Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

How did you get started with LEGO?

2»

Comments

• BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    Pitfall69 said:

Can anyone tell me if there is a related topic about childhood collections? I would like to start a topic about collections you had as a child, but with pictures; much like the current Collections thread.

Let me know when you make that. I have all my old sets ('79 - '88) out for my kids to play with now, and will take pictures.

YodaliciousPitfall69
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ Me too. Well, sort of. My son isn't old enough yet, but I couldn't be happier that my LEGO was the one thing I never got rid of. I have a great deal from 1979-1992, a resurgence of sets from 1999-2000, and now a number from 2012-Present. So glad I still have the sets from my youth. Some of then seem so basic now when I put them together, but they bring back great memories.
  • afireinsideafireinside MichiganMember Posts: 38
    In the late 80s early 90s i got some smaller space sets from family. When we moved i met 2 different kids who had many of the castle and pirate sets. I have/had 2 castles with molded bases one grey one black sorry forgot the set numbers and other small castle sets such as the small dragon boat ect. In the 2000s i bought a xwing and vaders tie fighter i gave all to my nephew. We got my 3 year old the cinderella set and saw the monster haunted house at the LEGO store and this began the obsession again.
  • afireinsideafireinside MichiganMember Posts: 38
    edited April 2014
    And we bought every set except the zombies and the ghost train in the last few weeks. And my nephew is giving us back all my old sets soon!
  • StuckTogetherStuckTogether Member Posts: 42
    When I was a kid, Lego was not seen that much where I lived, I only knew one friend who had any. I grew up building giant cranes with Meccano.

As an adult when I was at my future wife's apartment, I bought some just for fun, got a battery motor and some gears and made oddball vehicles, but it was not really an adult toy yet. When Technic appeared I got very interested, and bought a lot of that and some trains. Later I bought lots of Lego for my kids, but never let them play with my stuff (unless I supervised) and lose parts. The last time I moved I ended up in a smaller house and it's all in boxes in the back shed. I've been getting interested again, and plan on washing it all off and making inventory - Racoons ate some of the pieces and most of the boxes. I'm looking at getting an Arduino to play with - I'm a software developer.
  • jdylakjdylak Member Posts: 281
    My first set was Moon Landing. It was ok but I was more into the Star Wars action figures. But then the minifigure we all know and love was introduced and I was in love! Those where the days of City, Space and Castle. I didn't have.. a lot then but my parents stockpiled me up on the old road plates, buying me stacks of them nonstop. Lego then took a backset when I realized how cool GI Joe was. When Joe got too "futuristic", I was lost.

Thing is I have always loved miniatures. Be it models or trains or diaramas. I just SUCKED at building a model anything. Hmm, I can build Lego and they are like models so back I went.

I always stuck to my "original three" of City, Space, and Castle. I took a break when the sets started getting bad. Geez, some of those 90's sets are hideous. I was always looking for the old sets I never had and building those for my collection.

I now have three separate collections started/saved for my two current and one upcoming children. My oldest gets all my classic City sets. It was what we worked on and had fun with when she was growing up. My youngest daughter will get all the current City and Castle sets. My next child will get all of my classic Space and Castle sets. It's neat to have all of these things now and be able to pass them down when I am gone.
    OldfanYodalicious
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 545
    I had mostly smaller sets when I was a kid, with a few of the larger sets - 6276 Eldorado Fortress and 6396 International Jetport were the largest. I had loads of smaller Space sets, but no big spaceships or monorails. I went into my dark ages in 1993 or so. In 2008, I started working 2nd shift and wanted a hobby to keep myself busy when I was home alone. I decided to get my childhood collection which had been stored in my parents basement for the previous 15 years.

After putting together all of my old sets, I decided I wanted to get some new stuff. I went to the Lego Store in the Mall of America, and I saw that the 10177 Boeing Dreamliner was being clearanced off for $40. It looked fantastic, and it was by far the biggest set I had ever attempted (little did I know I would tackle the UCS Falcon the next year, as well as the Eiffel Tower, and Death Star). I also went back and bought a lot of the sets I wanted as a kid - Airport Shuttle, Futuron Monorail, Black Seas Barracuda.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,822
    I had Duplo sets as a young child. My first LEGO System set was #6665 River Runners and my twin brother's was #6537 Hydro Racer.

I never really had a "dark age" where I got rid of my old LEGO. I didn't have much of a social life in school, and bullies didn't tease me about being into LEGO because there were so many better and easier ways to get under my skin. Nor did my family really pressure me to "grow out of it" — after all, my dad is an AFOL himself. So I guess my story is not as impressive as a lot of AFOLs' stories.