Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego club changes?

We just got back from this months Lego club meeting and were let down after looking in my sons goodie bag. All that he got was the shirt, a poster, a minifig and a coupon for 10%off a DC superheros set. Normally they include a $10 set as well. Was this omission a mistake or a cost cutting measure? I hope it was a mistake because I frankly cannot justify spending $20 for a shirt, minifig, and 1hr of building. Especially since most of us end up buying additional sets after the build. If it is cost cutting, it will probably backfire as many people will stop attending and in turn not make as many purchases.

Comments

• SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    Well in the UK it has been cancelled altogether sadly so I would say enjoy it while you can. We know how much they like to align global policy.
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,183
    What minifigure was included in the goody bag? I was thinking about signing my son up next month. Do you have pictures of the goodies?
  • Wil348Wil348 Member Posts: 240
    Why was it stopped in the UK?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,727
    edited March 2014
    I believe it didn't make commercial sense to continue.
  • PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    @vwong19‌ The format has changed a little over time but here is how it usually works. Kids gather around as an employee introduces the theme and asks some trivia. The kids are then given a build assignment and split up to one of several tables that have bins of clean pristine parts. Once done they take the build up to an employee who then asks them questions about the build. They are then given a minifig. Usually it is one of several minifigs from whatever the theme is. Sometimes the kids get to close which one they want, other times they pick one at random. Sometime during the event they get a bag (as they enter or as they leave). The bag has historically contained a small T-shirt for the given theme, a small set, and a $5 off $20 coupon. However the coupons lately have been 10% off sets of the particular theme. And now the set is no longer present. Once in a while they also hand out left over promotional items that also fit the theme but that is not too frequent.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    edited March 2014

We know how much they like to align global policy.

except when it comes to discounts on exclusives, which seem to be alive and well in Europe long after being banned in the USA
  • KiwiLegoMeisterKiwiLegoMeister New ZealandMember Posts: 212

@vwong19‌ The format has changed a little over time but here is how it usually works. Kids gather around as an employee introduces the theme and asks some trivia. The kids are then given a build assignment and split up to one of several tables that have bins of clean pristine parts. Once done they take the build up to an employee .

OK, when Lego have an 'event' for kids here in New Zealand, they usually do this bit. But then we go astray.
    The kids will receive a little freebie (small poly-bag, currently one for the boys, and a girly one for the girls). and ....
    ... nothing.

Never seen t-shirts here, or discount coupons or anything.
    These events are usually hosted at one of our major toy-retailers, and they might have a special on Lego during the event, maybe 10 or 20% off all Lego, but coupons or vouchers don't enter in to it.
    They might have a lucky draw spot prize of a reasonable size Lego set for the best 'build' - again, usually one each for boys and girls.

Oh well. Anything is better than nothing, for encouraging my little Miss 12yo to continue my Lego OCD through into her adulthood.
    Good luck Lego.
    Wil348 said:

Why was it stopped in the UK?

There was chatter about a new scheme with the hope of reaching more children. Possibly through schools. But in all honesty I'm with @Legoboy . It ran for two hours on a Sunday morning so extra staffing costs etc. If it wasn't showing a return, despite staff and kids enjoying it then goodbye LEGO Club.

dougts said:

We know how much they like to align global policy.

except when it comes to discounts on exclusives, which seem to be alive and well in Europe long after being banned in the USA
    How right you are although hardly widespread a small discount can be found. I don't know the answer to this but I wonder if because of different laws/regulations it isn't possible to implement such a policy within the EU?

• PicopiratePicopirate Member Posts: 315
    @KiwiLegoMeister‌ What I was describing was a Lego club meeting held at a Lego store. These cost $25 to attend (though VIPs get a $5 discount). So I expect a bit more than the free polybag events that are held a various retailers. And I certainly expect more than a promotional T-shirt and minifig. There would be more value going to a department store and getting a shirt and small set of his choosing.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950

@KiwiLegoMeister‌ What I was describing was a Lego club meeting held at a Lego store. These cost $25 to attend (though VIPs get a $5 discount). So I expect a bit more than the free polybag events that are held a various retailers. And I certainly expect more than a promotional T-shirt and minifig. There would be more value going to a department store and getting a shirt and small set of his choosing.

I don't know if I exect a bit more. For 2 kids, $40 gets you a 2 T-shirts which are easily $10 each, a tiny set/keychain/minifig/polybag which is usually worth about $4-5 each and an hour of fun interaction with your kids. It's very competitive with the cost of a movie, not nearly as spoon fed and you get to take home goodies.

Sometimes you even get a little more too, like the chance for a bigger (~$20) set or the aforementioned coupons.