for the item I traded with:
    "The seller made me send him the payment via mail. I was forced to send him a USPS money order as he said he wanted to avoid paypal fees. So i mailed the payment and have yet to get my item. I've contacted police about this matter"

I already know a specific direction I'm taking this. eBay messages alone will be easy to prove that he received his item. However, I'm definitely taking this to the authorities. I was considering letting this go, hoping he had learned his lesson, but apparently he has a ridiculous amount of nerve. Anyone have advice on the steps to take?
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    edited May 2014
    I guess I'm unclear as to what the initial trade was borne from. Did he win an item you were selling and then offer to 'pay' via trade? Or vise versa? I guess I'm confused on that point.

Regardless, if he's lying, there're going to be a few things he can't provide, not the least of which is communication from you demanding to complete the sale outside of eBay. So long as you've retained all your communication and it's as contradictory as it sounds, you should be in good shape to pursue a claim.

Further, since it seems like there wasn't actually any payment involved, he either won't have a receipt for the USPS money order he's citing, or he'll have a receipt and they'll be able to see where the money order was deposited.

To report him, your best option is to file a claim via the official US Postal Inspectors website:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Without more information, I'm not sure what else to tell you, though that should be enough to get you started.
    ^You can file a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center as well.
    y2josh
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    This seems to be a very unusal way to sell on ebay. Difficult to grasp what went on. But conducting trade outside of ebay - inside ebay - is not a good idea. I doudt ebay approves of that.
    The scammer does appear to have strong hands unless you sent it signed for.
    Damn man, this is why I stayed away from Mr Gold, I was looking for the sea captain and paintball player while y'all were dreaming big :P
    And just now that I read this guy's user I don't think I would want to be doing any deals with this guy "reaper-creeper" unless I wanted somebody dead, I mean his name is kind of creepy... And reapy. I hope this reapy creepy guy pays for his crimes!!
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,939
    Yeah, when I saw the title of this thread I thought "reaper-creeper" was a name for the type of scam. :P
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Unfortunately there is not much the authorities do in these he said/she said cases. My advice is not to take it personally, just chalk it up to experience and move on. Don't waste any time or energy on this bottom feeder. Next time only trade for cash, and make sure you get the cash first. Works 100% of the time.

Thanks for alerting us so we can add him to our BBL. I have about 30 ebay scammer IDs I wish I could post here but I am guessing it is against the rules?
  • NorlegoNorlego ScotlandMember Posts: 444
    I could add 4 to the list. One with over 1000 feedback.
    Of course things can get lost in post, but it is the way they ask for tracking.....
    I've dealt with the situation at hand appropriately. Based on comments and my own intution I've also ruled in not filing a case, as there is simply not enough proof.

I'll leave everyone with the following advice:
    -Do everything through eBay.
    -Be careful when you trade.
    -Don't buy/sell with reaper-creeper (please spread the word, no one should have to deal with him or go through the abuse I've gone through with him).

Thanks to all that commeneted with encouragement and advice. This is what makes Brickset great.

Samuel

Mods you may close @Yellowcastle‌ @rocao‌.
    Pitfall69plasmodiumBrickarmor
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    Sorry about being scammed. Thanks for sharing the info. I just blocked that user.
This discussion has been closed.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.