Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego is a tool of Satan, warns Polish priest

LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/10736999/Lego-is-a-tool-of-Satan-warns-Polish-priest.html

Father Slawomir Kostrzewa says toy company represents 'world of death' and that Zombie and Monster Fighter mini-figures can lead children 'to the dark side'

Father Slawomir Kostrzewa says toy company represents 'world of death' and that Zombie and Monster Fighter mini-figures can lead children 'to the dark side'

Lego's Monster Fighters range features Lord Vampyre, a fanged Dracula-like character.

A Polish priest has warned parents to be on their guard against Lego, warning the plastic blocks are a tool of Satan and can "destroy" children's souls.

In a presentation aimed at parents, Father Slawomir Kostrzewa said the popular Danish toy company had taken a lurch to the dark side with its series of Monster Fighters and Zombie mini-figures, and that they "were about darkness and the world of death".

"Friendly fellows have been replaced by dark monsters," he explained. "These toys can have a negative effect on children. They can destroy their souls and lead them to the dark side."

Lego's Monster Fighters range features Lord Vampyre, a fanged Dracula-like character, who battles the likes of Doctor Rodney Rathbone and Major Quinton Steele as they try to prevent him from "cloaking the world in darkness".

The priest also cited research by New Zealand's University of Canterbury that found the facial expressions of Lego figures have also become angrier over the years, and that this compounded their evil potential.

"Facial expressions may be lead to confusion between good and evil," said Father Kostrzewa. "It appears the good suffer in battle and the 'villains' have a face showing satisfaction with their evil deeds."

But the claims that Lego blocks are becoming the work of the devil was dismissed by at least one expert.

"These are just blocks," retorted Monika Filipowska, a psychologist interviewed by the Super Express newspaper. "Linking them to Satan is just wrong, and all that will happen is that children will be afraid of them now."

Father Kostrzewa's attack on Lego is not the first time he has accused toys of harbouring evil. Hello Kitty and My Little Pony have also come under his scrutiny, with the latter being described as a "carrier of death".

Lego was unavailable for comment.
Bumblepantstedward

Comments

• cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 244
    edited April 2014
    Is this guy on drugs or something?

I'm Methodist, and I'm pretty sure no one at church would ever think this way. Plus, Ole Kirk was a Christian himself.
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Mama said Vicki Valencourt and Lego was the devil
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,261
    I knew this already. My soul was destroyed a few years ago if I recall correctly...
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,552
    But does the Vampyre Castle resemble a famous Polish Monastery and is therefore a blatant attempt to blaspheme somehow? Maybe they can team up with the Austrian Turkish group and make a joint protest.
    Pitfall69chuckp
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
    Lol. Was thinking the exact same thing.
    Pitfall69
  • binaryeyebinaryeye USMember Posts: 1,734
    Not really on-topic, but this reminds me of a conversation I heard between a mother and her son in a somewhat rural North Carolina Wal-Mart in May 2005.

Son: Can I get this talking Darth Vader mask? [pushes button]
    Mother: Uh-uh. That sounds like the voice of the devil!
    Son: That's not what the devil sounds like!
    LegoboyPitfall69khmellymelTheBigLegoskijasorGurooo
  • ravnutravnut South BrumMember Posts: 23
    ^LOL, Brilliant!
    Pitfall69
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
    edited April 2014
    ^^ That is the perfect scene right there for the next horror movie.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,303
    You want to hear the devil, try talking with my grandma before her coffee and fiber-con.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,497
    Hmm. This must be another April Fool.
  • HokieJoe99HokieJoe99 Member Posts: 348
    He's a fool all right. Not sure what the month has to do with it.
    TheBigLegoski
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Member Posts: 115
    A prime example of sniffing too many my little ponies....

Watch out @pitfall69 or it won't be long before you're denouncing Lego and it's path to the dark side!
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    @Pitfall69 Oh crap!! Apparently you've been sniffing pure evil all this time!
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
    "2 Thou shalt not make unto thee any Monster Fighters"
    klatu003
    I do get a little "testy" when I don't get my morning sniff ;)
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 612
    That's preposterous! LEGO is in no way associated with darkness and evil, it's been a great toy both for fun and for encouraging little minds to think big and be creative. Many an engineer (self included) credits playing with LEGO as kickstarting their successful careers.

Hello Kitty and MLP, on the other hand: those toys have the devil's fingerprints all over them.
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 718
    @Pitfall69 - I was in the Friends aisle at Walmart today and decided to "sniff a pony." They do have a unique, piquant bouquet.
    Pitfall69
  • rancorbaitrancorbait Manitoba CanadaMember Posts: 1,850
    ^ I'm sure you're not the only other Bricksetter to try it...
    klatu003
  • NinjapaulrunNinjapaulrun Member Posts: 2
    I dont think monster fighters is associated with satanic things,but for sure harry potter is.
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    And if Lego ever did model an actual Satan, they would most likely be condemned for promoting religion. lol ;oP
    I don't see why we can't have a devil or an angel minifigure without people getting all worked up.
    edited April 2014
    I think perhaps religious groups don't like their IP's being used without permission. Hah!
    :oD LOL
    Pitfall69gifinimjasor
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,379
    I think he's right. It's the devil that is making me spend all of this money on toys.
    LusiferSam
  • ludzikludzik US (SoCal)Member Posts: 430
    I am Polish and a Catholic and I am ashamed for his small mindedness and fanticisim... Please do not judge the nation and people by actions of idiots...
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited April 2014
    Monsters and sorcerers don't bother me. It's those suburb people who keep their lawns just a little too neat. My money's on them being the serial killers.
    TheLegoKid
    edited April 2014
    ...The Greater Good.
    Brewer51
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 466

I think he's right. It's the devil that is making me spend all of this money on toys.

I think you're right. Why can't I have a normal vice like drinking or women? This is all be better tomorrow.

• KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212
    Any thing that's fun in life, is either illegal, immoral or fattening!

Actually, I was reading up, and found something that all 19th polish priests have in common!
    They're all dead.

Although that might not necessarily be true. This priest just might be from back in the dark-ages ....
  • plasmodiumplasmodium UKMember Posts: 1,936
    Ya know, all of you who are getting riled up, I would look again at the date this was posted...
  • gifinimgifinim UKMember Posts: 174
    ^ true, but every so often someone from a religious organization will say something like this for real (Jabbas palace?), so this is perfectly plausible. But I do think this one is a product of Legoboys imagination!
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    I googled "my little pony a carrier of death" because i thought that was hilarious

No results found only mentioned in the above article.
    Bumblepants
  • zipsforbananaszipsforbananas WalesMember Posts: 250
    edited April 2014
    @cody6268‌, @ludzik‌ and especially @HokieJoe99‌ - you might want to Google "April Fool's Day jokes," your comments are almost funnier than the article!! ;)
  • scrumperscrumper UKMember Posts: 323
  • TheLegoKidTheLegoKid Member Posts: 16
    The only evil thing about Lego is when you step on it. You have searing pain and a near death experience. In a few cases some have had a tragic death stepping on a Lego. Special precautions have to take place after on has stepped on a 2x2 translucent piece. Most people have to have their foot amputated after stepping on a Lego. That why Lego is the devil.

(All fun and games. Lego is not the devil and the best toy in the world)
    scrumper said:
    gifinim said:

^ true, but every so often someone from a religious organization will say something like this for real (Jabbas palace?), so this is perfectly plausible. But I do think this one is a product of Legoboys imagination!

Well, seeing @scrumper‌'s comment, I'm not so sure any more! Maybe they are putting a bit of truth into their joke to make it more believable?
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    Ok I'm going to go there.. If zombies are Satanic why did Jesus raise the dead and himself? Doesn't that make Christianity based on the teaching of a zombie? =)
    graphite said:

Ok I'm going to go there.. If zombies are Satanic why did Jesus raise the dead and himself? Doesn't that make Christianity based on the teaching of a zombie? =)

Well, if you assume anyone coming back from the dead must be a zombie you'd be right, but the Bible's description of people Jesus raised doesn't sound like zombies, and Jesus after the resurrection is certainly not a zombie.
    Jesus raised people whole, not still half dead. And Jesus was raised glorious, more than before, described in 1 Corinthians 15 as the firstfruits of the resurrection to come, and seen in spectacular detail in Revelation 1.

In short, you're right about Jesus rising from the dead being central to Christianity, but you've made a bit of a false assumption as to what the result of that is.

(I hope I've not just answered a joke question with a serious response, but apart from flagging up that it was a risqué topic it seemed a serious question.)
    rancorbait
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    ^ I was hoping that the smiley face would have given away the sarcasm but I guess not, so you did in fact answer a joke question with a serious response. I am familiar with what the bible says and what is meant by it.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,317
    So a bit like Luke's hand after Vader cuts it off?
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Haunted House is the only set left in Monster Fighters that Lego still sells. Isn't this guy a little late with his warning? Seems like parents couldn't really buy MF if they wanted to.
    ^Not The Zombies at least ;)
    TheLoneTensor
    edited April 2014
    graphite said:

^ I was hoping that the smiley face would have given away the sarcasm but I guess not, so you did in fact answer a joke question with a serious response. I am familiar with what the bible says and what is meant by it.

Aww well, you mentioned an elephant in the room so maybe I've made it funnier by throwing myself into an elephant trap! :P
    The whole article is a bit strange, as there are things which point to it being an April fools (the date and subject matter - ie, MF has been EOL for a while now), and things which point to it not being (the fact that at least part of it is true).

Maybe Father Przwski (or whatever his name was) just published this late so he can claim it was his article that made Lego stop selling MF? (Like the Turkish dudes said about Jabba's Palace)